Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Transportation e- and paper Voucher / vouchers / "MCO" FAQ and master thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 13, 2013, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Transportation Voucher, "MCO" FAQ

Transportation eVouchers
Link to aa.com eVouchers Terms and Conditions page
Link to aa.com eVoucher page

General Information
Glossary: MCO - Miscellaneous Charges Order

AA issues e-vouchers to those in US 50 states, US Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico as of 28 Nov 2019. Printed green vouchers are still used for those residing elsewhere at this time.

Transportation vouchers issued by American Airlines or American Eagle® are valid for travel on American Airlines, American Eagle and American Airlines codeshare flights (AA*).

These vouchers are also valid for travel on oneworld® itineraries (including oneworld affiliates that must be booked as a codeshare flight marketed by a oneworld carrier) where American Airlines or American Airlines codeshare flights (AA*) is the international carrier.

Note: For oneworld itineraries, international flights are defined as transatlantic, transpacific and flights to and from South America. Flights to and from Alaska, Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, or Central America are not included.

Travel agents may accept American Airlines vouchers (042/043) for full or partial payment for a ticket as an "exchange" document/ticket. If the voucher is less than the ticket the additional monies are collected. If the voucher exceeds the ticket cost an MCO will be issued for the difference as a residual indicating non-refundable and for American Airlines transportation only. Valid one year from date of issue ((you must encumber the voucher before one year has expired since issuance*). There is no change fee / ASC associated with using a voucher. Updated 18 Feb 2015.)

The original post, provided by member IceTrojan, has been placed here so members can edit and update as necessary. Information below has not necessarily been updated; be aware.

FAQ: AA Vouchers

Q. How do vouchers work on AA?

They are treated just like cash towards valid purchases.

Q. What can I use the vouchers on?
  • Airfare on American Airlines (inc. American Eagle), codeshares, and oneworld itineraries where AA is the international/"governing" carrier.
  • 500-mile domestic upgrade stickers (at the airport only).
  • Co-payments for upgrades or reduced mileage awards.
  • Excess baggage fees.
  • Special handling fees (e.g. checked pets), with a traveling passenger (i.e. not cargo).
  • Change fees, provided an additional collection of the fare is also being made.
There are special considerations if you are located in the following countries (may not be up to date):
  • In the UK, Belgium, Germany and France, vouchers are accepted for Net fares.
  • In Switzerland, vouchers are accepted on Q and L class Net fares only.
  • In Ireland, vouchers are accepted in Q, O and L class Net fares only.
Q. Can I use American Airlines travel vouchers to purchase a vacation package from AAVacations?

Yes, travel vouchers can be used toward the American Airlines and American Eagle flight portion of your trip, but may not be used to purchase any of the non-flight components of your trip such as hotels, rental cars, transfers, activities or insurance. Travel vouchers are not currently accepted online, but may be redeemed by calling AAVacations at 1-800-489-4810.

Q. Can I use the vouchers for ANYTHING else?

No.

Q. Really?

Yes, really.

Q. Are there restrictions on purchasing airfare?

Unlike other airlines that place restrictions on certain fares/dates/times/routes, AA vouchers are just like cash, so you can use them to buy all fares that are available for purchase.

Q. How long do I have to use the vouchers?

One (1) year from date of issuance.

Q. I can't use my voucher in time. How can I extend the expiration date?
AA automatically extended the expiration of some vouchers in 2021. If your expiration date was between January 1, 2021 and May 31, 2021, the new expiration is March 31, 2022.

If you still need to extend the expiration, spend at least part it on any of its valid uses listed above. For example, pay for a cheap throwaway ticket, a speculative ticket, or a 500-mile upgrade certificate. Any unused amount will be sent to you as a new voucher with a new 1-year expiration date.

Q. What if I lose a voucher?

Sorry, you're out of luck. Treat your vouchers like cash.

Q. Can I use the vouchers to buy tickets for someone else?

While vouchers are non-transferable, you may buy a ticket in someone else's name, so long as you are the one presenting the voucher (either by phone or personally at a ticket counter/office). If someone else presents the voucher, the ticket MUST be issued in the name of that on the voucher.

Q. Is there a fee for using the vouchers?

It appears that ticketing at an airport ticket office is still subject to a charge of $30, unless you are EXP.

Note that if you are EXP, these "booking" fees are waived (and any Agent that tells you otherwise is wrong). (thanks SquareDanceGuy)

Note that if you have booked the ticket online and go to the airport to apply a voucher, there are no fees either, regardless of status. (thanks RogerD408)

Q. What happens to the taxes?

This depends on the type of voucher. The following voucher codes are exempt from some of the taxes: Basically, if you use these vouchers to pay for the whole cost of your fare, you will lower the overall costs as some of the taxes do not apply. (thanks uncle wiggly) If you make a partial payment with vouchers, then the associated taxes will likewise be reduced by the same proportional amount. (thanks marshall)

OU is the only voucher taxable, as it's issued against the unused portion of a ticket that has been exchanged (amongst other things). (thanks hillrider)

Q. What if the value of my vouchers exceed the value of my fare? Do I lose it? (thanks ffay005)

Unlike some* other airlines, you do NOT lose the residual value of your vouchers. If the residual value is more than $5, AA will mail you another voucher back as change, and this voucher is valid for one (1) year after its issuance. (thanks whynotfly) *golfmad added the word "some" based on post #440.

Q. How many vouchers can I use at one time?

According to one AAgent, nine (9) was the maximum number of vouchers accepted by the system.

Q. I bought AA tickets from a 3rd party (e.g., travel agent, internet travel site, Priceline/Hotwire). Can I use the vouchers retroactively?

No.
Q. How long does it take to process the vouchers?

After they receive the vouchers, AA will process them within 1-3 days, so it's really dependent on how long it takes the mail to arrive to Florida. AA reservations will accept the vouchers for a phone booking, if the reservation made is at least 12 days prior to departure. It's recommended that if you need to ticket within 2 weeks that you go directly to an Airport Ticket Office, which can process your voucher/s immediately.

Q. How do I apply vouchers to a reservation I have on hold on AA.com?
  1. Call Web Services at 1-800-222-2377 or 1-918-832-1384 (6:00 AM - 2:00 AM CT, 7 days a week). In the UK, call 08-45-601-0619 (8:30 AM - 5:00 PM UK time, Monday-Friday).
  2. Give them the PNR and tell them you would like to apply vouchers.
  3. They will give you instructions on how to send the vouchers in.
  4. Pay any balance with a credit card.
Q. What's the address where I send my vouchers to?
US: up-to-date in March 2021, UK: up-to-date in January 2022

American Airlines
M.D. 8A701
Fort Worth, TX 76155
USA

The return address for those in the UK and the rest of Europe, who have agreed to send their voucher(s) to AA in the UK, is:

American Airlines
100 Old Hall Street
The Plaza, 7th floor
Liverpool L3 9QJ
United Kingdom

On the envelope under the return address, write:
<Date of first flight, in DD Month format (e.g. 01 Jan)>

Attach a sticky note to the vouchers with the following details:
<First flight number, e.g. AA1234>
<Last name>
<Booking record locator, AKA booking reference>

(Notice: vouchers are not processed sequentially based on date of the voucher/s being received by AA, but rather on flight dates. Flights may show as "Ticket Pending" once the voucher has been applied, and at some time prior to flight (two weeks is usual) it will show "Ticketed" and you should be able to see your ticket number, beginning with "001", in your receipt from your itinerary at aa.com or in your e-Ticket. Also notice that you should photocopy your voucher/s prior to mailing them.)

Q. What if I entered a Business Extra number?

You will have to contact Business Extra to apply the vouchers. Their number is 1-800-433-1790, and they are available 5:00 AM - 12:00 PM, CT, 7 days a week.

Q. What if I live outside the United States and I want to use vouchers?

As the vouchers are in US Dollars, it's probably most convenient to call the US reservations number for a new booking denoted in US Dollars, thus avoiding any currency conversion, except any associated with your credit card. You can call your local reservations number or visit a local Airport Ticket Office (ATO). Beware that there's not a large network of ATOs.

In all likelihood, you will be asked to mail your voucher(s) to AA, so if time is of the essence, you should consider going directly to an ATO, who can process it/them immediately.

Obsolete posts from 2014-2015 have been archived to: ARCHIVE: Transportation Voucher / vouchers / "MCO" FAQ and master thread.
Older obsolete posts from 2013 and before, can be read in: ARCHIVE: Transportation Voucher / vouchers / "MCO" FAQ and master thread (consol.).
Print Wikipost

Transportation e- and paper Voucher / vouchers / "MCO" FAQ and master thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2018, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by Daniel Solis
I want to book travel however pay with a travel voucher i received from voluntering to move to a different flight. If i put a ticket on hold can I go to the airport and redeem the voucher or do i need to call and then mail it in?
Yes, you can, however, IME many TAs will deny knowing how to process them even though the instructions are online at their station or they can call the Help Desk to get help. Also, I know they are few and far between, check to see if you have an AA Ticket Office near you, they too can process paper vouchers. And make sure they deal with the taxes property, most vouchers will get you a reduction of taxes assessed.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by ckx2
So do I get this straight. In the year 2018 an airline company called American Airlines is sending out paper vouchers around the world (in my case Singapore), just to have the customer mail it BACK to the US for redemption? I can't even get my head around this.
Many of these are issued at the gate and printed on ticket stock. The hope is you will lose the voucher and they won't have to pay it out. Probably sames them thousands of dollars a year. There's been talk of going electronic for a few years, but I'm sure the redemption rate is much higher so they have no incentive to force the change.

Another data point is it seems they know if/when a voucher has been redeemed. If you mail in the voucher and they don't receive it, they can apply the voucher to get the ticket issued. Hmmm???
Old Mar 15, 2018, 8:28 am

Programs: AA PLT, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by RogerD408
... If you mail in the voucher and they don't receive it, they can apply the voucher to get the ticket issued. Hmmm???
I recommend taking a photo of any voucher before you mail it in exactly in case it is lost in the mail
JDiver and RogerD408 like this.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
I want to book travel however pay with a travel voucher i received from voluntering to move to a different flight. If i put a ticket on hold can I go to the airport and redeem the voucher or do i need to call and then mail it in?
Yes, In fact, for more time, you could say you plan to mail it in, but actually take it to a ticket counter.
This works if you are planning to go to the airport in a few days for another trip, but want to book today.
Daniel Solis likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by ckx2
So do I get this straight. In the year 2018 an airline company called American Airlines is sending out paper vouchers around the world (in my case Singapore), just to have the customer mail it BACK to the US for redemption? I can't even get my head around this.
Based in Europe so AA told me to send my voucher to Liverpool.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 9:09 pm

Programs: AA PLT, United Silver
Smile

Originally Posted by mvoight
Yes, In fact, for more time, you could say you plan to mail it in, but actually take it to a ticket counter.
This works if you are planning to go to the airport in a few days for another trip, but want to book today.
Oh, I didn't know I could do that. Thanks!
Old Mar 16, 2018, 4:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Oh, I didn't know I could do that. Thanks!
Also after you called you have a limited time to send your voucher in - I think we have about 10 days to 2 weeks to do so. You might want to plan it with your trip to an airport.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 8:57 am

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Gold, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by cvgflyer1
Two questions:
1) my wife and I have a voucher but it was issued in her maiden name, she has since changed her last name so the name on the voucher does not match her AA#. Are we still able to redeem this or is it lost.
2) Can you use a voucher on multiple Record Locators/trips at the same time? For example can we book two trips that combined are less than the amount on the Voucher and have them both processed at the same time, or do we have to send the first one in then wait for the remaining amount voucher then send in the second trip?

Thanks in advance
Update on using a single voucher on multiple record locators:
1st Agent said it was not possible, decided to HUCA to double check.
2nd Agent said no problem and was able to add a note to the first and second reservations, and said to send it the voucher with both record locators listed on the envelope and a cover page/note.
Sent in the voucher and received the tickets back ~7 days later with no issue.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 9:07 am

Programs: AA PLT, IHG Spire
Glad it worked out for you. I expect with the multiple PNRs they took the change voucher from the first transaction and processed the second PNR right then for you.

For what its worth, I just used a voucher toward a multi city trip with seven flight segments on one PNR recently.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 3:52 pm

Programs: LatamPass Gold, SAS EBB, M&M
Originally Posted by krzysz
A small update, perhaps someone will find it useful. I have a voucher that needs to be used by May. I am located in Poland and received the voucher in the USA last year. I made a reservation yesterday and put it on hold. Nowadays it is only possible to put flights on hold on the US version of aa.com, last year that was also an option on the European sites, but not any more. I called AA in the USA to apply the voucher and pay the rest of the fare with my credit card. The first agent I talked to informed me that they couldn't process foreign credit cards. She suggested I contact the AA office in Warsaw. AA doesn't fly to Poland and they outsource someone to deal with their reservations, so I was a bit doubtful whether they would know how to apply vouchers. Then she tried to contact the helpdesk, and I got disconnected. I called again and the other agent said that I might be able to use a foreign credit card because I am a OW ruby. He talked to his supervisor, and in the end I was connected to the supervisor directly, who processed the payment. I was requested to send the voucher to Liverpool within the next seven days. I thought I would need to send it Florida, but I was told it would be Liverpool because I am based in Europe. Now my reservation shows up as "on request" on AA. I spent more than an hour on the phone, but I was successful in the end.
An update on my part. Even though the idea of sending vouchers doesn't sound very 2018, everything worked very well and smoothly in my case and I am very happy with the result. I sent the voucher last week by registered mail to Liverpool. The voucher arrived around noon today and my ticket was issued at around 6:30 pm UK time, so just a few hours later. My voucher was worth 500 usd and I was supposed to be charged 291.27 usd extra. However, as was mentioned previously in this thread, some taxes are reduced, so they charged me 273.20 usd in the end. Actually, I am wondering about the reason why the voucher reduces some fees (which to my knowledge include the US September 11th Security Fee (AY) and probably parts of US International Arrival/Departure Tax (US)). My voucher was for VDB, so could it be that they assume that these taxes had been paid for in my previous reservation, but since I was denied boarding and couldn't fly, the taxes get transferred to the new reservation? My reservation is for a trip from Spain to Lima; it includes a domestic sector in Spain operated by IB and a flight from LHR to Spain operated by BA, but all of them were booked under AA flight numbers.

One thing that may confuse some agents at reservation centers not very familiar with the procedure is that the US call centers are unable to charge non-US credit cards, so it is difficult to pay the part of the fare not covered by the voucher on the phone. This is not an issue though because they are not supposed to charge cards anyway. The agents only take credit card details, add them to the reservation and it's the people in Liverpool who recalculate the final amount and charge the card. In any case, everything went very smoothly and fast for me. The only thing that worried me was that the AA agent required me to dictate all the credit card details to her. When I had to do this with other airlines, it always involved pressing numbers on the phone keypad and seemed more secure.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 3:59 pm

Programs: AA PLT, United Silver
I seen alot of talk about vouchers changing the taxes on a ticket. I just used a voucher and it didn't affect the taxes is that normal?
Old Mar 26, 2018, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I seen alot of talk about vouchers changing the taxes on a ticket. I just used a voucher and it didn't affect the taxes is that normal?
It depends upon the type of voucher. Read the Wiki for more details. Unfortunately there are some agents that don't know how or choose not to process vouchers properly (even though they have instructions available on their screen and a rate desk available to help). I once went to over a dozen agents and only three were even willing to accept the paper voucher and of those three only one actually knew how process them correctly. This included TAs and AC Angels!
Old Mar 30, 2018, 2:26 pm

Im doing a last minute trip and am having trouble getting the time off, can I lock in the fare by calling and not mailing it in if I don't get off or will I still be on the hook for a $200 change fee if I want to use the voucher again?
Old Mar 31, 2018, 3:07 am

Originally Posted by Jthompson4
Im doing a last minute trip and am having trouble getting the time off, can I lock in the fare by calling and not mailing it in if I don't get off or will I still be on the hook for a $200 change fee if I want to use the voucher again?
Well, if you don’t mail it in after calling, you can just go online and cancel. When you call in, the agent places the reservation in “ticket pending” status while they wait for the voucher to be received. No harm, no foul. I have done it many times.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 8:34 pm

deleted

Last edited by rrgg; Apr 2, 2018 at 6:19 pm Reason: deleted

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.