FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   AA policy: One can inherit / transfer miles due to death or divorce (master thread) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/580670-aa-policy-one-can-inherit-transfer-miles-due-death-divorce-master-thread.html)

dave_SEA Sep 6, 2012 2:50 pm

AA policy: One can inherit / transfer miles due to death or divorce (master thread)

Moderators- I couldn't really figure out the best place to post, so please move it if more appropriate

I’m serving as the executor of an estate, and was pleased to learn that AA miles may be transferred to a surviving spouse.

My scenario involves miles earned on a Citi AA card that hasn’t posted yet. For example, if the card has 5K in spending, and then is closed due to death, would those 5K ever post to the owners AA account? Of course, the balance would need to be paid at some point, but am wondering if those miles will ever post. This may factor in on the timing when I notify Citi of the owners death…perhaps it is wisest to wait until the day after statement closing before informing?

Has anyone been in a similar scenario?

pauleeepaul Sep 6, 2012 3:58 pm

I won't address the obvious questions inherent in the OP but the posting of miles from Citi is resilient and virtually assured (as is the bill.)

JDiver Sep 6, 2012 4:07 pm

1 Attachment(s)
You may have the best solution already. You have a certain amount of time to wrap up the affairs of the estate, and it may be wise to let the Citi miles take in the AAdvantage account before settling the account. IMO, anyway, as I am not an attorney... so be sure to check with your legal adviser for any guidance you might prefer from a properly trained person.

Originally Posted by dave_SEA (Post 19266914)
Moderators- I couldn't really figure out the best place to post, so please move it if more appropriate

I’m serving as the executor of an estate, and was pleased to learn that AA miles may be transferred to a surviving spouse.

My scenario involves miles earned on a Citi AA card that hasn’t posted yet. For example, if the card has 5K in spending, and then is closed due to death, would those 5K ever post to the owners AA account? Of course, the balance would need to be paid at some point, but am wondering if those miles will ever post. This may factor in on the timing when I notify Citi of the owners death…perhaps it is wisest to wait until the day after statement closing before informing?

Has anyone been in a similar scenario?

galway1ca Sep 30, 2015 11:54 am

Unexpected death and possible expired miles

Can you pay a fee (with a death certificate) to AA to have a family member's miles re-instated? The miles may have expired. Thanks.

JDiver Sep 30, 2015 12:20 pm

Updated and curated (older posts archived, wiki created) for move to "Combined" forum 30 September 2015.

JDiver, Senior Moderator

JDiver Sep 30, 2015 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by [email protected] (Post 25499398)
Can you pay a fee (with a death certificate) to AA to have a family member's miles re-instated? The miles may have expired. Thanks.

Probably not, unless the specifications mentioned in the wiki above are met to allow transfer of those miles to an heir as designated in a will or other legal device. But, read up thread.

That's probably; you may wish to call AAdvantage Customer Service (see wiki).

Dunster Nov 20, 2015 11:29 am

Use of Late Spouse's Miles Without a Credit Card?

My spouse died a year ago, and I would like to use his miles for travel. I've posted some miles through AAdvantage Dining to keep the account current.

I can get into his account, selected flights, and tried to pay the fee ($11.20) with my credit card, but was told the card had to match the account owner's name. The trip is on American/American Eagle, and inside the United States.

What are my options? I would rather not lose his 160,000 miles because there isn't a credit card in his name. I was hoping to use them. I do have our checks with both our names on it, so I suppose I could go to our airport and purchase the ticket that way. Is there any other way to use the miles, or are they lost?

SeeBuyFly Nov 20, 2015 11:53 am

There is not actually any rule that the CC must match the AAdvantage account---I have used my credit card in combination with my spouse's miles (over the phone, not online). However, what you are trying to do is fraud (using miles without the account holder's approval), and that is a different matter altogether.

I don't recall if AA allows you to inherit the miles---others will know this. They might allow it even when it's not in the rules, if you ask nicely and don't try to trick them.

AAMillionaire Nov 20, 2015 11:54 am

I haven't used PayPal in ages so I don't know if this would work.

Can you set up a PayPal account in his name but linked to your credit card or bank account? Or, can you set up a PayPal account with both your names?

TrojanHorse Nov 20, 2015 11:57 am

there must be a workaround

what about kids who have accounts but aren't old enough for a CC

JDiver Nov 20, 2015 11:59 am

I'm sorry for your loss; losing a spouse is very difficult. And welcome to FlyerTalk!

IMO, there could be other repercussions from using his account for your award travel; I suspect there might be a much "cleaner" way to do this:

If your spouse had a will or testamentary document with you as beneficiary, you can have his miles transferred to your account.

See: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html

FWAAA Nov 20, 2015 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by Dunster (Post 25746469)
What are my options? I would rather not lose his 160,000 miles because there isn't a credit card in his name. I was hoping to use them. I do have our checks with both our names on it, so I suppose I could go to our airport and purchase the ticket that way. Is there any other way to use the miles, or are they lost?

Sorry to hear about your husband and welcome to Flyertalk.

Call AAdvantage and explain that your spouse died and you'd like them to send you the affidavit that will allow you to transfer his miles to you. They'll email it to you and you return it with $50 processing fee and they'll transfer his miles to your account. DO IT NOW before his miles expire (18 mo after last activity).

TrojanHorse Nov 20, 2015 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by FWAAA (Post 25746654)
Sorry to hear about your husband and welcome to Flyertalk.

Call AAdvantage and explain that your spouse died and you'd like them to send you the affidavit that will allow you to transfer his miles to you. They'll email it to you and you return it with $50 processing fee and they'll transfer his miles to your account. DO IT NOW before his miles expire (18 mo after last activity).

OP says she has been using Advantage dining to keep miles going into the account to keep it alive so that should help? Will the AA Advantage cops look at that in a negative way that she knew he was passed on but still continued to put miles into the account?

SeeBuyFly Nov 20, 2015 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse (Post 25746680)
OP says she has been using Advantage dining to keep miles going into the account to keep it alive so that should help? Will the AA Advantage cops look at that in a negative way that she knew he was passed on but still continued to put miles into the account?

Good point. They could consider that a violation as well, although it is a small thing compared to cashing in the miles for a ticket.

JDiver Nov 20, 2015 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse (Post 25746680)

I don't think I'd mention that to AA, but there are ways that can be done legitimately - shared credit card accounts with the same number registered with iDine / Rewards Network AAdvantage Dining, for one.

I'd merely write AA Customer Service as indicated in the thread linked to above, fill in and submit the form / affidavit and other required documentation.