Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Paid more for a good connection, AA cancels that flight and puts us on cheaper one.

Paid more for a good connection, AA cancels that flight and puts us on cheaper one.

Old Apr 30, 2024, 9:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott LT Plat | Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by lrdpenn
Ah I think you're right. Figuring out AAA BBB and CCC will be a lot harder now
Absent of any information, DFW-LIT-NRT is what I'm sticking with.
Old Apr 30, 2024, 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by Antarius
Absent of any information, DFW-LIT-NRT is what I'm sticking with.
That LIT-NRT segment in an ERJ-170 would be a beating, especially with the technical stops for refueling.
O62, jrm68, wrp96 and 4 others like this.
Old Apr 30, 2024, 10:15 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, AA EXP, DL PM, AS 100k (fake), B6 M3 (fake), BA Gold (fake), UA FO.
This is admittedly harebrained, but let's say OP changes to another connection point or flight combo (not ideal), flies the outbound, then makes a voluntary change to the return itinerary, wouldn't that force a reprice based on historical fares? (Though perhaps it would only reprice the return segment, and not factor in the involuntary change to the outbound...?)
uanj likes this.
Old May 1, 2024, 1:05 am

I think we all see why, morally, the OP deserves to pay what a ticket would have cost for the actual flight taken. But we also know the airline won't do that because that sort of adjustment would open a huge can of worms when schedules change.

I wonder whether the OP could win a chargeback from their credit card. It seems pretty straightforward: "The airline offered me A for $1000 or B for $800. I bought A and paid $1000. Then they gave me B so they overcharged me $200 which they refuse to refund." Yes, I know the contract of carriage says the airline can do that, but IF you can provide evidence of what the cheaper flight would have cost, the logic might be persuasive. This might work better if the OP accepted AA's proposed new flights rather than requesting something different.
Old May 1, 2024, 1:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by seattlebruce
I wonder whether the OP could win a chargeback from their credit card. It seems pretty straightforward: "The airline offered me A for $1000 or B for $800. I bought A and paid $1000. Then they gave me B so they overcharged me $200 which they refuse to refund." Yes, I know the contract of carriage says the airline can do that, but IF you can provide evidence of what the cheaper flight would have cost, the logic might be persuasive.
It might work, but OPs profile indicates they have top AA status. Not sure I would put that and my RDM balance at risk here.
hhdl likes this.
Old May 1, 2024, 1:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

That wouldn't work as a chargeback since the airline would be able to simply reply showing the CoC

If the person wanted to cancel booking due to flight cancellation, then I suspect that the chargeback would be fine

The OP didn't pay more for a longer connection - the OP paid more due to availability and price of the flights booked

The OP's question has been answered and it seems clear that the OP doesn't want assistance beyond that
Old May 1, 2024, 4:03 am

I would ask for a change from AAA connection to XXX connection. Oh wait I just realized children are involved so no XXX. Just graping for a little humour
Old May 1, 2024, 4:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Centurion
I would ask for a change from AAA connection to XXX connection. Oh wait I just realized children are involved so no XXX. Just graping for a little humour
That's more scraping than graping...

Old May 1, 2024, 7:01 am

Programs: UA MM, AA almost MM
I found the whole thread interesting. OP is UA 1K, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist and Hilton Diamond. That's a lot of travel unless he got his statuses by being a big spender. And yet the post reads like a post by someone who travels occasionally and not so much a big spender. He did said that he prefers UA and maybe just looking for the 'NO" to his question to justify a move to the more expensive UA tickets. UA is no better. I constantly find my "more expensive" UA flights canceled and reticketed into a less desirable routing.
AJNEDC, hhdl and npretnar like this.
Old May 1, 2024, 7:04 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
I think this thread has run its course unless the OP comes back asking for more assistance and/or provides more details.
npretnar likes this.
Old May 1, 2024, 7:41 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by npretnar
But it is possible this will result in greater out of pocket cost for the OP than simply performing an exhaustive search of available OW itinerary, maintaining the current AA reservation and asking AA to put them on the alternative routing.

It's probably prudent for one to search all possible Oneworld routing options before canceling.
Of course. But the OP asked how they can punish AA: getting a refund and flying another airline is how. (And it doesnt have to be oneworld: I dont see anything in the OP indicating a particular oneworld preference. But the OP specifically said United is now more expensive, so it will cost the family.)
npretnar likes this.
Old May 1, 2024, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
I don't understand why people come to FlyerTalk, asking for help, and refuse to provide us with any details of the trip other than "somewhere in the U.S." to "somewhere in Europe" and "sometime in August", after being asked multiple times. We are not mind readers!

The idea of a chargeback makes no sense. AA will refund this entire trip; just ask. The merchant doesn't like it and the bank doesn't like it when people do that. The purpose of a chargeback is to get a refund which you are owed from a merchant who refuses to provide a refund.

AA will not refund $800. You don't buy layover times or layover airports. You are buying transportation from origin to destination.
Old May 1, 2024, 10:17 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
I hope OP has looked at other options they will need to ask for when their connection goes to pot. Or to ask it another way - if the current routing they were put on was the only routing available at the time of original booking, what would they have booked instead?
DiamondMile likes this.
Old May 1, 2024, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Kevin AA
I don't understand why people come to FlyerTalk, asking for help, and refuse to provide us with any details of the trip other than "somewhere in the U.S." to "somewhere in Europe" and "sometime in August", after being asked multiple times. We are not mind readers!
Except that the OP did not ask for "help"; he asked a specific question. From Post #4:

"There isn't a better connection unless we choose a different (farther) connection.

"I understand all these points, of course I can change to a different flight now, or even get money back and start over with a diff airline.

"My point is prices now are a lot more than when I booked, so all those options are bad options.

"My question is if I have any other recourse about American pocketing an extra $800 from us by putting us on a cheaper connection than the more expensive one we had paid for."

The OP's question was answered with a "No" many posts ago, and he is apparently uninterested in any other routing suggestions.

Time to let this go.
USFlyerUS, wrp96 and flyaxa like this.
Old May 1, 2024, 10:59 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by Kevin AA
AA will not refund $800. You don't buy layover times or layover airports. You are buying transportation from origin to destination.
I absolutely agree with nearly everything youre saying, including that AA will not refund the $800. But the last two sentences arent really true either. If they were, the price of the two alternative itineraries would have been the same, since theyre both transportation from origin to destination. This is definitely a situation that sucks for the OPs family and leaves them with no good or really fair options. AA refunding to the historical fare at time of purchase on the most-similar itinerary would be the fair thing to do, but it wont happen, certainly not unless the OP cancels and asks for a full refund due to the schedule change. But OP, if your family is willing to cancel and book another carrier, it doesnt hurt to ask about repricing based on the historical fare for the itinerary you wound up with when calling to cancel. Worst (and most likely) thing they can say is no.
arf04 and ezefllying like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.