Award married logic leg change conundrum

Old May 3, 2024, 10:00 am
Original Poster

Award married logic leg change conundrum

I am flying with wife on an award ticket IAD(QR)-DOH(RJ)-AMM in J, with 13 hours layover in DOH.
A better connection became available from DOH to AMM on QR + RJ. So I called to have it changed to IAD-DOH-JED-AMM but so far I was given 3 different reasons from 3 different reps:
1. All legs have to have availability to make the change - obviously IAD-DOH is long gone
2. Only one seat is available and cannot make the change(aa.com shows 2 seats left).
3. Cannot rebook because the DOH-JED is in First and the ticket is in Business so not possible.

Do you all know if a change like that is even possible to being with? Essentially changing RJ DOH - AMM to QR DOH - JED and then RJ JED - AMM. Seems super straightforward but wondering why the pushback. The space is there.
Old May 3, 2024, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by libuser
I am flying with wife on an award ticket IAD(QR)-DOH(RJ)-AMM in J, with 13 hours layover in DOH.
A better connection became available from DOH to AMM on QR + RJ. So I called to have it changed to IAD-DOH-JED-AMM but so far I was given 3 different reasons from 3 different reps:
1. All legs have to have availability to make the change - obviously IAD-DOH is long gone
2. Only one seat is available and cannot make the change(aa.com shows 2 seats left).
3. Cannot rebook because the DOH-JED is in First and the ticket is in Business so not possible.

Do you all know if a change like that is even possible to being with? Essentially changing RJ DOH - AMM to QR DOH - JED and then RJ JED - AMM. Seems super straightforward but wondering why the pushback. The space is there.
The short verion is that changing partner awards has become a cluster with AA. Supposedly this is still possible, however many/most agents either don't know how to do it, or say it isn't allowed or that you have to rebook everything from scratch or some other excuse as you saw.

Unfortunately there's nothing you can do other than keep trying HUCA and hope you get a more experienced agent that can do it.
Old May 3, 2024, 10:47 am

Can't you put it on hold, cancel the first trip, and rebook?
Old May 3, 2024, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by erik123
Can't you put it on hold, cancel the first trip, and rebook?
Not without losing the IAD-DOH segment.
Old May 3, 2024, 11:07 am

I had quite an ordeal even changing a revenue ticket. Seems like the default method of changing anything requires inventory to be available on all segments, including those you don't want changed. In my case, J was fully booked on one segment I wanted to keep, so a few agents claimed it couldn't be done until one finally made it happen. Going beyond that requires winning the lottery by getting in touch with an experienced agent.
Old May 3, 2024, 1:26 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Platinum
Considering how few AA partner awards on QR are right now from anywhere US-DOH, I would probably just leave it alone.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.