Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Airport Upgrade and Standby Priority List (“PALL”) Order (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: Airport Upgrade and Standby Priority List (“PALL”) Order (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2006, 9:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mvoight
Even if you check in online, you still need to request the upgrade at the airport, if it is under airport control. Your comment makes it sound like you either request it at the airport or check in online.
Thanks for pointing that out, corrected it in an edit.
Old Dec 30, 2006, 11:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nbevan
So, do the rules for T apply in the same way to UPG1T, UPG2T etc?

There is a problem that since you can't check in online when you have an itinerary including an international flight, your UPG priority on the domestic sectors would otherwise be lower than people who checked in 24 hours ahead.

So if you were flying DEN-ORD-LHR, despite the inability to check in online, would the T status put you at the top of your UPG group for DEN-ORD? On your return, would the ORD-DEN connection also give you T priority for your eVIP LHR-ORD?

But from what you say T status would not apply on the final ORD-DEN segment, so your UPG priority on that segment would necessarily be behind anyone who checked in 24 hours ahead? (For this reason some people have recommended buying domestic and international legs as separate fares, so that you can still do OLCI for the domestic flights.)
I'll have to apologize here as I dont know the correct answer as to how T applies to Upgrades. I have been searching through the reference files for the last hour and am unbale to find a definitive answer. I'll look in to it over the next day or so and get back to you .
Old Feb 13, 2007, 9:58 am

Programs: aa exp 1MM, alaska air, united, hhonors gold, spg gold
The system also keep a record of WHEN you first get on the upgrade list.

I just got off the phone with an agent to check my status (flight hasn't cleared at 72 hours.) She made a mistake and thought I wanted to upgrade my entire itinerary SFO-ORD-LHR including the international portion, so started to do so. Then I said, no I'm just interested in the domestic portion. She undid the international part (I hadn't paid) and apologized.

But when I signed back on I was no longer on the upgrade list for the domestic portion of the flight SFO-ORD.

I added myself back by checking the "request upgrade" check box on the res on aa.com.

Then to confirm I called back and the second agent said " Yes you are back on the list, and you are at the same place on the list as you were before. You went on the upgrade list on Dec 19th and 10:33pm. That's the time it uses evern if you are re-added"

SO....If you are on the upgrade list and get removed and readded you apparently keep the same original position based on time you first got on the list... Can anyone else confirm this happening to them?

----
Another puzzle though is that neither the first nor the second agent could tell me how many other people were on the SFO-ORD upgrade list. The both said they could not see that screen or that info. Is this new or does it depend on who they are? It is now 30 hours to departure.
Old Jul 28, 2008, 12:58 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
order on standby list problem

I was flying on 7/25/08 flt 750 dfw-lga, on arrival (from msy) i saw that my flt was cancelled. At the ac i learned that i was booked the next day, dfw-atl-lga; i asked to be placed on the standby list for the next dfw-lga flt. At the gate i saw that i was #76 (out of 100+), i went to the gate for the next dfw-lga, and was #14 (out of 16)--but since only two got on that flt, even #3 would not have helped. For the remaining two flights to lga, i was in the low 90's. I quit and went to the ac--i was rebooked confirmed on a next day flt at 10:45 am (and since weather caused mine and several other flights to nyc to be cancelled, i accepted the "distressed rate".)
According to one of the gate agents (and from the notes on the monitor), when one checks in for their original flight, plays a big role in their place on standby list. [I didn't check in for my flights until i arrived at the airport in msy on 7/25 at 2:00 pm--yet i thought that as exp plat i should have been higher than i was--but there may have been more cancellations than i was aware of.]
Today, i tried to go standby on 700, the first flight out from dfw to lga. When i got to the gate (since there was a "windows error" message, which obscured part of the screen) i wanted to know my place on the list, agent: "you are number 46", more careful reading of the screen showed me as #1--agent: "the monitor does not show the "real" list". Things appeared even worse, when they were solitciting volunteers (with $200 vouchers) to go on a later flight (at least one, possibly two, accepted vouchers), a minute before closing the door, i was given my seat assignment.^
Why would aa give vouchers and then confirm my standby? (i am not complaining , only curious.)
What are the rules for standby order? Are they officially stated on aa.com?
correction the date 7/25/08 should be replaced by 7/27/08--i am posting this correction on 7/28/08 at 22:46 edt.

Last edited by JDiver; Aug 26, 2008 at 7:10 pm Reason: edit back in original thread / post title
Old Jul 28, 2008, 1:06 pm
Suspended

I gave up after the first couple of sentences.

A more legible format would be my first advice if you expect help.

mike
Old Jul 28, 2008, 1:14 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Historically, Standby priority has been determined by three things according to the gate monitors: 1) Status, 2) Check-in time, 3) Travel disruptions, although exactly how being a distressed pax factors in is not entirely clear. However, with the change earlier this year to Upgrade priority, which no longer factors in Check-in time but only Purchase date, some have hypothesized that Check-in time also no longer matters for Standby priority, since they are both managed on the same PALL list behind the scenes.

However, there is no evidence as to whether or not such a change has been made to Standby priority. Barring that, I continue to operate under the assumption that Check-in time DOES matter for Standby priority and continue to do OLCI at T-24 (or thereabouts now that Upgrades are no longer impacted).

The 'real list' that the GA may have been talking about is the PALL list, which includes Upgrades, Standbys, Nonrevs, etc. Search for threads and posts by jrhone and you'll find more info, although some of it is apparently now dated.
Old Jul 28, 2008, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Yes, indeed, Check-In Time still matters a LOT for STANDBY priority within status levels! (only the upgrade priority system changed)

DFW-LGA is an extremely elite-heavy route. In fact, it is an extremely EXP-heavy route. I'm not surprised that you were #46 on the list, even as an EXP.

To ensure a higher place on the list, you could have checked in for your ORIGINAL flight at exactly 24 hours before the first segment departed out of MSY. Also, you could have asked the GA or AAngel to place you on the list as a "THRU" passenger (as opposed to an O/D passenger). Having the "Thru" designation bumps you up a bit on the PALL list.

That way, you would have been ahead of all other EXPs whose original flights departed later than yours, as well as all other EXPs who were originating at DFW.
Old Jul 28, 2008, 2:39 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ESpen36
Yes, indeed, Check-In Time still matters a LOT for STANDBY priority within status levels! (only the upgrade priority system changed)

DFW-LGA is an extremely elite-heavy route. In fact, it is an extremely EXP-heavy route. I'm not surprised that you were #46 on the list, even as an EXP.

To ensure a higher place on the list, you could have checked in for your ORIGINAL flight at exactly 24 hours before the first segment departed out of MSY. Also, you could have asked the GA or AAngel to place you on the list as a "THRU" passenger (as opposed to an O/D passenger). Having the "Thru" designation bumps you up a bit on the PALL list.

That way, you would have been ahead of all other EXPs whose original flights departed later than yours, as well as all other EXPs who were originating at DFW.
I think i must have "really" been #1, as the monitor showed, since i believe (i was watching the ga carefully) got the only seat left.
One of my questions was if they were vouchering, why did i even get my seat?
Old Jul 28, 2008, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nrr
One of my questions was if they were vouchering, why did i even get my seat?

Old Jul 28, 2008, 2:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3.4MM, BAEC, UAMP, Skyteam (<10k) HH Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz Gold, GE/TSA TT
And don't forget THRU passengers on eVIP or miles upgrades have priority over all others who are hoping to use stickers, regardless of status.... and sometimes (dunno why), if you are a THRU passenger using eVIP/miles, you won't show on the monitor upgrade list.
Old Jul 28, 2008, 2:45 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Let me rephrase: why offer vouchers to put pax on a later flight, to open up a seat for me--a standby?
Old Jul 28, 2008, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by billgrates3
And don't forget THRU passengers on eVIP or miles upgrades have priority over all others who are hoping to use stickers, regardless of status.... and sometimes (dunno why), if you are a THRU passenger using eVIP/miles, you won't show on the monitor upgrade list.

Yes, exactly. See this post for the explanation of why you won't show on the upgrade list if you are waiting for an upgrade using miles/eVIP instead of stickers:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showp...5&postcount=12
Old Jul 28, 2008, 3:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Well, I find it very surprising that the OP was #46. I travel plenty of EXP-heavy routes and I have never, ever, ever been that far down the standby list... ever.
Old Jul 28, 2008, 4:06 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
I've been #20-something as an EXP during IRROPS and was the 3rd standby pax called for the flight -- so I don't put too much into those lists during severe IRROPS.
Old Jul 28, 2008, 5:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2.6 MM
Up until last year, I was commuting LGA-TUL weekly. I agree from a lot of experience that when things go bad at LGA, they go really bad. Often they will board FIRST, EXP, PLT as separate groups since they often have 20+ EXP on a single flight. On those long stand-by lists, the EXP section can be very lengthy. If 1 or 2 flights are disrupted, it is very conceivable to have that many EXP's on a standby list.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.