Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Finnair / AY: Earning AA Miles, Loyalty Points Questions (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 25, 2019, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Flying Finnair: Earning EQM, EQD, EQS, Bonus & Award Miles and Related Issues

Link to Finnair partner page on aa.com

To earn AAdvantage® miles when you fly on Finnair marketed and operated flights as well as Iberia codeshare flights operated by oneworld® carriers and affiliates:
  • Buy an eligible published fare ticket in an eligible booking code
  • Fly an eligible route
AFFILIATE AIRLINES
  • Norra
On most flights marketed by partner airlines, you earn award miles based on a percentage of the flight distance and the fare class of your ticket. Specific flights, routes or cities that are excluded from earning miles or award travel are listed as exceptions if applicable.

Most economy fares assign 25% or 50% of base miles flown to calculate EQM earnings.

NOTE: AA Joint Business Venture partners AY, BA, IB, JL now earn up to 3 EQM per flown mile, along with American Airlines. See the earning chart linked to above.

EQ Dollars are earned as a percentage of miles flown determined by fare class.

Finnair marketed (“codeshare”) flights must be operated by a oneworld® or affiliate airline to earn AAdvantage miles. The ticketing or selling carrier or agent is immaterial to earnings.

It is always advised to try to assure your AA Frequent Flyer Number is on your boarding passes, and we always advise retaining your boarding passes (or take screen shots of e-boarding passes) until your instruments have all posted.

Also see: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...-partners.html
Print Wikipost

Finnair / AY: Earning AA Miles, Loyalty Points Questions (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2019, 7:55 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by joe_miami
Thanks. I wasn’t sure if that YYZ-JFK segment earned 20% of 366 flown miles or 20% of the 500-mile minimum. If it’s the latter, I’ll be $73 EQD short of ExPlat when the trip is over (which I’ll earn a week later).
Now that I think about it again, I think you are right that the EQD might be calculated based on the actual miles flown. The 500-mile guarantee is only for EQM. I've always credited my AY flights to AY+, so I don't have firsthand experience on how the YYZ-JFK flight will credit to AA.
GTITAN likes this.

Last edited by flyingeph12; Oct 3, 2019 at 8:05 pm Reason: Update answer.
Old Oct 4, 2019, 5:51 am

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
Originally Posted by flyingeph12
Now that I think about it again, I think you are right that the EQD might be calculated based on the actual miles flown. The 500-mile guarantee is only for EQM. I've always credited my AY flights to AY+, so I don't have firsthand experience on how the YYZ-JFK flight will credit to AA.
If the flight is AY marketed, it will be .20 * actual miles flown. EQD does not consider the minimum EQM because well its AA's rules and we play by them

Safe Travels
joe_miami likes this.

Last edited by GTITAN; Oct 4, 2019 at 5:58 am
Old Oct 7, 2019, 10:21 am

Adding one datapoint here: I booked AY/BA flights HEL-SFO/SFO-LHR-HEL in July. All other flights credited in a few days but SFO-LHR did not.

Since I bought from AY the flight was sold as "AY5524" with booking code E and actually flown by BA as BA284 in WorldTravellerPlus/Premium Economy, i.e. similar situation as mentioned already in this topic.

I requested miles/clarification a couple of times through web form and it took AA a couple of months so answer and request the same details that I'd provided already with my submission. Responed with a lot of details today.

Anyway, I called on another matter the AAdvantage line and had a great agent. Mentioned this case too, she reviewed my request and emails and said it was not clear to her either and she'd requested a review on it. And a couple of hours later saw the miles posted

AY sold E fare and BA operated finally posted as AY Y so not the 1.5x I was hoping for but did get them anyway.

Will be interesting to see if they update the AY partner page.
enpremiere likes this.

Last edited by mellimies; Oct 7, 2019 at 10:45 am Reason: typo AA->AY
Old Oct 22, 2019, 2:14 am
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Finished flying YYZ-JFK-HEL-HKG in J last Thursday; flights were great but nothing has posted to my AA account yet. (My AA number is on my boarding passes.) Is it normal for it to take this long? If so, is there a certain time of day I should check or could it post at any random time? Thanks.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 11:24 am

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
I just did the same trip (JFK-HEL-HKG) and back. The JFK-HEL leg took about 5 days...the HEL-HKG took about 2 weeks. It's now been 6 days since my return trip and none of that has posted yet.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 3:02 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by GNRMatt
I just did the same trip (JFK-HEL-HKG) and back. The JFK-HEL leg took about 5 days...the HEL-HKG took about 2 weeks. It's now been 6 days since my return trip and none of that has posted yet.
Thanks. These days, the five days seems long. Two weeks seems kind of absurd.
Old Oct 23, 2019, 3:54 pm

Given that AY-metal flights usually take several days to post to AY+, I am not surprised that it would take up to a week for flights to post to AAdvantage. Two weeks seems unusual, though, and I would definitely reach out if it has been that long.
Old Oct 25, 2019, 1:36 am
Suspended

I sent a brief inquiry to AY on Twitter inquiring about the flights I mentioned above. They claimed that it’s an AA problem, even though the flights were operated by AY (except a feeder codeshare operated by AA). That can’t be right, can it?
Old Oct 25, 2019, 5:04 am

I sent a brief inquiry to AY on Twitter inquiring about the flights I mentioned above. They claimed that it’s an AA problem, even though the flights were operated by AY (except a feeder codeshare operated by AA). That can’t be right, can it?
I don't know if it is AA's issue but it absolutely can be AA's problem. If you want me to guess then I would say that it is AA's problem.
Old Oct 25, 2019, 5:17 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by millionmiler
I don't know if it is AA's issue but it absolutely can be AA's problem. If you want me to guess then I would say that it is AA's problem.
Meaning AY correctly reported the flights but AA didn’t post them? From the various reports here, it seems like it’s always been an AY issue.
Old Oct 25, 2019, 5:23 am

Meaning AY correctly reported the flights but AA didn’t post them? From the various reports here, it seems like it’s always been an AY issue.
It could be both. AY usually takes longer than AA to post flights to their respective programs (several days vs the next day), but it could be that AA’s posting of partner flights is also delayed. In other words, it takes several days to a week for AY to report the flight to AA, and it could be a delay on AA’s part in posting the flights to your account.

If it’s been at least two weeks and you want to check with AA, I would reach out to AAdvantage Customer Service during normal business hours.
joe_miami likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 6:22 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I flew ARN-HEL-TLL on AY with tickets bought through AY. Miles posted five days after the flights plus a few hours which matches up with my last experience with them.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 8:53 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt
I'm waiting 3 weeks now for another ay ticket set to post. Annoying
Old Nov 19, 2019, 12:31 am

Originally Posted by mellimies
Will be interesting to see if they update the AY partner page.
Sure enough it's there now.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 12:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Gold
Flew LAX-LHR on 12/22 in I class on AA metal with a Finnair codeshare flight number and the flight still hasn't posted. I've done a missing mileage request and sent my boarding pass/receipt to AA 2 weeks ago. Just talked to someone at AAdvantage CS who said he resubmitted it and it could take another 2-3 weeks from now. Is there anything I can do to push this along?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.