Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Find / track AA / US registration / "tail" number, flights (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 25, 2013, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
How to find the registration / "tail" number on AA (and other) planes and flights

Numbers commonly associated with commercial aircraft include:
  • Registration (or "Tail") Number (in the US, begin with "N"), which may change with aircraft ownership and certainly so if ownership is also a change of registration country, comparably to an automobile's license number. Some refer to this as a "tail number", though it is generally found on the aft portion of the fuselage under or near the tail, and some aircraft sport the fleet number on the actual tail.

• Fleet Number or "nose code", a shorter identifying code, that is normally associated with the Registration Number, often only two or three (alphanumeric) characters; it may reflect some of the registration numbers or not, and may include other information (e.g. "ETOPS"). This number would be analogous to a company's auto fleet number.

• Manufacturer's Serial Number: (MSN or msn) or Construction Number (cn or c/n), which is like an automobile's Vehicle Identification Number or VIN - this number is issued to the hull itself and does not change, from construction to wrecking yard (with very few exceptions, such as a rebuild from multiple aircrafts). This number will also often appear on an affixed plate within the fuselage. This is the "gold standard" for identifying a specific aircraft, as Registration Numbers can be assigned to more than one aircraft at different times.

• Line Number: The constructor / manufacturer also assigns a Line Number that represents the order in which it was built relative to others of the same model on the production line.
E.g. AA Boeing 777-223ER registered in the US as N761AJ carries a fleet number 7BW on the nose gear door and was issued the Construction Number 31478 by Boeing, and it is the 393rd 777 built by Boeing. In some databases or photo sites, this will be represented as "N761AJ / 7BW (cn 31478/393)".

AA shows the Reg number in the FIL in Sabre.

For aircraft you can see, the registration number is generally painted on the aft fuselage near or before the tail root (not on the tail). If you can not see that, the fleet number is usually painted on the nose wheel door. (If you have that, you can easily determine the aircraft registration number.)

The numbers are also on a small metal plate affixed to the bulkhead near the first port (left) door. (It's best not to look for and read this when boarding with a queue behind one .)

Various sites where the aircraft and flight data are archived or displayed are discussed in the ensuing posts.

Print Wikipost

Find / track AA / US registration / "tail" number, flights (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2007, 3:38 pm

Programs: AA-3MM-ExPLT
There are other threads about this - search for them, but here goes:

BTS uses the AA Tail #, because that's what AA gives the Gov, N<tail>AA as the aircraft but it's not the same as the actual N number.

For example:

Ship Actual N# Reported as
5TT N717TW N5TTAA
223 N223AA N223AA

BTS will eventually have every flight - it takes a couple of weeks to be reported & posted.

Acars is a loosely linked database of people who have radio receivers, sound cards, software, it's up and running and reports what it hears to a central database. So if the PC was down, or no messages were transmitted while the aircraft was in range, no data found.

-----Burton
Old Nov 5, 2007, 9:14 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by MikeTucson
Is there a way to get the tail number of an AA flight?
If it's one that you're actually on, you can just ask

Cheers.
Old Nov 5, 2007, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
How to get an AA Tail Number?

Become an AA airplane.

There may also be an employee tattoo procedure, but that it could be uncomfortable and is unlikely to enhance your social appeal (except perhaps on FT).

(Sorry, couldn't resist.)
Old Nov 6, 2007, 3:19 pm

Programs: GE, AA PLT/2.6MM, BR Gld, Royal Carib. DM+, Celebrity Elite, NCL PLT, Princess Elite
Originally Posted by brp
If it's one that you're actually on, you can just ask

Cheers.
I've discovered that US carriers don't like you to have that info for some (cough) security (cough) reason - WN being the exception since the tail number is on the outside bulkhead many times. Never mind that it is visible except for the catering truck in the way, etc. However, carriers in other countries don't seem at all to mind giving you that info. I once asked on a BA flight, and got a very nice note back from the flight deck crew with a lot of detailed info on it.
Old Nov 6, 2007, 5:19 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by ak333
I've discovered that US carriers don't like you to have that info for some (cough) security (cough) reason - WN being the exception since the tail number is on the outside bulkhead many times. Never mind that it is visible except for the catering truck in the way, etc. However, carriers in other countries don't seem at all to mind giving you that info. I once asked on a BA flight, and got a very nice note back from the flight deck crew with a lot of detailed info on it.
When the 767 upgrades were just starting, and there were only 4 or 5 a/c, I was on one of those and wanted the tail number. I asked the FA, and there was some suspicion as to why I wanted to know- it really isn't a common question. When I told here the reason she came back with the info.

Cheers.
Old Nov 7, 2007, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by ak333
The UK is the home of trainspotting, registration number spotting (back when the three letters indicated where the car was from) and other hobbies like that which people from most other places find a tad odd. Chances are a BA flight crew, even if they're not personally into planespotting, would know of it and find it inside the bounds of normality.
Old Nov 7, 2007, 11:01 am

Programs: GE, AA PLT/2.6MM, BR Gld, Royal Carib. DM+, Celebrity Elite, NCL PLT, Princess Elite
Originally Posted by Efrem
The UK is the home of trainspotting, registration number spotting (back when the three letters indicated where the car was from) and other hobbies like that which people from most other places find a tad odd. Chances are a BA flight crew, even if they're not personally into planespotting, would know of it and find it inside the bounds of normality.
In the back of my mind I knew that. I just like to keep track of all the aircraft that I fly. I know some plane spotters, most seem normal.
Old Nov 7, 2007, 8:14 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM
Originally Posted by Efrem
Back in September I was flying out of LHR and used the ACARS website to find out the 777 with new business seats was in town. When I asked the Flagship agent where tail number N781AN was going, I was very rudely told it was none of my business and I shouldn't be asking such sensitive security questions. When I explained the reasoning behind my request I was told Heathrow only sees 777 aircraft and they won't be installing new seats on them - only the 763s.

An hour later as I was leaving someone else was at the desk and a printed list of the day's departures with tail numbers was sitting there. I was able to easily read the paperwork, albeit upside down. Sadly, N781AN and I weren't going to the same place.
Old Jan 10, 2008, 12:01 am

Programs: QPNB, MH, BI, VA | Le Club Gold
American Eagle tail number request

Hi everyone,

Not sure if this post is in the right forum, however...

I keep a log of all of my daughter's flights (she's 22 months old) on flightmemory.com

On a trip to US/Canada/Europe last year, I managed to get all of the aircraft registrations or tail numbers, except two American Eagle flights. If anyone can help with the tail numbers for the two sectors below, I'd be most appreciative.

02 Jan 2007 LGA/YYZ AA4848
10 Jan 2007 YYZ/JFK AA4768

Thanks.
Old Jan 10, 2008, 12:22 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM
You can get tail numbers from the Bureau of Travel Statistics here: http://www.bts.gov/programs/airline_...me_statistics/

Unfortunately, it appears to only track domestic flights. Do you remember where the aircraft was headed after it arrived in JFK?
Old Jan 10, 2008, 12:55 am

Programs: QPNB, MH, BI, VA | Le Club Gold
Unfortunately, no.

I usually pay more attention, but we had to connect to a Finnair flight from a different terminal, and there was a bit of commotion due to a power outage in one of the terminals.

Thanks for the bts link ^ That's a really useful resource for the future.
Old Jan 10, 2008, 6:09 am

Programs: CO Gold, UA Premier Exec
AA's computer system (DECS) doesn't have tail number info for a year ago. Sorry
Old Jan 11, 2008, 5:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 3.5 MM Miles, HH Diamond
Tail Number While in Fight?

Do any of the flight tracker web sites give you the tail number of the plane making the flight, while the flight is still in the air?

The ones listed here are all historical.

Robert
Old Jan 12, 2008, 12:00 am

Originally Posted by MikeTucson
Is there a way to get the tail number of an AA flight?
If you know where to look.
Old Jan 12, 2008, 8:58 am

Programs: AA PLT (2MM+); Steerage in most other airline programs; SPG GLD; heckuva guy
How to get an AA Tail Number...

...Buy it a drink?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.