FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Just made EXP / Executive Platinum! Resources, ask questions, brag (pre-2017) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/634552-just-made-exp-executive-platinum-resources-ask-questions-brag-pre-2017-a.html)

bdemaria Jan 25, 2014 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by joejoe666 (Post 22222723)
more interested in luggage tags

Do they still give the luggage tags w/requalification?

nkedel Jan 25, 2014 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by bdemaria (Post 22222995)

The web page said they did -- as of a few months ago, around when I qualified. I'm still waiting on mine, and with the merger, who knows?

maggie08 Jan 26, 2014 4:58 am

Originally Posted by Explore (Post 22218972)
Under what circumstances will AA route you on another airline, in this case UA, to avoid a significant delay or catch up on your itinerary?

Originally Posted by bdemaria (Post 22219126)
In all my years traveling AA, I think I've been placed on another carrier twice. It would depend on the reason for the delay - and weather isn't going to be one of them.

I'm not EXP, so maybe I have no business posting in this thread, but as counter datapoint, during the icemageddon of last december in DFW, I was offered a flight on United so that I could get to my final destination quickly without going through DFW where my original flights had been cancelled. (I ended up declining this option.)

fotographer Jan 27, 2014 9:04 am

Originally Posted by bdemaria (Post 22222995)

I believe that EXPLAT are the only ones getting them, could be wrong,
mine came with the card in the mail..
not sure you would get 2 more upon requalifaction, seeing how your card is still valid, still waiting for my "appreication" bits, asked AA for more, but they would not provide me with any, even though I flew well over 225K last year, explained that I have a lot of people to thank at AA, but no luck

Explore Jan 27, 2014 12:46 pm

Upgrade Success Datapoint

So far in January, I've flown 17 segments on AA, and only one segment failed to clear an upgrade, for a success rate of 94%. There is no way that would happen on UA as a 1K, when flying less than Y or B fares. My success rate at UA probably wouldn't have exceeded 33%; a higher fare would have been necessary on the overseas flights; and where upgraded on meal flights the food would have been noticeably worse and electric plugs less common. Where I failed to upgrade, I wouldn't have received a free sandwich (or any food) on UA - and I would have needed a paper coupon for a free alcoholic beverage.

Of my 17 AA segments, I did support 2 intercontinental and 6 domestic segments with SWUs, of which only 3 cleared immediately. But the others came through at least 24 hours ahead. In future, I probably won't bother to commit SWUs to any North American itinerary, even red-eyes, since the odds of clearing are so high.

Of the 8 segments where I cleared complimentary 500-mile upgrades, some were last-minute and in a couple of cases I was upgraded after boarding. On one segment I was traveling standby on an overbooked plane, but the upgrade still came through.

Very impressed with EXP status! In February, I have three AA trips booked, and am hoping for SWUs to clear on ORD-PVG-ORD. Other segments have already cleared, or were booked into First/Business on cheapo runs to Colombia.

ATXflyer Jan 27, 2014 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by Explore (Post 22233072)
So far in January, I've flown 17 segments on AA, and only one segment failed to clear an upgrade, for a success rate of 94%. There is no way that would happen on UA as a 1K, when flying less than Y or B fares.

I hear ya! 16 segments this year so far on AA, all but one upgrade cleared, all domestic. What a huge difference this year flying up front on mainline aircraft with hot meals and friendly FAs. Goodbye UAX.

I made the jump to the Admiral's Club too even though my UC membership is still good for 2 months. The ACs in DFW are night and day better than the UCs in IAH, ORD, IAD, and DEN IMHO.

Booked a J flight to Brazil in March and am wait listed for F using a SWU. The year is off to a good start. Should re-qualify EXP in July.

billgrates3 Jan 27, 2014 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by UATexasFlyer (Post 22234396)
I hear ya! 16 segments this year so far on AA, all but one upgrade cleared, all domestic. What a huge difference this year flying up front on mainline aircraft with hot meals and friendly FAs. Goodbye UAX.

I made the jump to the Admiral's Club too even though my UC membership is still good for 2 months. The ACs in DFW are night and day better than the UCs in IAH, ORD, IAD, and DEN IMHO.

Booked a J flight to Brazil in March and am wait listed for F using a SWU. The year is off to a good start. Should re-qualify EXP in July.

... just wait until you get to use the BA Galleries First lounges at LHR.
:cool:

ATXflyer Jan 27, 2014 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by billgrates3 (Post 22234485)

I actually enjoyed one coming back from Mumbai, along with the Flagship Lounge at ORD. Talk about being spoiled. ^^

I'm surprised though, that there is no Flagship Lounge at DFW.

george 3 Jan 27, 2014 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by billgrates3 (Post 22234485)

^

My wife and I enjoyed Galleries whilst celebrating new EXP status two years ago on our way to Amsterdam.

I'm 2 for 2 on upgrades this year. Cleared via SWU GRU JFK and cleared comp u/g to Miami. Flying all paid J or F so far this year.

fotographer Jan 28, 2014 5:31 am

Originally Posted by UATexasFlyer (Post 22235460)
I actually enjoyed one coming back from Mumbai, along with the Flagship Lounge at ORD. Talk about being spoiled. ^^

I'm surprised though, that there is no Flagship Lounge at DFW.

I have asked, they have no idea, and now with the merger it looks sorry,
I always try to avoid ORD on my connections to India, because the weather is so iffy, so for me its either DFW or MIA, you would think that with the amount of international flights going out of both airports, it would be a no brainer...

nkedel Feb 4, 2014 10:33 pm

Card and two luggage tags just arrived. Gotta save these; I'm pretty sure it's back to PLT next year.

ahcjar103 Feb 5, 2014 7:52 am

Just made EXP / Executive Platinum! Resources, ask questions, brag (master thread)

Mine arrived yesterday as well. Like the design, clean and simple.

relberger Feb 5, 2014 9:34 am

For those who received them ... are they coming USPS, UPS, Fedex, or?

nkedel Feb 5, 2014 10:28 am

Originally Posted by relberger (Post 22291250)
For those who received them ... are they coming USPS, UPS, Fedex, or?

USPS. Regular glossy envelope, rather like the PLT card from prior years, although fatter because of the luggage tags (although go far enough back and PLT got those too.) Quite a long while back...

relberger Feb 5, 2014 2:09 pm

Ok... after shoveling my driveway for the third time today I walked up the street to the mailbox and voila ... there it was. Must have been the snows in the Northeast that got it delayed behind everyone else's notifications here.