Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Transportation e- and paper Voucher / vouchers / "MCO" FAQ and master thread

Old Jun 13, 2013, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Transportation Voucher, "MCO" FAQ

Transportation eVouchers
Link to aa.com eVouchers Terms and Conditions page
Link to aa.com eVoucher page

General Information
Glossary: MCO - Miscellaneous Charges Order

AA issues e-vouchers to those in US 50 states, US Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico as of 28 Nov 2019. Printed green vouchers are still used for those residing elsewhere at this time.

Transportation vouchers issued by American Airlines or American Eagle are valid for travel on American Airlines, American Eagle and American Airlines codeshare flights (AA*).

These vouchers are also valid for travel on oneworld itineraries (including oneworld affiliates that must be booked as a codeshare flight marketed by a oneworld carrier) where American Airlines or American Airlines codeshare flights (AA*) is the international carrier.

Note: For oneworld itineraries, international flights are defined as transatlantic, transpacific and flights to and from South America. Flights to and from Alaska, Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, or Central America are not included.

Travel agents may accept American Airlines vouchers (042/043) for full or partial payment for a ticket as an "exchange" document/ticket. If the voucher is less than the ticket the additional monies are collected. If the voucher exceeds the ticket cost an MCO will be issued for the difference as a residual indicating non-refundable and for American Airlines transportation only. Valid one year from date of issue ((you must encumber the voucher before one year has expired since issuance*). There is no change fee / ASC associated with using a voucher. Updated 18 Feb 2015.)

The original post, provided by member IceTrojan, has been placed here so members can edit and update as necessary. Information below has not necessarily been updated; be aware.

FAQ: AA Vouchers

Q. How do vouchers work on AA?

They are treated just like cash towards valid purchases.

Q. What can I use the vouchers on?
  • Airfare on American Airlines (inc. American Eagle), codeshares, and oneworld itineraries where AA is the international/"governing" carrier.
  • 500-mile domestic upgrade stickers (at the airport only).
  • Co-payments for upgrades or reduced mileage awards.
  • Excess baggage fees.
  • Special handling fees (e.g. checked pets), with a traveling passenger (i.e. not cargo).
  • Change fees, provided an additional collection of the fare is also being made.
There are special considerations if you are located in the following countries (may not be up to date):
  • In the UK, Belgium, Germany and France, vouchers are accepted for Net fares.
  • In Switzerland, vouchers are accepted on Q and L class Net fares only.
  • In Ireland, vouchers are accepted in Q, O and L class Net fares only.
Q. Can I use American Airlines travel vouchers to purchase a vacation package from AAVacations?

Yes, travel vouchers can be used toward the American Airlines and American Eagle flight portion of your trip, but may not be used to purchase any of the non-flight components of your trip such as hotels, rental cars, transfers, activities or insurance. Travel vouchers are not currently accepted online, but may be redeemed by calling AAVacations at 1-800-489-4810.

Q. Can I use the vouchers for ANYTHING else?

No.

Q. Really?

Yes, really.

Q. Are there restrictions on purchasing airfare?

Unlike other airlines that place restrictions on certain fares/dates/times/routes, AA vouchers are just like cash, so you can use them to buy all fares that are available for purchase.

Q. How long do I have to use the vouchers?

One (1) year from date of issuance.

Q. I can't use my voucher in time. How can I extend the expiration date?
AA automatically extended the expiration of some vouchers in 2021. If your expiration date was between January 1, 2021 and May 31, 2021, the new expiration is March 31, 2022.

If you still need to extend the expiration, spend at least part it on any of its valid uses listed above. For example, pay for a cheap throwaway ticket, a speculative ticket, or a 500-mile upgrade certificate. Any unused amount will be sent to you as a new voucher with a new 1-year expiration date.

Q. What if I lose a voucher?

Sorry, you're out of luck. Treat your vouchers like cash.

Q. Can I use the vouchers to buy tickets for someone else?

While vouchers are non-transferable, you may buy a ticket in someone else's name, so long as you are the one presenting the voucher (either by phone or personally at a ticket counter/office). If someone else presents the voucher, the ticket MUST be issued in the name of that on the voucher.

Q. Is there a fee for using the vouchers?

It appears that ticketing at an airport ticket office is still subject to a charge of $30, unless you are EXP.

Note that if you are EXP, these "booking" fees are waived (and any Agent that tells you otherwise is wrong). (thanks SquareDanceGuy)

Note that if you have booked the ticket online and go to the airport to apply a voucher, there are no fees either, regardless of status. (thanks RogerD408)

Q. What happens to the taxes?

This depends on the type of voucher. The following voucher codes are exempt from some of the taxes: Basically, if you use these vouchers to pay for the whole cost of your fare, you will lower the overall costs as some of the taxes do not apply. (thanks uncle wiggly) If you make a partial payment with vouchers, then the associated taxes will likewise be reduced by the same proportional amount. (thanks marshall)

OU is the only voucher taxable, as it's issued against the unused portion of a ticket that has been exchanged (amongst other things). (thanks hillrider)

Q. What if the value of my vouchers exceed the value of my fare? Do I lose it? (thanks ffay005)

Unlike some* other airlines, you do NOT lose the residual value of your vouchers. If the residual value is more than $5, AA will mail you another voucher back as change, and this voucher is valid for one (1) year after its issuance. (thanks whynotfly) *golfmad added the word "some" based on post #440.

Q. How many vouchers can I use at one time?

According to one AAgent, nine (9) was the maximum number of vouchers accepted by the system.

Q. I bought AA tickets from a 3rd party (e.g., travel agent, internet travel site, Priceline/Hotwire). Can I use the vouchers retroactively?

No.
Q. How long does it take to process the vouchers?

After they receive the vouchers, AA will process them within 1-3 days, so it's really dependent on how long it takes the mail to arrive to Florida. AA reservations will accept the vouchers for a phone booking, if the reservation made is at least 12 days prior to departure. It's recommended that if you need to ticket within 2 weeks that you go directly to an Airport Ticket Office, which can process your voucher/s immediately.

Q. How do I apply vouchers to a reservation I have on hold on AA.com?
  1. Call Web Services at 1-800-222-2377 or 1-918-832-1384 (6:00 AM - 2:00 AM CT, 7 days a week). In the UK, call 08-45-601-0619 (8:30 AM - 5:00 PM UK time, Monday-Friday).
  2. Give them the PNR and tell them you would like to apply vouchers.
  3. They will give you instructions on how to send the vouchers in.
  4. Pay any balance with a credit card.
Q. What's the address where I send my vouchers to?
US: up-to-date in March 2021, UK: up-to-date in January 2022

American Airlines
M.D. 8A701
Fort Worth, TX 76155
USA

The return address for those in the UK and the rest of Europe, who have agreed to send their voucher(s) to AA in the UK, is:

American Airlines
100 Old Hall Street
The Plaza, 7th floor
Liverpool L3 9QJ
United Kingdom

On the envelope under the return address, write:
<Date of first flight, in DD Month format (e.g. 01 Jan)>

Attach a sticky note to the vouchers with the following details:
<First flight number, e.g. AA1234>
<Last name>
<Booking record locator, AKA booking reference>

(Notice: vouchers are not processed sequentially based on date of the voucher/s being received by AA, but rather on flight dates. Flights may show as "Ticket Pending" once the voucher has been applied, and at some time prior to flight (two weeks is usual) it will show "Ticketed" and you should be able to see your ticket number, beginning with "001", in your receipt from your itinerary at aa.com or in your e-Ticket. Also notice that you should photocopy your voucher/s prior to mailing them.)

Q. What if I entered a Business Extra number?

You will have to contact Business Extra to apply the vouchers. Their number is 1-800-433-1790, and they are available 5:00 AM - 12:00 PM, CT, 7 days a week.

Q. What if I live outside the United States and I want to use vouchers?

As the vouchers are in US Dollars, it's probably most convenient to call the US reservations number for a new booking denoted in US Dollars, thus avoiding any currency conversion, except any associated with your credit card. You can call your local reservations number or visit a local Airport Ticket Office (ATO). Beware that there's not a large network of ATOs.

In all likelihood, you will be asked to mail your voucher(s) to AA, so if time is of the essence, you should consider going directly to an ATO, who can process it/them immediately.

Obsolete posts from 2014-2015 have been archived to: ARCHIVE: Transportation Voucher / vouchers / "MCO" FAQ and master thread.
Older obsolete posts from 2013 and before, can be read in: ARCHIVE: Transportation Voucher / vouchers / "MCO" FAQ and master thread (consol.).
Print Wikipost

Transportation e- and paper Voucher / vouchers / "MCO" FAQ and master thread

Old Sep 14, 2018, 12:59 am

Programs: AA-EXP, National Exec. Elite, Hilton Gold, GE
I have a paper transportation voucher and a eVoucher that I'm trying to use. The EXP agent said that I cannot use both on the same PNR. I HUCA and got the same response. Is there any truth to that?
Old Sep 24, 2018, 8:54 pm

Taxes

Just spent 20 frustrating minutes with the EP desk trying to get them to contact the Rate Desk to get the taxes waived for a flight I reserved and plan to use vouchers to pay for. I got quite a lengthy lecture about how the United States government would never waive taxes, and how she did not have the ability to waive them. At one point she agreed to contract the Rate Desk and put me on hold. When she came back she said that instead of contracting the rate desk, she "did better than that" by contracting the EP/Concierge Key Help Desk, who confirmed that they can't waive the taxes. Then another lengthy lecture. She eventually told me there was nothing she could do, and she refused to contact the Rate Desk to ask. Any suggestions on what magic words I need to say to get them to figure this out? Or am I better off just sucking it up and making a trip to the airport?
Old Sep 25, 2018, 6:39 am

Programs: AA PLT, IHG Spire
In my experience the team that handles the paper vouchers in FL knows which taxes need to be waived and will calculate things correctly without upfront work by the EP desk. Its if you try to redeem the voucher at the airport that you might run into tax issues.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by mfabel
Just spent 20 frustrating minutes with the EP desk trying to get them to contact the Rate Desk to get the taxes waived for a flight I reserved and plan to use vouchers to pay for. I got quite a lengthy lecture about how the United States government would never waive taxes, and how she did not have the ability to waive them. At one point she agreed to contract the Rate Desk and put me on hold. When she came back she said that instead of contracting the rate desk, she "did better than that" by contracting the EP/Concierge Key Help Desk, who confirmed that they can't waive the taxes. Then another lengthy lecture. She eventually told me there was nothing she could do, and she refused to contact the Rate Desk to ask. Any suggestions on what magic words I need to say to get them to figure this out? Or am I better off just sucking it up and making a trip to the airport?
The magic word is HUCA. With luck the next agent will know how to process your request or better explain which vouchers get the taxes waived.

FYI, I've been told the directions are available to all agents via their computer but experience is many won't bother to look it up.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 11:36 am

Programs: AA PPRO, HH Diamond, National EE
Originally Posted by UAL1200
I have a paper transportation voucher and a eVoucher that I'm trying to use. The EXP agent said that I cannot use both on the same PNR. I HUCA and got the same response. Is there any truth to that?
Yes. I have never been able to use eVouchers and Paper together. Why? IDK seems like it should be possible but that's always been the case for me.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 8:10 am

I saw Lucky posted that electronic vouchers will finally be replacing paper in the coming weeks. I wonder what happens if you are currently holding a paper voucher and have residual value after using it. Will you be issued another paper voucher like always, or will you now receive an electronic?
Old Nov 5, 2018, 8:26 am

Originally Posted by slice
I saw Lucky posted that electronic vouchers will finally be replacing paper in the coming weeks. I wonder what happens if you are currently holding a paper voucher and have residual value after using it. Will you be issued another paper voucher like always, or will you now receive an electronic?
I was confused by his post, but he was referring to vouchers issued when you reticket something. If you have a voucher from being bumped it will still be paper.

"While this is initially being rolled out next week, I’m told that the rollout will continue into 2019, so you may still come across paper vouchers over the next year. At this time airport vouchers aren’t being transitioned to electronic. For example, this means that if you’re voluntarily denied boarding on a flight, you’ll continue to receive paper vouchers that you’ll have to redeem within a year either by mailing them in or by going to an airport ticketing desk."
Old Nov 7, 2018, 2:16 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, HHonors Diamond, AA ExPLT
Just grabbed $390 voucher (still paper as described above) to take a 3 hr delay at CLT. And I was supposed to be on a CR2, now flying on an A319 in the exit row so thats a nice little bonus. The couple times Ive used the paper vouchers they were easy to redeem. Not a bad Wednesday afternoon.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 6:34 am

If I use for voucher for either basic economy or main cabin and decide to cancel my flight, will I receive the fare back?
Old Dec 30, 2018, 7:41 am

Programs: AC SE100K, AA EXP, SPG Plt, HH Dmnd
An update on how ridiculous this process is:

Booked a flight with these paper vouchers over the phone after being hot-potato'd between EXP agents (none of whom wanted to deal with these).

Did not need to talk specifically to Business Extra Team, despite putting my BE# on res (or so I hope).

Agent charges the full price of the ticket to your credit card, you give agent voucher information over the phone and send the paper vouchers in, AND THEN a few days before your flight date AA will process the paper vouchers sent in as a credit to the payment method (as they said they do it in priority of upcoming flight dates, and Dec/Jan is a busy time).

That is, if you book months in advance you will have to wait months to know if your vouchers were even correctly accepted for a credit to your payment method.

Horrible, horrible process.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by kf2k3
If I use for voucher for either basic economy or main cabin and decide to cancel my flight, will I receive the fare back?
Depending upon the fare booked, fully refundable vs others. Refund should be in the same form as payment, voucher vs credit card.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 2:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
Can I use a voucher on a PNR that has tickets for my whole family (the voucher will not be sufficient to cover the cost of my ticket)? I am EXP and want everyone to get the benefits and also in the event of IRROPS.

Question 2: The voucher I have says ***OU*** on it. I’m assuming, based on the wiki, that means that there won’t be any tax adjustments and it will simply be used as a credit towards the ticket price. In that case, does it make sense for me to just go to airport to ticket the trip instead of mailing since there are no tax issues to be worried about? Airport is near my office and easy to get to. Thanks.

Last edited by HofstraJet; Jan 5, 2019 at 2:15 pm
Old Jan 5, 2019, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HofstraJet
Can I use a voucher on a PNR that has tickets for my whole family (the voucher will not be sufficient to cover the cost of my ticket)? I am EXP and want everyone to get the benefits and also in the event of IRROPS.

Question 2: The voucher I have says ***OU*** on it. Im assuming, based on the wiki, that means that there wont be any tax adjustments and it will simply be used as a credit towards the ticket price. In that case, does it make sense for me to just go to airport to ticket the trip instead of mailing since there are no tax issues to be worried about? Airport is near my office and easy to get to. Thanks.
Yes, you should be able to apply the voucher to the PNR without having to switch anything up.

2) It's sad the ticket agents don't want to process the vouchers when all the directions are available to them on their terminals. But I do understand wanting to deal with those that know what they are doing. Seeing your location is FLL/MIA, if north of FLL, there is still a city ticket office on Oakland Park Blvd in FLL that does seem to have voucher experienced agents and you don't have to mess with airport parking and all. If you do go to an airport, try to pick a slack time when they are not rushed to get flights out. You can check the airport website to see the departure schedule.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by HofstraJet

Question 2: The voucher I have says ***OU*** on it. Im assuming, based on the wiki, that means that there wont be any tax adjustments and it will simply be used as a credit towards the ticket price. In that case, does it make sense for me to just go to airport to ticket the trip instead of mailing since there are no tax issues to be worried about? Airport is near my office and easy to get to. Thanks.
Yes, you won't have a problem with it. I scored 4 vouchers for $800 each back in July when myself and 3 others in my family took a bump for a hefty pay day. I processed a couple of them a few months ago for a trip my wife and I are taking. I gave when one with my kid's name on it, and they didn't blink.

I'd highly recommend going to the airport. What I've done is put an itinerary on hold on the AA site, and then I'll go to the airport with the vouchers and the locator code and they'll do the processing.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 11:41 pm

I have read through the majority of this thread, and the answer to my question is not exactly clear. I recently cancelled/refunded an itinerary which was originally paid with 2x $100 paper vouchers and ~$200 by credit card.

Will the refund be issued as the 2x $100 vouchers and the credit card payment back to the original card? Since the original vouchers would now be long past their original expiry date, will the expiry dates be extended?

Thank you for any insight

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.