Ridiculous Hold Times

Old May 28, 2024, 7:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanuim/Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Gold, United Silver
Ridiculous Hold Times

I cancelled a flight today on a partner airline and the miles were not reinstated as it does say you need to call for partner airline awards. I called around 6:00 pm PST and the automation said there was a 12-14 time frame for call backs and when I put the time in for 9:00 and then 10:00 am PST the automated voice said that was before the estimated call back time and then it wouldn't let me putt in another time. So call back time was over 16 hours. I need the miles back to book the flight for another day.

Chat is of no use either if the Robobot can't answer it says all customer service agents busy and to try again at a less busy time.
Old May 28, 2024, 7:20 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
With the severe weather disruption in Dallas yesterday, today is probably not the best time to try to reach them

Not sure if calling an international number would work, as Im not sure if they can assist with AAdvantage reservation issues?
JIMCHI likes this.
Old May 28, 2024, 7:23 pm

Programs: Lame Duck Delta PM, Freshly Minted AA EXP
I understand the frustration, but FlightAware is showing AA with 454 cancellations and over 1200 delays just today. Yes, the agents are busy.
JIMCHI, ksucats, Segments and 1 others like this.
Old May 28, 2024, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by holocker
I cancelled a flight today on a partner airline and the miles were not reinstated as it does say you need to call for partner airline awards. I called around 6:00 pm PST and the automation said there was a 12-14 time frame for call backs and when I put the time in for 9:00 and then 10:00 am PST the automated voice said that was before the estimated call back time and then it wouldn't let me putt in another time. So call back time was over 16 hours. I need the miles back to book the flight for another day.

Chat is of no use either if the Robobot can't answer it says all customer service agents busy and to try again at a less busy time.
Do you speak a foreign language well enough to get through a phone tree? All of AA's U.S.-based foreign-language reservations agents speak English, too. (Whether hold times on the foreign-language lines today are any shorter, I cannot say. But it might be worth a try.)

dw likes this.
Old May 28, 2024, 7:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanuim/Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Gold, United Silver
Unfortunatley no foreign language and I guess you cannot call overseas offices from the US as I tried calling the Caribean and Mexico numbers.
Old May 28, 2024, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by holocker
I need the miles back to book the flight for another day.
Put the new flight you need on hold then call again sometime tomorrow or the next day once things quiet down.
lrdpenn, dw and cmtlatitudes like this.
Old May 28, 2024, 8:10 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
With the severe weather disruption in Dallas yesterday, today is probably not the best time to try to reach them

Not sure if calling an international number would work, as I’m not sure if they can assist with AAdvantage reservation issues?
The weather today (Tuesday 5-28-2024) started early and was worse than Monday. 70+ mph winds (strongest right around airport), and golf-ball hail. Worse and more widespread than forecast. Would have really sucked to be working the phones. I'm sure the phone agents were caught in the middle and went into survival mode.

We're kind of stuck in that kind of a spring pattern. Unpredictable, relatively small geographic extent, but can be severe. Last two days have been close to or at the airport.

Last edited by jayer; May 28, 2024 at 8:21 pm
Old May 28, 2024, 8:20 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the info about putting the award on hold. I did not realize you could do that.
JIMCHI likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.