LGA day trip recommendations

Old May 17, 2024, 12:43 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Admirals Club member
Originally Posted by TedToToe
Many thanks for that. It's interesting that CLT is much more than BOS or ORD, at least for the dates selected.
200 miles vs 500 miles....
Old May 17, 2024, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by joeyE
200 miles vs 500 miles....
LGA-ORD is the longest of the three -- and has the cheapest fare for the June date which I checked.
TedToToe likes this.
Old May 17, 2024, 12:59 pm

Programs: DL PM, WOH Discoverist, Hilton Silver (working on hotels this year)
Re BOS: note that time of day impacts Silver Line in Boston, which can cut into your time (or at least create a foul mood). If rush hour I'd take the airport shuttle bus to the blue line train, which drops you right downtown in two stops. Silver Line (free) is preferable only at off peak. It uses the Ted Williams Tunnel which is mercilessly backed up at rush hours due to endless construction or closures in/around the area. Also, earlier poster mentioned that the Silver goes to Seaport -which it does - but it terminates at South Station downtown which is better situated for sightseeing and connection (Red Line goes to Cambridge, for example).
TedToToe likes this.
Old May 17, 2024, 1:19 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Id look at frequency as well; given weather that time of year (assuming summer) a late afternoon flight could get cancelled.

Boston, Phil, DC have train options for worst case scenarios.

while not the best Boston lunch, legal Seafood at Logan (Boston) is the best airport lunch. Get the lobster roll with extra lobster. If time, and not during lunch rush, Neptune Oyster in the North End with a cannoli at Modern Bakery for desert.
TedToToe likes this.
Old May 17, 2024, 3:28 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
On a forthcoming trip to NYC I have a free day (weekday) and want to 'tick off' flights from and to LGA - I'm UK based. So, the plan would be, morning flight from LGA to somewhere, lunch (sightseeing not important) then return flight to LGA in the afternoon/evening. . . . . .
For only one day I would second Boston and recommend lunch at Legal Seafood. Locations all over town. If really short on time because of a delay you can even find them in the airport. If you have some time the Freedom Trail isn't all that long and can be bailed on at any point.

'. . . . .So, any AA destinations you recommend for a stress-free day trip?
LaGuardia can be interesting in the late afternoon if conditions are not perfect. Too much heat/any cloudy weather/wind the wrong direction and stress happens. Are you prepared to wait till the last minute to make a go/no go decision?

​​​​​​
EDITED TO ADD: With apologies to the author of Post #34, who seems to have made all of my points and more while I was looking at an unrefreshed screen.
TedToToe likes this.
Old May 17, 2024, 4:50 pm

Programs: AA/UA/DL
I vote for LGA-DCA-LGA although I love BOS and ORD too.
Both LGA and DCA are beautiful.
DC metro yellow and blue lines are so convenience to connect DCA to downtown.
In addition, DC metro stations are unique.
ORD is a bit far to Chicago downtown. Blue line take a while to downtown.
I did my LGA-DCA-LGA same day trip in March for cherry blossoms.
Even with 3 hours flight delay, I still saw a lot and enjoy both lounges in LGA and DCA.
Although there is no cherry blossoms, there are still a lot to see in DC.

My LGA-DCA-LGA same day trip:
:
TedToToe likes this.

Last edited by pigx5; May 17, 2024 at 5:04 pm
Old May 17, 2024, 5:29 pm

Programs: Free Agent Level 2; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, ALL SE, BA GECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by beachfan
Id look at frequency as well; given weather that time of year (assuming summer) a late afternoon flight could get cancelled.

Boston, Phil, DC have train options for worst case scenarios.
I was going to make the same point. In addition to lots of Amtrak service, there are also multiple bus options, so if you absolutely have to be back in NYC the next day I would definitely stick to the Northeast Corridor options.
TedToToe likes this.
Old May 17, 2024, 5:42 pm

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by GoBob
Re BOS: note that time of day impacts Silver Line in Boston, which can cut into your time (or at least create a foul mood). If rush hour I'd take the airport shuttle bus to the blue line train, which drops you right downtown in two stops. Silver Line (free) is preferable only at off peak. It uses the Ted Williams Tunnel which is mercilessly backed up at rush hours due to endless construction or closures in/around the area. Also, earlier poster mentioned that the Silver goes to Seaport -which it does - but it terminates at South Station downtown which is better situated for sightseeing and connection (Red Line goes to Cambridge, for example).
thats not right on the Silver line. It uses dedicated tunnels to get to Seaport and Logan which move smoothly even during rush hour.
Old May 17, 2024, 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by TedToToe
Many thanks for that. It's interesting that CLT is much more than BOS or ORD, at least for the dates selected.
Charlotte is an absolute AA fortress. I can never remember the exact number, but ~90% of the flights out of Charlotte are AA.

Its also the second biggest banking hub in the US after NYC.

So combination of monopoly and business heavy routes.
TedToToe likes this.
Old May 17, 2024, 8:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by bennos
I was going to make the same point. In addition to lots of Amtrak service, there are also multiple bus options, so if you absolutely have to be back in NYC the next day I would definitely stick to the Northeast Corridor options.
OP specifically wants to fly out of LGA to tick it off a list otherwise train options on the NR Corridor would be the best option.
Old May 17, 2024, 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by EXP100
Could do ORD. It's about an hour on the Blue Line to the Loop (city center). Can easily walk to the lakefront from there. There's a shower at the AC (if the OP has access) upon return to the airport. Nice view of the field from the AC.
Originally Posted by saunders111
As BA OWE, you will have access even flying in coach. (I believe also to the Flagship Lounge, if you decide to go to ORD. The ORD FL is *tres bon*, in my opinion.)
Originally Posted by aisleorwindow
Another vote for Chicago. (Of course, I'm biased)

Easy train ride into town for $5 and endless amounts of delicious food
The FL at ORD is pretty good. But while the Blue Line is one-seat, it still can be nearly an hour each way in rush hour, depending on where you are going. It is much, much easier to get into D.C. from DCA than it is to take the CTA from ORD into the Loop. Even the walk from to the subway at ORD is 3x (at least) the distance as it is to the Metro at DCA.
Old May 18, 2024, 3:33 am

Originally Posted by CMTinPHL
The FL at ORD is pretty good. But while the Blue Line is one-seat, it still can be nearly an hour each way in rush hour, depending on where you are going. It is much, much easier to get into D.C. from DCA than it is to take the CTA from ORD into the Loop. Even the walk from to the subway at ORD is 3x (at least) the distance as it is to the Metro at DCA.
I always get the DC airports confused, but there is one where the subway is an absolute trek from the terminal. The tram from the lounge area, then the tunnels.

I always thought AA to CTA at ORD was pretty easy. But, that might be just the number of times I have done it.
Old May 18, 2024, 6:02 am

Programs: DL PM, WOH Discoverist, Hilton Silver (working on hotels this year)
Originally Posted by LaserSailor
thats not right on the Silver line. It uses dedicated tunnels to get to Seaport and Logan which move smoothly even during rush hour.
No, it is absolutely right. Silver Line only has a dedicated tunnel from South Station to Silver Line Way, then it's surface roads and the Ted Williams Tunnel (I-90) to the airport terminal road and back. I live here and have sat in the traffic many times (my commuter rail leaves from South Station so I have to endure it).
Old May 18, 2024, 8:16 am

OP, if you haven't already made up your mind and if you like art, the Chicago Art Institute is a great reason to consider Chicago (in addition to Chicago's famous architecture). The Art Institute has a renowned impressionist collection, iconic works by Grant Wood and Edward Hopper, and a good selection of modern works by Picasso, Matisse, Pollock, etc. I'm not a Chicagoan, but when I've visited on a weekday, the Institute's rooms have been pleasantly quiet.
Old May 18, 2024, 8:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by GoBob
No, it is absolutely right. Silver Line only has a dedicated tunnel from South Station to Silver Line Way, then it's surface roads and the Ted Williams Tunnel (I-90) to the airport terminal road and back. I live here and have sat in the traffic many times (my commuter rail leaves from South Station so I have to endure it).
As I mentioned in my opening post, I'm looking to avoid the risk of traffic, so for a 6pm return flight out of BOS, what would my best option be.
Originally Posted by scoonee
OP, if you haven't already made up your mind and if you like art, the Chicago Art Institute is a great reason to consider Chicago (in addition to Chicago's famous architecture). The Art Institute has a renowned impressionist collection, iconic works by Grant Wood and Edward Hopper, and a good selection of modern works by Picasso, Matisse, Pollock, etc. I'm not a Chicagoan, but when I've visited on a weekday, the Institute's rooms have been pleasantly quiet.
Chicago isn't completely out of the running; I will finalise based on pricing and once my ex LON flights are booked.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.