Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

CLT-LHR direct tomorrow night, or through PHL for ~100k fewer miles...?

CLT-LHR direct tomorrow night, or through PHL for ~100k fewer miles...?

Old May 2, 2024, 5:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Ooof ^^, classic AA Ops
You should be able to get on the non-stop (or potential BA) upfront in J, assuming there's availability. Continue to ask/pepper agent in case of noshows/misconnects
You never know, tides can turn again and you could end up saving 100k and fly non-stop in J....
Fingers crossed for you
Old May 2, 2024, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by jerseytom
Welp, that was too good to be true. 😂🤦🏻‍♂️

Right before boarding our 319 to PHL was deemed unusable. Flight delayed to where PHL-LHR wouldn't happen.

First time for everything - Admirals Club agents were great for looking at options, apparently I have a PE seat on the late direct flight out of here. Bummer losing business class.
​​​​
I imagine in this situation I should be able to get a chunk of miles refunded for the outbound shenanigans.
Also I would immediately look at any other options that will get you to LHR tonight in business class. Due to the irrops you can can connect anywhere on AA or BA. There are late flights to LHR from JFK, DFW, ORD to name a few, did you check those options?

ETA- there is business class availability on CLT-DFW-LHR tonight but it's leaving in about 20 mins...
benfro6 likes this.
Old May 2, 2024, 5:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Also I would immediately look at any other options that will get you to LHR tonight in business class. Due to the irrops you can can connect anywhere on AA or BA. There are late flights to LHR from JFK, DFW, ORD to name a few, did you check those options?

ETA- there is business class availability on CLT-DFW-LHR tonight but it's leaving in about 20 mins...
Hmmm. At the time, the agent there seemed pretty sure that the only confirmable J option was the early flight out of JFK in the morning. And regardless at this point I am not tempting fate with any other connections. 😂

Number one on the list if somebody no-shows tonight. 🤷🏻‍♂️
ryanbriar likes this.
Old May 2, 2024, 5:53 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro
That's unfortunately a bit earlier than I can squeak out of work and get down to the airport. Pretty limited on flight time options.

That's eye-opening though, that there are some damn good last-minute one-way choices. Last time I'd looked at this I couldn't find any combinations of one-ways that were less than one return ticket, maybe I wasn't looking close-in enough.
I think you forgot about that doctor's appointment you made 6 months ago!
Old May 2, 2024, 7:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
There's one seat showing available in J on AA734 CLT-LHR tonight.
JJeffrey likes this.
Old May 2, 2024, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by aacar
There's one seat showing available in J on AA734 CLT-LHR tonight.
Up to J2 now.

OP, I hope you are currently getting the AC agents to rebook you in to J on this flight now that there's room. You do not need to wait for any waitlist to process.
Old May 2, 2024, 8:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Up to J2 now.

OP, I hope you are currently getting the AC agents to rebook you in to J on this flight now that there's room. You do not need to wait for any waitlist to process.
...and it's somehow up to J7 now, ~40 min before departure, with 13 (!!) unoccupied seats in J.

Edit: oh, the flight's delayed 10.5 hours. That's why. Poor OP.
wrp96 likes this.
Old May 2, 2024, 8:33 pm
Original Poster

No flight out tonight 😕

Was going to be a quick trip; arrive Friday morning and head back Monday. That's kinda my minimum stay for crossing the Atlantic.

At this point... might just scrap it and pick another weekend.

Lesson learned. This is the biggest sign from the universe of, "No, ding-dong, ALWAYS stick with your direct flight."
Old May 2, 2024, 8:52 pm

No flight out tonight 😕

Was going to be a quick trip; arrive Friday morning and head back Monday. That's kinda my minimum stay for crossing the Atlantic.

Lesson learned. This is the biggest sign from the universe of, "No, ding-dong, ALWAYS stick with your direct flight."
Always the nonstop, ignore the brand on the outside. Time is far more valuable than miles, status, taking a connection for a FFD/lounge then overeating in the lounge only to drink more in flight to cover perceived cost, etc.

Any answer other than nonstop, would be from low rolling rookies....
Old May 2, 2024, 9:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
For 100k savings I would happily go through PHL. Good choice.
For 100K savings I would go through PHL, DFW, ORD, JFK, or even LAX....no brainer.
benfro6 and nk15 like this.
Old May 2, 2024, 9:37 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
Another perspective: always book a flight operated by a UK or EU carrier when leaving the USA so you can collect UK/EC261 compensation if there are IRROPS. Doesnt matter in the other direction
benfro6 and Ldnn1 like this.
Old May 2, 2024, 11:21 pm

No flight out tonight 😕

Well, except that the/a direct flight here was also screwed. Maybe you were originally looking at the earlier one but in any case theres also a lesson that whichever flight option you choose, theres always a risk of it going wrong. Obviously that risk increases with every extra stop, but

Imagine if youd paid the extra 100k for the late non-stop, youd be fuming!
JJeffrey and wrp96 like this.
Old May 3, 2024, 6:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by salut0
Another perspective: always book a flight operated by a UK or EU carrier when leaving the USA so you can collect UK/EC261 compensation if there are IRROPS. Doesnt matter in the other direction
This might make me reconsider some future Europe travel, since I can get to MUC on LH and then onward.

It has to be operated by a UK/EU carrier, not just marketed, and not marketed-and-operated? I.e. buying a BA ticket with a flight operated by AA doesn't do me any good?
Old May 3, 2024, 7:07 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
This might make me reconsider some future Europe travel, since I can get to MUC on LH and then onward.

It has to be operated by a UK/EU carrier, not just marketed, and not marketed-and-operated? I.e. buying a BA ticket with a flight operated by AA doesn't do me any good?
Has to be operated by the EU or UK carrier. So AA-coded BA operated is fine, UA-coded LH operated is fine, but vice versa is not.
jerseytom likes this.
Old May 3, 2024, 10:04 am
Original Poster

Alright. I'm going to attempt this trip again at some point later in the year and will be better informed and prepared. I suppose it's easy enough to map out all the alternative options in advance and jot down the flight numbers in case they become relevant!

Looking at this in retrospect, by the time I needed to make alternate arrangements (7 pm), outside of the CLT-LHR direct flights, connecting options would have been:
  • AA1727 ➡️ BA182 (CLT-JFK-LHR) arriving 11:15 am
  • AA2245 ➡️ AA98 (CLT-ORD-LHR) arriving 12:45 pm
  • AA1089 ➡️ AA78 (CLT-DFW-LHR) arriving 2:25 pm
  • AA1648 ➡️ AA728 (CLT-PHL-LHR) arriving 10:50 am
I didn't even realize there was a later CLT-PHL flight that would have still set me up to take my original PHL-LHR leg. I hope that was totally full, sold out, and not a really obvious option that got missed. I'll assume the agents and rebooking system are thorough with this stuff.

With all of that said I don't think opting for 734 was a bad option at the time; couldn't have predicted that it'd get delayed 12 hours.
benfro6 and LeastP like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.