LGA day trip recommendations

Old May 18, 2024, 10:06 am

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
For those going between BOS & downtown Boston on a nice summer day, a good alternative is taking the ferry between the Logan airport dock and Long Wharf. less than 30 minutes it's relaxing & scenic.
Old May 18, 2024, 10:51 am

Programs: DL PM, WOH Discoverist, Hilton Silver (working on hotels this year)
Originally Posted by TedToToe
As I mentioned in my opening post, I'm looking to avoid the risk of traffic, so for a 6pm return flight out of BOS, what would my best option be.
I'd take the Blue Line - stops at Government Center (connection to Green Line), State Street (Orange) or Aquarium all downtown; two stops from Aquarium to the Airport station and a short bus shuttle to the terminals. Each of those stops are walking distance to the waterfront, North End (little Italy), and Freedom Trail. Enjoy.
lrdpenn and TedToToe like this.
Old May 18, 2024, 12:14 pm

Programs: Free Agent Level 2; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, ALL SE, BA GECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by CMTinPHL
OP specifically wants to fly out of LGA to tick it off a list… otherwise train options on the NR Corridor would be the best option.
I was agreeing with a poster upthread who pointed out the risk of afternoon weather causing flight disruptions, and the options of trains and buses from NEC cities as viable backup alternatives if OP needs to be back in NYC the next morning. When weather causes travel disruption at LGA (the most susceptible to delays of the NYC airports due to the runway and approach configurations), the first flights that tend to get canceled are short haul, high frequency, small aircraft, and these disruptions tend to happen later in the day.
TedToToe likes this.
Old May 18, 2024, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by S80
I'd add XNA to the list as well..
No offense but thatís among the worst advice Iíve seen on FlyerTalk.

Unless youíre trying to do business with Walmart, thereís no reason to fly nearly 3 hours to NW Arkansas.
LovePrunes likes this.
Old May 18, 2024, 3:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Gold, Hertz Gold, Avis P+
Originally Posted by ijgordon

Unless youíre trying to do business with Walmart, thereís no reason to fly nearly 3 hours to NW Arkansas.
Iím hoping this was a typoÖÖ Maybe they meant BNA. Which, Nashville would be hard to do as the airport is out away from the city and traffic can be a nightmare. Not much for public transit either. Would have to depend on taxi.
LovePrunes likes this.
Old May 18, 2024, 3:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Gold, Hertz Gold, Avis P+
If for sightseeing only, what about LGA - BUF. There’s shuttles that go direct from the airport to Niagara Falls. There’s a morning flight that lands around 10:00am then a late afternoon flight back to LGA at 6:00pm.
Old May 18, 2024, 4:09 pm
S80

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA 1K, Hilton Diamond

Originally Posted by DASRTR
Iím hoping this was a typoÖÖ Maybe they meant BNA. Which, Nashville would be hard to do as the airport is out away from the city and traffic can be a nightmare. Not much for public transit either. Would have to depend on taxi.
Definitely not a typo. XNA is the biggest of the little airports served nonstop from LGA, and Arkansas is probably a state a UK resident has never visited. The airport is quick to get through, and only 15-20 minutes from downtown Bentonville with no traffic to worry about. There are a bunch of great local places for food, not a bunch of chains. Another 15-20 minutes away is a state park next to Beaver Lake that's pretty scenic. The only downside is there isn't public transit, so a car rental / Uber would be required. There is likely a similar setup for ROA/AVL/GSO/GSP, which are closer, but I haven't personally been to any of them.
m907 likes this.
Old May 18, 2024, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by S80
Definitely not a typo. XNA is the biggest of the little airports served nonstop from LGA, and Arkansas is probably a state a UK resident has never visited. The airport is quick to get through, and only 15-20 minutes from downtown Bentonville with no traffic to worry about. There are a bunch of great local places for food, not a bunch of chains. Another 15-20 minutes away is a state park next to Beaver Lake that's pretty scenic. The only downside is there isn't public transit, so a car rental / Uber would be required. There is likely a similar setup for ROA/AVL/GSO/GSP, which are closer, but I haven't personally been to any of them.
A same-day roundtrip (on nonstops) is possible from LGA to GSO, but not to the other cities on your list -- at least, not on a weekday in mid-June.
TedToToe likes this.
Old May 20, 2024, 9:14 am

Programs: Lifetime Plat/4mm miles, Starwood, HiltonHonors
Why beat yourself up? Even the NYT will do a minimum of 36 hours for its short excursions. Especially if you're talking springtime (i.e., now) when T-storms will play havoc with scheduling. Not sure how long you're in NYC for but you can do an entire day in Flushing, Queens and pretend it's HK. Otherwise, intercity trains offer a wealth of possibilities with much less hassle than airports.
Old May 20, 2024, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Danwriter
Why beat yourself up? Even the NYT will do a minimum of 36 hours for its short excursions. Especially if you're talking springtime (i.e., now) when T-storms will play havoc with scheduling. Not sure how long you're in NYC for but you can do an entire day in Flushing, Queens and pretend it's HK. Otherwise, intercity trains offer a wealth of possibilities with much less hassle than airports.
The OP wants to fly in and out of LGA, and apparently has just one day to do so.
TedToToe likes this.
Old May 20, 2024, 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by TedToToe
As I mentioned in my opening post, I'm looking to avoid the risk of traffic, so for a 6pm return flight out of BOS, what would my best option be.

Chicago isn't completely out of the running; I will finalise based on pricing and once my ex LON flights are booked.
If you are time-sensitive, then you must stay off the Silver Line, especially during rush hour. There is no way to predict how long it will take to get back to the airport, since it sits in dense traffic in the Ted Williams tunnel. Just to be clear, it DOES NOT have dedicated tunnels or lanes except in downtown: it is just a regular diesel bus in traffic for most of the trip.
TedToToe likes this.
Old May 20, 2024, 8:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
I see the reasonable potential for a "what were you thinking" moment here. If you must, stay close enough so you can get back to NYC quickly on land if something goes pearshaped eg BOS/DCA/PHL.
LovePrunes likes this.
Old May 20, 2024, 11:06 pm

Originally Posted by S80
I'd add XNA to the list as well. RDU/CLT are closer flying-wise.

I would say to avoid YYZ/YUL. While both good ideas, the addition of customs in Canada twice will wipe away a lot of your time, unless you have at least Global Entry (I don't believe UK citizens are eligible for Nexus).
No offense but that’s among the worst advice I’ve seen on FlyerTalk.

Unless you’re trying to do business with Walmart, there’s no reason to fly nearly 3 hours to NW Arkansas.
agreed, XNA is the worst suggestion for a "sightseeing visit" for a Brit with one day of an escape from NYC.
I mean, if one was stuck on a biz trip in NW Arkansas and couldn't get out of it, there are some things one can kill the time with there, but for an originating LGA day trip to experience something meaningful, XNA doesn't even make the top 500 ideas. No offense to the person who suggested it.
I think they might get a glimpse of the AA A380 with service from LIT to NRT though, if they chose Little Rock over Fayetteville AR. (Sorry, running joke on here for a forum poster long since suspended.) XNA is proud that they have the only moving sidewalk in the state of Arkansas. So there's that, I suppose. I believe they now have their very own parking garage, too. It's quite the accomplishment, but bring clothespins for your nose if you ever DO visit, as the entire NW Corner of the state smells like chicken 💩 from all the chicken farms...I kid you not....Doesn't matter where in that region you go, you'll KNOW you're in chicken country. It's as bad as a paper pulp mill. Disgusting smelling place 9 months out of the year. But back on topic for something practical:

100 % agree with the East Coast historic cities idea DC or BOS with train service as your Plan "B" if thunderstorms delay you getting back to LGA. I'm partial to DC, so much free and fun and iconic and historic stuff there, but it takes more like a week or two vs a day to truly get to visit they key attractions in the DC area.
ijgordon likes this.
Old May 20, 2024, 11:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LovePrunes
100 % agree with the East Coast historic cities idea DC or BOS with train service as your Plan "B" if thunderstorms delay you getting back to LGA. I'm partial to DC, so much free and fun and iconic and historic stuff there, but it takes more like a week or two vs a day to truly get to visit they key attractions in the DC area.
From the OP:

"So, the plan would be, morning flight from LGA to somewhere, lunch (sightseeing not important) then return flight to LGA in the afternoon/evening." (Emphasis added.)

I do agree that a trip to BOS or DCA probably makes the most sense, as there is always ground transportation to get back to NYC in the event of aviation IROPS.
TedToToe likes this.
Old May 21, 2024, 1:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Danwriter
Please see below!
Originally Posted by guv1976
The OP wants to fly in and out of LGA, and apparently has just one day to do so.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.