FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Applause Outstanding Service Excellence Employee Recognition Certs / Chits (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/615243-applause-outstanding-service-excellence-employee-recognition-certs-chits.html)

cynicAAl Jan 26, 2013 5:49 pm

Applause Outstanding Service Excellence Employee Recognition Certs / Chits

just got a new stock of AApplause certs today with my new card and was adding them to the existing stack of certs when I noticed that half of the certs had expiration dates (2010 and 2011), the others, and the ones I got today have no expiration date. I hope the ones I gave out last month were not expired....

bubba198 Jan 26, 2013 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by clockhand (Post 19664047)
..... I have 8 or so certificate that I can give to AA employees when they go above and beyond.

Does anybody know what exactly they get?

Other people have answered this regarding tangible benefit. And frankly based on this, I at times feel sheepish about rewarding great service with such a small tangible reward. But I give them out frequently. My standard is simply friendliness and responsiveness to requests. Every AAplause I have given out has been accepted graciously, typically with sincere thanks when given and again when leaving the plane.

I think it is just the little effort to thank somebody in a work day filled with the same old same old. It is very human to get a psychological boost from this.

Barton Cove Jan 26, 2013 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by bubba198 (Post 20130683)
Other people have answered this regarding tangible benefit. And frankly based on this, I at times feel sheepish about rewarding great service with such a small tangible reward. But I give them out frequently. My standard is simply friendliness and responsiveness to requests. Every AAplause I have given out has been accepted graciously, typically with sincere thanks when given and again when leaving the plane.

I think it is just the little effort to thank somebody in a work day filled with the same old same old. It is very human to get a psychological boost from this.

I feel the same. And I will admit I some times use them to get better service - if I'm flying very early with a crew that seems to be phoning it in, at the first point of contact, I will shift it into a positive gear: "You guys are the best crew I've had in a while! I can tell this is going to be a great flight!" Then, as soon after as I can, I give an Applause or two, saying "I just want to make sure I give you this now, because some times I forget on the way out." The result has always been better service for the entire cabin.

I have worked in many public facing jobs, and sometimes the day ahead looks very bleak. It only takes one person, who recognizes that even a normal day takes a lot of effort, to turn the whole experience around. Sometimes when I read threads like this I feel like the outlier who wants people who are doing their jobs competently to feel like someone appreciates them, as opposed to not deigning to acknowledge them because the reward is so slight as to insult them.

skylady Jan 27, 2013 1:23 pm

The good ones are going to give you good service whether you give out an applause certificate or not:D

jaynyc Jan 28, 2013 8:16 am

Originally Posted by skylady (Post 20134336)
The good ones are going to give you good service whether you give out an applause certificate or not:D

I absolutely agree. And while the Applause certificates are of little value, even those who will do a great job regardless, they appreciate when someone acknowledges their efforts. I found in my job the recognition is a motivating force and provides encouragement to continue doing a great job helping others.

CMK10 Mar 3, 2013 7:20 pm

I like handing mine out though I rarely do so. I think I gave out two last year, but when I do give them out the f/as seem really appreciative. Maybe they don't "get anything" for it, but they're usually all smiles and appreciative. I always do it at the end of the flight AFTER all the good service though.

jaynyc Mar 4, 2013 6:02 am

Originally Posted by CMK10 (Post 20354237)
I like handing mine out though I rarely do so. I think I gave out two last year, but when I do give them out the f/as seem really appreciative. Maybe they don't "get anything" for it, but they're usually all smiles and appreciative. I always do it at the end of the flight AFTER all the good service though.

Ditto. ^

skylady Mar 4, 2013 6:18 am

A personal letter carries much more weight with the supervisor, than a pre printied coupon!:)

CMK10 Mar 5, 2013 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by skylady (Post 20356126)
A personal letter carries much more weight with the supervisor, than a pre printied coupon!:)

Oh I write those too, can't hurt to do both, right?

aafreq Mar 21, 2013 2:55 pm

I have been with AA since 1985 and remember 'seeing' some paper certificates a long way back....most recently I finally have good reason to Applaud a AA employee !
Yet I do not 'see' a modern i.e. web address, that I can utilize to provide proper recognition for a job well done !
Anyone help out here ?

yyzAAguy Mar 21, 2013 3:06 pm

How to compliment employee online

Originally Posted by aafreq (Post 20459645)
...recently I finally have good reason to Applaud a AA employee ... I do not 'see' a modern i.e. web address, that I can utilize to provide proper recognition for a job well done !...

aa.com >> Contact American (bottom, under "Customer Service")
[new window opens]>> Customer Relations

yyzAAguy Mar 21, 2013 3:11 pm

AApplause coupons mean a lot

Originally Posted by skylady (Post 20356126)

Not sure I agree. I've handed 4 out in the last few months. Employees appreciate them because they're tracked. If they have a direct monetary value, or a "virtual" value (count as specific points in an internal scheme) I don't know. But when I hand them over, I see genuine surprise and gratitude.

Soon, I'm taking my elderly mother on her first high-class trip. Flying in J on the new plane overseas, it'll be a special trip, maybe her last. I'll hand out AApplause coupons when I board.

jetsarefast2 Mar 21, 2013 4:25 pm

AApplause certificates do not need to be mailed. :)
You can:
• Give one away in person before or after the flight to a helpful AA employee.
• Read the certificate number, which can be found on the back of each certificate, over the phone.

Personally, I love giving them away at every opportunity and request more from customer service when the supply has run dry (usually takes a month or so, and it's free).

sinanju Mar 21, 2013 5:30 pm

My tradition has been to give the entire stack to the first AA employee who is pleasant and helpful after I receive it. Over the years this has taken longer and longer to happen. In fact, I recently found last year's stack when removing papers from my brief case. Of course, AA's downgrading/eliminating international service from BOS means I've flown AA metal less and less and what I have flown has been unpleasant, so perhaps that's it.

I threw this year's lot directly into the recycle bin. If somebody does something exceptional, I'll write a letter. It would be nice to write a letter to AA with something nice to say, for a change.

JDiver Mar 21, 2013 8:56 pm

As skylady is an AA Flight Attendant, I suspect she knows the value better than we do. ;)

At one time the SOS certificates (predate the current "Applause" chits) did have value, and significant value at that. A coupon can be enhanced by some words on it indicating why, etc. but they merely enter one into a sweepstakes and presumably impact the employee's file - but I think an effort to use the webform or paper and write a compliment may have even more value. The Applause chit is better than nothing - but if you take time to provide verbal positive feedback, you will probably get the same appreciative looks and surprise, because it seems many of us either don't know how to do that, or we are in such a hurry we fail to.

I also suggest handing out Applause coupons when you board debases the purpose of the coupon - it is to acknowledge good service, not a bribe, which it might appear to be to some (much like a good tip to a good server vs. a fifty to the maitre d'hotel). You can always speak to an FA or pass her / him a note saying something about your mum's situation - that is usually a good incentive and will probably result in your mum getting some extra attention.

Originally Posted by yyzgayguy (Post 20459728)
Not sure I agree. I've handed 4 out in the last few months. Employees appreciate them because they're tracked. If they have a direct monetary value, or a "virtual" value (count as specific points in an internal scheme) I don't know. But when I hand them over, I see genuine surprise and gratitude.

Soon, I'm taking my elderly mother on her first high-class trip. Flying in J on the new plane overseas, it'll be a special trip, maybe her last. I'll hand out AApplause coupons when I board.