FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Just made EXP / Executive Platinum! Resources, ask questions, brag (pre-2017) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/634552-just-made-exp-executive-platinum-resources-ask-questions-brag-pre-2017-a.html)

FlyerBeek Nov 8, 2014 7:30 pm

Recently requalified EXP for the 10th consecutive year.

Pleasantly surprised that the 2015 requalification package was received within a month of my qualifying flight. ^ Last year's took 10 months to show up (didn't actually arrive until June 2014).

-FlyerBeek

ccengct Nov 9, 2014 10:48 pm

Requalified for 3rd consecutive year. Am planning to retire, or at least cut back, in 24 months... so I face only one more requal before I revert to LTP in retirement. Question is whether I make it to 4MM lifetime by then. Will be close.

dp4m Nov 9, 2014 10:50 pm

I had my first T-100 upgrade clear after my first EXP qualification a few weeks ago! (return from vacation -- boo! -- CUN/JFK)

NickP 1K Nov 11, 2014 6:11 pm

Update to my EXP status change noted earlier. Made EXP Oct 16th.

- Immediate change of status in system - had no open flights/reservations so a new one I did picked up status right away.
- Got Systemwides in account 3 days later.
- New card arrived about 3 calendar weeks after making new status - DIDN'T have any carriers ask for it as long as BP showed and scanned as OW Emerald.

lcflyer Nov 12, 2014 1:00 pm

Just requalified for EXP after 73 segments on a MIA-LGA fl. 100,127 miles as of today. 2nd time as EXP and lifetime PLAT.

GadgetFreak Nov 15, 2014 12:04 pm

Requalified a few weeks ago after a year as plat. Got my SWUs immediately. I don't remember, do I get more at the beginning of next year or is it the one set until 2016, assuming I qualify next year? Thanks.

bdemaria Nov 15, 2014 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by GadgetFreak (Post 23846515)
Requalified a few weeks ago after a year as plat. Got my SWUs immediately. I don't remember, do I get more at the beginning of next year or is it the one set until 2016, assuming I qualify next year? Thanks.

You get one set w/each qualifying year, so qualifying in 2014 - you have EXP status thru Feb 2016 - and get 8 SWUs that are good thru Feb 2016. If/When you requalify in 2015, you will get 8 more that are good thru Feb 2017 - just like your status. You will not get 8 more annually.

(Note: this scenario assumes that the program remains "as is").

GadgetFreak Nov 15, 2014 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by bdemaria (Post 23846642)
You get one set w/each qualifying year, so qualifying in 2014 - you have EXP status thru Feb 2016 - and get 8 SWUs that are good thru Feb 2016. If/When you requalify in 2015, you will get 8 more that are good thru Feb 2017 - just like your status. You will not get 8 more annually.

(Note: this scenario assumes that the program remains "as is").

Thanks.

Zaynab Nov 15, 2014 1:50 pm

Requalified last week. Used all of my 15 SWU's of last year - and apparently was 3 in the negative. There were software glitches early this year, so it looks like I accidentally used 18 SWU's instead of the 8+7 I was entitled to. Now 5 SWU's remaining. Next year likely to fall back to GLD/PLT due to less travel ... The good news: I still have 15 months of EXP status to enjoy!

bdemaria Nov 15, 2014 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by Zaynab (Post 23846897)
Requalified last week. Used all of my 15 SWU's of last year - and apparently was 3 in the negative. There were software glitches early this year, so it looks like I accidentally used 18 SWU's instead of the 8+7 I was entitled to. Now 5 SWU's remaining. Next year likely to fall back to GLD/PLT due to less travel ... The good news: I still have 15 months of EXP status to enjoy!

:confused:

How can one be entitled to 8 + 7 SWUs?

JTK Nov 15, 2014 5:44 pm

Got the e-mail about boost to EXP the day I flew my qualifying miles on CX. Took a few days to post. Sitting right now at 100,119 (BIS) but I still have to fly home on HKG-DFW. This makes my 13 year as EXP.

vasantn Nov 15, 2014 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by bdemaria (Post 23847043)
:confused:

How can one be entitled to 8 + 7 SWUs?

Color me confused as well.

fastflyer Nov 17, 2014 4:28 pm

Just requalified -- on segments of all things -- 6th year in a row, 9th year overall.

Will go over the line on miles sometime in December. May not make the triple crown this year with points as I credited some of my expensive trips to another carrier.

It's interesting how even just crediting a few weeks of flights to another carrier really delays requalification. This is the latest date in my memory for requalification.

Arsey00 Nov 17, 2014 6:56 pm

Im curious about SWU waitlists and popular routes. I know we're all on a level (after CK?) by date, but how often do people find they clear? Obviously no one has absolute answers, but are there thousands of us, hundreds of us, tens of us or just a few waiting on, say LHR-LAX? I've got more wait listed than I have in my account, but I'm not terribly hopeful on any of the nicer planes. The only one that cleared at booking was a flight on a 772 booked five months out. Any thoughts?

grompf Nov 17, 2014 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by Arsey00 (Post 23857418)
Im curious about SWU waitlists and popular routes. I know we're all on a level (after CK?) by date, but how often do people find they clear? Obviously no one has absolute answers, but are there thousands of us, hundreds of us, tens of us or just a few waiting on, say LHR-LAX? I've got more wait listed than I have in my account, but I'm not terribly hopeful on any of the nicer planes. The only one that cleared at booking was a flight on a 772 booked five months out. Any thoughts?

My experience on a upgrade busy route (LAX-NRT) is about 24 hours, or the gate. I think I've cleared >24 hours once or twice all year?

The upgrade list is always hovering around 7-10 people after they've cleared all C inventory, and 10+ if they don't release any.

I've had a pretty amazing success rate with my SWUs, and I generally book 1-2 months in advance and waitlist immediately.