Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Transportation e- and paper Voucher / vouchers / "MCO" FAQ and master thread

Old Jun 13, 2013, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Transportation Voucher, "MCO" FAQ

Transportation eVouchers
Link to aa.com eVouchers Terms and Conditions page
Link to aa.com eVoucher page

General Information
Glossary: MCO - Miscellaneous Charges Order

AA issues e-vouchers to those in US 50 states, US Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico as of 28 Nov 2019. Printed green vouchers are still used for those residing elsewhere at this time.

Transportation vouchers issued by American Airlines or American Eagle are valid for travel on American Airlines, American Eagle and American Airlines codeshare flights (AA*).

These vouchers are also valid for travel on oneworld itineraries (including oneworld affiliates that must be booked as a codeshare flight marketed by a oneworld carrier) where American Airlines or American Airlines codeshare flights (AA*) is the international carrier.

Note: For oneworld itineraries, international flights are defined as transatlantic, transpacific and flights to and from South America. Flights to and from Alaska, Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, or Central America are not included.

Travel agents may accept American Airlines vouchers (042/043) for full or partial payment for a ticket as an "exchange" document/ticket. If the voucher is less than the ticket the additional monies are collected. If the voucher exceeds the ticket cost an MCO will be issued for the difference as a residual indicating non-refundable and for American Airlines transportation only. Valid one year from date of issue ((you must encumber the voucher before one year has expired since issuance*). There is no change fee / ASC associated with using a voucher. Updated 18 Feb 2015.)

The original post, provided by member IceTrojan, has been placed here so members can edit and update as necessary. Information below has not necessarily been updated; be aware.

FAQ: AA Vouchers

Q. How do vouchers work on AA?

They are treated just like cash towards valid purchases.

Q. What can I use the vouchers on?
  • Airfare on American Airlines (inc. American Eagle), codeshares, and oneworld itineraries where AA is the international/"governing" carrier.
  • 500-mile domestic upgrade stickers (at the airport only).
  • Co-payments for upgrades or reduced mileage awards.
  • Excess baggage fees.
  • Special handling fees (e.g. checked pets), with a traveling passenger (i.e. not cargo).
  • Change fees, provided an additional collection of the fare is also being made.
There are special considerations if you are located in the following countries (may not be up to date):
  • In the UK, Belgium, Germany and France, vouchers are accepted for Net fares.
  • In Switzerland, vouchers are accepted on Q and L class Net fares only.
  • In Ireland, vouchers are accepted in Q, O and L class Net fares only.
Q. Can I use American Airlines travel vouchers to purchase a vacation package from AAVacations?

Yes, travel vouchers can be used toward the American Airlines and American Eagle flight portion of your trip, but may not be used to purchase any of the non-flight components of your trip such as hotels, rental cars, transfers, activities or insurance. Travel vouchers are not currently accepted online, but may be redeemed by calling AAVacations at 1-800-489-4810.

Q. Can I use the vouchers for ANYTHING else?

No.

Q. Really?

Yes, really.

Q. Are there restrictions on purchasing airfare?

Unlike other airlines that place restrictions on certain fares/dates/times/routes, AA vouchers are just like cash, so you can use them to buy all fares that are available for purchase.

Q. How long do I have to use the vouchers?

One (1) year from date of issuance.

Q. I can't use my voucher in time. How can I extend the expiration date?
AA automatically extended the expiration of some vouchers in 2021. If your expiration date was between January 1, 2021 and May 31, 2021, the new expiration is March 31, 2022.

If you still need to extend the expiration, spend at least part it on any of its valid uses listed above. For example, pay for a cheap throwaway ticket, a speculative ticket, or a 500-mile upgrade certificate. Any unused amount will be sent to you as a new voucher with a new 1-year expiration date.

Q. What if I lose a voucher?

Sorry, you're out of luck. Treat your vouchers like cash.

Q. Can I use the vouchers to buy tickets for someone else?

While vouchers are non-transferable, you may buy a ticket in someone else's name, so long as you are the one presenting the voucher (either by phone or personally at a ticket counter/office). If someone else presents the voucher, the ticket MUST be issued in the name of that on the voucher.

Q. Is there a fee for using the vouchers?

It appears that ticketing at an airport ticket office is still subject to a charge of $30, unless you are EXP.

Note that if you are EXP, these "booking" fees are waived (and any Agent that tells you otherwise is wrong). (thanks SquareDanceGuy)

Note that if you have booked the ticket online and go to the airport to apply a voucher, there are no fees either, regardless of status. (thanks RogerD408)

Q. What happens to the taxes?

This depends on the type of voucher. The following voucher codes are exempt from some of the taxes: Basically, if you use these vouchers to pay for the whole cost of your fare, you will lower the overall costs as some of the taxes do not apply. (thanks uncle wiggly) If you make a partial payment with vouchers, then the associated taxes will likewise be reduced by the same proportional amount. (thanks marshall)

OU is the only voucher taxable, as it's issued against the unused portion of a ticket that has been exchanged (amongst other things). (thanks hillrider)

Q. What if the value of my vouchers exceed the value of my fare? Do I lose it? (thanks ffay005)

Unlike some* other airlines, you do NOT lose the residual value of your vouchers. If the residual value is more than $5, AA will mail you another voucher back as change, and this voucher is valid for one (1) year after its issuance. (thanks whynotfly) *golfmad added the word "some" based on post #440.

Q. How many vouchers can I use at one time?

According to one AAgent, nine (9) was the maximum number of vouchers accepted by the system.

Q. I bought AA tickets from a 3rd party (e.g., travel agent, internet travel site, Priceline/Hotwire). Can I use the vouchers retroactively?

No.
Q. How long does it take to process the vouchers?

After they receive the vouchers, AA will process them within 1-3 days, so it's really dependent on how long it takes the mail to arrive to Florida. AA reservations will accept the vouchers for a phone booking, if the reservation made is at least 12 days prior to departure. It's recommended that if you need to ticket within 2 weeks that you go directly to an Airport Ticket Office, which can process your voucher/s immediately.

Q. How do I apply vouchers to a reservation I have on hold on AA.com?
  1. Call Web Services at 1-800-222-2377 or 1-918-832-1384 (6:00 AM - 2:00 AM CT, 7 days a week). In the UK, call 08-45-601-0619 (8:30 AM - 5:00 PM UK time, Monday-Friday).
  2. Give them the PNR and tell them you would like to apply vouchers.
  3. They will give you instructions on how to send the vouchers in.
  4. Pay any balance with a credit card.
Q. What's the address where I send my vouchers to?
US: up-to-date in March 2021, UK: up-to-date in January 2022

American Airlines
M.D. 8A701
Fort Worth, TX 76155
USA

The return address for those in the UK and the rest of Europe, who have agreed to send their voucher(s) to AA in the UK, is:

American Airlines
100 Old Hall Street
The Plaza, 7th floor
Liverpool L3 9QJ
United Kingdom

On the envelope under the return address, write:
<Date of first flight, in DD Month format (e.g. 01 Jan)>

Attach a sticky note to the vouchers with the following details:
<First flight number, e.g. AA1234>
<Last name>
<Booking record locator, AKA booking reference>

(Notice: vouchers are not processed sequentially based on date of the voucher/s being received by AA, but rather on flight dates. Flights may show as "Ticket Pending" once the voucher has been applied, and at some time prior to flight (two weeks is usual) it will show "Ticketed" and you should be able to see your ticket number, beginning with "001", in your receipt from your itinerary at aa.com or in your e-Ticket. Also notice that you should photocopy your voucher/s prior to mailing them.)

Q. What if I entered a Business Extra number?

You will have to contact Business Extra to apply the vouchers. Their number is 1-800-433-1790, and they are available 5:00 AM - 12:00 PM, CT, 7 days a week.

Q. What if I live outside the United States and I want to use vouchers?

As the vouchers are in US Dollars, it's probably most convenient to call the US reservations number for a new booking denoted in US Dollars, thus avoiding any currency conversion, except any associated with your credit card. You can call your local reservations number or visit a local Airport Ticket Office (ATO). Beware that there's not a large network of ATOs.

In all likelihood, you will be asked to mail your voucher(s) to AA, so if time is of the essence, you should consider going directly to an ATO, who can process it/them immediately.

Obsolete posts from 2014-2015 have been archived to: ARCHIVE: Transportation Voucher / vouchers / "MCO" FAQ and master thread.
Older obsolete posts from 2013 and before, can be read in: ARCHIVE: Transportation Voucher / vouchers / "MCO" FAQ and master thread (consol.).
Print Wikipost

Transportation e- and paper Voucher / vouchers / "MCO" FAQ and master thread

Old May 2, 2018, 2:17 pm

Extend Travel Certificate

Hi All,

I've done some searching here but the threads I was able to find seem to be a few years old. Wanted to know what my best options were.

We booked a family trip last June. Scheduled to fly in December. Unfortunately my grandmother got sick and we had to cancel the trip. Now I want to use the credit toward a flight in August. I thought I was good because I was flying within a year of the original travel date, but AA told me its 1 year from the BOOKING date.

What is my best option to extend the certificates a few months? The agent I spoke to said booking a flexible fare and then canceling it will not work, but is she right? Could I sell the certificates or use it for something else other than flights?

Thanks!
Jeremy
Old May 4, 2018, 12:57 pm

how come a paper voucher got issued? Arent eVouchers available with AA for a while now?
Old May 4, 2018, 7:12 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
I wouldn't doubt that people not using/throwing out paper vouchers is exactly why AA has stuck with them. They know that e-vouchers would be much easier to use and thus would be used more. Keep some people in Milton, FL employed as well.
Old May 4, 2018, 7:36 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
It's like when I get a 25 cent check for some class action law suit. I absolutely cash it because it takes me only a few seconds to snap a pic on the bank mobile app and it's done. They count on this *NOT* being done. They spend more labor hours creating them, printing them, distributing them, managing them and processing them. If AA chooses not to implement a fully electronic voucher system, that's not our problem.

What IS our problem is the hassle of actually redeeming a $7 voucher. You can certainly call and apply it to a reservation if you can do an AAdvantage Hold. You can do it at a ticket counter if you're traveling near one. You can mail it in. None of these are ideal, but in principle it's important that we use the paper vouchers they give us.
Old May 4, 2018, 7:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
If you have a different flight coming up another option is to put it on hold the night before then while at the airport have it ticketed there. Give yourself extra time if you do this, last week I did this and they had to find the 1 rep who knew how to do it but it saved me from mailing something, which would entail finding a stamp and envelope. It would be nice if AA joined DL and UA in the 21st century and allowed these to be used online but as suggested I’d bet the breakage they get on them makes it low on the priority list
Old May 4, 2018, 11:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by BPCGuy

The best thing to do is to put the itinerary on hold (the last option on the payment screen) and then call in to complete the reservation. You will have to mail in the voucher and pay the balance by credit card. The ticket will show as pending until they process the mailed voucher. You wont be charged a phone ticketing fee.
Another option, when telling them you are using it, tell them you will mail it in, then you can bring it to a ticket counter if you are traveling through an airport within that 12 day period.
Old May 7, 2018, 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by jss381
Hi All,

I've done some searching here but the threads I was able to find seem to be a few years old. Wanted to know what my best options were.

We booked a family trip last June. Scheduled to fly in December. Unfortunately my grandmother got sick and we had to cancel the trip. Now I want to use the credit toward a flight in August. I thought I was good because I was flying within a year of the original travel date, but AA told me its 1 year from the BOOKING date.

What is my best option to extend the certificates a few months? The agent I spoke to said booking a flexible fare and then canceling it will not work, but is she right? Could I sell the certificates or use it for something else other than flights?

Thanks!
Jeremy
Bumping this up to see if anyone has any recommendations. Appreciate the help!
Old May 17, 2018, 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by minkeygirl
I'm in the same situation as tenant13. My paper voucher expires at end April, so I'd be grateful to know what will happen if I buy a refundable ticket with it, and try to claim a refund in future. Thanks.
FYI: I ended up using the voucher for booking on AAVacations site. It has its limitations but there are pluses. I bought a week in Lisbon for the end of September. I paid a little extra for the refundable hotel and purchased a waiver for $129 that allows me to cancel the whole thing up until the departure without any penalties. If I do, they will issue the full refund (minus the $129): the new voucher will be valid for another year from the date of issue. Changes are allowed.
Old May 28, 2018, 12:02 pm

Need to use $200 AA Voucher from WAS

Not technically a mileage run but do you experts have any good ideas where to go on AA. Everything seems expensive.

Thank you~
Old May 28, 2018, 12:23 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by marlin
Not technically a mileage run but do you experts have any good ideas where to go on AA. Everything seems expensive.

Thank you~
OK, moot now that mods moved from MR forum.

MR Mods Alerted.

boy, that was quick, or spotted before RBP.
Old May 28, 2018, 12:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
When does it expire? Shuttle trip to LGA? Couple days off in Miami on the beach? Add about 50 and you can go to Chicago.
Old May 28, 2018, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by marlin

Thank you~
Are you really indifferent to flying from BWI, DCA or IAD? I might anticipate that fares would be better from BWI (facing competition from Southwest) but the non-stop destination count is far better from DCA.
Old May 28, 2018, 2:18 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
The summer sales apparently didnt materialize this year.

What kind of travel are you looking at - Domestic, North America - Caribbean, seasonal, weekend stay, favorite activities or aspirational destinations?
Old Jun 17, 2018, 10:00 pm

AA Ticketing Agent Denies That They Issue eVouchers

Story time!

My paper voucher expires in 10 days so I book a one-way flight to Japan departing in 3 weeks over the phone and told the agent I would present the voucher at an aa ticketing counter later today. When I arrive at the ticketing counter to redeem the voucher, I find a disgruntled, slightly stressed, middle-aged woman manning the desk. She's arguing with some passengers because they missed their check-in window and were unhappy that they had to rebook on another flight. When it was my turn, I try to redeem the voucher, she informs me matter-of-factly that I would need either a visa into Japan or an onward flight before they can issue the ticket. Fine. Not an uncommon requirement. I've done this many times before.

So I exit the line and hop on skyscanner and find a flight from Japan to Korea on a budget airline and book it. I return to the counter and proudly display the proof of onward travel, but the agent tells me that I need yet another onward ticket exiting Korea or a Korean visa before I can redeem my voucher!

What?! I need an onward onward flight as well?! She had a calm demeanor but I can sense a wicked smile behind her glassy eyes.

I could feel my rage level rising. I take a deep breath, smile, and calm down. After a bit of cordial back and forth, the agent tells me she can issue the ticket but I need to get a Korean visa before I board the flight or they will deny me from boarding.

So! Do I really need to secure a visa to the second country or provide a full flight itinerary back to the US before I can get on the plane? I've been traveling non-stop for the last year and I don't know when I'm coming back, so it isn't realistic for me to book out all my flights in advance. To me, it smells like BS. It feels like the agent was trying to delay the voucher redemption since the expiration is so close, hoping that I would give up trying to redeem the voucher because I can't get a visa in time.

Anyway, she gives me a receipt for an eTicket and provides the balance of the voucher back to me as another paper voucher. I ask for an eVoucher and she says aa does not provide eVouchers. Is this lady just lying to my face non-stop?? Is she just assuming everyone is stupid or is she telling the truth?
Old Jun 17, 2018, 11:37 pm

Programs: AA Life Gold, Marriott Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by Thomas Chen
Anyway, she gives me a receipt for an eTicket and provides the balance of the voucher back to me as another paper voucher. I ask for an eVoucher and she says aa does not provide eVouchers. Is this lady just lying to my face non-stop?? Is she just assuming everyone is stupid or is she telling the truth?
The only thing I can say is that I doubt 99% of ticket counter agents care enough to try to thwart you in your attempt to redeem your paper voucher to attempt to save AA a little bit of money, so defending the company is probably not her motive.

However, this does bring me to ask a related question as I have a voucher expiring this fall and no plans to use it.... Can or should I just use it to book a fully refundable ticket, wait a few days, and then get a refund to get a reset on the expiration clock? Any down sides to doing that?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.