Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Guide: GRU / Sao Paulo Admirals Club & oneworld Airline Lounges

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 23, 2015, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Please edit or add information to this wiki as necessary.

GRU São Paulo Guarulhos International Airport
Admirals Club and other lounges contracted by oneworld partner airlines

Link to GRU airport information on aa.com
Link to GRU website (English)
Link to oneworld website Lounge Access and Lounge Finder tool
Link to GRU Admirals Club page on aa.com

GRU T-3 Admirals Club
Access: Accessible to those qualifying passengers departing on AA marketed and operated flight.
Amenities:
  • USB and AC power at seats (need plug adapter to use AC)
  • Complimentary WiFi
  • Business Center
  • PCs with Internet access
  • Self-service hot and cold food, variety of alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages
  • Children's Room
  • Flat screen televisions
  • Two shower suites with amenities
  • Telephones
Link to photos by Mestre das Milhas (Brasil).
Link to article with extensive photos

LATAM VIP lounge
Access: Eligible passengers departing on British Airways or Iberia flights
Hours: For current hours and further information, please see here.
Amenities:
"Notes: LATAM Airlines Group's first joint VIP lounge, offering abundant natural light and an unparalleled view of the airport. In addition to an entertainment room with individual tablets, video games and wi-fi connection throughout, the lounge is separated into various sections, each with its own ambiance. All seating is equipped with power sockets and USB ports, thus enabling customers to remain connected at all times. For those who prefer to relax, the lounge offers exclusive shower rooms and bathing products with scents of tropical Brazilian fruits. The buffet of hot and cold dishes is nearly 30 meters long and offers a wide selection of culinary options. Customers can also choose from a wide variety of premium beverages or relax with a draft beer at the bar."

Executive Lounge GRU Airport Operated by a third party.
Access: Eligible passengers departing on Qatar Airways flights
Opening hours: Daily: 07:00-02:30
Amenities:
  • Free Wifi
  • Food and Beverages
  • Showers
  • Wheelchair access
  • Television

Older and obsolete posts regarding the old GRU AA lounge facility have been archived; they can be read at: ARCHIVE: GRU / Sao Paulo Admirals Club (consolidated)

Special Information: U.S. Citizens: You must obtain your Brazilian visa in advance from the Brazilian Embassy or consulate nearest to your place of residence in the United States. Visas cannot be obtained at the airport, and immigration authorities will refuse entry into Brazil to anyone not possessing a valid visa. (This is waived for a time period about the Olympic Games.)

For visas, you may use a visa service in the city with the Brazilian Consulate serving your geographical area. To submit documents and interview for a visa, you can only use the Brazilian Consulate with jurisdiction serving the area where you live. Each Consulate may have different requirements and time frames for securing your visa; check the requirements of the Consulate having jurisdiction over where you live. You will not be allowed to apply at any other Consulate than the one with jurisdiction.

List of Brazilian Consulates in the U.S.A. with links to their sites. Note, some may not work.
Print Wikipost

Guide: GRU / Sao Paulo Admirals Club & oneworld Airline Lounges

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2016, 10:24 pm
HMO

It seems my mistake was not writing continental Europe...
Old May 25, 2016, 8:49 am

Programs: AA EXP, Starwood Platinum
I was waiting for AA906 on Monday 5/16, as I walked out from the food area towards the front I saw this guy sitting in a chair. I went over and said hello, then the entire AC came over to take pictures with him. So sweet and friendly. Then later he was sitting 2 rows behind me watching everyone board. I know some people don't like dogs on the plane, but he was so well behaved you never would have known he was there.
Attached Images   
Old Jun 5, 2016, 7:02 am

Programs: AA; GOL Smiles; COPA ConnectMiles; Marriot Bonvoy Titanium; Amtrak Guest Rewards Elite
Posting this here regarding international connections and lounge access, as someone may find it helpful.

I arrived into GRU on an IB flight from Europe and had a departure flight from GRU to MIA later in the evening. While I could've used the day to explore Sao Paulo, I optioned against it, and tried my luck at getting into the lounge without a boarding pass AND with a checked bag. Here is what happened:

I disembarked from my IB flight, went thru immigration, and picked up my bag. This was around 7:00h in the morning. From there, I went upstairs in Terminal 3 to AA's checkin, which was open because of a 10:00h flight departing for MIA that day. I went to Business Class check-in and explained that I just arried on an IB flight and wanted to access the lounge until my AA flight later that day (21:30h). After calling the supervisor, the agent printed my boarding pass and tagged my luggage. She said that normally, I wouldn't be allowed to pass thru security and immigration so early, but that they would give it a try. I dropped my luggage off at the Oversize bag drop-off, so they could store my luggage until my flight. Everything good, right? Not exactly...

I went to enter the departure area and my boarding pass wouldn't work. It was too early for my pass to be valid so it wouldn't let me thru automatically. The security attendant looked at my pass and talked to someone, and I explained that I just wanted access to the lounge. After about 5 minutes, they let me pass thru to security. The final pass was immigration, which was fine, and I was welcomed into the lounge with no problem (as I type this from a lounge computer).

So, to my surprise, it is possible to do this when travelling on two different carriers. The big factors in my opinion were that the AA check-in desk was open, and that I had status.
Old Jun 5, 2016, 7:26 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM
Originally Posted by quant_93
I was waiting for AA906 on Monday 5/16, as I walked out from the food area towards the front I saw this guy sitting in a chair. I went over and said hello, then the entire AC came over to take pictures with him. So sweet and friendly. Then later he was sitting 2 rows behind me watching everyone board. I know some people don't like dogs on the plane, but he was so well behaved you never would have known he was there.
And he dressed up for the lounge & flight!
Old Jun 5, 2016, 8:20 am

Programs: AA EXP (2 MM)
Thumbs down I disagree...

Originally Posted by quant_93
Here's the thing: I love dogs; I had dogs all through my childhood and teens. The stereotype that dogs are man's best friend is mostly true -- every dog I had was certainly one of my best friends and I wept when each one of them passed. That said, they're not clean and only a moron would refute that. They walk, sit, and lay on the ground all day. They poop and the only "cleaning" they get is their own tongue lick (barring the weekly bath or whatever). I wouldn't want to be the next guy on that seat, laying my face where that anus was just hours ago. It's not hygienic, it's dangerous, and it's unpleasant. That's not to say that dogs are disgusting -- they absolutely aren't as they're only acting exactly the way they're supposed to act. But they're not clean.

Granted, there are human beings that are as dirty or even dirtier than some dogs. Plus, they have the added distinction of being disgusting, because -- unlike dogs -- they're not supposed to be that way. But one thing doesn't negate the other. Both are true.
Old Jun 8, 2016, 7:45 am

Programs: BA Executive Club (Silver), Le Club Accor (Silver)
My experience: I flew SCL-GRU on JJ with an AA-issued Y award ticket. I was connecting onto the AA flight GRU-JFK four hours later in J on a separate ticket, but had not checked in online for this flight. Upon arrival, I headed for flight connections at T3 and went through security without being asked for a boarding pass. After going up the stairs, I looked for a flight connections customer service desk but couldn't find one (open) anywhere in the terminal. There were a couple of unmanned desks at the top of the first escalator from transfer security, but they looked like they had never been used. Now of course I could go to the AAdmirals Club and check-in there (which was handled very efficiently) but would would someone travelling in Y with no status do?

For the record, I really liked the GRU AAdmirals Club. Decent food and beverage offering and a nice room with dimmed lighting, comfy chairs and TVs to have a snooze in.

P.S. I was travelling hand luggage only

Last edited by kingstontoon; Jun 8, 2016 at 7:46 am Reason: bags
Old Jun 8, 2016, 10:09 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinium
Originally Posted by TeamCarryOn
Posting this here regarding international connections and lounge access, as someone may find it helpful.

I arrived into GRU on an IB flight from Europe and had a departure flight from GRU to MIA later in the evening. While I could've used the day to explore Sao Paulo, I optioned against it, and tried my luck at getting into the lounge without a boarding pass AND with a checked bag. Here is what happened:

I disembarked from my IB flight, went thru immigration, and picked up my bag. This was around 7:00h in the morning. From there, I went upstairs in Terminal 3 to AA's checkin, which was open because of a 10:00h flight departing for MIA that day. I went to Business Class check-in and explained that I just arried on an IB flight and wanted to access the lounge until my AA flight later that day (21:30h). After calling the supervisor, the agent printed my boarding pass and tagged my luggage. She said that normally, I wouldn't be allowed to pass thru security and immigration so early, but that they would give it a try. I dropped my luggage off at the Oversize bag drop-off, so they could store my luggage until my flight. Everything good, right? Not exactly...

I went to enter the departure area and my boarding pass wouldn't work. It was too early for my pass to be valid so it wouldn't let me thru automatically. The security attendant looked at my pass and talked to someone, and I explained that I just wanted access to the lounge. After about 5 minutes, they let me pass thru to security. The final pass was immigration, which was fine, and I was welcomed into the lounge with no problem (as I type this from a lounge computer).

So, to my surprise, it is possible to do this when travelling on two different carriers. The big factors in my opinion were that the AA check-in desk was open, and that I had status.
Did you ask IB if they could give you your AA BP? since it was a OW carrier, IB could do the luggage too all the way to MIA, even on separate PNR, but sometimes it won't work for long layovers.

Originally Posted by kingstontoon
My experience: I flew SCL-GRU on JJ with an AA-issued Y award ticket. I was connecting onto the AA flight GRU-JFK four hours later in J on a separate ticket, but had not checked in online for this flight. Upon arrival, I headed for flight connections at T3 and went through security without being asked for a boarding pass. After going up the stairs, I looked for a flight connections customer service desk but couldn't find one (open) anywhere in the terminal. There were a couple of unmanned desks at the top of the first escalator from transfer security, but they looked like they had never been used. Now of course I could go to the AAdmirals Club and check-in there (which was handled very efficiently) but would would someone travelling in Y with no status do?
You don't need a BP for transit in GRU, you can always get your BP at the gate or at the AC, if you don't have status, you will get the BP but not the access to the Club.
Old Jun 8, 2016, 10:10 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by kingstontoon
For the record, I really liked the GRU AAdmirals Club. Decent food and beverage offering and a nice room with dimmed lighting, comfy chairs and TVs to have a snooze in.
Yeah, went well with the bucket of standing water and mosquitos on my last visit.

Also, I was cool with dogs until a GRU manager took away my window seat in F since "a pax who is travelling with a dog would be more comfortable in the window seat."
Old Jun 8, 2016, 10:35 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
Originally Posted by TeamCarryOn

Twelve hours of hanging around the airport and lounge versus exploring Sao Paulo ? T3 is quite nice, but between noon and around 4/5, its a ghost town !
Old Jun 10, 2016, 5:30 am

Programs: AA; GOL Smiles; COPA ConnectMiles; Marriot Bonvoy Titanium; Amtrak Guest Rewards Elite
Originally Posted by george 3
Twelve hours of hanging around the airport and lounge versus exploring Sao Paulo ? T3 is quite nice, but between noon and around 4/5, its a ghost town !
Yeah, there were times when I had the lounge all to my self. I suppose I could've went next door to LATAM if I wanted more of a social aspect. All in all, it was a good 10-12 hours.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 2:30 am

Programs: Mucci (Scirocco Sash), BAEC Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador
A slightly OT query but there is very good knowledge on the general lounge situation at GRU terminals in this thread!

I'm travelling to Brazil next February, around Carnival. We arrive on BA from London at 6am, and need to connect to Rio for which I will buy a separate ticket. I am BA Gold/OW Emerald (and can prob get a *A Gold status match through TK if needed).

The hassle of transferring to CGH doesn't really seem worth it, particularly given what traffic is like in São Paulo (and we will have just come off an 11 hour flight so patience will be low!). So sticking with GRU, we need to build in a margin to allow for arrival delays, clearing customs and collecting luggage etc so I am ruling out the bank of flights between ca. 8am-9am as being a bit too close for comfort. So that leaves:
- Gol: 10:15 (to SDU)
- Avianca Brasil: 12:05 (to GIG)
- LATAM: 14:05 (to GIG)

As domestics these all leave from T2 I understand. If we went with LATAM would we be able to check in at T2 and then transit airside to T3 to use the LATAM lounge and then get back to T2? If we went with Avianca or Gol would any lounge otherwise be accessible in T2 (paid or via status, assuming I had any)?

Thanks in advance for any insights!
Old Aug 30, 2016, 9:34 pm

Programs: *A Gold, OW Sapphire, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by daftboy
A slightly OT query but there is very good knowledge on the general lounge situation at GRU terminals in this thread!

I'm travelling to Brazil next February, around Carnival. We arrive on BA from London at 6am, and need to connect to Rio for which I will buy a separate ticket. I am BA Gold/OW Emerald (and can prob get a *A Gold status match through TK if needed).

The hassle of transferring to CGH doesn't really seem worth it, particularly given what traffic is like in São Paulo (and we will have just come off an 11 hour flight so patience will be low!). So sticking with GRU, we need to build in a margin to allow for arrival delays, clearing customs and collecting luggage etc so I am ruling out the bank of flights between ca. 8am-9am as being a bit too close for comfort. So that leaves:
- Gol: 10:15 (to SDU)
- Avianca Brasil: 12:05 (to GIG)
- LATAM: 14:05 (to GIG)

As domestics these all leave from T2 I understand. If we went with LATAM would we be able to check in at T2 and then transit airside to T3 to use the LATAM lounge and then get back to T2? If we went with Avianca or Gol would any lounge otherwise be accessible in T2 (paid or via status, assuming I had any)?

Thanks in advance for any insights!
Main point is that you are arriving from an international route and are required to clear immigration and customs in Sao Paulo, GRU. Your next flight to Rio is not part of your international itinerary, thus it is a domestic flight, which you must fly as a domestic passenger, thus you all need to be cleared at GRU, where you pick all your luggage and are not entitled to any international lounge, upon arrival.

Furthermore, once cleared immigration and customs, and flying a domestic itinerary you are usually given 20 kls/baggage per passenger.

T2 & T3 are within walking distance, a non-issue. It has been a while but I do not recall at GRU any lounge for domestic flights, other than a rather poor Amex lounge in T1; Lots of lounges to choose from, in the international side though.

Given the options you point out I would definitely choose a flight towards SDU as you are already inside Rio and get the chance of a magnificent view when approaching for landing, instead of GIG which sits in Ilha do Governador, highly inconvenient if you ask me from many perspectives.

Cheers

Last edited by pb9997; Aug 31, 2016 at 11:39 am
Old Aug 31, 2016, 10:08 am
HMO

Originally Posted by pb9997
Given the options you point out I would definitely choose a flight towards SDU as you already inside Rio and get the chance of a magnificent view when approaching for landing, instead of GIG which sits in Ilha do Governador, highly inconvenient if you ask me from many perspectives.

Cheers
Agreed! ^
Old Aug 31, 2016, 12:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by pb9997
Given the options you point out I would definitely choose a flight towards SDU as you are already inside Rio and get the chance of a magnificent view when approaching for landing, instead of GIG which sits in Ilha do Governador, highly inconvenient if you ask me from many perspectives.
The thing is there aren't many flights from GRU to SDU. Most are GRU-GIG or CGH-SDU.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 12:34 pm

Programs: *A Gold, OW Sapphire, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by fredshino
The thing is there aren't many flights from GRU to SDU. Most are GRU-GIG or CGH-SDU.
Among the three given options offered, the earliest and most convenient was towards SDU. Thus, I informed that SDU would be indeed the very best for the passengers, if my arguments seem reasonable.

Agreed most GRU outbound Rio flights are towards GIG. Usually Rio SDU flights depart from CGH.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.