Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Airport Upgrade and Standby Priority List (“PALL”) Order (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 21, 2013, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: VFR
Airport Upgrade and Standby Order, Priority “PALL” List
Questions, Upgrade Anomalies, Issues, etc.
NOTE: Complimentary upgrades are now ordered based on (1) Status, (2) 12 month rolling Loyalty Points, (3) Time and date of upgrade request.

NOTE: As of 1 Jan 2017, your travel companion will "borrow" your PALL listing. Link.

Main PALL list codes. Passengers are ordered by code, then elite status, then other factors. Additional codes may be entered to designate other information, such as companions traveling together.
  • OS# = Confirmed Economy passenger awaiting seat assignment.
  • RF = Confirmed First Class passenger awaiting seat assignment.
  • DSR# = Standby First Class passenger, confirmed in Economy. Usually used for involuntary downgrades of paid First passengers.
  • VIP# = Passenger awaiting a SWU upgrade.
  • MLG# = Passenger awaiting a mileage and copay upgrade. This may be the same priority as VIP, i.e. VIP1 = MLG1, VIP2 = MLG2, etc.
  • UPG# = Confirmed Economy passenger awaiting a complimentary, or elite sticker upgrade. Within a status group, passengers are ordered by 12 month rolling loyalty points followed by time and date of upgrade request.
  • RI# = Revenue involuntary standby passenger (bumped from another flight due to oversold condition or travel disruptions). Within a status group, passengers are ordered by check-in time.
  • RV# = Revenue voluntary standby passenger. Within a status group, passengers are ordered by check-in time.
  • RV = Non-status revenue passengers on voluntary standby, and certain staff travel.
  • D% = Non-revenue standby passenger (AA employees, family, and friends), where % is an additional number code pertaining to the type of pass and not related to elite status. See the Staff Travel / Buddy Pass Thread.
  • VOL = Volunteer for bump to a later flight. Passengers are ordered by time of volunteering (first come-first served).
  • DG = Passenger with involuntary (or voluntary) downgrade in class-of-service.
  • RL = "Flat Tire Rule" passenger missing a flight through no fault of their own or AA (L=Late, in this case). Note that in some circumstances, AA may offer a confirmed seat on a later flight instead.
  • -T = Through passenger - Addition of this suffix gives priority over other passengers in the same status group, overriding normal time-based ranking. This suffix is supposed to be used for passengers connecting from another flight.
Status indicator numbers UPG/VIP (#) = 1 = Concierge Key; 2 = Executive Platinum; 3 = Platinum Pro; 4 = Platinum, 5 = Gold; no number = no status (e.g. UPG2/VIP2 for EP).

C/o sensei:

The following UPG priority levels are now in effect:
  • UPG1/VIP1 Concierge Key
  • UPG2/VIP2 Executive Platinum
  • UPG3/VIP3 Platinum Pro
  • UPG4/VIP4 Platinum
  • UPG5/VIP5 Gold
  • UPG/VIP No status
UPGC is used for operational upgrades

Revenue Standbys are cleared in the following order:
  • RIT (involuntary, transit)
  • RI (involuntary)
  • RV (voluntary)
  • RL (late)
*Numbers corresponding to elite status will determine the order of the passengers within each category.

All revenue standbys are cleared before any non-revenue standbys

Older posts have been archived to this thread.
Print Wikipost

Airport Upgrade and Standby Priority List (“PALL”) Order (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2017, 8:49 pm

Programs: AA EP
Just need the original Code (I D J).

Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
Shouldn't CFC for paid premium-cabin fares simply require the existence of E inventory and any premium cabin inventory (including full-F/J) regardless of the original (likely discounted) premium fare class?

-FlyerBeek
Old Sep 23, 2017, 4:20 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Where do Business Upgrade (BXP1) fall in terms of PALL list priority?
Old Sep 23, 2017, 6:23 pm

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by JonNYC
And a bunch of the codes just changed, so, even experienced agent getting used to the new codes.
Is this new information available anywhere for our review?
Old Sep 24, 2017, 11:00 am

For confirmed flight change, when one has purchased a business class ticket, the original premium cabin booking code must be open. That's why even though it was J1 they couldn't confirm me as it was I0 and I had bought an I fare.
There still seems to be multiple answers when you call into EXP if E and I have to be open or just I.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by metallo
Is this new information available anywhere for our review?
I'm curious if RV and RL (for SDS) still mean what they used to?
Old Oct 6, 2017, 3:05 pm

Question on upgrade list order

The other day my wife and I were doing a quick mileage run for her to hit Plt and me Exp. All our segments were under 500 miles which means auto requested upgrades. Two cleared and we were on the list for the other. I was 3 and she was 6. Shouldn't she have been right with me as 4 as we were on the same record? I didn't bother to ask the gate agent at the time because there was only one seat and number one on the list cleared. I was just curious why that would happen?
Old Oct 6, 2017, 4:43 pm

Programs: AA-Plat
Originally Posted by tski
The other day my wife and I were doing a quick mileage run for her to hit Plt and me Exp. All our segments were under 500 miles which means auto requested upgrades. Two cleared and we were on the list for the other. I was 3 and she was 6. Shouldn't she have been right with me as 4 as we were on the same record? I didn't bother to ask the gate agent at the time because there was only one seat and number one on the list cleared. I was just curious why that would happen?
Even though you are on the same record, the upgrade order is based on your own individual status. You will need to request that your companion with a lower status is placed under your status. When using 500 mile upgrades, they will all come out of the individual with the higher status.

I have also heard that if you remove the Aadvantage number from the lower status companion, they will automatically inherit your status and be listed 1, 2...
Old Oct 30, 2017, 4:14 pm

Programs: United Premier Platinum
What is the priority for upgrade when segment is part of a redeemed upgrade award?

I did miles + copay upgrade of a two segment itinerary: a transpac inbound to the US followed by a connecting domestic segment.
At the time of paying for the upgrade, only the transpac could clear, with me going on the waitlist for the domestic.

Just now I checked EF and found J availability (J1) for the flight. However, before I even got off hold on the phone with AA, I refreshed the page and the availability was gone.

This made me wonder, what is the prioritization for an upgrade when you have already "redeemed" the award in the case of a multi-segment miles+copay award? I am only PLT so I imagine there must be EXPs before me on the list, but on the other hand it would make sense the person who's already paid for the service would get it first.

Is there a cut-and-dried policy on this?
Old Oct 30, 2017, 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by mcrw00
I did miles + copay upgrade of a two segment itinerary: a transpac inbound to the US followed by a connecting domestic segment.
At the time of paying for the upgrade, only the transpac could clear, with me going on the waitlist for the domestic.

Just now I checked EF and found J availability (J1) for the flight. However, before I even got off hold on the phone with AA, I refreshed the page and the availability was gone.

This made me wonder, what is the prioritization for an upgrade when you have already "redeemed" the award in the case of a multi-segment miles+copay award? I am only PLT so I imagine there must be EXPs before me on the list, but on the other hand it would make sense the person who's already paid for the service would get it first.

Is there a cut-and-dried policy on this?
executive plats using instruments are ahead of you. If you check AAs website or the AA upgrade page here on FT, it clearly explains that it is by method of upgrade and then status. For example, since you used miles and copay, you are ahead of an EXP seeking complimentary upgrade.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by babypuwet
executive plats using instruments are ahead of you. If you check AAs website or the AA upgrade page here on FT, it clearly explains that it is by method of upgrade and then status. For example, since you used miles and copay, you are ahead of an EXP seeking complimentary upgrade.
this is incorrect. EXP's using any upgrade means (SWU, miles/copay, UDU on paid ticket, UDU on award ticket) would trump any Plat Pro/Plat/Gold.
JDiver likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 9:51 pm

Programs: United Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by dave_261
this is incorrect. EXP's using any upgrade means (SWU, miles/copay, UDU on paid ticket, UDU on award ticket) would trump any Plat Pro/Plat/Gold.

So in other words, the fact that my upgrade is already "redeemed" does not change my prioritization? Is it the same as if I requested to be on the upgrade waitlist for this domestic segment by itself?
Old Oct 31, 2017, 12:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

J is not the relevant booking class for an upgrade. J1 going to J0 means nothing; what matters is availability in C
deeruck likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 3:41 am

So in other words, the fact that my upgrade is already "redeemed" does not change my prioritization? Is it the same as if I requested to be on the upgrade waitlist for this domestic segment by itself?
Correct. Imagine the scenario in reverse. Say you're flying from IND-ORD-PEK.

You choose to accept a miles+coach copay on the short domestic segment, and waitlist for the 14-hour international segment. If the international segment opened up C-class down the road, it would be a bit unfair if you trumped someone with a higher upgrade priority simply because part of your trip was already upgraded.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 11:05 am

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dave_261
Correct. Imagine the scenario in reverse. Say you're flying from IND-ORD-PEK.

You choose to accept a miles+coach copay on the short domestic segment, and waitlist for the 14-hour international segment. If the international segment opened up C-class down the road, it would be a bit unfair if you trumped someone with a higher upgrade priority simply because part of your trip was already upgraded.
On the flipside, if you don't clear in that scenario, you just paid $350 and 25,000 miles to upgrade IND-ORD.

I just had a similar scenario. SEA-DFW-FLL flight the other day. Only C space on SEA-DFW. Was long enough and early enough that I went for the miles+copay upgrade. It was J2 since I got the miles+copay upgrade. C space never opened so I got thrown to airport control where, as I expected being a Plat Pro, I was #7 .
Old Nov 7, 2017, 4:46 pm

I had a really interesting experience last week (twice). My understanding is that to be on the upgrade list you have to have a confirmed seat on the flight (not standby).

I was listed for same-day-standby on a later flight than the one I was confirmed on, and I got an email saying my upgrade was confirmed for that flight, and assigned me a seat in first. I'm plat pro so upgrades are auto-requested, but I was surprised that this served as way to get a confirmed seat without paying the $75 fee.

Later on in the week I requested to list for standby online for an earlier flight than my original, and almost immediately I got an email saying my upgrade was confirmed. Given that this process assigns an actual seat number in these emails, it's essentially confirming you for the flight and taking you off standby. Kind of a loophole? I didn't realize this was possible. Nice!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.