Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Paid more for a good connection, AA cancels that flight and puts us on cheaper one.

Paid more for a good connection, AA cancels that flight and puts us on cheaper one.

Old May 1, 2024, 11:31 am

Programs: AA EXP; SQ Gold
Originally Posted by Kevin AA
I don't understand why people come to FlyerTalk, asking for help, and refuse to provide us with any details of the trip other than "somewhere in the U.S." to "somewhere in Europe" and "sometime in August", after being asked multiple times. We are not mind readers!

The idea of a chargeback makes no sense. AA will refund this entire trip; just ask. The merchant doesn't like it and the bank doesn't like it when people do that. The purpose of a chargeback is to get a refund which you are owed from a merchant who refuses to provide a refund.

AA will not refund $800. You don't buy layover times or layover airports. You are buying transportation from origin to destination.
My hunch is that we couldve helped OP. That theyre not as frequent of a travel as they seem. And, that they dont even really understand what we mean by finding connections through other Oneworld hubs.

I agree this thread should probably be closed, unless OP comes back with more info.
Old May 1, 2024, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
Originally Posted by ashill
I absolutely agree with nearly everything youre saying, including that AA will not refund the $800. But the last two sentences arent really true either. If they were, the price of the two alternative itineraries would have been the same, since theyre both transportation from origin to destination. This is definitely a situation that sucks for the OPs family and leaves them with no good or really fair options. AA refunding to the historical fare at time of purchase on the most-similar itinerary would be the fair thing to do, but it wont happen, certainly not unless the OP cancels and asks for a full refund due to the schedule change. But OP, if your family is willing to cancel and book another carrier, it doesnt hurt to ask about repricing based on the historical fare for the itinerary you wound up with when calling to cancel. Worst (and most likely) thing they can say is no.
Absent some strange fare restrictions, the only reason why one itinerary will price out differently for the same origin/destination and date is seat availability. Historical fares are used occasionally, but as far as I know, there is no such thing as historical seat availability. It's too volatile. Published fares change occasionally, but seat availability changes every minute of every day.
Old May 1, 2024, 1:46 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Platinum
Sometime flight cancellations can provide opportunities (better routing, better equipment, etc) for no extra cost. I wish the OP the best of luck.
Antarius likes this.
Old May 1, 2024, 2:40 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by Kevin AA
Absent some strange fare restrictions, the only reason why one itinerary will price out differently for the same origin/destination and date is seat availability.
It's way more complex than that.
Old May 1, 2024, 2:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Cledaybuck
It's way more complex than that.
Where it is still a connection and not a stopover, other than specific flight restrictions in a fare, not sure now much more complicated it could likely be in the type of situation described by OP

I think it unlikely that there was the same booking class availability but at a higher fare in the OP's case
Kevin AA likes this.
Old May 1, 2024, 9:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Where it is still a connection and not a stopover, other than specific flight restrictions in a fare, not sure now much more complicated it could likely be in the type of situation described by OP

I think it unlikely that there was the same booking class availability but at a higher fare in the OP's case
There are often time of day restrictions in fares so you could still have a different fare in the same booking class.

if one has a screen shot of the fare difference between the two options, one could pursue a DOT complaint or even a small claims lawsuit. While theres no guarantee of winning, it does seem like a classic bait and switch.
Old May 1, 2024, 9:43 pm

I cannot think of any fare on AA to or from Europe that I have come across with a time of day restriction - Only day of week restrictions ( e.g. M-TH only or Fri,Sa,Su only )
Kevin AA likes this.
Old May 2, 2024, 3:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ijgordon
There are often time of day restrictions in fares so you could still have a different fare in the same booking class.

if one has a screen shot of the fare difference between the two options, one could pursue a DOT complaint or even a small claims lawsuit. While theres no guarantee of winning, it does seem like a classic bait and switch.
If OP feels ripped off, or doesn't like the other flight options, he can get a 100% refund from AA. There is no need for a DOT complaint or small claims lawsuit when AA will refund the trip based on a schedule change. It's that simple.
Old May 3, 2024, 7:58 am

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by ashill
I absolutely agree with nearly everything youre saying, including that AA will not refund the $800. But the last two sentences arent really true either. If they were, the price of the two alternative itineraries would have been the same, since theyre both transportation from origin to destination. This is definitely a situation that sucks for the OPs family and leaves them with no good or really fair options. AA refunding to the historical fare at time of purchase on the most-similar itinerary would be the fair thing to do, but it wont happen, certainly not unless the OP cancels and asks for a full refund due to the schedule change. But OP, if your family is willing to cancel and book another carrier, it doesnt hurt to ask about repricing based on the historical fare for the itinerary you wound up with when calling to cancel. Worst (and most likely) thing they can say is no.
Late to the game here but AA doesn't guarantee "a good connection." This is the risk of booking several months in advance. You can either take the new connection, ask for a reroute or try to get a refund and book on another airline.
Old May 3, 2024, 10:26 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by EXP100
Late to the game here but AA doesn't guarantee "a good connection." This is the risk of booking several months in advance. You can either take the new connection, ask for a reroute or try to get a refund and book on another airline.
Related question based on the subject of this thread. If a person books a cheaper connection say AAA-BBB-DDD well in advance and then a schedule change happens that is undesirable, can the person change the flight to AAA-CCC-DDD? Maybe the question is basic, but I am curious if the connecting city can be totally altered to produce a desired result.
Old May 3, 2024, 10:38 am

Originally Posted by apeortdz
Related question based on the subject of this thread. If a person books a cheaper connection say AAA-BBB-DDD well in advance and then a schedule change happens that is undesirable, can the person change the flight to AAA-CCC-DDD? Maybe the question is basic, but I am curious if the connecting city can be totally altered to produce a desired result.
If the schedule change is greater than 1 hour, then you do get a great deal of flexibility, including changing or removing a connection point, without having to have original booking inventory availability.
apeortdz, Kevin AA and Antarius like this.
Old May 3, 2024, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I cannot think of any fare on AA to or from Europe that I have come across with a time of day restriction - Only day of week restrictions ( e.g. M-TH only or Fri,Sa,Su only )
Heres one on UA. Feel free to prove that hasnt ever existed on AA.
Old May 3, 2024, 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by ijgordon
Heres one on UA. Feel free to prove that hasn’t ever existed on AA.
Not sure how an example of a UA fare proves an AA fare

Can you provide an example that would have any relationship to the OP's issue ? I stated that I haven't come across such a fare on AA - I didn't try to make an absolute claim and to prove it has never existed would be a complete waste of time - in relation to the OP, can you provide an example of a current AA transatlantic fare which has time of day restrictions on the domestic sector?

I still doubt very much that the OP's fare was due to time of day and much more likely due to availability
USFlyerUS and Kevin AA like this.
Old May 4, 2024, 3:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Pointing out the existence of a discount business class fare (presumably OP is in economy?), on a different airline, with a time of day restriction on the inbound international flight has nothing to do with this topic, which was outbound, departing on a domestic flight with a connection to an international flight. Apples and oranges.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.