Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

MPM / Maximum Permitted Mileage & Ticketed Point Deductions (merged threads)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 27, 2015, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

Award routing is subject to "MPM" of 25% - Maximum Permitted Miles, meaning you can only book an award routing that does not exceed available direct routing by 25%.

● The routing must also be a valid routing (published through fare) on the governing / longhaul carrier's routes.

● "Ticketed Point Deductions" on some routings may extend MPM.

● USA stopovers at port of entry or departure for awards have been eliminated (e.g. LHR-LAX <stop> ORD is no longer valid).
Print Wikipost

MPM / Maximum Permitted Mileage & Ticketed Point Deductions (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2012, 10:50 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by arcticbull
As for charging you more, that would be a violation of the DoT rules pertaining to post-ticketing increases in fare. Once you have an eTicket number, even if it was a mistake, you're safe.
Are you sure?
Old Aug 17, 2012, 10:54 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K
Originally Posted by Austinrunner
Are you sure?
In January, the DOT prohibited airlines from increasing the price of air transportation after a purchase was made. The concern originated with airlines imposing new baggage fees retroactively on consumers already ticketed. But the DOT also included airline “mistake fares’’ in Section 399.88(a), saying that once a confirmation is issued, “the seller of the air transportation cannot increase the price of that air transportation to that consumer, even when the fare is a “mistake.’’’ The rule applies to frequent-flier tickets as well, DOT said, and airlines can’t circumvent the rule by writing an exception into their “contract of carriage” — the legal rules that they apply to tickets.

A purchase occurs when the full amount agreed upon has been paid by the consumer. Therefore, if
a consumer purchases a fare and that consumer receives confirmation (such as a confirmation email and/or
the purchase appears on their credit card statement or online account summary) of their purchase, then the
seller of air transportation cannot increase the price of that air transportation to that consumer, even when the
fare is a “mistake.”

My bold.

Receiving a ticket number is not listed as confirmation, the requirement appears to be less stringent than that.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 11:04 pm
Suspended

Your source is what? A blog that merely recounts an unresolved controversy involving UA?

Last edited by Austinrunner; Aug 17, 2012 at 11:13 pm
Old Aug 17, 2012, 11:13 pm

Your source is what? A blog that merely recounts the controversy without citing anything?
The blog (which is on the WSJ website and written by the WSJ Travel Editor) cites DOT for the words I bolded. As is usually true when a paper like the Journal uses the word "said," I assumed he spoke with someone at DOT, despite it only being a blog post and not an article published in print.

The second quote comes directly from the Department of Transportation Office of Aviation Enforcement and Proceedings.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 4:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP,AS MVPG,MR Platinum,HH Gold
Your source is what? A blog that merely recounts an unresolved controversy involving UA?
That's obviously still ongoing, but the argument being made there is that the price quoted on the confirmation page was the full amount of miles required, and that it was also shown on the award chart, and both lined up. The only place it was different was at the very last step, where it showed 4 miles. We'll see what happens. But it's pretty clearly a different situation.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by arcticbull
That's obviously still ongoing, but the argument being made there is that the price quoted on the confirmation page was the full amount of miles required, and that it was also shown on the award chart, and both lined up. The only place it was different was at the very last step, where it showed 4 miles. We'll see what happens. But it's pretty clearly a different situation.
While obviously a different situation, the reason I quoted it was to explain the DOT regulations in response to Austinrunner's request for clarification as relevant to this thread.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 5:15 pm
Suspended

What someone at the Department of Transportation allegedly said to a blog author has little to do with what a DOT regulation means officially.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 5:51 pm

What someone at the Department of Transportation allegedly said to a blog author has little to do with what a DOT regulation means officially.
Okay, fair. In the same official DOT publication I quoted earlier I've found a relevant passage.

In the case of an award ticket, the full fare would be the total amount of miles a consumer needs to redeem
an award ticket plus any monetary amount the consumer must pay in order to redeem the award ticket.
Therefore, the mileage amount and the cash amount must be in equal prominence in the display, as they are
both components of the full fare. The monetary amount must include any mandatory charge that the carrier
imposes in order to redeem the award amount, including service/processing charges, taxes, and fees.
A purchase occurs when the full amount agreed upon has been paid by the consumer. Therefore, if
a consumer purchases a fare and that consumer receives confirmation (such as a confirmation email and/or
the purchase appears on their credit card statement or online account summary) of their purchase, then the
seller of air transportation cannot increase the price of that air transportation to that consumer, even when the
fare is a “mistake.”
Old Aug 18, 2012, 9:41 pm
Suspended

You're taking passages out of context and attempting to synthesize a result, which is a very risky thing to do legally. Aside from that, you're not quoting the actual regulation. That's what matters.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 9:49 am

[help]hkg-jfk-sfo

The AA representative who is helping me on the phone doesn't understand their own rules. I know having a JFK stop over may lie in the "not the most direct route" category, but that isn't the problem. The AA supervisor is telling me no stop over is allowed at all...what happens here?
Old Aug 21, 2012, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

If HKG-JFK-SFO is bookable as a single award, then a stopover at JFK is allowed; if HKG-JFK-SFO is only bookable as two separate awards, then you can also stop over at JFK: you just have to pay extra for the JFK-SFO award.

Whether HKG-JFK-SFO is bookable as a single award depends on whether CX (the over-water carrier) permits such a routing on any of their published through-fares for HKG-SFO.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 10:25 am

OK. After being put on hold for 30 minutes, AA is finally saying something I can understand. Apparently the MPM is 10300 for this route and a stop over in JFK will put this at 10600...I mean, does CX do this on purpose? coz for 300 miles that will totally ruin my plan.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

If HKG-JFK-SFO is bookable as a single award, then a stopover at JFK is allowed; if HKG-JFK-SFO is only bookable as two separate awards, then you can also stop over at JFK: you just have to pay extra for the JFK-SFO award.

Whether HKG-JFK-SFO is bookable as a single award depends on whether CX (the over-water carrier) permits such a routing on any of their published through-fares for HKG-SFO.
Do you think if I find a destination closer to the west coast and that is bookable as one award and then I book revenue tickets to complete the route. Would this be a good plan? I know this sounds crazy but I am trying to maximize my award in F and this might even allow me to visit one more city in the US!
Old Aug 21, 2012, 10:41 am
Suspended

As we've talked about during the last couple weeks, HKG -> JFK -> LAX is allowed but
HKG -> JFK -> SFO is not.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold

Originally Posted by gbsaco
Originally Posted by guv1976

Do you think if I find a destination closer to the west coast and that is bookable as one award and then I book revenue tickets to complete the route. Would this be a good plan? I know this sounds crazy but I am trying to maximize my award in F and this might even allow me to visit one more city in the US!
In addition to HKG-JFK-SFO, you might ask whether HKG-JFK-LAS/SAN would be allowed, if you would prefer to visit either of those cities over LAX. Note, however, that the First Class offered on AA's three-class JFK-LAX flights will be superior to that offered on JFK-LAS/SAN.

There might be other western destinations (like PHX, TUS, RNO, SLC, etc.) that might allow for a stopover in NYC, but getting from NYC to those destinations would require at least one stop en route.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.