Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA to apply for new Reagan slot to San Antonio

AA to apply for new Reagan slot to San Antonio

Old May 19, 2024, 10:19 pm
Original Poster

AA to apply for new Reagan perimeter slot to San Antonio

Five new beyond-perimeter slots have been approved at DCA.

According to this article, AA will apply for a slot to serve SAT.

American Airlines has partnered San Antonio International to start direct flights to Washington, D.C. “With Congress increasing the number of long-distance flights at Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport (DCA), American is thrilled to announce its intent to apply to serve San Antonio International Airport from DCA,” said American's executive vice president of corporate real estate and chief government affairs officer, Nate Gatten.
​​​​​​Link

Last edited by m907; May 19, 2024 at 10:26 pm
Old May 20, 2024, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Given the significant DoD and other USG presence in San Antonio, this would be a welcome addition for SAT as I have to imagine there's no shortage of traffic between the two city pairs.
ikwia likes this.
Old May 20, 2024, 8:20 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Everyone knows that SAN and SAT are the big winners in the slot deal. If we find that SAN and SAT both wind up with one world carriers - all the better.
Old May 20, 2024, 9:30 am

Programs: Marriott LTP, Wyndham Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, Delta Plat, Hertz PC
From the post above: American Airlines has partnered San Antonio International to start direct flights to Washington, D.C. “With Congress increasing the number of long-distance flights at Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport (DCA), American is thrilled to announce its intent to apply to serve San Antonio International Airport from DCA,” said American's executive vice president of corporate real estate and chief government affairs officer, Nate Gatten.

I hate that people in the media keep referring to non-stop flights as direct. There is already a direct flight on WN, as WN126 stops in DAL and then continues on to DCA. By definition, that is a direct flight.
Old May 20, 2024, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by zdcatc12
I hate that people in the media keep referring to non-stop flights as direct. There is already a direct flight on WN, as WN126 stops in DAL and then continues on to DCA. By definition, that is a direct flight.
I hate that people in the industry are often trying to fool travelers by abusing the English language and calling a flight “direct” when there is usually nothing that benefits the traveler compared to a connecting flight. Now, I know that WN is somewhat unique with their “1st stop, no plane change” direct flights, but that’s not the industry norm.
Antarius and m907 like this.
Old May 20, 2024, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott LT Plat | Hyatt Discoverist
It's time to do away with this silliness at DCA.

Let IAD float or sink on it's own merits. There's no need to prop it up like NRT had been for decades.
Old May 20, 2024, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
I hate that people in the industry are often trying to fool travelers by abusing the English language and calling a flight “direct” when there is usually nothing that benefits the traveler compared to a connecting flight. Now, I know that WN is somewhat unique with their “1st stop, no plane change” direct flights, but that’s not the industry norm.
Well according to George Carlin, even the use of "nonstop" is an abuse of the English language because he insisted that his flight always stop, preferably at the airport.
Old May 20, 2024, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Well, I guess that's the final nail in the coffin of AA's strategic perimeter-busting HOU hub with its convenient double daily AUS/SAT - HOU - DCA/LGA MD-80 flights.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.