Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Airport Upgrade and Standby Priority List (“PALL”) Order (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 21, 2013, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: VFR
Airport Upgrade and Standby Order, Priority “PALL” List
Questions, Upgrade Anomalies, Issues, etc.
NOTE: Complimentary upgrades are now ordered based on (1) Status, (2) 12 month rolling Loyalty Points, (3) Time and date of upgrade request.

NOTE: As of 1 Jan 2017, your travel companion will "borrow" your PALL listing. Link.

Main PALL list codes. Passengers are ordered by code, then elite status, then other factors. Additional codes may be entered to designate other information, such as companions traveling together.
  • OS# = Confirmed Economy passenger awaiting seat assignment.
  • RF = Confirmed First Class passenger awaiting seat assignment.
  • DSR# = Standby First Class passenger, confirmed in Economy. Usually used for involuntary downgrades of paid First passengers.
  • VIP# = Passenger awaiting a SWU upgrade.
  • MLG# = Passenger awaiting a mileage and copay upgrade. This may be the same priority as VIP, i.e. VIP1 = MLG1, VIP2 = MLG2, etc.
  • UPG# = Confirmed Economy passenger awaiting a complimentary, or elite sticker upgrade. Within a status group, passengers are ordered by 12 month rolling loyalty points followed by time and date of upgrade request.
  • RI# = Revenue involuntary standby passenger (bumped from another flight due to oversold condition or travel disruptions). Within a status group, passengers are ordered by check-in time.
  • RV# = Revenue voluntary standby passenger. Within a status group, passengers are ordered by check-in time.
  • RV = Non-status revenue passengers on voluntary standby, and certain staff travel.
  • D% = Non-revenue standby passenger (AA employees, family, and friends), where % is an additional number code pertaining to the type of pass and not related to elite status. See the Staff Travel / Buddy Pass Thread.
  • VOL = Volunteer for bump to a later flight. Passengers are ordered by time of volunteering (first come-first served).
  • DG = Passenger with involuntary (or voluntary) downgrade in class-of-service.
  • RL = "Flat Tire Rule" passenger missing a flight through no fault of their own or AA (L=Late, in this case). Note that in some circumstances, AA may offer a confirmed seat on a later flight instead.
  • -T = Through passenger - Addition of this suffix gives priority over other passengers in the same status group, overriding normal time-based ranking. This suffix is supposed to be used for passengers connecting from another flight.
Status indicator numbers UPG/VIP (#) = 1 = Concierge Key; 2 = Executive Platinum; 3 = Platinum Pro; 4 = Platinum, 5 = Gold; no number = no status (e.g. UPG2/VIP2 for EP).

C/o sensei:

The following UPG priority levels are now in effect:
  • UPG1/VIP1 Concierge Key
  • UPG2/VIP2 Executive Platinum
  • UPG3/VIP3 Platinum Pro
  • UPG4/VIP4 Platinum
  • UPG5/VIP5 Gold
  • UPG/VIP No status
UPGC is used for operational upgrades

Revenue Standbys are cleared in the following order:
  • RIT (involuntary, transit)
  • RI (involuntary)
  • RV (voluntary)
  • RL (late)
*Numbers corresponding to elite status will determine the order of the passengers within each category.

All revenue standbys are cleared before any non-revenue standbys

Older posts have been archived to this thread.
Print Wikipost

Airport Upgrade and Standby Priority List (“PALL”) Order (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2024, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by saltytheseagull
A confirmed F seat on an earlier flight because the system is not allowing me confirm a change to a later one.
Was there irrops or something? Still not clear what you booked vs what you're trying to "DSR" onto.
Old Feb 15, 2024, 10:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton DMD, Hyatt Glob, Hertz PC
I thought DSR was waitlisting for the cabin you had booked, once you've already been rebooked in a lower cabin. I don't think it is possible to 'DSR onto' a flight.

saltytheseagull , do you mean Same Day Confirm? That should be possible, but only on the day.
JJeffrey likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2024, 10:57 pm

Programs: Some more than others
Originally Posted by saltytheseagull
A confirmed F seat on an earlier flight because the system is not allowing me confirm a change to a later one.
DSR can only be done at the airport. Only of value if the agent listing knows how to do it and gate agent knows what theyre doing and in the case of 3 cabin F doesnt have a long list of nonrevs they try to get on above you.

I've DSR'ed on voluntary standby on paid F/J many times but only if they above are met.
Old Feb 15, 2024, 11:42 pm

Programs: AA PPro BA Bronze SPG Gold HH GLD Hyatt Exp
Let me try explaining again. I hold a confirmed F award on an earlier flight that is issued by AA and there are no IRROPS. I want to get on a later flight but confirmed flight change is not available. I can add myself to the standby list but want to confirm that I will be added to standby in F. I spoke with an agent and that was what I was told but was curious if any FTer's had data points.
Old Feb 16, 2024, 7:55 pm

Programs: AA PPro BA Bronze SPG Gold HH GLD Hyatt Exp
FWIW, I got a competent agent at the airport and a seat. If I understood the agent correctly, she said that oversells were ahead of me.
Old Feb 16, 2024, 9:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton DMD, Hyatt Glob, Hertz PC
Your code would be RV (Revenue Voluntary). You'd get F if available when they clear the list, and if not, would be offered J or Y. By oversales, I assume you mean pax booked in J on the flight you desire that need to be rolled to F. They would go ahead of you.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 2:31 pm

Programs: Free agent
What are the rankings for standby priority for one world elite versus American Airlines elites when flying on American metal?

I am an AA Plt but also a OW Emerald. I know I’m giving up the potential for an upgrade if I use my OneWorld number, but would I be ranked higher on standby priority?
Old Mar 27, 2024, 9:24 am

Last week I was on a flight where my upgrade (as PPro) cleared around 75 hours before the flight! Wow! The seat map showed plenty of open seats in first class. When the upgrade waitlist posted 12 hours before the flight, it showed 8 available first class seats and no one on the wait list. Up until the 40-minute upgrade window, the waitlist showed 8 available seats; no one on the waitlist; no one on the standby list. When I boarded my flight, the first class cabin was completely full. I experienced this once before where there were more first class seats available then there were people on the upgrade list; yet the first class cabin went out full. Anyone know how AA decides to op-up in these cases? And why?
Old Mar 27, 2024, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by ebuck
Last week I was on a flight where my upgrade (as PPro) cleared around 75 hours before the flight! Wow! The seat map showed plenty of open seats in first class. When the upgrade waitlist posted 12 hours before the flight, it showed 8 available first class seats and no one on the wait list. Up until the 40-minute upgrade window, the waitlist showed 8 available seats; no one on the waitlist; no one on the standby list. When I boarded my flight, the first class cabin was completely full. I experienced this once before where there were more first class seats available then there were people on the upgrade list; yet the first class cabin went out full. Anyone know how AA decides to op-up in these cases? And why?
It's usually just a combination of employees and folks that may purchase a last minute upgrade when offered at check-in. AA never gives op-up's just because there are empty seats up front.
AAway and TWA884 like this.
Old Apr 9, 2024, 7:12 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
I am finding that the sorting of a lower level elite companion in same PNR with EXP - is now sorted with their own status - as over a year. Then they fixed it and the companion followed below the higher elite level. Now it looks like we are back to the old way with agent having to manually reorder.

This way on last two flights? Others?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.