Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Airport Upgrade and Standby Priority List (“PALL”) Order (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: Airport Upgrade and Standby Priority List (“PALL”) Order (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2011, 9:30 am

Thank you. That was very helpful.
Old Nov 16, 2011, 9:38 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Also forgot to mention that it would be very wise to set up an EF alert for C inventory as well. I've recently read well-informed detail about how upgrades are processed close in, and it seems that things stop happening automagically for a while and any C inventory that may appear will just sit there, ready to be snapped up. If you set up an alert, and you're notified, call up the number on the back of your Gold card and ask if they can process the upgrade immediately.
Old Nov 16, 2011, 9:53 am

Programs: AA EXP
It is my understanding that upgrades are determined based on: 1) elite status and 2) date/time when upgrade requested. Time of check-in is not relevant.
Old Nov 16, 2011, 9:58 am

Originally Posted by FrogProf
It is my understanding that upgrades are determined based on: 1) elite status and 2) date/time when upgrade requested. Time of check-in is not relevant.
Did you mean to say it is my misunderstanding that time of check-in is not relevant?
Most of this thread pretty clearly explains where check-in time is important.

eg
It doesn't matter when you get added to the list, it matters when you checked in, so if you check in 24 hours before, you can wait until you get to the airport to be added to the list, and your check-in timestamp should slot you in to the upgrade waitlist based on the original check-in time. Upgrades aren't processed off the PALL list until the flight goes to the gate, so there's no benefit to being on it 24 hours early vs. 6 hours vs. 3 hours.
This is discussing upgrades done at the gate, not ones prior to the flight going to airport control.
Old Nov 16, 2011, 9:58 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by FrogProf
Your understanding is correct for sticker-eligible flights. It is not correct for international flights where stickers cannot be used. On such flights, upgrades are sorted by elite status, originating/connecting status, and check-in time. For example, an originating Gold flying ORD-LHR who checks in 24 hours before his flight will be in front of other Golds on the same flight who check in closer to departure time.
Old Nov 16, 2011, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by Microwave
Your understanding is correct for sticker-eligible flights. It is not correct for international flights where stickers cannot be used. On such flights, upgrades are sorted by elite status, originating/connecting status, and check-in time. For example, an originating Gold flying ORD-LHR who checks in 24 hours before his flight will be in front of other Golds on the same flight who check in closer to departure time.
Thanks for the clarification! I did not know that.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 8:53 pm

I am currently platinum waiting for my EXP to kick in from the MR's i've just done. More than likely, this won't happen until at least next week. My question is, I have a flight on Feb 16th that I would like to request an upgrade on. Obviously, without being EXP, it would cost me 500-mile vouchers. If I were to put in an upgrade request right now, using those vouchers, and then I become EXP, would i be able to cancel that 500 mile upgrade request, keep my vouchers, and still keep my place in line for the upgrade? I can't find an example if this situation anywhere. Thank you.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 9:22 pm

Programs: AA 1MM; DL PM
Originally Posted by Mrgolfer21
I am currently platinum waiting for my EXP to kick in from the MR's i've just done. More than likely, this won't happen until at least next week. My question is, I have a flight on Feb 16th that I would like to request an upgrade on. Obviously, without being EXP, it would cost me 500-mile vouchers. If I were to put in an upgrade request right now, using those vouchers, and then I become EXP, would i be able to cancel that 500 mile upgrade request, keep my vouchers, and still keep my place in line for the upgrade? I can't find an example if this situation anywhere. Thank you.
When my partner made EXP last December, he had a variety of flights already purchased for 2012 for which he'd requested upgrade. I searched around a bit on FT and figured out that he needed to call the EXP desk and have them remove and re-add his AAdvantage number to all his existing reservations. He did so, and the AAgent said he'd keep his spot on the upgrade list. All his subsequent flights have upgraded at the 100-hour window with no stickers missing.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 12:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver
This seems like the best place for a question regarding PALL list and application at the gate:

In this situation, who is supposed to get the last F-seat on a domestic flight (in my case NYC-DFW)

1. Standby for NYC-DFW on a "Z" ticket (first-class saver award) ticketed NYC-XXX-DFW,

2. Upgrades with "stickers" from whatever status

The gate agent claimed that a voluntary standby on a first-class ticket is behind a UPG and only offered economy after clearing the last upgrader, and I want to make sure I understood the proper order.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by TxH2O; Feb 2, 2012 at 12:12 pm Reason: Grammar
Old Feb 2, 2012, 12:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 3MM AA, Admirals Club
Originally Posted by Mrgolfer21
Just request your upgrade. You should have done it earlier.

When the time comes for your flight, they will see you are EXP and no stickers, OBVIOUSLY, will be deducted from your account.

The Check Here To Request Upgrade is not contingent on your status at the time you do it.

As a matter of fact, when your ("Fake") - - EXP status does go through, it will move you up on the UG list.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 12:55 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton
Originally Posted by laxconnorw
Just request your upgrade. You should have done it earlier.

When the time comes for your flight, they will see you are EXP and no stickers, OBVIOUSLY, will be deducted from your account.

The Check Here To Request Upgrade is not contingent on your status at the time you do it.

As a matter of fact, when your ("Fake") - - EXP status does go through, it will move you up on the UG list.
Actually if there is a short period of time (less than a week or so) between when the EXP status hits and your next flight, you do need to call the EXP desk to have the PNR and upgrade request refreshed. Otherwise the upgrade will process based on previous PLT status priority.

Last edited by sukn; Feb 2, 2012 at 1:05 pm
Old Feb 2, 2012, 8:52 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, 6.0 MM, Marriott LT Platinum
Dropped from airport UG list -why?

This has happened two or three times, ideas as to why?

Arrived DFW this evening, AC confirmed I first on UG list to PSP. Wandered down to gate a few minutes before boarding, I'm not on monitor. GA puts me on list, and the UG clears last minute. What causes this?
Old Feb 2, 2012, 8:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by TxH2O
This seems like the best place for a question regarding PALL list and application at the gate:

In this situation, who is supposed to get the last F-seat on a domestic flight (in my case NYC-DFW)

1. Standby for NYC-DFW on a "Z" ticket (first-class saver award) ticketed NYC-XXX-DFW,

2. Upgrades with "stickers" from whatever status

The gate agent claimed that a voluntary standby on a first-class ticket is behind a UPG and only offered economy after clearing the last upgrader, and I want to make sure I understood the proper order.

Thanks in advance.
The gate agent was incorrect I believe. RF (premium class stand by) trumps upgrades. I don't think the fact you were skipping a connection would effect that.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 11:06 am
IJK

Originally Posted by mvoight
Even if you check in online, you still need to request the upgrade at the airport, if it is under airport control. Your comment makes it sound like you either request it at the airport or check in online.
So the best strategy is to do OLCI at 24 hours out (for Golds) AND arrive at the airport 3 hours ahead of time to request again?
Old Feb 9, 2012, 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by IJK
So the best strategy is to do OLCI at 24 hours out (for Golds) AND arrive at the airport 3 hours ahead of time to request again?
No, in 2012 the option to add yourself to the airport upgrade list is part of the OLCI process and check in time does not affect your placement on the list.

The statement you quoted probably made sense when it was made in 2006, but things have changed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.