Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Finnair / AY: Earning AA Miles, Loyalty Points Questions (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 25, 2019, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Flying Finnair: Earning EQM, EQD, EQS, Bonus & Award Miles and Related Issues

Link to Finnair partner page on aa.com

To earn AAdvantageŽ miles when you fly on Finnair marketed and operated flights as well as Iberia codeshare flights operated by oneworldŽ carriers and affiliates:
  • Buy an eligible published fare ticket in an eligible booking code
  • Fly an eligible route
AFFILIATE AIRLINES
  • Norra
On most flights marketed by partner airlines, you earn award miles based on a percentage of the flight distance and the fare class of your ticket. Specific flights, routes or cities that are excluded from earning miles or award travel are listed as exceptions if applicable.

Most economy fares assign 25% or 50% of base miles flown to calculate EQM earnings.

NOTE: AA Joint Business Venture partners AY, BA, IB, JL now earn up to 3 EQM per flown mile, along with American Airlines. See the earning chart linked to above.

EQ Dollars are earned as a percentage of miles flown determined by fare class.

Finnair marketed (“codeshare”) flights must be operated by a oneworldŽ or affiliate airline to earn AAdvantage miles. The ticketing or selling carrier or agent is immaterial to earnings.

It is always advised to try to assure your AA Frequent Flyer Number is on your boarding passes, and we always advise retaining your boarding passes (or take screen shots of e-boarding passes) until your instruments have all posted.

Also see: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...-partners.html
Print Wikipost

Finnair / AY: Earning AA Miles, Loyalty Points Questions (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2015, 1:47 pm

Programs: AA 1MM, Hyatt GP Platinum, *wood Gold
Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
Sometimes Finnair flights fail to credit properly and at times Finnair seems to deny credit incorrectly. Instead of starting from the assumption that some new limitation has been placed on earning aadvantage miles for Finnair flights, I would follow up with AAdvantage and point out the fare class and flights qualify for credit at 100% miles and .50 EQP. See also some of the posts in the relevant thread:
(here).
Thanks to all of you who responded to my original post.

I called the AAdvantage Platinum line to follow up on this. The agent said the decision was made by Finnair not to award miles for the JFK-HEL segment, and not AA. He agreed that this was strange, and commended me for saving my boarding pass. He told me that AA would appeal the decision on my behalf, and that I should have an answer by November 14th. Nevertheless, I'm glad I booked a mileage run this morning.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 1:23 am

Programs: AA Platinum, AA LT Gold
milehound, do you have any update on this?
Old Nov 21, 2015, 3:26 pm
jix

Programs: Marriott Gold, JGC, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, AC 25K
Has anyone flown AY from YYZ-LHR as BA* then LHR-HEL-Asia and got any segments denied when crediting to AA?

There's not a lot of info on the AA website as they don't list Canada as a destination (not that it's explicitly excluded either) so I just want to get some feedback before booking a O fare ticket.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 9:58 pm

Finnair fare code 'E' -- AAdvantage miles awarded?

Managed to book the BA nonstop from LHR-AUS on a Finnair ticket.

Booking class shows as 'E' per below.

Finnair 'E' booking class does not show up on aa.com here.

Assume I'm getting 0.5 EQM per mile however can anyone say for sure?

Thank you.

Code:
carrier
Finnair
5409	LONDON HEATHROW 

11:55 AM	AUSTIN 

4:05 PM	E

OPERATED BY BRITISH AIRWAYS
  CHECK-IN WITH OPERATING CARRIER
Old Apr 20, 2016, 1:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Since E class is not listed as an eligible class , you are due to get 0 miles and 0 EQMs when booked on the AY flight number
Old Apr 20, 2016, 1:12 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by Mikey likes it
Managed to book the BA nonstop from LHR-AUS on a Finnair ticket.

Booking class shows as 'E' per below.

Finnair 'E' booking class does not show up on aa.com here.

Assume I'm getting 0.5 EQM per mile however can anyone say for sure?
I'll go ahead and merge this into the extant Finnair earning thread.

~Moderator
Old Jun 4, 2016, 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by yminev
milehound, do you have any update on this?
Sorry for the delay in responding.

The good news is that AA got Finnair to credit me with all the miles earned per the agreement in 2015. The not so good news is that I made the same flight route again in May 2016 (I'm a sucker for a quality economy product at such a cheap fare, especially when my OW Sapphire status gets me an exit row!), and not a single leg has been credited to my account yet. Anyone else have any experience with this in 2016?
Old Jun 4, 2016, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by milehound
Sorry for the delay in responding.

The good news is that AA got Finnair to credit me with all the miles earned per the agreement in 2015. The not so good news is that I made the same flight route again in May 2016 (I'm a sucker for a quality economy product at such a cheap fare, especially when my OW Sapphire status gets me an exit row!), and not a single leg has been credited to my account yet. Anyone else have any experience with this in 2016?
Major mileage changes occurred this year vis a vis BA and AY credit. On such a discounted fare you'd receive 50% or 25% mileage. If nothing has credited, it's obvious you'll have to contact AA. They may have given you credit last year as a courtesy, but if the booking class doesn't show as earning mileage, then you may be out of luck for trying to pull the same thing twice. Eligible fares are eligible for a reason...they're too cheap for the airline to afford purchasing partner miles. In this case, you'd be looking at about 9K AA miles which would cost AY (the codeshare partner to whom your money went) at least U$90 if not more. That's a heavy hit to operating margins on low fares which is why mileage earning has been reduced significantly on discount OW economy fares.

Can't say I'd ever consider a BA economy flight to be a "quality economy product"!
Old Jun 5, 2016, 7:16 am

Originally Posted by Shareholder
Major mileage changes occurred this year vis a vis BA and AY credit. On such a discounted fare you'd receive 50% or 25% mileage. If nothing has credited, it's obvious you'll have to contact AA. They may have given you credit last year as a courtesy, but if the booking class doesn't show as earning mileage, then you may be out of luck for trying to pull the same thing twice. Eligible fares are eligible for a reason...they're too cheap for the airline to afford purchasing partner miles. In this case, you'd be looking at about 9K AA miles which would cost AY (the codeshare partner to whom your money went) at least U$90 if not more. That's a heavy hit to operating margins on low fares which is why mileage earning has been reduced significantly on discount OW economy fares.

Can't say I'd ever consider a BA economy flight to be a "quality economy product"!
Oddly enough, the return leg (LED-HEL-JFK) just posted to my account with the same 100% EQM rate as last year! That said, I think I might just keep my mouth shut this time around if the outbound flights fail to post, because the official EQM rate for Finnair is now 50% EQM for their lowest fares, but still 100% for RDM.

Seconded about BA economy BTW I was referring specifically to Finnair's longhaul economy product.

Last edited by milehound; Jun 5, 2016 at 7:18 am Reason: Clarification
Old Sep 3, 2016, 3:39 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
partner posting problems with Finnair?

On Finnair I flew ORD-HEL back in early August, and 2 others I know flew JFK-HEL a week or so before that (also in August). We all had our AA FF# in our PNR, but the segments did not post while our follow on HEL-XXX connection legs did. The tickets/fare classes were eligible, though only at the 25% earning level under the new partner earning guidelines effective August 1, 2016.

My flight back in late August, HEL-JFK, posted fine within days of the flight. Once the 15 days passed from my outbound leg with missing credit, I was able to submit a missing point request for myself and the other two travelers who also had missing points.

Anyone see similar issues with Finnair inconsistent miles posting? Thoughts on why 3 of us on separate PNRs (all 3 of us), different dates and even different city pairs, did not post in one direction while the connecting legs did?

It's been over a week since I submitted the online request for points. No response yet.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 7:54 pm

Programs: AA PP 1.8MM, PC Spire, Hertz 5*, Hyatt Globalist
Booked on Finnair and has Finnair flight number, Toronto to LHR, but on BA metal. I put in my AA Frequent Flier number at booking and shows up on my reservation.

I will earn AA miles based on Finnair partner miles chart?
Anybody have problems getting credit to AA for such flights?
Old Feb 19, 2017, 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by nutwpinut
Booked on Finnair and has Finnair flight number, Toronto to LHR, but on BA metal. I put in my AA Frequent Flier number at booking and shows up on my reservation.

I will earn AA miles based on Finnair partner miles chart?
Anybody have problems getting credit to AA for such flights?
I did everything as mentioned above. Within 2 weeks they all credits to my AA account correctly. I was very happy with Finnair
Old Jun 7, 2017, 7:50 pm

EQM/EQD reverse route credit? AY NRT - FRA

When looking at the Finnair partner info it states credit for Europe to Asia, but would credit also be given for Asia (NRT - FRA) flight? Assuming B fare.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...es/finnair.jsp

Regions:
Earn and redeem AAdvantageŽ miles for travel on Finnair within Europe, and between Europe and:

Asia
Middle East
U.S.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 10:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Yes that would count, NRT-FRA is a flight between Europe and Asia. If it only counted one way that would be worded as flights originating in Europe with destinations in Asia
Old Jun 7, 2017, 10:23 pm

Yes, took HEL-SIN and SIN-HEL. Both were credited.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.