Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

American Eagle ERJ-145 / ER4 Seating Advice / Best Seats (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

American Eagle ERJ-145 / ER4 Seating Advice / Best Seats (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2019, 7:18 pm

Programs: AA, Amex
I get it - turbulence can be a weird and disconcerting sensation. But you can get turbulence on planes big and small, so it doesn't make any sense to me to be chasing other aircraft or especially a three hour drive before even getting on a plane.

Think of it this way - short flight = over with quicker and less time to worry about it or run into any turbulence
Old Oct 1, 2019, 7:31 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat
Shorter flight + no seatmate on the A side = no brainer. Yes, the 145 isn't ideal but that A side makes up for a lot...
Old Oct 1, 2019, 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by PHL
I detest the E145 so much that instead of booking PHL-AVL plus a 40 minute drive to my destination, I opted for PHL-CLT on an A330-200 in PE(with possible upgrade to lie flat business for a whopping 1:15 flight) and a 1:40 drive to my destination.
What do you detest so much about it?
Old Oct 1, 2019, 7:48 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, WN, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Silver, HY, Global Entry
Originally Posted by elektrobank
Thanks, that is very helpful. I don't have vertigo, but what I experience during turbulence is not normal and it's not an irrational fear that I'm going to die or something, it's purely the discomfort/panic I feel from turbulence. Even the slightest bit of turbulence to me feels like the airplane is dropping or being tossed around, even though it's probably barely shaking. The slightest elevation changes often feels like the plane is in free fall to me. Light chop that most people don't even notice feels like moderate/severe to me. I have to have a window seat just so I can look outside during turbulence and see that the plane isn't actually dropping out of the sky. I've tried many fear of flying courses, took flying lessons, hypnosis, and even pills and nothing helped, and it just gets worse.

This only started happening to me as an adult. When I was younger I didn't even notice turbulence. But when the flight is smooth I have no problem at all flying. My main concern was whether I would feel or even just perceive turbulence to be stronger in a smaller plane. I agree with your point and the others and will have to just chance it on this flight because the other options aren't great either.
The sensation you describe sounds the same as what I experience where the effect of the turbulence is much higher for me than for other people. I did not know what caused it either until it suddenly got worse causing me to go to an ear, nose and throat doctor. I was lucky to get an old Navy doctor with a lot of experience on this topic. The diagnosis was a very simple process. He had me sit on a table and leaned my body in different directions while looking in my eyes. He was able to trigger the vertigo, which apparently causes your eyes to react in a way you can't control. I had the most common cause of vertigo, called BPPV. Basically there are little calcium crystals inside the fluid in the cochlea (balance organ) inside your ear. If something makes them bump around in there and float away from their normal resting position, it sends confusing signals to your brain. By looking outside, your brain overcomes and ignores the confusing signals. It felt so much better to understand what caused the problem. Not saying this is what you have, but it is a possibility to consider. It is rare in children and fairly common in adults.
Old Oct 1, 2019, 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by PHL
You would absolutely feel even light choppy turbulence on an E145 and likely barely at all on a larger plane.
Really? I hear mixed things. Some people say that, but others say it won't really feel any different than a larger plane when going through turbulence. I would drive an extra 3 hours to avoid a more turbulent flight if that were the case. One bad flight can make me stop flying for a looooong time.
Old Oct 1, 2019, 8:14 pm

Programs: AAdvantage LT GLD 1.806MM
Here's a good video describing the different types of turbulence and whether turbulence is dangerous.

Also, you can check the turbulence forecast closer to the date of your flight to see generally what to expect.

https://www.turbulenceforecast.com/

Hope this helps!
catawba likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2019, 8:50 pm

I'm neither a pilot nor a scientist, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. As I understand it, all else being equal:

- Get a seat close to the center of lift and gravity. It'll be less bumpy. Generally speaking, that's over the wing or a little forward. Definitely not at the back.
- Generally speaking, larger planes will have gentler takeoffs, climb more gradually, and be less susceptible to wake and other turbulence.
- As folks wrote above, there are many other factors at play.

And I'd take the RJ flight, no question. Less driving, no connection, and the single seat is nice.
GrumpyYoungMan and catawba like this.
Old Oct 2, 2019, 12:02 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond, BonVoy Gold, BW Diamond, RR Premium
I fly them quite often here in Podunkity. I don't mind them at all. NO problems whatsoever with turbulence. I live in flyover country and fly from Oklahoma into DFW on them. As others have said, it does depend where you live. If you are in a place like southern NM/ AZ, turbulence is likely to happen on any aircraft. ERJ 140/145s are small, but those single seats are nice. You have a window AND an aisle. The other side is fine too. They are fast to load and unload. You will have to valet check anything that won't fit under a seat. The overhead is very small and pretty much only holds what fits under a seat. It's no frills, but it saves me a 3 hour drive to DFW with all the traffic and expensive parking that comes with it. Worth it most of the time.
Sweetone and catawba like this.
Old Oct 2, 2019, 12:33 am

Programs: AA EXP, 2MM, HH Diamond
In my experience a lot of turbulence happens on takeoff and landing, especially if the weather is unstable. So the last thing I would do is to double my chances of such turbulence by booking a connection, even on a larger plane.
catawba likes this.
Old Oct 2, 2019, 5:49 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Turbulence per say doesn't bother me but it's severity somehow seems to be always tied to my bladder needs. There are some fairly long E145 routes out of MIA. I usually opted for a connection in CLT. 2.5 hours-3 hours in an E145 way to much. Now the E175, that's a sweet ride up front.
Old Oct 2, 2019, 6:34 am

Programs: HHonors Gold BAEC Avios Marriott Gold
An E-145 was good enough for the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and their children recently see https://metro.co.uk/2019/08/24/flybe...nomy-10625866/
Old Oct 2, 2019, 8:36 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
I actually prefer the E145 over the Boeing and Airbus narrowbodies, especially if a single side seat is available. In my experience turbulence is caused by stormy weather and this affects larger aircraft as well as regional planes. If I were the OP, I'd book the E145 flight and pick a single side seat over the wing.
Old Oct 2, 2019, 8:44 am
JTK

Programs: AAdvantage EP
As others have said, turbulence depends on where you fly. The two worst turbulent flights I had were both on a 777. One time flying out of NRT (we dropped like a stone and FA had to hang on) and flying into NRT in a snow storm. I think that was my only white knuckle landing I have ever had. I have flown the ERJs and have not experience as much turbulence. The only time I can remember turbulence on a small plane was a SABE flight from Palm Springs to LAX over the mountains.
Old Oct 2, 2019, 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
Turbulence per say doesn't bother me but it's severity somehow seems to be always tied to my bladder needs. There are some fairly long E145 routes out of MIA. I usually opted for a connection in CLT. 2.5 hours-3 hours in an E145 way to much. Now the E175, that's a sweet ride up front.
I've been in a E175, up front, it was a very nice flight. Is the E145 going feel pretty similar, or a much different ride? I don't care about seat comfort or frills, I just care how smooth the ride was. I always get an exit row, so leg room isn't an issue. I just care whether these planes feel shakier, are scarier to fly for people who are bad flying, or feel pretty much the same an an Airbus?

Like if you were in a boat in choppy waters, you'd probably feel better being in a larger boat, even if rocked the boat the same amount.

Thanks!
Old Oct 2, 2019, 1:26 pm

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
Originally Posted by elektrobank
I've been in a E175, up front, it was a very nice flight. Is the E145 going feel pretty similar, or a much different ride? I don't care about seat comfort or frills, I just care how smooth the ride was. I always get an exit row, so leg room isn't an issue. I just care whether these planes feel shakier, are scarier to fly for people who are bad flying, or feel pretty much the same an an Airbus?

Like if you were in a boat in choppy waters, you'd probably feel better being in a larger boat, even if rocked the boat the same amount.

Thanks!

The E175 up front is much much nicer than the E145.

E135/E145 have no first class and they feel real old and dated. There also is only the exit row for MCE.

But as far as turbulence, I always seem to feel it most on A321s for some reason. Half my legs the last few years have been on a E135 and the only time I feel turbulence is when you are riding through rising clouds, but can't say it feel any more severe than any other jet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.