Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Just made EXP / Executive Platinum! Resources, ask questions, brag (pre-2017)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 29, 2012, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: akcae
Just made EXP / Executive Platinum! Resources, ask questions, brag (master thread)

First, a hearty welcome to Executive Platinum status!

New Executive Platinum members, whether "self-made", via your Concierge Key nomination or made by AA offers, including challenges, to similar status holders from competing airlines, often have questions about how the program works.

Feel free to post your questions here, but also be aware many of your questions about American Airlines, AAdvantage and Executive Platinum status can be answered in these resources:
Link to What are Executive Platinum / EP / EXP benefits? Are they worth it? (consolidated) thread on FT

Link to AAdvantage Elite Status guide and charts on aa.com

Link to "FAQ: American Airlines and AAdvantage - Please check here first!" thread.

Link to the FlyerGuide American Airlines Wiki
For older posts, please see ARCHIVE: Just made EXP / Executive Platinum! Resources, ask etc. brag (master thread)

Print Wikipost

Just made EXP / Executive Platinum! Resources, ask questions, brag (pre-2017)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2014, 7:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Recently requalified EXP for the 10th consecutive year.

Pleasantly surprised that the 2015 requalification package was received within a month of my qualifying flight. ^ Last year's took 10 months to show up (didn't actually arrive until June 2014).

-FlyerBeek
Old Nov 9, 2014, 10:48 pm

Programs: AA LTP, Bonvoy Titanium; AA CK before I retired
Requalified for 3rd consecutive year. Am planning to retire, or at least cut back, in 24 months... so I face only one more requal before I revert to LTP in retirement. Question is whether I make it to 4MM lifetime by then. Will be close.
Old Nov 9, 2014, 10:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 1865 Voyager, *G
I had my first T-100 upgrade clear after my first EXP qualification a few weeks ago! (return from vacation -- boo! -- CUN/JFK)
Old Nov 11, 2014, 6:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
Update to my EXP status change noted earlier. Made EXP Oct 16th.

- Immediate change of status in system - had no open flights/reservations so a new one I did picked up status right away.
- Got Systemwides in account 3 days later.
- New card arrived about 3 calendar weeks after making new status - DIDN'T have any carriers ask for it as long as BP showed and scanned as OW Emerald.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 1:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3mm, Hyatt Globalist
Just requalified for EXP after 73 segments on a MIA-LGA fl. 100,127 miles as of today. 2nd time as EXP and lifetime PLAT.
Old Nov 15, 2014, 12:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Requalified a few weeks ago after a year as plat. Got my SWUs immediately. I don't remember, do I get more at the beginning of next year or is it the one set until 2016, assuming I qualify next year? Thanks.
Old Nov 15, 2014, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
Requalified a few weeks ago after a year as plat. Got my SWUs immediately. I don't remember, do I get more at the beginning of next year or is it the one set until 2016, assuming I qualify next year? Thanks.
You get one set w/each qualifying year, so qualifying in 2014 - you have EXP status thru Feb 2016 - and get 8 SWUs that are good thru Feb 2016. If/When you requalify in 2015, you will get 8 more that are good thru Feb 2017 - just like your status. You will not get 8 more annually.

(Note: this scenario assumes that the program remains "as is").
Old Nov 15, 2014, 1:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by bdemaria
You get one set w/each qualifying year, so qualifying in 2014 - you have EXP status thru Feb 2016 - and get 8 SWUs that are good thru Feb 2016. If/When you requalify in 2015, you will get 8 more that are good thru Feb 2017 - just like your status. You will not get 8 more annually.

(Note: this scenario assumes that the program remains "as is").
Thanks.
Old Nov 15, 2014, 1:50 pm

Requalified last week. Used all of my 15 SWU's of last year - and apparently was 3 in the negative. There were software glitches early this year, so it looks like I accidentally used 18 SWU's instead of the 8+7 I was entitled to. Now 5 SWU's remaining. Next year likely to fall back to GLD/PLT due to less travel ... The good news: I still have 15 months of EXP status to enjoy!
Old Nov 15, 2014, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by Zaynab
Requalified last week. Used all of my 15 SWU's of last year - and apparently was 3 in the negative. There were software glitches early this year, so it looks like I accidentally used 18 SWU's instead of the 8+7 I was entitled to. Now 5 SWU's remaining. Next year likely to fall back to GLD/PLT due to less travel ... The good news: I still have 15 months of EXP status to enjoy!

How can one be entitled to 8 + 7 SWUs?
Old Nov 15, 2014, 5:44 pm
JTK

Programs: AAdvantage EP
Got the e-mail about boost to EXP the day I flew my qualifying miles on CX. Took a few days to post. Sitting right now at 100,119 (BIS) but I still have to fly home on HKG-DFW. This makes my 13 year as EXP.
Old Nov 15, 2014, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by bdemaria

How can one be entitled to 8 + 7 SWUs?
Color me confused as well.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 4:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
Just requalified -- on segments of all things -- 6th year in a row, 9th year overall.

Will go over the line on miles sometime in December. May not make the triple crown this year with points as I credited some of my expensive trips to another carrier.

It's interesting how even just crediting a few weeks of flights to another carrier really delays requalification. This is the latest date in my memory for requalification.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 6:56 pm

Programs: BA GGL, AA PLT, VS-curious
Im curious about SWU waitlists and popular routes. I know we're all on a level (after CK?) by date, but how often do people find they clear? Obviously no one has absolute answers, but are there thousands of us, hundreds of us, tens of us or just a few waiting on, say LHR-LAX? I've got more wait listed than I have in my account, but I'm not terribly hopeful on any of the nicer planes. The only one that cleared at booking was a flight on a 772 booked five months out. Any thoughts?
Old Nov 17, 2014, 8:10 pm

Programs: IC RA, AA EXP
Originally Posted by Arsey00
Im curious about SWU waitlists and popular routes. I know we're all on a level (after CK?) by date, but how often do people find they clear? Obviously no one has absolute answers, but are there thousands of us, hundreds of us, tens of us or just a few waiting on, say LHR-LAX? I've got more wait listed than I have in my account, but I'm not terribly hopeful on any of the nicer planes. The only one that cleared at booking was a flight on a 772 booked five months out. Any thoughts?
My experience on a upgrade busy route (LAX-NRT) is about 24 hours, or the gate. I think I've cleared >24 hours once or twice all year?

The upgrade list is always hovering around 7-10 people after they've cleared all C inventory, and 10+ if they don't release any.

I've had a pretty amazing success rate with my SWUs, and I generally book 1-2 months in advance and waitlist immediately.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.