Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

American Eagle ERJ-145 / ER4 Seating Advice / Best Seats (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

American Eagle ERJ-145 / ER4 Seating Advice / Best Seats (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2019, 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by beachfan
I’m not a nervous flyer , but I’m a realistic driver. Your odds of survival are far lower on the drive 2 hour drive option.

Your odds of turbulence is roughly double when taking 2 flights (for 3.5 hours) over a single flight. Plus takeoff/landing is (I think) the most dangerous part of the flight, so odds of a crash are higher on a connecting flight (although still an order of magnitude safer than the drive 2 hour option)

no brainer for me, and I think most nervous flyers would prefer the shortest time in the air.
I'm not afraid I'm going to die. Turbulence is just terribly uncomfortable and nerve wracking for me. Whatever is going to provide the smoothest possible flight, even if it's longer, is preferable to me.
Old Oct 1, 2019, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by elektrobank
I'm not afraid I'm going to die. Turbulence is just terribly uncomfortable and nerve wracking for me. Whatever is going to provide the smoothest possible flight, even if it's longer, is preferable to me.
It's impossible to say one way or the other whether 2 flights on larger aircraft would be smoother than one on a smaller ERJ. All comes down to weather conditions on your day of travel, flight patterns, etc. etc. I've flown tons of ERJ flights and never found turbulence to be noticeably worse than larger aircraft.

If you're a nervous flyer, I would never book 2 flights vs. one for the sole purpose of hopefully having a smoother flight, as again its completely unpredictable.
Old Oct 1, 2019, 5:06 pm

Programs: DL Silver - uh huh!
Turbulence is known to be more likely over certain types of terrain (such as mountainous areas). And in some places, turbulence is more likely certain times of year than others.

You can try to minimize those factors. Otherwise, the effects generally are not as bad at the front of the plane as at the rear, so book your seat over or in front of the wing.
Old Oct 1, 2019, 5:11 pm

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
Originally Posted by Kamalaasaa
Turbulence is known to be more likely over certain types of terrain (such as mountainous areas). And in some places, turbulence is more likely certain times of year than others.

You can try to minimize those factors. Otherwise, the effects generally are not as bad at the front of the plane as at the rear, so book your seat over or in front of the wing.
This. Another way to minimize the threat of turbulence is to fly in the morning. If the direct AA flight is in the morning, this is a no-brainer.
C17PSGR, MathMusic and atbPy like this.
Old Oct 1, 2019, 5:13 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
I was recently on a DL flight on a 767 and there was what felt like a 15 seconds free fall. The whole cabin panicked and some people shrieked in fear.

If there is turbulence you will freak out regardless of aircraft.

Either drive all the way or take the non-stop.
Old Oct 1, 2019, 5:24 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
The biggest factor in turbulence will be weather en route, time of day (more turbulence ata the end of the day because the earth i warming), terrain, and winds at landing.

The aircraft would be far less important than those four..
Old Oct 1, 2019, 5:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
While I hate the -145's, the notion of connecting onto maineline aircraft is not that enticing. Unless DL offers D1 service on your routing (not likely from the clues you offer), it is hardly going to be comfortable either way.
Old Oct 1, 2019, 6:03 pm

Programs: DL Silver - uh huh!
Originally Posted by Often1
Unless DL offers D1 service on your routing (not likely from the clues you offer), it is hardly going to be comfortable either way.
One nice thing about the 145s is there is only one seat on the left, so you can have an aisle AND a window seat!
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2019, 6:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
I don’t mind the E140/145s.....the single seats are awesome, the windows are bigger and better aligned for your neck to look outside.
enviroian, Abidjan, cmd320 and 3 others like this.
Old Oct 1, 2019, 6:10 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, WN, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Silver, HY, Global Entry
I have vertigo in one of my ears, so turbulence affects me pretty bad to a point where I can get really dizzy and feel like I am spinning. I try really hard to fly in a window seat because it helps me to look out the window and see the horizon. I have flown many times on the regional jets over the years and have found them to be no worse than the larger jets. Like people said, the best thing is to fly early in the day before afternoon warming. And crossing the edges of mountain ranges, like in Colorado, can be really rough. I avoid Phoenix and Vegas in the afternoon in the summer as you get the worst of both together. As far as turbulence in-flight, longer flights usually have an easier time taking routes that avoid turbulence, whereas short flights can't go as far out of the way. If weather gets really bad, there is a greater tendency for them to cancel the regional jets, but in that case, at least you didn't have to fly in the bad weather.

If it were me, I would take the regional jet, and get a window seat over the wing if possible. Good luck!
Old Oct 1, 2019, 6:11 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Turbulence will be feel worse on smaller aircraft. But we are getting into the quiet season. So the odds are slim.

The worst choice would be the DL connection as that puts you at risk twice.

If you are super afraid/upset, then the Jet Blue option would work best. If it is something you just really do not like but can survive, then the AA would be my choice.
Old Oct 1, 2019, 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by catawba
I have vertigo in one of my ears, so turbulence affects me pretty bad to a point where I can get really dizzy and feel like I am spinning. I try really hard to fly in a window seat because it helps me to look out the window and see the horizon. I have flown many times on the regional jets over the years and have found them to be no worse than the larger jets. Like people said, the best thing is to fly early in the day before afternoon warming. And crossing the edges of mountain ranges, like in Colorado, can be really rough. I avoid Phoenix and Vegas in the afternoon in the summer as you get the worst of both together. As far as turbulence in-flight, longer flights usually have an easier time taking routes that avoid turbulence, whereas short flights can't go as far out of the way. If weather gets really bad, there is a greater tendency for them to cancel the regional jets, but in that case, at least you didn't have to fly in the bad weather.

If it were me, I would take the regional jet, and get a window seat over the wing if possible. Good luck!
Thanks, that is very helpful. I don't have vertigo, but what I experience during turbulence is not normal and it's not an irrational fear that I'm going to die or something, it's purely the discomfort/panic I feel from turbulence. Even the slightest bit of turbulence to me feels like the airplane is dropping or being tossed around, even though it's probably barely shaking. The slightest elevation changes often feels like the plane is in free fall to me. Light chop that most people don't even notice feels like moderate/severe to me. I have to have a window seat just so I can look outside during turbulence and see that the plane isn't actually dropping out of the sky. I've tried many fear of flying courses, took flying lessons, hypnosis, and even pills and nothing helped, and it just gets worse.

This only started happening to me as an adult. When I was younger I didn't even notice turbulence. But when the flight is smooth I have no problem at all flying. My main concern was whether I would feel or even just perceive turbulence to be stronger in a smaller plane. I agree with your point and the others and will have to just chance it on this flight because the other options aren't great either.
EuropeanPete and catawba like this.
Old Oct 1, 2019, 7:09 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
I detest the E145 so much that instead of booking PHL-AVL plus a 40 minute drive to my destination, I opted for PHL-CLT on an A330-200 in PE(with possible upgrade to lie flat business for a whopping 1:15 flight) and a 1:40 drive to my destination.
Old Oct 1, 2019, 7:11 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by elektrobank
My main concern was whether I would feel or even just perceive turbulence to be stronger in a smaller plane. I agree with your point and the others and will have to just chance it on this flight because the other options aren't great either.
You would absolutely feel even light choppy turbulence on an E145 and likely barely at all on a larger plane.
Old Oct 1, 2019, 7:15 pm

Personally I'd take the 2 hour direct flight on the 145 than double my flight time and risk a connection. They're not that bad of a plane unless you're tall or large. Get a seat on the A side over the wings if you're worried about turbulence.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.