Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Just made EXP / Executive Platinum! Resources, ask questions, brag (pre-2017)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 29, 2012, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: akcae
Just made EXP / Executive Platinum! Resources, ask questions, brag (master thread)

First, a hearty welcome to Executive Platinum status!

New Executive Platinum members, whether "self-made", via your Concierge Key nomination or made by AA offers, including challenges, to similar status holders from competing airlines, often have questions about how the program works.

Feel free to post your questions here, but also be aware many of your questions about American Airlines, AAdvantage and Executive Platinum status can be answered in these resources:
Link to What are Executive Platinum / EP / EXP benefits? Are they worth it? (consolidated) thread on FT

Link to AAdvantage Elite Status guide and charts on aa.com

Link to "FAQ: American Airlines and AAdvantage - Please check here first!" thread.

Link to the FlyerGuide American Airlines Wiki
For older posts, please see ARCHIVE: Just made EXP / Executive Platinum! Resources, ask etc. brag (master thread)

Print Wikipost

Just made EXP / Executive Platinum! Resources, ask questions, brag (pre-2017)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2015, 5:49 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver (Thanks Marriott!), Marriott Lifetime Titanium & Hyatt Globalist
Renewed EXP again this year with help from a PHL>FLL MR this past Wednesday:

EQP: 72,533
EQM: 100,481 (10k Barclay silver card)
EQS: 58

SWU's have posted, stickers have not.
Old Dec 19, 2015, 10:52 am

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Requalified as EXP for 6th straight year. Just under 102K EQM.
Old Dec 19, 2015, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by j5rider
Crossed the finish line with 100,048 miles. No MRs but i did use some creative routings. Phew...
Arrived into HKG last week with a tally of 100,208. No MRs per se but a TPAC that perhaps was not necessary (but desired).

With a buffer of 200 miles I was checking to ensure my calculations were spot on* and shied away from a couple of routings that might have been slightly easier but came with more risk.

*On some routes AA awards miles lower than expected by 10 or so.
Old Dec 19, 2015, 8:34 pm

Programs: AA explt, 5 million miler
I got home from Bkk a couple of days ago figuring I need about 400 more miles.
When miles posted I was at 100094. 2016 will probably be my last at ExPlat. I did 5 trips to Bangkok from Miami this year, but next year staying over there for 6 months. Just not enough time to fly 100k. Have had ExPlat for 12 years, so hard to give up.
Old Dec 20, 2015, 5:16 am

Programs: AA-EXP; IC - Amb
Requalified last week
EQP: 60,819
EQM: 100,550
EQS: 45

Now in my 6th year as CP or EXP and must say I'm enjoying the AA experience even more than with US.
It's because I fly a few times a year to Asia, am an economy flyer (pay my own bills!), and appreciate the chance to use SWU (successful 4 times this year to or from Asia). Flying US partners to Asia on partners was brutal...
Wasn't so successful using SWU for Europe (2 redeemed out of 8 chances, have one more RT chance in January)
Domestically: I had 92% upgrade rate on flights under 1500 miles, but went 0 for 6 on flights over 1500 miles. Still - getting out of steerage on those 12-15 hours flights = no complaints from me.
Old Dec 20, 2015, 7:52 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat, Accor Plat+++
Finally finished year up. OW Qualifications:
EQP: 189,740
EQM: 139,394
EQS: 37

Obvisouly mostly ultra long haul in PE on CX and then C on KA intra-Asia. A bunch more miles on MU, CZ, VN, et al intra-Asia/China.

Happy Holidays everyone. Cheers.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 8:41 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt
I just made EXP and this is the first time I've ever held status on any airline. Whoohoo! Time to make the best out of it even though I'm not entirely sure how.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 9:02 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by madguy2
I just made EXP and this is the first time I've ever held status on any airline. Whoohoo! Time to make the best out of it even though I'm not entirely sure how.
Interesting.. how did you manage to skip the GLD and PLT statuses on your way to EXP??
Old Dec 21, 2015, 9:04 am

Originally Posted by zpaul
Q: I have an upcoming international flight, and then some domestic US flights on a different PNR in between the int'l arrival and departure. On my last day, I'm flying through ORD to DFW to position for my international segment. Will I be able to access the FL in ORD on a domestic-only reservation that is connecting me to an AA international flight?
Perhaps not the right thread , but yes if you show them (or they can look it up) that you have an international OW departure on the same day and you're connecting to it.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by NA-Flyer
Which status is better to stick to when flying mostly international in premium classes: AA EXP or BA Gold?
Depends where you do most of your non-international flying, I suspect. If in the US, BA Gold gets you access to ACs for free.

This coming qualification year (for 2017) AA has reduced the number of complimentary, space available, international upgrades from 8 to 4, so that advantage is now gone (caveat: you earn 2 more at 150K EQM, and 2 more for a total of 8 at 200K EQM).

If you fly on one of the carriers more, your chance for Operational UGs is higher with status on the said carrier. So a few things to consider.

Aside from all of the above both are OWE so all other OW benefits are the same.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 9:22 am

Requalified today at 100,538 EQM, although had my last flight on Dec 17th. The final flight that pushed me over as far as posting was flown on Dec 16th (AY).. so agonizing to wait
Old Dec 21, 2015, 11:16 am

I qualified for EXP back in Sept. I have still not received my EXP welcome kit with cards/luggage tags. I have emailed AA asking when they would show up and was told they are a "little behind" and to use their app in the interim.

3 months seems like a bit of a stretch to say a "little behind" but has anyone else experienced this sort of delay?
Old Dec 21, 2015, 12:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt
Originally Posted by teemuflyer
Interesting.. how did you manage to skip the GLD and PLT statuses on your way to EXP??
Hahaha fair point. This is the first year I've ever held any airline status would be a more accurate statement.
(since I held gold and plat shortly making EXP)
Old Dec 21, 2015, 2:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Amex Plat, A3 Gold
Qualified last week after some flights were retro-credited.
EQP: 100,213
EQM: 87,543
EQS: 58

Even skipped the return portion of a DEN-LAX-JFK-LAX-DEN F class mistake routing fare I posted a few weeks back. And with Mrs. DLinYUL also qualifying for EXP this year it will give me a solid bank of SWUs to loot.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 7:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Cit Prestige and premier cardholder
Originally Posted by longtimereader firstimeposter
I qualified for EXP back in Sept. I have still not received my EXP welcome kit with cards/luggage tags. I have emailed AA asking when they would show up and was told they are a "little behind" and to use their app in the interim.

3 months seems like a bit of a stretch to say a "little behind" but has anyone else experienced this sort of delay?
I hit EXP early November and still have not received anything other than an email. Finished my travel for the year at mid November at
EQP-67,302
EQM-110,586
EQS-92
Not horrible for a 17 year old high school student haha

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.