Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA policy: One can inherit / transfer miles due to death or divorce (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 30, 2015, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
What happens to AAdvantage miles in case of death (or divorce)?

AA states they actually own the miles and they are not transferable other than paid means offered by their affiliates. However, as provided by the AAdvantage Terms and Conditions, AA miles can in fact be transferred through a will or in divorce proceedings, with the consent of American Airlines. Specific forms (including an affidavit) must be filled out, and copies of death certificate, decree etc. must be provided with filled out forms. For necessary forms, contact AAdvantage Customer Service (link), Open weekdays 7-7 Central time) for further assistance and forms.

Earning AAdvantage miles

...Except as otherwise explained below, mileage credit is not transferable and may not be combined among AAdvantage members, their estates, successors or assigns. Accrued mileage credit and award tickets do not constitute property of the member. Neither accrued mileage, nor award tickets, nor status, nor upgrades are transferable by the member (i) upon death, (ii) as part of a domestic relations matter, or (iii) otherwise by operation of law. However, American Airlines, in its sole discretion, may credit accrued mileage to persons specifically identified in court approved divorce decrees and wills upon receipt of documentation satisfactory to American Airlines and upon payment of any applicable fees. (Link).

Note: AA no longer charges for this.
Members have previously posted they have successfully moved miles from the account of a decedent to that of a designated heir. Others have posted about divorce decrees specifying miles transfers as part of a settlement.

The moderator can verify the definitive post in this thread is from the archive:

Originally Posted by Island
...You have been given all of the correct information. Your first call to customer service will provide that the affidavit and instructions be sent to you, aong (sic) with a return envelope. Complete the affidavit, provide a DC (death certificate) the fee, mail and the miles will be transferred in short time.

Note: no fee is charged.
See Posts #41 and #68.

From a NY Times article, courtesy of BOSOGG:

Airlines That Allow Transfers (after death)

AMERICAN

Kudos to American for having a clear, consistent policy: AAdvantage miles can be transferred out of a deceased member’s account to a beneficiary’s AAdvantage account. In April, American even dropped the $50 fee it used to charge for some transfers. On request, the airline will send a packet with an affidavit the beneficiary should fill out, indicating whose account should receive the miles; it should be signed by the surviving spouse, the sole heir or the executor of the estate. A copy of the death certificate must also be submitted (but doesn’t have to be certified, which is also the case with most airlines). Michael Maldonado, an American spokesman, said transfer requests are processed within seven business days.
Older and obsolete posts have been archived to ARCHIVE: AA miles: Can transfer due to death or divorce? (consolidated)
Print Wikipost

AA policy: One can inherit / transfer miles due to death or divorce (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2016, 7:06 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by redtoesblue
Is there anyway around this? Perhaps changing the name on the account to a living family member?
Not a chance in hell, not gonna happen, forget about it.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 8:21 pm

Programs: AA Peon Gold
Is there anyway around this? Perhaps changing the name on the account to a living family member?
I'm in no way encouraging fraud, but if you have the same first and last name you might be able to make it work.

Of course, this applies to .01% of the population here.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 9:03 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by WRCSolberg
I'm in no way encouraging fraud, but if you have the same first and last name you might be able to make it work.

They'd get caught.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 9:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by JonNYC
They'd get caught.
Near certainly.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 10:36 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by WRCSolberg

Great way to lose the miles, account, whole enchilada. AA Corporate Security - AAdvantage Fraud have finely developed noses for this kind of thing; it has been demonstrated with some degree of frequency hereabouts.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 11:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
What about AA status being inheritable? I know of someone who's dad traveled his entire career who recently passed away. Aside from the miles, would the heirs be able to assume AA status as well?
Lifetime status is for the lifetime of the member, not descendants until the end of the airline's lifetime.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 11:29 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by mvoight
Lifetime status is for the lifetime of the member, not descendants until the end of the airline's lifetime.
I think we in the USA eschewed inheritable titles, etc. sometime before 1776. No peerAAge.

AA is actually ahead of some competitors in allowing miles to be transferred as they do; any more and we're pushing the limits. And it appears Messrs. Parker and Kirby aren't very charitably inclined towards passengers at the moment.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by JDiver
Great way to lose the miles, account, whole enchilada. AA Corporate Security - AAdvantage Fraud have finely developed noses for this kind of thing; it has been demonstrated with some degree of frequency hereabouts.
What if we used the miles for family travel till the account had zero miles, then proceeded to process name change? Also, how does the name change process work when booking flights?

Let's say you're able to change the first name on the account, but ignore the DOB & gender, and used that account to book a flight. What happens at that point?
Old Jun 14, 2016, 10:48 am
Suspended

Arrow Stop

What if we used the miles for family travel till the account had zero miles, then proceeded to process name change? Also, how does the name change process work when booking flights?

Let's say you're able to change the first name on the account, but ignore the DOB & gender, and used that account to book a flight. What happens at that point?

Not going to work.

Stop.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
What if we used the miles for family travel till the account had zero miles, then proceeded to process name change?
Note that miles may be considered an asset, and if this was done by the executor of the will or estate outside of the probate process, that it would be considered a violation of probate if someone contested the will or estate. As someone who recently had to serve as the personal representative for a deceased person, I was fortunate that all possible parties agreed that I was the most qualified person to serve that function. Had someone contested my appointment as personal representative, and it was seen that I had used an asset of the estate in a manner outside of the will or probate process, it could have gotten very messy, all the way up possibly to felony charges.

Also, how does the name change process work when booking flights?

If someone at AA checks identification (and I would hope a name change would create a flag in the account to require ID verification for the next flight of the person with that AAdvantage number) and the traveler attempting to travel does not match the information on file, this could be considered fraudulent. Criminal charges may be unlikely, but shutdown of AAdvantage accounts (and voiding of all tickets issued from the account) is quite likely.

As JonNYC, who has far more inside AA knowledge than almost any other poster here (and more than 98% of us combined) has said, please stop. This is not going to work.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 5:43 am

Transferring miles after death of spouse?

Tried searching the forum but couldn't find any recent posts. My husband passed away in January 2016. There are around 130,000 miles in his account. I've read a lot of conflicting information about whether American will transfer his miles to me - from what I read, it's the luck of the draw in who you talk to. Has anyone had recent experience with this situation? Any advice?
Old Nov 15, 2016, 6:27 am

Programs: AA PLAT 2MM
I just did it without a problem last week. Simply call, they'll send you an email, you fill out an affidavit and attach copy of death certificate, and the free transfer happens shortly thereafter.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 6:44 am

Thank you!! I'll get started today.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 8:16 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA LT Gold, SPG Plat 75
Originally Posted by CarolynAnn
Thank you!! I'll get started today.
You have your answer, but just wanted to say I am sorry for your loss.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 11:28 am

Deleted

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.