Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Cancelling Citi AA AAdvantage Card / Retention Bonus (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cancelling Citi AA AAdvantage Card / Retention Bonus (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2015, 11:00 am

Originally Posted by normcpa
Had this granted last May. Will I be offered something similar this coming May (or October when the 16 months are over), or is it a one- shot?
Originally Posted by BlueCat1105
I just got this deal as well. The CSR mentioned that it was a one-time credit; has anyone ever done this more than once, or are we sunk after year 2? Thanks!
Me too with the question - has anybody found out whether these/comparable deals (statement credits, double-miles or significant bonuses on purchases, etc.) have been offered for retention at the end of year 2?

Last edited by songbird; Mar 31, 2015 at 11:05 am Reason: clarity
Old Mar 31, 2015, 11:36 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanuim/Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Gold, United Silver
I had the annual fee waived for the third year and also was offered a bonus on spend each month but don't remember for how many months.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 11:53 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA (Gold), Alaska MVP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, SPG Gold,
Third year for me too.
Old Apr 16, 2016, 7:04 pm

Programs: DL, UA, AA, B6, BA (airline status-free leisure traveler), Hilton Diamond
$95 credit and 1,000 miles/month for $1,000 spend

I called Citi today to say that I did not want to pay an AF on their card and the Barclay's AA card to accumulate AA miles.

They offered me a $95 statement credit and 1,000 bonus miles for each month that I had $1,000 in charges for 16 months.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 5:51 pm

Citibank personal and business retention

Last year I got this offer: Spend $1000 a month for 18 months and we'll give you 1000 miles a month. This year they only offered to waive the $95 fee if I spent $95. So a no brainer for the next 6 months.

Signed up on a Citi Business platinum card last year. Called about retention offers last month and was told I could do either: Spend $5000 and get 10000 bonus points or Spend $2500/mo. and get 2500 bonus points for 16 cycles. Called today and the retention offers were: Spend $95 and have annual fee refunded or spend $1000 for 3 months and get 7500 points. I took the spend $95 and get fee waived. The original offer of 2500 bonus points was attractive, but I decided that instead of spending $30000 on this one card there are better options.
Old May 16, 2017, 3:00 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LT Gold, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by loomis
They offered me a $95 statement credit and 1,000 bonus miles for each month that I had $1,000 in charges for 16 months.
Two years ago got the 1,000 bonus miles/>$1,000 in charges for 16 months. Last year only got the $95 credit for spending $95. This year got both, though only 12 months of 1,000 bonus miles/>$1,000 spending. Worth keeping another year.
Old May 17, 2017, 12:52 am

Programs: United Premier Platinum
Has anyone had luck getting offers/retention bonuses on the Citi AA World Elite MC?

If so, of what sort?
Old May 17, 2017, 2:30 am

Programs: AAdvantage (Platinum)
There's a retention thread in the Citi credit card forum that also covers AA cards and has more recent and frequent reports. This thread is essentially redundant to taht one
Old May 17, 2017, 7:03 am

Programs: DL PM, 2+MM, AA Gold 1+MM, HH Diamond, MHG Silver,
Originally Posted by mcrw00
Has anyone had luck getting offers/retention bonuses on the Citi AA World Elite MC?

If so, of what sort?
I called to cancel in November of '16 (card was up for renewal that month). They offered miles (which I passed on due to a large balance that I can't find award seats to use - but that's another subject...).

They then offered a cash credit of $250 if I hit a spend target of $3K per month for 3 months. I had the girl repeat the offer back and she changed the details each time she repeated it, first the target was $3K total over 3 months, then $3K PER month.

Fortunately after going around in circles a few times, I asked that she email and snail mail me the details in writing (smart move!). The final version of the offer was $3K spend target for 3 months and a $250 credit PER month for the first 3 months. Keep in mind that the annual fee is $450 - so I agreed and hit the targets. It took a couple of phone calls and escalation to a supervisor, but the full $750 credit posted. In effect Citi paid ME $300 to use the card for a year!

Good luck - but if you accept a retention bonus, be sure you get whatever is offered in writing.
Old May 17, 2017, 7:06 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA LT Gold, SPG Plat 75
Originally Posted by lov2fly
I called to cancel in November of '16 (card was up for renewal that month). They offered miles (which I passed on due to a large balance that I can't find award seats to use - but that's another subject...).

They then offered a cash credit of $250 if I hit a spend target of $3K per month for 3 months. I had the girl repeat the offer back and she changed the details each time she repeated it, first the target was $3K total over 3 months, then $3K PER month.

Fortunately after going around in circles a few times, I asked that she email and snail mail me the details in writing (smart move!). The final version of the offer was $3K spend target for 3 months and a $250 credit PER month for the first 3 months. Keep in mind that the annual fee is $450 - so I agreed and hit the targets. It took a couple of phone calls and escalation to a supervisor, but the full $750 credit posted. In effect Citi paid ME $300 to use the card for a year!

Good luck - but if you accept a retention bonus, be sure you get whatever is offered in writing.
wow that's a better offer than I got, which was spend $5k/month for 3 months and get $450 fee refunded. I thought my offer was good but yours blows it out of the water.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.