Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Airport Upgrade and Standby Priority List (“PALL”) Order (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 21, 2013, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: VFR
Airport Upgrade and Standby Order, Priority “PALL” List
Questions, Upgrade Anomalies, Issues, etc.
NOTE: Complimentary upgrades are now ordered based on (1) Status, (2) 12 month rolling Loyalty Points, (3) Time and date of upgrade request.

NOTE: As of 1 Jan 2017, your travel companion will "borrow" your PALL listing. Link.

Main PALL list codes. Passengers are ordered by code, then elite status, then other factors. Additional codes may be entered to designate other information, such as companions traveling together.
  • OS# = Confirmed Economy passenger awaiting seat assignment.
  • RF = Confirmed First Class passenger awaiting seat assignment.
  • DSR# = Standby First Class passenger, confirmed in Economy. Usually used for involuntary downgrades of paid First passengers.
  • VIP# = Passenger awaiting a SWU upgrade.
  • MLG# = Passenger awaiting a mileage and copay upgrade. This may be the same priority as VIP, i.e. VIP1 = MLG1, VIP2 = MLG2, etc.
  • UPG# = Confirmed Economy passenger awaiting a complimentary, or elite sticker upgrade. Within a status group, passengers are ordered by 12 month rolling loyalty points followed by time and date of upgrade request.
  • RI# = Revenue involuntary standby passenger (bumped from another flight due to oversold condition or travel disruptions). Within a status group, passengers are ordered by check-in time.
  • RV# = Revenue voluntary standby passenger. Within a status group, passengers are ordered by check-in time.
  • RV = Non-status revenue passengers on voluntary standby, and certain staff travel.
  • D% = Non-revenue standby passenger (AA employees, family, and friends), where % is an additional number code pertaining to the type of pass and not related to elite status. See the Staff Travel / Buddy Pass Thread.
  • VOL = Volunteer for bump to a later flight. Passengers are ordered by time of volunteering (first come-first served).
  • DG = Passenger with involuntary (or voluntary) downgrade in class-of-service.
  • RL = "Flat Tire Rule" passenger missing a flight through no fault of their own or AA (L=Late, in this case). Note that in some circumstances, AA may offer a confirmed seat on a later flight instead.
  • -T = Through passenger - Addition of this suffix gives priority over other passengers in the same status group, overriding normal time-based ranking. This suffix is supposed to be used for passengers connecting from another flight.
Status indicator numbers UPG/VIP (#) = 1 = Concierge Key; 2 = Executive Platinum; 3 = Platinum Pro; 4 = Platinum, 5 = Gold; no number = no status (e.g. UPG2/VIP2 for EP).

C/o sensei:

The following UPG priority levels are now in effect:
  • UPG1/VIP1 Concierge Key
  • UPG2/VIP2 Executive Platinum
  • UPG3/VIP3 Platinum Pro
  • UPG4/VIP4 Platinum
  • UPG5/VIP5 Gold
  • UPG/VIP No status
UPGC is used for operational upgrades

Revenue Standbys are cleared in the following order:
  • RIT (involuntary, transit)
  • RI (involuntary)
  • RV (voluntary)
  • RL (late)
*Numbers corresponding to elite status will determine the order of the passengers within each category.

All revenue standbys are cleared before any non-revenue standbys

Older posts have been archived to this thread.
Print Wikipost

Airport Upgrade and Standby Priority List (“PALL”) Order (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2018, 10:35 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by scubadu
Kind of a big difference between "I saw VIP6 next to my name" and "I very well may not have seen vip 6" next to my name.
VIP is still used to refer to SWU in Sabre. The number which follows represents the AAdvantage elite status:

1. Concierge Key
  2. Executive Platinum
  3. Platinum Pro
  4. Platinum
  5. Gold

I'm sure that @chicagoflyer1976 knows theirs.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 2:57 pm

Programs: AA(EXP)UA(1K/1MM) Marriott(PP,LifeTime Plat) Hertz(5*)
Bex vs evip

Is the business extra upgrade instrument a lower priority instrument then a evip instrument.

I decided to use a business extra upgrade for an international flight happening today and just wondering where it sits in the priority of instruments used.

Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 8:17 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat
Summary:
Help! involuntary split itineraries / gate agents not knowing companion inherit status policy / unknown protocol for return flight

Hello all,
First of all, thank you for creating such a rich resource and community.

I am an EXP and have been for a few years. I know that as of early 2017, travel companions inherit status at the airport upgrade list (and beforehand).

Unfortunately I rarely have the ability to test this policy but I'm currently mid-vacation for my wedding anniversary and am experiencing confusion and frustration that started on our outbound flight and will ensue for our return flight. I've searched this forum for about an hour but could not find the exact reason or solution which is why I am now writing a post in hopes someone can help me understand.

Our outbound was LAX-MIA-SJU (San Juan, Puerto Rico). We are now in Puerto Rico.
Our return in a few days (less than 100h out) is SJU-MIA-LAX.
I am EP, hubby is Plat.

Brief history:
1. Booked RT main cabin flight on one itinerary, using both Aadvantage numbers, under my name/login. Requested upgrades for all legs for all passengers (UDU-Complimentary/sticker)

2. LAX-MIA, at LAX gate I was #4 on upgrade list (UL), hubby was #19 . Unlikely to clear even mine (J0D0), but still we inquired with gate agent (GA) regarding why we were separated. GA said that even though we are companions on the same itinerary, hubby is plat so he will upgrade as Plat. I don't like arguing and seemed pointless given I'm only #4 and slim chances so we left it at that.
3. MIA-SJU, at MIA gate I was #1 on UL and hubby was #4 . J1/D1 availability so I figured it was worth pressing. Asked GA and he said, hubby is #4 and will clear as #4 , not inherit mine, because we entered in his AAdvantage number so the system will clear him according to his status, not mine. I thought that GA could do something to change/fix this without great effort, from vague past recollection, but he said that nothing could be done unless there was no Aadvantage number linked to his reservation. So I asked him if he could remove that and so he removed hubby's Aadvantage number. After he removed hubby's AA#, I was #1 on UL and hubby was #2 . GA said that one upgrade will likely clear and gave me the option to do so. 15 minutes later I said yes, and took the upgrade. Hubby did not clear and flew in main cabin. I now realize that GA split our itineraries as he had to in order to upgrade me only. However GA didn't tell me and I didn't realize this until later that this happened.
3. Yesterday at T-100 I got an email saying that my upgrade for return SJU-MIA cleared. It was at this time when I logged in to see my seat that I realized that hubby was not showing. I also noticed record locator had changed too. I looked up original record locator and see that it's only hubby's name, and no AA# (as expected since the MIA GA removed it) and therefore his MCE seat area showing $ signs for seats around him too. Importantly, my upgrade cleared but hubby's did not.

I called AA EP desk 3 times and got 3 different answers and think maybe this group knows better than what the phone agents tell me since I got three different answers. Will not spend more reading space here to reiterate what each one told me but basically completely night and day different reasons as to how this happened and why hubby didn't get pre-flight upgrade and I did for SJU-MIA and what will happen at the airport for SJU-MIA list for my hubby. Importantly, phone agent #1 said she saw hubby on upgrade queue but other things which I knew were incorrect/farfetched so I HUCA'ed, phone agent #2 said he did NOT see hubby in upgrade queue and asked if I wanted to add him in upgrade queue ("yes please") and that it would bump him to EP now and hubby will be EXP list position at airport list, phone agent #3 said she saw him on upgrade queue as EXP inheriting mine, but that T-24 he would then lose this status bc airport list takes over where he will be on the list according to status (but no AA#, no status?) and that I would have to talk to GA at airport to ask them to have hubby inherit my status again, even though I was already upgraded at T-100 yesterday.

Omg so confusing. So, my questions are:
1. When MIA GA on outbound split our itineraries, did hubby get removed from all future upgrade requests/did not inherit my status? I thought that this was still inherited even though we are on diff itineraries since we are linked; in fact, isn't this why he was showing as #2 on UL list after being #4 before?
2. Will hubby be on UL list at airport with AA# removed / no status? If so, will he be showing in position as if inherited EXP status? Or will he be at the very end with no status?
3. If he is at end with no status, does GA have the ability to move him to EXP status position in the UL list, seeing that we have linked itineraries, even though I am already upgraded? If so, what is the specific ask I need to make (keystrokes, even) if the GA is as uninformed as the last two?
4. Why did both GA's at LAX and MIA say that hubby would not inherit my status even though there was the new policy in Q1 2017 that enables lower status companions to inherit higher status companion status? How can I prevent this from happening in the future/what is your best advice?
5. Is it better in the future to book these flights without adding hubby AA# and then calling in after the flight for him to get credit for the flights, to prevent this from happening? I mean given that we want to be upgraded together (2 seat openings) and pass on 1-seat-upgrade-only options. Just from a perspective of avoiding this happening in the future and showing our names together on UL list.

Thank you all in advance for your help and guidance.

Last edited by bunkunu; Jan 8, 2019 at 8:22 pm
Old Jan 9, 2019, 4:45 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by bunkunu
Summary:
Help! involuntary split itineraries / gate agents not knowing companion inherit status policy / unknown protocol for return flight

Hello all,

I am an EXP and have been for a few years. I know that as of early 2017, travel companions inherit status at the airport upgrade list (and beforehand).

Unfortunately I rarely have the ability to test this policy but I'm currently mid-vacation for my wedding anniversary and am experiencing confusion and frustration that started on our outbound flight and will ensue for our return flight. I've searched this forum for about an hour but could not find the exact reason or solution which is why I am now writing a post in hopes someone can help me understand.

Our outbound was LAX-MIA-SJU (San Juan, Puerto Rico). We are now in Puerto Rico.
I am EP, hubby is Plat.

Brief history:
1. Booked RT main cabin flight on one itinerary, using both Aadvantage numbers, under my name/login. Requested upgrades for all legs for all passengers (UDU-Complimentary/sticker)

2. LAX-MIA, at LAX gate I was #4 on upgrade list (UL), hubby was #19 . Unlikely to clear even mine (J0D0), but still we inquired with gate agent (GA) regarding why we were separated. GA said that even though we are companions on the same itinerary, hubby is plat so he will upgrade as Plat. I don't like arguing and seemed pointless given I'm only #4 and slim chances so we left it at that.
3. MIA-SJU, at MIA gate I was #1 on UL and hubby was #4 . J1/D1 availability so I figured it was worth pressing. Asked GA and he said, hubby is #4 and will clear as #4 , not inherit mine, because we entered in his AAdvantage number so the system will clear him according to his status, not mine. I thought that GA could do something to change/fix this without great effort, from vague past recollection, but he said that nothing could be done unless there was no Aadvantage number linked to his reservation. So I asked him if he could remove that and so he removed hubby's Aadvantage number. After he removed hubby's AA#, I was #1 on UL and hubby was #2 . GA said that one upgrade will likely clear and gave me the option to do so. 15 minutes later I said yes, and took the upgrade. Hubby did not clear and flew in main cabin. I now realize that GA split our itineraries as he had to in order to upgrade me only. However GA didn't tell me and I didn't realize this until later that this happened.
3. Yesterday at T-100 I got an email saying that my upgrade for return SJU-MIA cleared. It was at this time when I logged in to see my seat that I realized that hubby was not showing. I also noticed record locator had changed too. I looked up original record locator and see that it's only hubby's name, and no AA# (as expected since the MIA GA removed it) and therefore his MCE seat area showing $ signs for seats around him too. Importantly, my upgrade cleared but hubby's did not.

I called AA EP desk 3 times and got 3 different answers and think maybe this group knows better than what the phone agents tell me since I got three different answers. Will not spend more reading space here to reiterate what each one told me but basically completely night and day different reasons as to how this happened and why hubby didn't get pre-flight upgrade and I did for SJU-MIA and what will happen at the airport for SJU-MIA list for my hubby. Importantly, phone agent #1 said she saw hubby on upgrade queue but other things which I knew were incorrect/farfetched so I HUCA'ed, phone agent #2 said he did NOT see hubby in upgrade queue and asked if I wanted to add him in upgrade queue ("yes please") and that it would bump him to EP now and hubby will be EXP list position at airport list, phone agent #3 said she saw him on upgrade queue as EXP inheriting mine, but that T-24 he would then lose this status bc airport list takes over where he will be on the list according to status (but no AA#, no status?) and that I would have to talk to GA at airport to ask them to have hubby inherit my status again, even though I was already upgraded at T-100 yesterday.

1. When MIA GA on outbound split our itineraries, did hubby get removed from all future upgrade requests/did not inherit my status? I thought that this was still inherited even though we are on diff itineraries since we are linked; in fact, isn't this why he was showing as #2 on UL list after being #4 before?
2. Will hubby be on UL list at airport with AA# removed / no status? If so, will he be showing in position as if inherited EXP status? Or will he be at the very end with no status?
3. If he is at end with no status, does GA have the ability to move him to EXP status position in the UL list, seeing that we have linked itineraries, even though I am already upgraded? If so, what is the specific ask I need to make (keystrokes, even) if the GA is as uninformed as the last two?
4. Why did both GA's at LAX and MIA say that hubby would not inherit my status even though there was the new policy in Q1 2017 that enables lower status companions to inherit higher status companion status? How can I prevent this from happening in the future/what is your best advice?
5. Is it better in the future to book these flights without adding hubby AA# and then calling in after the flight for him to get credit for the flights, to prevent this from happening? I mean given that we want to be upgraded together (2 seat openings) and pass on 1-seat-upgrade-only options. Just from a perspective of avoiding this happening in the future and showing our names together on UL list.

anyone?
Old Jan 9, 2019, 7:25 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
Summary:

Hello all,

I am EP, hubby is Plat.

Brief history:

The short answer is that it varies by gate agent. They all make up their own rules. They definitely CAN fix the upgrade list so that the lower ranked person inherits the higher person's status. Some agents I find do this quickly and easily. Others I need to nudge to do it. Others need to ask from help from another gate agent or supervisor. Others just flat refuse to do it. It's unfortunate, but it's just part of AA not knowing how to train their employees properly.
bunkunu likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS

I'm EXP and my SO is PLT so we run into these issues a lot.

When you have 2 pax on a single PNR, one EXP one PLT for example, both pax will inherit the higher status until you get to the airport upgrade list. Once on the airport list, each pax will be on the waitlist according to their own status. This is the confusing part: if one pax is EXP and the other has no status, then even on the airport list the no-status pax will inherit the EXP's status for waitlist position (AFAIK).

The above issue can be solved by calling the EXP desk or by any helpful airport agent (so that both EXP & PLT will carry EXP status to airport waitlist). On the same PNR, the process is to effectively remove the lower status pax's AA#, then re-request the upgrades, then add back the lower status pax's AA#. One caveat, in order for the PLT to inherit the EXP's status on the airport waitlist, all 500-mi upgrade sitckers must come from the EXP's account.

For future bookings, you can call the EXP desk after you book and tell them you want your husband to inherit your status and you're ok with all stickers coming from your account (there's no need to leave his AA# off until after, or anything like that). And as mentioned above, it can be done at the airport, although typically takes a well trained agent that know's what they're doing. I had 2 awesome GA's at FLL last November that went through this process for us (easily took 5 mins of typing etc.), but we were able to grab the only 2 upgrades on our next CLT-RDU flight (otherwise I was #1 and she was #8 ).

For your trip now, there's no way for any of us to know, given the PNR split I would certainly call the EXP desk to verify that your husband's upgrades are requested such that they will inherit your status.
bunkunu likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 8:11 am

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Through Passenger (T Designation) Still Exists on the PALL List?

Had a new one today...

Connecting at MIA and requested to standby for an earlier flight. I decided to burn a SWU for my Caribbean flight since it would expire in a few days anyway and was originally confirmed in 'C' inventory. The earlier flight was J1D1I1C0, with one not checked in, so two available J seats. I asked at the AC about moving to the earlier flight, which would get me to my island paradise well ahead of schedule I was told no luck, C0 prevented them from confirming me, but I was confirmed on the earlier flight in Y and put on the list. I also retained my J seat on the later flight, and the AC agent provided me printed boarding passes for both flights. I didn't ask which list she had put me on at the time, and I subsequently didn't see myself on the upgrade list in the AA app (and the standby list didn't appear), so I went back to the desk and inquired further. The same agent showed me her screen, which had me listed as a DSR2T (DSR EXP through passenger, apparently). She told me I wouldn't appear on the publicly viewable list.

This is a new one for me for two reasons... one, I was suprised to be listed as a DSR. Second, I had no idea the -T (through passenger) designation was still in existence. I was #1 on the list, btw.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Had some questions on a recent upgrade request. My mother is flying xxx-DFW-BOG and I wanted to miles+copay upgrade her

1. I called yesterday and was told that within 24 hours, I could no longer request SWU/miles+copay anymore. That seemed fishy and one of the flights was J0, so let it be.
2. Today I get an alert saying DFW-BOG is J1. I call and get her added to the list. She is 1 of 1.
3. It is now within 1 hour of departure, flight is still J1. Given that the ticketing and check in should be closed within T1 and no one could "walk up" and buy a ticket, I called the EXP desk to inquire if they could poke RM and release the seat.
a. Was told that the airport was the only one in charge
b. They never talk to RM

We went in circles for like 15 minutes after asking to speak to a supervisor. Which I was denied saying there was no supervisor. I wasn't able to get my request across apparently (if they told me that they wouldn't call RM for the exception is one thing, but denying it ever happens when I've had exactly this happen before was extremely frustrating). I finally got transferred to the agent who helped me with #2 who I was able to discuss with. Didn't get to RM, but ce'st la vie.

The quality of the desk seems to be declining by the day. I know the FT adage of HUACA, but I feel like I need to call 3 times to get anything done or get a straight answer. And since when does the EXP desk not have supervisors in case of an unreasonable or unwilling to understand agent?

partial rant, partial .... Since when did requesting a UG get so hard?
Old Feb 20, 2019, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
At the gate (flight is late), the GA is insisting on making the copay in person. I already gave my credit card to the EXP agent along with the request that that miles come out of my account. I request that my mother ask the GA if they would speak to me on the phone to I can give them the card info or if she could give them the numbers. They said no.

Why is this so complex? I'm absolutely furious at AA right now. ....ing banana republic level mess.
enpremiere likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 7:24 pm

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by metallo
Had a new one today...

Connecting at MIA and requested to standby for an earlier flight. I decided to burn a SWU for my Caribbean flight since it would expire in a few days anyway and was originally confirmed in 'C' inventory. The earlier flight was J1D1I1C0, with one not checked in, so two available J seats. I asked at the AC about moving to the earlier flight, which would get me to my island paradise well ahead of schedule I was told no luck, C0 prevented them from confirming me, but I was confirmed on the earlier flight in Y and put on the list. I also retained my J seat on the later flight, and the AC agent provided me printed boarding passes for both flights. I didn't ask which list she had put me on at the time, and I subsequently didn't see myself on the upgrade list in the AA app (and the standby list didn't appear), so I went back to the desk and inquired further. The same agent showed me her screen, which had me listed as a DSR2T (DSR EXP through passenger, apparently). She told me I wouldn't appear on the publicly viewable list.

This is a new one for me for two reasons... one, I was suprised to be listed as a DSR. Second, I had no idea the -T (through passenger) designation was still in existence. I was #1 on the list, btw.
As you were confirmed in Y on the earlier flight, DSR was the correct PALL code (Standby First Class passenger, confirmed in Economy per the Wiki). The through designation is still around but someone more knowledgeable might have an authoritative answer as to whether it actually does or does not have any impact now even if it's present within an entry.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 1:39 pm

Is there a period which GA should start clearing upgrades and are able to skip?

I was #1 flying DFW to ORD and sitting in the Admirals Club at C20 with my flight leaving from C21. 20 mins before boarding I start walking out of the lounge and checked the app to see if I was still #1 or if I had cleared so I could grab a boarding pass (the agent offered when I arrived). Surprisingly I was skipped! Luckily the agent who offered to reprint me a boarding pass was still there, called to the gate and insisted they correct the upgrades. After some back and forth it seems like the GA finally budged. I've seen GAs clear upgrades early but never skip over someone 20 mins before boarding because they did not respond to a page.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by longtimereader firstimeposter
... I've seen GAs clear upgrades early but never skip over someone 20 mins before boarding because they did not respond to a page.
I have - and standbys too.

If you really want that gate upgrade (or standby for that matter), be at the gate if you can 50 minutes before scheduled departure.

It shouldn't be the case, but it is ...
Old Feb 26, 2019, 3:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by serfty
If you really want that gate upgrade (or standby for that matter), be at the gate if you can 50 minutes before scheduled departure.

It shouldn't be the case, but it is ...
Yep. If you haven't cleared by T-60 minutes/ gate control, head to the gate. I believe policy is to wait until T-10 to re-assign unclaimed but cleared upgrades (and unclaimed but cleared standbys, if the GA processes standbys early), but I've seen Gate Agents "auction" upgrades to whomever responds first, starting with the next person on the PALL list.

One way to prevent this is to get a printed Boarding Pass in the Admirals Club, and gently ask the AC AAngels to call the gate, "to let them know that you printed my upgraded seat and that I will be along shortly." That has always worked for me to prevent a cleared upgrade from getting auctioned off.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 9:51 pm

Programs: Alaska Gold 75K, AA EXP, United 1K
Originally Posted by swm61230
Is the business extra upgrade instrument a lower priority instrument then a evip instrument.

I decided to use a business extra upgrade for an international flight happening today and just wondering where it sits in the priority of instruments used.

Thanks in advance.
It was my understanding that all instrument supported upgrades that clear into C class were on par (MUA, SWU, BXP), but had an experience today that would suggest BXP is below not just MUA and SWU but also UDU. Hope someone can clarify what the actual policy is because that would make BXP certificates pretty much useless for EXP and PPRO if that were the case.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 4:55 am

Programs: BA LTG, UA Gold, EK Silver, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Plat
As a BA Gold/Emerald (which is AA Exec Plat equiv I believe) traveling in Premium Economy on an AA international flight (AA ticket number) do I get to go on any upgrade list or do I/can I request an upgrade to J and if so how (or is it just automatic).

I looked on the domestic upgrade list for my flight from CLT -> DEN (which was in Y after a W transatlantic sector) and didn't see my name listed (there were 23 on the list!) so presume my chances of an upgrade are slim as am behind all the AA program members who can actually request an upgrade ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.