Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

"Airport Upgrade and Standby List" / Order, PALL List and issues (master thread)

"Airport Upgrade and Standby List" / Order, PALL List and issues (master thread)

Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 29, 19, 12:44 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: JDiver
Wiki Link
Airport Upgrade and Standby Order, the PALL list
questions, upgrade anomalies, issues, etc.

NOTE: Upgrade waitlist priority changes from 1) Status, followed by 2) Date of request to 1) Status, followed by 2) Rolling EQD earning for last 365 days on 20 May 2017. Link to FT thread.

NOTE: As of 1 Jan 2017, your travel companion will "borrow" your PALL listing. Link. AA's employee newsletter also gives a complete breakdown on page 5 here: http://c.hub.aa.com/email/arrivals/2...vals_final.pdf

Main PALL list codes. Passengers are ordered by code, then elite status, then other time-based factors. Additional codes may be entered to designate other information, such as companions traveling together.
OS# = Confirmed Economy passenger awaiting seat assignment.
RF = Confirmed First Class passenger awaiting seat assignment.
DSR# = Standby First Class passenger, confirmed in Economy.
VIP# = Passenger awaiting a SWU upgrade.
UPG# = Confirmed Economy passenger awaiting mileage, complimentary, or elite sticker upgrade.
.........Within a status group, passengers are ordered by date and time of original request.
RI# = Revenue involuntary standby passenger (bumped from another flight due to oversold condition or travel disruptions).
.........Within a status group, passengers are ordered by check-in time.
RV# = Revenue voluntary standby passenger. Within a status group, passengers are ordered by check-in time.
RV = Non-status revenue passengers eligible for voluntary standby.
D% = Non-revenue standby passenger (AA employees, family, and friends), where % is an additional number code pertaining to the type of pass and not related to elite status.
VOL = Volunteer for bump to a later flight.
.........Passengers are ordered by time of volunteering (first come-first served).
DG = Passenger with involuntary (or voluntary) downgrade in class-of-service.
RL = "Flat Tire Rule" passenger missing a flight through no fault of their own or AA (L=Late, in this case)
-T = Through passenger - Addition of this suffix gives priority over other passengers in the same status group, overriding normal time-based ranking. This suffix is supposed to be used for passengers connecting from another flight.
● Status indicator numbers UPG/VIP (#) = 1 = Concierge Key; 2 = Executive Platinum; 3 = Platinum Pro; 4 = Platinum, 5 = Gold; no number = no status (e.g. UPG2/VIP2 for EP).
C/o sensei:

The following UPG priority levels are now in effect:
  • UPG1/VIP1 Concierge Key
  • UPG2/VIP2 Executive Platinum
  • UPG3/VIP3 Platinum Pro
  • UPG4/VIP4 Platinum
  • UPG5/VIP5 Gold
  • UPG/VIP No status
UPGC is used for operational upgrades

"a notable difference is that SWU requests now have status levels other than just VIP1

Revenue Standbys are cleared in the following order:
RIT (involuntary, transit)
RI (involuntary)
RV (voluntary)
RL (late)

*Numbers corresponding to elite status will determine the order of the passengers within each category.

All revenue standbys are cleared before any non-revenue standbys

Print Wikipost

Old Jul 7, 12, 8:04 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, AS 75K Gold MVP, and some hotel stuff...
Originally Posted by andreiz View Post
Nice. I can stop waking up early to check in, then. Could you point me to the FAQ you mentioned?
It's a sticky at the top of the forum. It has a section on upgrades where the mechanics of the process are covered, there and in the links

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...e-first-2.html

Cheers.
Old Sep 6, 12, 10:44 am

Standby List Priority "Rolling the List Over To Next Flight" - How does it work?

Was wondering if anyone knows how Standby lists work - esp when there are multiple delays and the list gets "rolled over" to the next flight. Do the people who are "rolled over" trump anyone already on the standby list for the next flight? How is it prioritize? Had this happen a few days ago at ORD when NYC airports were backed up all afternoon.
Old Sep 6, 12, 10:58 am

What type of standby?

I don't know about revenue pax but if you're non revving then it is always based on airline policy. For example, with united, it's seniority. If you get rolled over, you merge in with your seniority. You don't go to the top.

If you meant revenue pax - sorry.
Old Sep 6, 12, 11:02 am

Programs: Various
This gives a fairly good understanding of the list:

AA PALL Info
Old Jan 17, 13, 2:24 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: DL Diamond; SPG Platinum; sometimes other things too
I am an AA Gold whose status is expiring Feb 28 and at the moment I don't foresee myself having AA status again soon. I have 2 500-mile upgrades and am flying EWR-DFW-AUS and AUS-JFK this weekend, and have upgrades requested for EWR-DFW and AUS-JFK, each requiring 3 stickers -- so I'm stuck deciding if I want to buy one that may not get used for a long time if neither of these flights clear.

Right now EWR-DFW (flight 1853 tomorrow) is showing F5 on KVS, but I have not received any notification of an upgrade 21 hours before departure. Any tips on how best to handle this? Just wait as long as possible to check in and see if an email confirmation of upgrade comes through before then? Is it realistic to expect an email sometime today, or at this point is it most likely nothing will clear until the airport? (The return flight is looking quite grim for upgrades too, so if the outbound doesn't clear there's not much of a Plan B for using the purchased coupon.)
Old Jan 17, 13, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, it's only $30. There's no real disadvantage of waiting until the last minute to check in for the flight to see if it clears before you buy the extra upgrade. Just remember it takes 2 hours to be available if you purchase it online, you might be better off using the kiosk in this instance. I think upgrades will continue to be cleared off the automated advance "waitlist" until at least a couple hours prior to departure, and check-in status will not have an impact on this.
Old Jan 17, 13, 7:05 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by ijgordon View Post
Well, it's only $30. There's no real disadvantage of waiting until the last minute to check in for the flight to see if it clears before you buy the extra upgrade. Just remember it takes 2 hours to be available if you purchase it online, you might be better off using the kiosk in this instance. I think upgrades will continue to be cleared off the automated advance "waitlist" until at least a couple hours prior to departure, and check-in status will not have an impact on this.
Thanks for the thoughts. So purchasing a 500-miler on the kiosk will make it available immediately, unlike purchasing it online?
Old Jan 17, 13, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by colerc:20071471
Thanks for the thoughts. So purchasing a 500-miler on the kiosk will make it available immediately, unlike purchasing it online?
According to AA.com.
Old Jan 17, 13, 9:57 pm

Programs: AA EP; HH Diamond; Marriott Plat; IHG Plat; National EE
EWR-DFW upgrade on a Friday as a Gold is a very low probability, although maybe on 1853 you have a shot since it's ~noon.

We have numerous folks that are Plats almost exclusively from flying this route (out Monday, back Thurs or Fri), and they're sitting in the back 90% of the time.
Old Jan 22, 13, 7:34 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by colerc View Post
I am an AA Gold whose status is expiring Feb 28 and at the moment I don't foresee myself having AA status again soon. I have 2 500-mile upgrades and am flying EWR-DFW-AUS and AUS-JFK this weekend, and have upgrades requested for EWR-DFW and AUS-JFK, each requiring 3 stickers -- so I'm stuck deciding if I want to buy one that may not get used for a long time if neither of these flights clear.

Right now EWR-DFW (flight 1853 tomorrow) is showing F5 on KVS, but I have not received any notification of an upgrade 21 hours before departure. Any tips on how best to handle this? Just wait as long as possible to check in and see if an email confirmation of upgrade comes through before then? Is it realistic to expect an email sometime today, or at this point is it most likely nothing will clear until the airport? (The return flight is looking quite grim for upgrades too, so if the outbound doesn't clear there's not much of a Plan B for using the purchased coupon.)
An update for anyone who may find yourself in a similar situation: it definitely seems checking in at the airport is the way to go. An agent there was able to tell me that there were still 4 platinums waiting to clear for upgrades ahead of me, so I did not bother buying the extra coupon. However she also checked me in while keeping me on the airport upgrade list, so I assume if there had been a bunch of no-shows I would have had to buy the extra coupon from the gate agent for $35 instead of $30 -- given the low chance of that happening I think it was a fair tradeoff.

On the return I likewise had a very low chance of the upgrade clearing, so I checked in at the kiosk. It was not entirely clear (there are no upgrade list status screens at AUS that I could see) but I think I may still have been on the airport upgrade list similar to on the outbound.

So it appears that it is only OLCI that is a problem when one is in this situation. However I should caveat that neither of the upgrades actually cleared so I don't know how that might have gone.
Old Jan 22, 13, 11:09 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond
I Missed my first upgrade in a while on AA85 JFK-SFO...

I was running late and one of the very last to board. The upgrade list had me at number one. I asked a GA if the flight boarded full and he indicated that it had not. After a minute wait the GA began to close out the flight and said I was in luck. However, he then informs me that I'm not number one despite the monitor indicating that I am. I proceed to take my MCE seat. The GA boards and pulls somebody else up to first class.

Shenanigans or some other power at work?

My guess is that people are removed from the list displayed on the monitor as they board, but the original priority remains intact. Why don't they just keep the names up there so people like me don't get their hopes up?
Old Jan 22, 13, 11:11 am
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Starwood (Plat) and every other US program
Originally Posted by Tugg View Post
I Missed my first upgrade in a while on AA85 JFK-SFO...

I was running late and one of the very last to board. The upgrade list had me at number one. I asked a GA if the flight boarded full and he indicated that it had not. After a minute wait the GA began to close out the flight and said I was in luck. However, he then informs me that I'm not number one despite the monitor indicating that I am. I proceed to take my MCE seat. The GA boards and pulls somebody else up to first class.

Shenanigans or some other power at work?

My guess is that people are removed from the list displayed on the monitor as they board, but the original priority remains intact. Why don't they just keep the names up there so people like me don't get their hopes up?
Your message is all correct. The list on the screen deducts people who have boarded, I also wish it didn't, but that has been the system for a few years now. (Many years ago, if you boarded, you lost your right to upgrade.)
Old Jan 22, 13, 2:50 pm

Programs: AA SPG Amex
Originally Posted by sbrower View Post
Your message is all correct. The list on the screen deducts people who have boarded, I also wish it didn't, but that has been the system for a few years now. (Many years ago, if you boarded, you lost your right to upgrade.)
Depending on the GA that day, you still might. Some follow the original list, others the list on the screen. I like when they at least announce which they intend to do.
Old Jan 22, 13, 2:53 pm

Programs: AA SPG Amex
Originally Posted by colerc View Post
I am an AA Gold whose status is expiring Feb 28 and at the moment I don't foresee myself having AA status again soon.
Any travel you book prior to 2/28 should still show/treat you as GLD for upgrade purposes. Unless manually updated, a reservation will reflect the traveler's status at booking, not at departure. That's why when people get bumped up a level they call to have their reservations changed to reflect this. It works the same way when you lose status (though you'd be an idiot to call and ask to have this changed). One year I remember falling from PLT to GLD but my upgrades for an existing reservation still clearing at the 72hour mark, not 24.
Old Jan 23, 13, 6:14 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Plat
Gate agent processed the upgrade list prior to the standby list which my me and my wife were on (flying on MileSaaver First award). Someone else upgrade cleared, which meant we had to be split up (wife in first, me in coach) once standby was processed.

Search this Thread