Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Applause Outstanding Service Excellence Employee Recognition Certs / Chits

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 18, 2015, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
FAQ: "In Recognition of Outstanding Service Excellence" Employee Recognition & Certificates AKA "Above and Beyond" Certificates, Previously "Round of Applause" program)
(including how to meaningfully compliment employees using Twitter)
N.B. This “Applause” program has been the "Round of Applause" program and later the "Above and Beyond" program, based on US Airways' original "Above and Beyond" program, with changes to what employees can win in now quarterly draws.

Q. I received some certificates titled "In Recognition of Outstanding Service Excellence"; what are they and how do they work?

A. These certificates, also called “Applause” "Above and Beyond" and "Round of Applause"), are mailed to elite AAdvantage members with their status credentials. The number of certificates is based upon their specific Elite status as follows:
  • Executive Platinum - 10 certificates
  • Platinum Pro - unknown
  • Platinum - 8 certificates
  • Gold - 6 certificates

Requests for More Certificates: "Unfortunately, requests for additional or replacement certificates cannot be honored." (However, some members claim they've called and been issued more.)

The certificates are numbered with a 12 digit code and intended to be given out to employees who who "go beyond the call of duty to truly make a difference when customers fly" as a form of passenger-generated employee recognition to those They can be handed to or otherwise given (ask other employees how they'd like these - you could mail or email and include the 12 digit certificate code) to "all active American (and U.S.) and American Eagle employees worldwide up to and including Management Level 4 are eligible to participate in the employee recognition program."

Original certificates did not have an expiration date.
Q. How do employee recognition certificates benefit employees?

A. The certificates are not entered into employee's files at this time (as reported by employees) unlike letters and other communications regarding employee recognition. The certificates are entered (using Jetnet, employee identification and the 12 digit code) into quarterly drawings:

"AA has adopted the US Air(ways) program so the drawings, which used to be monthly, are now quarterly. The drawings used to be for 25k miles but now it is various monetary sums...."
  • 10 employees $10,000 each
  • 100 employees $1,000 each
  • 250 employees $250 each

Verified and originally posted by sukn and NovaEngr.
Q. How do I use an employee recognition certificate?

A. You may personally hand a certificate to any AA (including wholly owned subsidiaries) employee; they're pre-printed with your name and FFN, you can add brief feedback, and the employee will add their information as necessary.

You may also "award" a certificate by phone - the employee will need the 12 digit code from the certificate you have. (Certificates are designed for single use, so it's a good idea to dispose of used certificates awarded this way, or if you wish to retain it you may want to annotate it as used.)

You may still write a letter or use the "Contact AA" e-mail form to pass on your commendation to AA, as the certificates neither go to supervisor / management nor to be appended to the employee's record.) And read on about using Twitter to register your compliments.
Q. what else can I do to reward an exceptional employee?

A. You can use Twitter - @AmericanAir - to tweet your compliments. The AA Social Media Twitter team will log your comments, which are forwarded to the employee's supervisor and added to their employee file.
Q. Which employees benefit from "Applause" certificates?

All AA employees below the director level from our mainline and wholly owned carriers (Envoy, Piedmont and PSA) are eligible for the program. Employees of non-owned carriers or AA contractors (e.g. Club bartenders and cleaning staff, employees of Compass et al, etc.) do not qualify for the benefits offered by Applause chits.
Q. Wasn't the original "Round of Applause" certificate for miles drawings?

A. The certificates originally could be entered by employees by using the 12 digit code on Jetnet in monthly random drawings for chances to win 25,000 AAdvantage miles.

"One-hundred winners will be chosen monthly and announced on Jetnet on the 15th of each month following the drawing. The first drawing will be on December 1st and on the first of each month thereafter with the final drawing on May 1, 2007." N.B. Employees were required to pay taxes on these "winnings" just as we are taxed on non-"earned" miles won in contests.
Q. What did the "Round of Applause" certificates replace?

A. The program superseded the "You're SomeOne Special" ("SOS") program as of 2006. Three SOS certificates could be used for one round trip positive space; certificates could be used for merchandise discounts or gift certificates. They were very popular.
Links to related resources:

Employee reactions: Question for AA Crew: Your preference on Applause Certs

The archive can be searched for posts by AAFA, jrhone, skylady and sluggoaafa; they are also linked to in the OP.

Other ways of providing employee feedback / recognition:

Originally Posted by AA.com
Compliment/Complaint/Comment

Contact Information (including)
  • Praise/Compliments
  • Concerns/Complaints
  • Suggestions/Comm

"We want to be sure we hear from you. Please verify that you are on the correct country version of aa.com, by checking the country flag displayed at the top of the page. Then submit your comments or inquiries using the link below: "

Email AA Customer Relations (pops up AA e-form)

Other relevant Contact Information

Mail/Overnight mail
American Airlines Customer Relations
4000 E. Sky Harbor Blvd.
Phoenix, AZ 85034

Phone: 817-786-3778
Fax: 480-693-2300
These are merged, archival threads with information about the SOS program, its benefits, discontinuation and how some attempted to appeal to AA or create their own responses:

The LUS thread: Above and Beyond Certificates (now AA & US - see Combined forum) posts have been merged into this thread (17 October 2017).

Link to ARCHIVE: "Rounds of Applause" Employee Recognition and Certificates

You're Someone Special - SOS program employee recognition [merged]

You're SomeOne Special Program (SOS) - Discontinued [merged]

and Appeal to AA (and attempts) to bring back the SOS / SomeOne Special program [merged]
Much of the original information about this program was posted by members HNL and JonNYC. Recent updates thanks to sukn and NovaEngr.

Updated 16 Aug 2015 - JDiver
Print Wikipost

Applause Outstanding Service Excellence Employee Recognition Certs / Chits

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2014, 7:23 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
Originally Posted by Wollstonecraft
I have never had anyone react so profusely, but people definitely seem to be happy to get them. I often give them to the EXP agents that I talk to on the phone, because they have worked miracles for me on several occasions. I think people do not normally give them to phone agents, as I asked one directly about it and she said she had never gotten one (all you have to do is read the numbers to them, following the instructions on the back.)

Maybe I should be more generous giving them to FAs - I have only had a few who warranted them, IMO.
(Sound of hand hitting head!)

That is such a great idea. Thank you. I have 3 agents in mind. Plus 2 AC AAngels.
Old Apr 6, 2014, 7:41 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton
Originally Posted by sukn
AA has adopted the US Air program so the drawings, which used to monthly, are now quarterly. The drawings used to be for 25k miles but now it is various monetary sums, with the top prize being $10,000 (I believe).
10 employees $10,000 each
100 employees $1,000 each
250 employees $250 each
Old Apr 6, 2014, 7:47 pm

If it's a flight attendant who is still on probation, it gets them a call from the VP of Flight Service and also a mention in their class newsletter. That's pretty meaningful for most.

The managers of the four South American bases also make known to the whole base who has received them. Since the bases are small enough for everyone to know everyone else, the personal shout out is also pretty meaningful.
Old Apr 6, 2014, 8:58 pm

There's some very good (new) information in this thread, but I haven't seen an answer to the first part of OP's question. I've been wondering as well-- most years I have some certificates left over. Can they still be redeemed the following year, or do they expire? If they do expire, I need to be more careful to replace the standing supply in my carry-on.
Old Apr 6, 2014, 9:43 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton
Originally Posted by _kurt
There's some very good (new) information in this thread, but I haven't seen an answer to the first part of OP's question. I've been wondering as well-- most years I have some certificates left over. Can they still be redeemed the following year, or do they expire? If they do expire, I need to be more careful to replace the standing supply in my carry-on.
They did not expire before it was merged with the USAir program. Since we can still hand them out, I would assume the "old" certs from prior years are still valid.
Old Apr 6, 2014, 10:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by sukn
They did not expire before it was merged with the USAir program. Since we can still hand them out, I would assume the "old" certs from prior years are still valid.
They are.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 11:54 am

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by Dallas49er
Did a search:
1. Visually on the certificates (None to be seen).
2. On FT-searching AAplause, AAplause certificates, ... (None to be seen)
3. EXP line (after 5 minutes of hunting and pecking, "...not sure".)
This is the thread you were looking for:

<removed circular link post merge>

Last edited by Microwave; Apr 9, 2014 at 9:54 am
Old Apr 7, 2014, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
I gave one out on my last trip to an amazing Purser and he told me (with much gratitude) that he had a pretty good chance of winning at least $250 in the drawing. BIG change since the previous era of 25k RDMs.

So, at least one aspect of the AA/US merger has improved things for AA employees! ^
Old Apr 7, 2014, 3:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM/AC; UA Silver; AS; DL; Marriott LTT; National Car Elite
I still had some left over from last year, but some years I run short on them. If we're running low, is there a way to request more certs?
Old Apr 7, 2014, 6:19 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hilton Diamond
In the past, I have called AA Customer Service and they mailed me some additional certs.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 10:12 am

Programs: AA-EXP, Marriott-Platinum Elite, National-Exec Elite
I'm not aware of any expiration on the AAplause certificate.

I did have a USAir counter supervisor in CLT help me on a ticket bought on AA but flying US metal to my connection then AA home. I missed the original flight and he ended up getting me on a US flight direct (although it took what seemed like forever). Anyway, I offered him a couple AA certificates and asked if he could use them in anyway. He'd never seen them before but said US has a similiar program with cash awards (described exactly as above). I left them anyway and told him that at least for now, they have value down the hall at the AA counter if he ever needed a favor or something.

Good to know they've combined the programs. Now if they can only figure out how to combine the upgrade lists.........
Old Apr 8, 2014, 11:35 am

Programs: AA Plat,AS MVP Gold, Hilton Gold, Accor Plat, Amtrak(all routes, VIA same, AUS 90%)
Thanks, no...

Originally Posted by JonNYC
A good FA will thank profusely.

A bad FA will turn up their nose at the offer (as we've seen many reports of over time since the demise of the S.O.S. program where the certs had actual value to the FA.)

As far as what they are worth materially to the individual FA now-- very, very, very little.

So definitely a "it's the thought that counts" issue.
Had that happen to me: FC FA that was particularly nice declined the cert-gave it to another in front cabin. Maybe that other FA was "on notice" and needed it more. Anyhow, as reported elsewhere, I am on #96 in my "Congratulation for Preparing the French 75(champagne, cognac) Please continue your excellent service." This brings about a laugh and a smile and who knows..?"
Old Apr 9, 2014, 9:51 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I've yet to meet an employee who didn't visibly appreciate them. I also have a f/a friend who works for AS and he posts a picture of them every time he gets their version on Facebook. People like to know when they're doing things right.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 9:56 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by Dallas49er
Did a search:
1. Visually on the certificates (None to be seen).
2. On FT-searching AAplause, AAplause certificates, ... (None to be seen)
3. EXP line (after 5 minutes of hunting and pecking, "...not sure".)

4. So I now put it out to the forum. Do American Airlines AAplause/Employee recognition certificates have any expiration? On 4/6/2014, do they represent ANY value TO THE EMPLOYEE beyond the drawing for 25k miles? If that?

Background: Rainy day in Plano. Cleaning out files, since football season is over, and base ball doesn't start until noon. I found a bunch of mis-filed AAplause certificates (44), with both of our names, in a folder.

Thanks in advance.
I will go ahead and merge this into the extant thread on the topic of AApplause certificates.

~Moderator
Old Apr 21, 2014, 9:12 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, HHonors Gold, Hertz Five Star
I'm guessing that the AA certificates don't work for USAir employees yet?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.