Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Airport Upgrade and Standby Priority List (“PALL”) Order (master thread)

Old Apr 21, 2013, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: VFR
Airport Upgrade and Standby Order, Priority “PALL” List
Questions, Upgrade Anomalies, Issues, etc.
NOTE: Complimentary upgrades are now ordered based on (1) Status, (2) 12 month rolling Loyalty Points, (3) Time and date of upgrade request.

NOTE: As of 1 Jan 2017, your travel companion will "borrow" your PALL listing. Link.

Main PALL list codes. Passengers are ordered by code, then elite status, then other factors. Additional codes may be entered to designate other information, such as companions traveling together.
  • OS# = Confirmed Economy passenger awaiting seat assignment.
  • RF = Confirmed First Class passenger awaiting seat assignment.
  • DSR# = Standby First Class passenger, confirmed in Economy. Usually used for involuntary downgrades of paid First passengers.
  • VIP# = Passenger awaiting a SWU upgrade.
  • MLG# = Passenger awaiting a mileage and copay upgrade. This may be the same priority as VIP, i.e. VIP1 = MLG1, VIP2 = MLG2, etc.
  • UPG# = Confirmed Economy passenger awaiting a complimentary, or elite sticker upgrade. Within a status group, passengers are ordered by 12 month rolling loyalty points followed by time and date of upgrade request.
  • RI# = Revenue involuntary standby passenger (bumped from another flight due to oversold condition or travel disruptions). Within a status group, passengers are ordered by check-in time.
  • RV# = Revenue voluntary standby passenger. Within a status group, passengers are ordered by check-in time.
  • RV = Non-status revenue passengers on voluntary standby, and certain staff travel.
  • D% = Non-revenue standby passenger (AA employees, family, and friends), where % is an additional number code pertaining to the type of pass and not related to elite status. See the Staff Travel / Buddy Pass Thread.
  • VOL = Volunteer for bump to a later flight. Passengers are ordered by time of volunteering (first come-first served).
  • DG = Passenger with involuntary (or voluntary) downgrade in class-of-service.
  • RL = "Flat Tire Rule" passenger missing a flight through no fault of their own or AA (L=Late, in this case). Note that in some circumstances, AA may offer a confirmed seat on a later flight instead.
  • -T = Through passenger - Addition of this suffix gives priority over other passengers in the same status group, overriding normal time-based ranking. This suffix is supposed to be used for passengers connecting from another flight.
Status indicator numbers UPG/VIP (#) = 1 = Concierge Key; 2 = Executive Platinum; 3 = Platinum Pro; 4 = Platinum, 5 = Gold; no number = no status (e.g. UPG2/VIP2 for EP).

C/o sensei:

The following UPG priority levels are now in effect:
  • UPG1/VIP1 Concierge Key
  • UPG2/VIP2 Executive Platinum
  • UPG3/VIP3 Platinum Pro
  • UPG4/VIP4 Platinum
  • UPG5/VIP5 Gold
  • UPG/VIP No status
UPGC is used for operational upgrades

Revenue Standbys are cleared in the following order:
  • RIT (involuntary, transit)
  • RI (involuntary)
  • RV (voluntary)
  • RL (late)
*Numbers corresponding to elite status will determine the order of the passengers within each category.

All revenue standbys are cleared before any non-revenue standbys

Older posts have been archived to this thread.
Print Wikipost

Airport Upgrade and Standby Priority List (“PALL”) Order (master thread)

Old Jan 6, 2017, 11:53 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by flyalways
Can you clarify this for me please ? If a SWU request is wait-listed for EXP and
he is going to clear just as a VIP, will AA not use the SWU ?

Thanks in advance...
Originally Posted by akcae
VIP=SWU
UPG=500mi "sticker"
Although I might be wrong, I think the question is will an SWU be pulled if an EXP requests an SWU upgrade for a domestic only itinerary but only clears at the gate along with sticker upgrades? I remember on a JFK-SFO flight last year I had requested an SWU--my upgrade cleared at the gate, and I never saw an SWU get pulled. I am not sure if that was a mistake or not, so I guess I am wondering the same thing as flyalways.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 12:52 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by babypuwet
How do companions PALL work? Is it only one companion? And does it have to be the same PNR? Also, what priority is a nonstatus passenger with SWU?
IME one travel companion can "borrow" your status. A travel companion can be on a separate PNR (but will not reflect as travel companion unless you request it). If there is more than one other than yourself on one PNR, AFAIK nobody will "borrow" your status.

A nonstatus passenger who is not the travel companion and wishes to use a SWU is in the request queue based on their native status: VIP (no number) = no status, and therefore after:

"The following UPG priority levels are now in effect:

UPG1/VIP1 Concierge Key
UPG2/VIP2 Executive Platinum
UPG3/VIP3 Platinum Pro
UPG4/VIP4 Platinum
UPG5/VIP5 Gold" (sensei)

Last edited by JDiver; Jan 6, 2017 at 12:57 pm
Old Jan 6, 2017, 1:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP, TK Elite, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by flyingeph12
Although I might be wrong, I think the question is will an SWU be pulled if an EXP requests an SWU upgrade for a domestic only itinerary but only clears at the gate along with sticker upgrades? I remember on a JFK-SFO flight last year I had requested an SWU--my upgrade cleared at the gate, and I never saw an SWU get pulled. I am not sure if that was a mistake or not, so I guess I am wondering the same thing as flyalways.
Yes..You are right, that was my question. I just called the EXP desk and
what they told me is that they go by the time-stamp ! That means for
EXP it will always be the free upgrade that will clear before the SWU.
(since it is automatically requested at the booking and assuming you
apply SWU later)

If the boarding pass shows R then it is the free upgrade and C is the SWU
upgrade. Does that sound right ?
Old Jan 6, 2017, 2:02 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by flyalways
Yes..You are right, that was my question. I just called the EXP desk and
what they told me is that they go by the time-stamp ! That means for
EXP it will always be the free upgrade that will clear before the SWU.
(since it is automatically requested at the booking and assuming you
apply SWU later)

If the boarding pass shows R then it is the free upgrade and C is the SWU
upgrade. Does that sound right ?
Well, in theory an SWU can clear any time (even more than 100hrs before the flight). But yes, on the airport list it would appear an EXP who requested a sticker upgrade would be ahead of an EXP who requested an SWU.

And yes, sticker upgrades on transcons book into R, while SWUs book into C.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 3:52 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
I checked in for a flight 24 hours in advance, and the check in process indicated that I had been added to the Standby Upgrade list.

I have a return flight within 24 hours, so I checked in for the return 24 hours before the return time. But this time the message was, "we are unable to process you upgrade request at this time, please see an agent at the airport"

I called the EXP line and they indicated I am on the upgrade list. But I am thinking that phone agents don't have access to the airport list.

So question is - does the second response mean that I am not on the airport upgrade list for the second flight (and did it remove me from the upgrade list for the first segment)?
Old Jan 6, 2017, 4:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP, TK Elite, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by flyingeph12
Well, in theory an SWU can clear any time (even more than 100hrs before the flight). But yes, on the airport list it would appear an EXP who requested a sticker upgrade would be ahead of an EXP who requested an SWU.

And yes, sticker upgrades on transcons book into R, while SWUs book into C.
Thanks. Since many of these are not clearing in advance, I am assuming
it will come down to Airport upgrades and the auto-upgrade will clear
before the SWU :-)

F.A.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 8:37 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Quick update from Gary's blog.. http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....upgrades-work/

The recent PALL change that was implemented ONLY applies to revenue complimentary upgrades - as in those waitlisted for R space.

Companions will NOT inherit status on SWUs or Award tickets at this point.

This also requires that the companion be on the same PNR as the elite member sponsoring the complimentary upgrade.

Last edited by golfingboy; Jan 7, 2017 at 10:28 am Reason: Clarifications
Old Jan 7, 2017, 8:43 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by golfingboy
Quick update from Gary's blog.. http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....upgrades-work/

This PALL change will ONLY apply...
Actually, I'm not sure we can use the work "will" yet, if you re-read what they told him. It actually says:

We have not implemented companion benefits when traveling on a mileage-award upgrade or on a systemwide upgrade. The only new thing introduced on Jan. 1
And it directly contradicts their own internal document:

SO, yet to be determined what's delayed vs. what was incorrect in that document.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 10:12 am

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM

This PALL change will ONLY apply to revenue complimentary upgrades - as in those waitlisted for R space.

Companions will NOT inherit status on SWUs or Award tickets.

This also requires that the companion be on the same PNR as the elite member sponsoring the complimentary upgrade.
I think I would believe Jon over Gary.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 10:25 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by JonNYC

SO, yet to be determined what's delayed vs. what was incorrect in that document.
Syntax fail on my part Oops. Should have specified recent or current implementation. Edited.

Does sound like they are probably working on implementing similar upgrade rules for Awards/SWUs, but the question is when and that when could be months from now.

Originally Posted by hiima
If you read Gary's post - AA reached out to him directly to inform him of some misinformation in his original blog post and that is what they told him.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 10:59 am
Suspended

Syntax fail on my part Oops. Should have specified recent or current implementation. Edited.

Does sound like they are probably working on implementing similar upgrade rules for Awards/SWUs, but the question is when and that when could be months from now.
Sure, same page-- I think their clarification to Gary was potentially a bit "agenda-driven" and was proffered in a possibly deliberately ambiguous way-- i.e. very easy to misread.

If you read Gary's post - AA reached out to him directly to inform him of some misinformation in his original blog post and that is what they told him.
Yeah, well... see above. My option; "this isn't over"-- you'll have to read between the lines a bit there, but I'd contend that there a) was exactly zero misinformation in his original blog entry and that b) again, see above

We'll revisit this is my bet.

Originally Posted by hiima
appreciate the vote of confidence-- very much. This is a weird one, but as I mention above, I bet Gary and I will both prove to be correct (if that makes any sense) in, in any case, great respect for Gary's work regardless.

Last edited by JonNYC; Jan 7, 2017 at 11:11 am
Old Jan 7, 2017, 12:09 pm

EXP and GOLD on same PNR are waitlisted for SWU upgrade (international) C class - I wonder if the Angels at the AC can fix it like they can for comp upgrades. That is associate the EXP status on the Gold to position them just below the EXP?

Obviously, when fixed this will be the case. Seems like only real experienced agents know how to fix it - the contract employees do not.

Last edited by cova; Jan 7, 2017 at 12:16 pm
Old Jan 7, 2017, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by cova
I checked in for a flight 24 hours in advance, and the check in process indicated that I had been added to the Standby Upgrade list.

I have a return flight within 24 hours, so I checked in for the return 24 hours before the return time. But this time the message was, "we are unable to process you upgrade request at this time, please see an agent at the airport"

I called the EXP line and they indicated I am on the upgrade list. But I am thinking that phone agents don't have access to the airport list.

So question is - does the second response mean that I am not on the airport upgrade list for the second flight (and did it remove me from the upgrade list for the first segment)?
To answer my question - the different message does not take you off the airport standby upgrade list.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 1:24 am

My name didn't show on the list at the gate

Long story. I requested an upgrade by using SWU way back in July 2016 for the flight AA193 on 2 Jan. The request was documented on Tripcase. I asked the agent who checked me in at the counter if I was still on the waitlist for an upgrade. She said she didn't have access of the list at that moment since I arrived at LAX pretty early on that day.

Until the upgrade list showed up on my phone, I didn't see my on the list so I went to an agent in the lounge to see what happened. She made a few phone calls afterwards and told me that she had successfully put me back to the list even though the App on my phone still woudn't show my name on the list. Also, the agent said I'm #12 according to the list on her side.

I'm not saying that I'm the only EXP who requested for an upgrade early enough to get to the top of the list. But I didn't really expect that I was nearly at the bottom of the list. As far as I know, the order of the list would be prioritised based on the status>date of the request>fare of the ticket. So I called the service desk to see if there was any mistake. She did think there was a mistake and then I was told that I should not have been put back to the list after I did the check-in and the agent on the phone asked me to find another staff to correct the mistake.

When I asked the gate agent to help me about what the agent on the phone told me. He refused to touch the list because he has no right to "re-prioritse" the list as long as my name was correctly showed on his computer. Also, he mentioned the order on the list would be depends on how much I spent on AA previously. (I thought this factor would only be implemented in later 2017 or his was just trying to brush me off) At last, I didn't argue with him as I was pretty confused and I don't really know how the list actually works.

I just want to know what I should do next time if my name didn't show up on the airport upgrade list to avoid the mistake the agent mentioned.

Last edited by davidtai; Jan 9, 2017 at 1:34 am
Old Jan 13, 2017, 6:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by JDiver
IME one travel companion can "borrow" your status. A travel companion can be on a separate PNR (but will not reflect as travel companion unless you request it). If there is more than one other than yourself on one PNR, AFAIK nobody will "borrow" your status.

A nonstatus passenger who is not the travel companion and wishes to use a SWU is in the request queue based on their native status: VIP (no number) = no status, and therefore after:

"The following UPG priority levels are now in effect:

UPG1/VIP1 Concierge Key
UPG2/VIP2 Executive Platinum
UPG3/VIP3 Platinum Pro
UPG4/VIP4 Platinum
UPG5/VIP5 Gold" (sensei)
My business partner and I are traveling to HKG next month. He is CK and I am Plat. We have different PNRs as we booked at different times and are taking different flights to get to/from DFW. We are on the same DFW-HKG/HKG-DFW flights.

We are both booked in paid J.
  1. Can we link our PNRs given the different domestic legs to/from DFW?
  2. If so, is there a benefit to linking our PNRs so that in case of IRROPS I get his CK status?

Thanks!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.