Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA policy: One can inherit / transfer miles due to death or divorce (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 30, 2015, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
What happens to AAdvantage miles in case of death (or divorce)?

AA states they actually own the miles and they are not transferable other than paid means offered by their affiliates. However, as provided by the AAdvantage Terms and Conditions, AA miles can in fact be transferred through a will or in divorce proceedings, with the consent of American Airlines. Specific forms (including an affidavit) must be filled out, and copies of death certificate, decree etc. must be provided with filled out forms. For necessary forms, contact AAdvantage Customer Service (link), Open weekdays 7-7 Central time) for further assistance and forms.

Earning AAdvantage miles

...Except as otherwise explained below, mileage credit is not transferable and may not be combined among AAdvantage members, their estates, successors or assigns. Accrued mileage credit and award tickets do not constitute property of the member. Neither accrued mileage, nor award tickets, nor status, nor upgrades are transferable by the member (i) upon death, (ii) as part of a domestic relations matter, or (iii) otherwise by operation of law. However, American Airlines, in its sole discretion, may credit accrued mileage to persons specifically identified in court approved divorce decrees and wills upon receipt of documentation satisfactory to American Airlines and upon payment of any applicable fees. (Link).

Note: AA no longer charges for this.
Members have previously posted they have successfully moved miles from the account of a decedent to that of a designated heir. Others have posted about divorce decrees specifying miles transfers as part of a settlement.

The moderator can verify the definitive post in this thread is from the archive:

Originally Posted by Island
...You have been given all of the correct information. Your first call to customer service will provide that the affidavit and instructions be sent to you, aong (sic) with a return envelope. Complete the affidavit, provide a DC (death certificate) the fee, mail and the miles will be transferred in short time.

Note: no fee is charged.
See Posts #41 and #68.

From a NY Times article, courtesy of BOSOGG:

Airlines That Allow Transfers (after death)

AMERICAN

Kudos to American for having a clear, consistent policy: AAdvantage miles can be transferred out of a deceased member’s account to a beneficiary’s AAdvantage account. In April, American even dropped the $50 fee it used to charge for some transfers. On request, the airline will send a packet with an affidavit the beneficiary should fill out, indicating whose account should receive the miles; it should be signed by the surviving spouse, the sole heir or the executor of the estate. A copy of the death certificate must also be submitted (but doesn’t have to be certified, which is also the case with most airlines). Michael Maldonado, an American spokesman, said transfer requests are processed within seven business days.
Older and obsolete posts have been archived to ARCHIVE: AA miles: Can transfer due to death or divorce? (consolidated)
Print Wikipost

AA policy: One can inherit / transfer miles due to death or divorce (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2016, 12:32 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
Tried searching the forum but couldn't find any recent posts. My husband passed away in January 2016. There are around 130,000 miles in his account. I've read a lot of conflicting information about whether American will transfer his miles to me - from what I read, it's the luck of the draw in who you talk to. Has anyone had recent experience with this situation? Any advice?
Looks like you already have a quality answer how to proceed, but if you have any issues with that or would rather go the electronic my experience from early this year is posted above.

Some time much earlier I tried the phone route twice but was met with suspicion who I was and confusion if it could be done at all. This time went electronic with board advice and found it to be prompt if a bit slower than advertised. The generic CS contact form does not quite fit the situation but there is space for a free-form message.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 5:25 pm

Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond
death of AAdvantage members - salvage miles?

Hello,

my parents were longtime AA flyers who died last month with over 1,000,000 AA miles between them. They were EXP for years before dropping to Plat in the last year before they died.

Understanding that officially AA miles die with the owner, I have read that in some cases AA will allow those miles to be transferred to a survivor. We would like to use those miles to get the kids and grandkids to hawaii for the burial later this month. Does anyone have any suggestions on the best way to go about speaking to AA about this?

thanks
Old Jun 5, 2017, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Look at this thread:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...aster-thd.html

I've done it in the past for a $50 fee and an affidavit to AA.

Sorry to hear about the parents.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 5:44 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by psychtobe
Hello,

my parents were longtime AA flyers who died last month with over 1,000,000 AA miles between them. They were EXP for years before dropping to Plat in the last year before they died.

Understanding that officially AA miles die with the owner, I have read that in some cases AA will allow those miles to be transferred to a survivor. We would like to use those miles to get the kids and grandkids to hawaii for the burial later this month. Does anyone have any suggestions on the best way to go about speaking to AA about this?

thanks
There is no fee to transfer active miles upon the death to the beneficiaries. If the miles are expired, the standard reinstatement fee will apply and then they can be transferred. Just submit the death certificate and affidavit they ask for and pay any fees. I recommend having all miles transferred to a single account for easier redemption.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 6:54 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by psychtobe
Hello,

thanks
I'm sorry for your loss.

We have merged your query into the existing thread; please read the Wikipost at the top of the page on how one can proceed.

/Moderator
Old Jun 5, 2017, 9:30 pm

Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond
thank you, very helpful.
Old Dec 23, 2017, 8:56 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
Transferring Miles upon Death

Anyone have experience in how AA treats requests to transfer miles after account holder dies? T+C say "Neither accrued mileage, nor award tickets, nor status, nor upgrades are transferable by the member (i) upon death,... However, American Airlines, in its sole discretion, may credit accrued mileage to persons specifically identified in ... wills upon receipt of documentation satisfactory to American Airlines and upon payment of any applicable fees."

Any idea what criteria they use to decide?
Old Dec 23, 2017, 11:29 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Alpha Golf
Anyone have experience in how AA treats requests to transfer miles after account holder dies? T+C say "Neither accrued mileage, nor award tickets, nor status, nor upgrades are transferable by the member (i) upon death,... However, American Airlines, in its sole discretion, may credit accrued mileage to persons specifically identified in ... wills upon receipt of documentation satisfactory to American Airlines and upon payment of any applicable fees."

Any idea what criteria they use to decide?
You ask, they transfer:

The mileage remaining in this account may be transferred to one or more
accounts of beneficiaries. Please follow these steps:

1. Print out the affidavit below, fill in the required information and sign the affidavit
2. Forward this message to ACS, and for prompt service, keep the same subject line
3. Attach a copy of the signed affidavit and death certificate (need not be a certified copy) in .pdf, .tif,. jpg., or .bmp format (not to exceed 1 MB):
SWORN AFFIDAVIT FORM
(Note: Notary signature is -not- required)

I, ______________________________, who resides in ________________
County in the State of

________________, make this my statement and General Affidavit upon oath
and affirmation of belief and personal knowledge that the following
facts and statements are true and correct to the best of my knowledge:

Duly sworn, I state on my oath that: (please check one)
q I am the spouse and heir of the decedent, or
q I am the sole heir of the decedent, or
q I am the Executor of the decedent’s estate

By virtue of the above named relationship, I request that the AAdvantage
miles remaining in the

decedent’s AAdvantage account #__ __ __ __ __ __ __ be transferred to
AAdvantage account(s):

#__ __ __ __ __ __ __ in the name of _______________________________

and #__ __ __ __ __ __ __ in the name of _______________________________

The decedent’s name is _______________________________.

My relationship to the decedent is _______________________.

My telephone number is ___________________________.

Old Dec 23, 2017, 1:28 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
Thanks. I did search,not sure why I didn't find thread.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 8:08 am

Just updating folks - I just completed this transfer. AA couldn't have been kinder or more sympathetic. Kudos to them.
JDiver likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 8:39 am

Originally Posted by Alpha Golf
Just updating folks - I just completed this transfer. AA couldn't have been kinder or more sympathetic. Kudos to them.
I’m sorry you had a loss that required you to use this option.

Thank you for updating this thread with your experience.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
I’m sorry you had a loss that required you to use this option.
Thanks
Old Apr 14, 2018, 2:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by JDiver
To AA, it's fraudulent activity as defined in the AAdvantage Terms and Conditions and American Airlines Conditions of Carriage - and those are what we agree to hew to in using and earning miles. Using a deceased person's account for award trips without having authorized access is never a good idea, and (to repeat) technically fraudulent as viewed by AA. Ask those whose accounts were frozen and acted upon by AA what power they had to contest those actions - the only answer is "none".
But what if you and your spouse actively used each other's accounts with consent? The operative term you used is "without having authorized access."

My wife always gave me access to her account and vice versa.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
But what if you and your spouse actively used each other's accounts with consent? The operative term you used is "without having authorized access."

My wife always gave me access to her account and vice versa.
I’d immend you to the AAdvantage Terms and Conditions, and AAdvantage Customer Service. And some caution, because explaining this at checkin or the gate might not flow so easily.

Last edited by JDiver; Apr 16, 2018 at 8:36 am Reason: Add URL
Old Apr 15, 2018, 11:11 pm

Programs: AA, onePass
What contact number does one call when spouse passes to inquire about transferring their miles to own account? Is it just the Advantage Customer Service number or is there a web page you can go to?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.