AA: PROBLEMS: please help

Old May 3, 2024, 12:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United-GOLD, AA
AA: PROBLEMS: please help

Hi all,
Forgive my emotional state: booked a R/T SFO-MAD (BA depart to LHR/MAD; AA Return MAD-Phil/SFO). Wow! All admin via AA, but:
-- Nothing in "My trips" on AA web account! checked BA website; Departure Leg was found in my acct; But the AA return had nothing.
-- After 15" chat with AA human, still can't see the Return AA leg. Pathetic.

I am now seriously thinking of cancelling the trip! Very concerned about their dysfunctional software systems/website. I did get an email with the entire trip details, but it's not in PDF form (so can't be saved or printed). UA customer forever, this is my first experience with aa long haul.

Would appreciate all help and assistance. Unlike the Premiere phone at UA, it's a 2 hour wait for aa to pick up.

Suggestions? Advice? Consolation? Anyone out there who is familiar with the aa system? I read aa in financial straits, but cost-cutting on their software???

Thank you!
Old May 3, 2024, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
How soon is the trip? If sufficiently far in the future and you are still within the 24-hour refund period, I would cancel, and follow the advice I posted in your thread in the BA forum:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/36206329-post7.html

If you are able to get a status match before departure, you will not have to pay extra to select your BA seats in advance. And if you decide that you want to pursue oneworld status via BA, see if you can book your return AA flights as BA codeshares for the same price.

Note that you should be able to book this roundtrip itinerary via either AA or BA.

Has AA actually issued a ticket yet, or do you merely have a reservation confirmation?
Old May 3, 2024, 12:44 pm

Have you tried re-adding the trip on AA.com by inputting the record locator?
Once logged in, click here:https://www.aa.com/reservation/view/...ur-reservation

It's not uncommon for trips to disappear from the website, even though they are fully intact in the backend systems

Cancelling a trip due to it disappearing from your account view on the website, is just wee bit dramatic.

Last edited by DataPlumber; May 3, 2024 at 12:52 pm
Old May 3, 2024, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Also, if you speak any of several foreign languages well enough to get through a phone tree, you might encounter shorter wait times by calling one of AA's foreign-language reservations lines. Once you actually reach an agent, you can converse in English if you prefer, as all such agents speak English, too.

Old May 3, 2024, 12:49 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by pbh220
Hi all,
Forgive my emotional state: booked a R/T SFO-MAD (BA depart to LHR/MAD; AA Return MAD-Phil/SFO). Wow! All admin via AA, but:
-- Nothing in "My trips" on AA web account! checked BA website; Departure Leg was found in my acct; But the AA return had nothing.
-- After 15" chat with AA human, still can't see the Return AA leg. Pathetic.
I am now seriously thinking of cancelling the trip! Very concerned about their dysfunctional software systems/website. I did get an email with the entire trip details, but it's not in PDF form (so can't be saved or printed). UA customer forever, this is my first experience with aa long haul.
Would appreciate all help and assistance. Unlike the Premiere phone at UA, it's a 2 hour wait for aa to pick up.
Suggestions? Advice? Consolation? Anyone out there who is familiar with the aa system? I read aa in financial straits, but cost-cutting on their software???
Thank you!
1. Call AA customer service (1-800-433-7300).
2. After answering a few questions, you will be asked "Instead of waiting on hold, we can call you back in x amount of time."
3. Enter in your phone number and state your name when asked.
4. Do other stuff until they call back.
5. Don't try to call in again, because the recording will say you are already in queue, even if it is past the time they said you would receive a call back at
6. When you get the call back, make sure you have the email confirmation in front of you, with the details of your itinerary
7. Explain the facts, and the AA customer service agent will sort it out.
mnhusker likes this.
Old May 3, 2024, 12:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by pbh220
I did get an email with the entire trip details, but it's not in PDF form (so can't be saved or printed).
You can:
1) Print emails
2) Save (or print) emails as pdfs
Old May 3, 2024, 1:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP
AA is not in financial straits. Let's start there.

If an AA human verified that the return leg existed, and you've got a PDF showing confirmation, you're good. You don't say when you booked- if it was today, there may be a delay.

I've had problems with the United website... without some details, yes, this reads as emotional and irrational. Why would you cancel?
Old May 3, 2024, 2:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United-GOLD, AA
Hi All,
Yes, I agree I was definitely freaking out ... thank you so much for all your good counsel. A miracle happened as I was (eventually) connected with a very helpful aa gent who walked me through the aa website (previous rep had no answers/tips) and answered all my questions. Anyway, all the info was on the app and the website, but the formatting and required swiping/pushing/linking etc was confusing. UA can suck in many ways, but their web/app is very user friendly.
Heaps of gratitude pouring out via the www for your kind and generous assistance.
We are on our way, assuming I remember all the swiping/pushing/tapping instructions.
cheers to you!
WannaTheater, ysolde and mnhusker like this.
Old May 3, 2024, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Yes AA's IT is quite lacking compared to UAs. With some flights on BA, be aware that BA will use a different PNR than the AA PNR because BA are on a different system. If you want to select seats on your BA flights, you can access your reservation through AA.com and then there should be a link in the seat selection process to take you to BA's website. Or it should show the BA PNR which you can use to access BA.com directly.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.