Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Airport Upgrade and Standby Priority List (“PALL”) Order (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 21, 2013, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: VFR
Airport Upgrade and Standby Order, Priority “PALL” List
Questions, Upgrade Anomalies, Issues, etc.
NOTE: Complimentary upgrades are now ordered based on (1) Status, (2) 12 month rolling Loyalty Points, (3) Time and date of upgrade request.

NOTE: As of 1 Jan 2017, your travel companion will "borrow" your PALL listing. Link.

Main PALL list codes. Passengers are ordered by code, then elite status, then other factors. Additional codes may be entered to designate other information, such as companions traveling together.
  • OS# = Confirmed Economy passenger awaiting seat assignment.
  • RF = Confirmed First Class passenger awaiting seat assignment.
  • DSR# = Standby First Class passenger, confirmed in Economy. Usually used for involuntary downgrades of paid First passengers.
  • VIP# = Passenger awaiting a SWU upgrade.
  • MLG# = Passenger awaiting a mileage and copay upgrade. This may be the same priority as VIP, i.e. VIP1 = MLG1, VIP2 = MLG2, etc.
  • UPG# = Confirmed Economy passenger awaiting a complimentary, or elite sticker upgrade. Within a status group, passengers are ordered by 12 month rolling loyalty points followed by time and date of upgrade request.
  • RI# = Revenue involuntary standby passenger (bumped from another flight due to oversold condition or travel disruptions). Within a status group, passengers are ordered by check-in time.
  • RV# = Revenue voluntary standby passenger. Within a status group, passengers are ordered by check-in time.
  • RV = Non-status revenue passengers on voluntary standby, and certain staff travel.
  • D% = Non-revenue standby passenger (AA employees, family, and friends), where % is an additional number code pertaining to the type of pass and not related to elite status. See the Staff Travel / Buddy Pass Thread.
  • VOL = Volunteer for bump to a later flight. Passengers are ordered by time of volunteering (first come-first served).
  • DG = Passenger with involuntary (or voluntary) downgrade in class-of-service.
  • RL = "Flat Tire Rule" passenger missing a flight through no fault of their own or AA (L=Late, in this case). Note that in some circumstances, AA may offer a confirmed seat on a later flight instead.
  • -T = Through passenger - Addition of this suffix gives priority over other passengers in the same status group, overriding normal time-based ranking. This suffix is supposed to be used for passengers connecting from another flight.
Status indicator numbers UPG/VIP (#) = 1 = Concierge Key; 2 = Executive Platinum; 3 = Platinum Pro; 4 = Platinum, 5 = Gold; no number = no status (e.g. UPG2/VIP2 for EP).

C/o sensei:

The following UPG priority levels are now in effect:
  • UPG1/VIP1 Concierge Key
  • UPG2/VIP2 Executive Platinum
  • UPG3/VIP3 Platinum Pro
  • UPG4/VIP4 Platinum
  • UPG5/VIP5 Gold
  • UPG/VIP No status
UPGC is used for operational upgrades

Revenue Standbys are cleared in the following order:
  • RIT (involuntary, transit)
  • RI (involuntary)
  • RV (voluntary)
  • RL (late)
*Numbers corresponding to elite status will determine the order of the passengers within each category.

All revenue standbys are cleared before any non-revenue standbys

Older posts have been archived to this thread.
Print Wikipost

Airport Upgrade and Standby Priority List (“PALL”) Order (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2017, 9:47 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Au4882
...- NEITHER of us were on the upgrade list for PHX-CLT (at least the upgrade list on the App). I enquired via Twitter during my BUR-PHX flight, and AA responded that all was well, and I was on the list despite what the app was saying....

...This also goes against the "new" policy of companions inheriting status. She did not on ANY segment. This is consistent with how she's lost my status on the PALL list for the last 2.5 years when traveling with me.
For the first item, see here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...on-t-show.html

For the second item, the scheduled implementation for companion -upgrade- status-sharing, the Jan 1 implementation for that didn't happen. Companion -standby- status-sharing is all they've implemented so far.

Not to say either/any/all of this doesn't, absolutely, make for an awful lot of understandable confusion and frustration-- it surely does.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ahhhh, maybe the "not everyone showing on the upgrade list" bug is what actually hit us in Hawaii. Maybe even thought the app showed us a 1/2 we were actually lower.

Super frustrating.
Old Jan 21, 2017, 3:31 pm

Programs: DL Plat 1MM, AA EXP 3MM, SQ Krisflyer Gold, UA Silver, Marriott LTT, HH Gold
Companion Upgrade Priority not working like I thought

Wild guess, I am not the only one who may have misunderstood how priority works now - I assumed that passengers who are below a pax with a companion would not get upgraded unless there only ends up being one seat available at the gate and they may pull a single traveler ahead.
Tomorrow I (EXP) am flying with my wife (P) and our 7 year old (G) from ATL to MIA. It's a 319, there are currently two C seats occupied. Son and I are on a locator, wife is by herself. The rationale was, odds are we'd end up with at least two C seats. My wife got upgraded about 26h before departure while we boys are still in coach. The flight shows C6 - so there are definitely unsold seats. I am perfectly happy that my wife got upgraded - but I would be way less happy about any other Platinum that got upgraded before son and I do.

What is everyone else's impression of how this should work? Am I alone with my assumption that a P would not get upgraded ahead of an EXP with companion as long as there is a change that both can get upgraded?
Old Jan 21, 2017, 3:48 pm

Programs: AA EP
Sounds like the automated comp upgrade system only was clearing 1 seat and ur PNR must be set to "don't split" so when there weren't 2 seats they went to the next person who was ur wife who was on a PNR by herself. Sounds like it worked as designed and communicated to people. And yes, since u are a. Party of two, other plays could be upgraded ahead of u if there is only 1 seat to be upgraded.

Originally Posted by flying_geek
Wild guess, I am not the only one who may have misunderstood how priority works now - I assumed that passengers who are below a pax with a companion would not get upgraded unless there only ends up being one seat available at the gate and they may pull a single traveler ahead.
Tomorrow I (EXP) am flying with my wife (P) and our 7 year old (G) from ATL to MIA. It's a 319, there are currently two C seats occupied. Son and I are on a locator, wife is by herself. The rationale was, odds are we'd end up with at least two C seats. My wife got upgraded about 26h before departure while we boys are still in coach. The flight shows C6 - so there are definitely unsold seats. I am perfectly happy that my wife got upgraded - but I would be way less happy about any other Platinum that got upgraded before son and I do.

What is everyone else's impression of how this should work? Am I alone with my assumption that a P would not get upgraded ahead of an EXP with companion as long as there is a change that both can get upgraded?
Old Jan 21, 2017, 4:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP
always thought this was just silly. the list should be the list and they should go in order, not jump people bc they have a +1.
Old Jan 21, 2017, 4:23 pm

Programs: DL Plat 1MM, AA EXP 3MM, SQ Krisflyer Gold, UA Silver, Marriott LTT, HH Gold
Yeah, I thought that was only done at the end of the upgrade process - where of course that makes sense to skip 1+1 if you are definitely only having one seat left. Well, thanks - learned something again
Old Jan 21, 2017, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 869
always thought this was just silly. the list should be the list and they should go in order, not jump people bc they have a +1.
Agree 100%. Just don't upgrade the next person until there's R2 if it's a companion. Don't force your customers to make Sophie's choice. At least not until there's *really* only 1 seat left.
Old Jan 21, 2017, 7:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Agree 100%. Just don't upgrade the next person until there's R2 if it's a companion. Don't force your customers to make Sophie's choice. At least not until there's *really* only 1 seat left.
Ok, I agree with the last part. Only if there is only one seat available. But on the flip side, there will be those that will complain that the aren't being upgrade within their windows. Too bad they don't know that there is a party of four ahead of them!
Old Jan 21, 2017, 7:47 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by ijgordon
It sounds like they're switching to the way US did this. As long as I can remember, on US you were upgraded with your companion only if there were 2 seats available for upgrade. If there weren't, you were skipped and the upgrade went to the next in line.
Old Jan 21, 2017, 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by aztimm
It sounds like they're switching to the way US did this. As long as I can remember, on US you were upgraded with your companion only if there were 2 seats available for upgrade. If there weren't, you were skipped and the upgrade went to the next in line.
That's how AA has worked too. We are just discussing the mechanics of it. IMO, If EXP +1 is top of the list and then followed by 5 individually requesting Golds, EXP and companion shouldn't miss because RM releases 5 seats in F but only 1 seat at a time throughout the day before airport control.
Old Jan 22, 2017, 7:44 am

I ran into a weird upgrade situation today. I'm an EXP traveling internationally with a companion with no status on the same PNR. A friend of mine who is CK graciously offered to upgrade us using their SWUs that will be expiring soon. When we got to the airport today, the upgrade list showed my companion, someone else, and then me. When I asked about this situation at the lounge and gate, the agents were puzzled since my companion was ahead of me and that there was someone else in-between. They provided some roundabout explanation that since my friend is CK, their SWU has priority over regular EXP SWUs regardless of status but that still doesn't really explain how someone else was between us on the upgrade list.Has anyone else seen a scenario like this before?
Old Jan 22, 2017, 10:21 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by snorLAX
They provided some roundabout explanation that since my friend is CK, their SWU has priority over regular EXP SWUs regardless of status but that still doesn't really explain how someone else was between us on the upgrade list.Has anyone else seen a scenario like this before?
I have no idea about CK SWU priority, but assuming that is the reason your companion was #1, the best explanation regarding #2 is an EXP who put in SWU request before you put in your request as "paid" upgrade requests are prioritized by status and time of request.
Old Jan 22, 2017, 1:53 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt LT Global Elitist, Bonvyoed LT Titanium, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
So, I am EXP, Wife is PLT. Traveling LAX-HKG, HKG-LAX later in February and are waitlisted for SWUs (Y->J)

Presently we are on the same PNR. Should I split them now? I booked on the same PNR so hopefully we would would retain EXP listing on the PALL list (Since that's likely where the upgrade will occur), but seeing as how that has not materialized, I don't want to get passed over if only one C seat opens prior to the PALL list.

If I split them now, will I lose my upgrade timestamp?
Old Jan 27, 2017, 3:58 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Another flight today with 2 on the PNR (EXP + Gold). EXP #1, Gold at bottom on the list on the upgrade list at T-4.

This still has not been fixed. If the Gold was not Elite then the companion would be #2 on the list. AA really needs to fix this. Discussion here that it was fixed on Jan 1st is not true.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 5:50 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by cova
Another flight today with 2 on the PNR (EXP + Gold). EXP #1, Gold at bottom on the list on the upgrade list at T-4.

This still has not been fixed. If the Gold was not Elite then the companion would be #2 on the list. AA really needs to fix this. Discussion here that it was fixed on Jan 1st is not true.

Originally Posted by JonNYC
...the scheduled implementation for companion -upgrade- status-sharing, the Jan 1 implementation for that didn't happen. Companion -standby- status-sharing is all they've implemented so far.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.