LGA day trip recommendations

Old May 21, 2024, 1:50 am
  #61  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: London
Programs: BAEC Gold
Posts: 2,300
By way of an update, I have made my LGA-BOS-LGA booking with a 9am outbound and 5pm return. MCE 8A seats both ways! Many thanks for the information and advice given here.
guv1976 and GoBob like this.
TedToToe is offline  
Old May 21, 2024, 4:45 pm
  #62  
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Programs: AA LT Gold
Posts: 3,687
I was going to say MIA but getting back to the airport in the afternoon is not fun with the traffic, and the public transportation options are not the best.

My vote for DCA. Easy metro. Tons of restaurant options.
carlosdca is offline  
Old May 21, 2024, 6:10 pm
  #63  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: PHL / NYC / PSA-BLQ
Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
Posts: 3,144
Originally Posted by TedToToe
By way of an update, I have made my LGA-BOS-LGA booking with a 9am outbound and 5pm return. MCE 8A seats both ways! Many thanks for the information and advice given here.
As you've settled on Boston, I'll toss in my two cents on some options (having gone to uni there in the 70s). There may be a # of things you want to do but consider:

1) going to Union Oyster House a block from Faneuil Hall. Oldest restaurant in Boston (1826) and you can sit at the oyster bar where Daniel Webster ate oysters by the bucket
2) if the weather is good, take the ferry or water taxi from Long Wharf across to Logan airport (either way)
3) the waterfront is a short and comfortable walk up to the State House and to the Boston Common
4) the bar that "Cheers" was modeled after is right next to the Common if you are so inclined.
5) if you like museums, the MFA is world-class
6) and if the Red Sox are playing (although unlikely there is a day game like the old days) and you're interested in attending an American baseball game it's a historic venue.
7) if you like Science, visit my alma mater - MIT
8) or you could visit that ratty school up the river and go to Harvard Sq.

Of course, do what pleases you and wishes that you have a great time!

ADDED: See that you're taking the 9AM in and 5PM out so time is scarce. If I were doing it, I'd water taxi or ferry either in or outbound, go to the waterfront, have lunch @ the Union Oyster House, explore around Faneuil Hall and the waterfront area and then head back to catch the flight. Given your flights, you get downtown 10:30 to 11AM and you'll have to leave around 3PM, latest 3:30 to safely get to the airport and negotiate security.

Last edited by JMN57; May 21, 2024 at 7:45 pm
JMN57 is offline  
Old May 22, 2024, 1:13 am
  #64  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: London
Programs: BAEC Gold
Posts: 2,300
Originally Posted by JMN57
As you've settled on Boston, I'll toss in my two cents on some options (having gone to uni there in the 70s). There may be a # of things you want to do but consider:

1) going to Union Oyster House a block from Faneuil Hall. Oldest restaurant in Boston (1826) and you can sit at the oyster bar where Daniel Webster ate oysters by the bucket
2) if the weather is good, take the ferry or water taxi from Long Wharf across to Logan airport (either way)
3) the waterfront is a short and comfortable walk up to the State House and to the Boston Common
4) the bar that "Cheers" was modeled after is right next to the Common if you are so inclined.
5) if you like museums, the MFA is world-class
6) and if the Red Sox are playing (although unlikely there is a day game like the old days) and you're interested in attending an American baseball game it's a historic venue.
7) if you like Science, visit my alma mater - MIT
8) or you could visit that ratty school up the river and go to Harvard Sq.

Of course, do what pleases you and wishes that you have a great time!

ADDED: See that you're taking the 9AM in and 5PM out so time is scarce. If I were doing it, I'd water taxi or ferry either in or outbound, go to the waterfront, have lunch @ the Union Oyster House, explore around Faneuil Hall and the waterfront area and then head back to catch the flight. Given your flights, you get downtown 10:30 to 11AM and you'll have to leave around 3PM, latest 3:30 to safely get to the airport and negotiate security.
Indeed, my time will be limited, but 4) piques my interest as I'm a big Cheers fan! Add in the waterfront and lunch and hopefully it will be a good day out!
JMN57 likes this.
TedToToe is offline  
Old May 22, 2024, 3:37 am
  #65  
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Thousand Oaks, Ca., USA
Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Posts: 8,578
Originally Posted by TedToToe
By way of an update, I have made my LGA-BOS-LGA booking with a 9am outbound and 5pm return. MCE 8A seats both ways! Many thanks for the information and advice given here.
Let us know your lunch spot!

if you love seafood, oysters and lobsters are the way. If you donít want lines and Neptune Oyster and want a strep up from Legsl Seafood, B&G oyster is tops too!
GoBob and TedToToe like this.
beachfan is offline  
Old May 22, 2024, 10:00 am
  #66  
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: BOS
Programs: DL PM, WOH Discoverist, Hilton Silver (working on hotels this year)
Posts: 277
Originally Posted by beachfan
Let us know your lunch spot!

if you love seafood, oysters and lobsters are the way. If you donít want lines and Neptune Oyster and want a strep up from Legsl Seafood, B&G oyster is tops too!
One more I'll add: had an excellent dinner recently at Woods Hill Farm at Pier 4 in the Seaport (the old Anthony's, for old timers). Delightful farm to table veg and fresh seafood, and next to the Institute for Contemporary Art (and an unbroken harborwalk from there to Charlestown, through downtown).
TedToToe likes this.
GoBob is offline  
Old May 22, 2024, 10:14 am
  #67  
 
Join Date: Feb 2022
Programs: AAdvantage
Posts: 1,008
Sounds like the OP might be visiting here in the summer. Doing anything outside will make you become a towel drenched in sweat. If you can access the American AC ($79 for a day pass) BOS and ORD have showers to feel at least decent for the flight. DCA does not and Washington DC can be brutally hot in summer.
TedToToe likes this.
EXP100 is offline  
Old May 22, 2024, 11:01 am
  #68  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: PHL / NYC / PSA-BLQ
Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
Posts: 3,144
Originally Posted by EXP100
Sounds like the OP might be visiting here in the summer. Doing anything outside will make you become a towel drenched in sweat. If you can access the American AC ($79 for a day pass) BOS and ORD have showers to feel at least decent for the flight. DCA does not and Washington DC can be brutally hot in summer.
OP is BA Gold = Emerald so I believe gets access for free.
JMN57 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.