Random AA, Aer Lingus upgrade question

Old Jul 9, 2024, 6:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage
Random AA, Aer Lingus upgrade question

Im a newbie, but this seemed really specific for the newbie thread.

Okso if my mileage upgrade clears from economy to business on my current route, which was booked on AA and is AA metal, and then I change my flight can I keep my cleared upgrade in business?

Currently booked from MSP-DFW-DUB. Mileage upgrade has not cleared yet, but tons of empty business seats, both on seat map and when I called in. No C seats released at the moment on expert flyer. But IF the upgrade were to clear a week ahead of time, could I call in and change my flight to an MSP-DUB flight codeshare on AA but on EI metal and keep the business class ticket? Or do I get bumped back to coach and miles/points refunded?

fyi: the EI MSP-DUB flight currently shows 7 C seats on expert flyer.
Old Jul 9, 2024, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Natsue21
Im a newbie, but this seemed really specific for the newbie thread.

Okso if my mileage upgrade clears from economy to business on my current route, which was booked on AA and is AA metal, and then I change my flight can I keep my cleared upgrade in business?

Currently booked from MSP-DFW-DUB. Mileage upgrade has not cleared yet, but tons of empty business seats, both on seat map and when I called in. No C seats released at the moment on expert flyer. But IF the upgrade were to clear a week ahead of time, could I call in and change my flight to an MSP-DUB flight codeshare on AA but on EI metal and keep the business class ticket? Or do I get bumped back to coach and miles/points refunded?

fyi: the EI MSP-DUB flight currently shows 7 C seats on expert flyer.
No, if you change tickets, you will go back to your original ticketed cabin on the new flights unless C space is also open on your new flight. Otherwise everyone would be doing that, just booking whatever random flight you could find with C space available then changing to a flight you really want and keeping the upgrade.

Also miles/copay or SWU upgrades are not valid on EI metal flights. Seeing C space on EF for an Aer Lingus flight is completely meaningless.
USFlyerUS likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2024, 6:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage
Great. I knew the first part. There IS currently C space open on the aer lingus flight. Just wasnt sure if the upgrade would transfer after the fact.

thanks!
Old Jul 9, 2024, 8:10 pm
formerly DreAAmliner

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Natsue21
Great. I knew the first part. There IS currently C space open on the aer lingus flight. Just wasnt sure if the upgrade would transfer after the fact.

thanks!
C space for upgrade purposes will only apply to AA metal. C space on any codeshares is not the same thing.
USFlyerUS and JJeffrey like this.
Old Jul 9, 2024, 8:37 pm

C space on Aer Lingus just means a very expensive revenue business class ticket!
Natsue21 and JJeffrey like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.