Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Paid more for a good connection, AA cancels that flight and puts us on cheaper one.

Paid more for a good connection, AA cancels that flight and puts us on cheaper one.

Old Apr 30, 2024, 1:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by USFlyerUS
Again, that's not all you can do. If it means a 45 min connection to an international flight vs one with a longer connection time but at a further connection point, I'd take the latter every day of the week. The last thing you want is a minor delay at the originating city to cause them to misconnect. That will be much worse than what you're dealing with now.
​​​​​​
Yup of course. The 45min connection is not an option with kids. The only other route on American is 7hr connection through diff airport, which seems like what they will have to do. And united is now significantly more expensive than when we first booked. So again, all bad options. Was simply asking if there was any other way to get American to compensate the extra $800 that was paid for the better connection.
Old Apr 30, 2024, 1:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP; SQ Gold
Originally Posted by chaschas
None of that is the point here. Yes there are other connecting cities and I'd even prefer to put them on united which is what I wanted to in the first place but they wanted to keep their miles there.

Point is simply that now, 3 months later, all flights are understandably more expensive, so any alternative airport is going to be more.

All done then, I was simply hoping there was something else I could do to have American compensate the price diff before I go talk to my family and tell them they now have to try to do the 45min connection with two small kids or book an entirely different route or a different airline.

​​
So people are just trying to help you here. If you provide us with origin, destination, and date the collective expertise of this forum may be able to help you find a routing that works for you better, which the AAgent and yourself have missed. Then you can propose this routing to a new AAgent next time you call in. There are often many options going to Europe, including using the OW JV partners and connecting in their hubs.

Perhaps Im not clear nobody is suggesting you cancel your flight and buy a new one, but that AA will move you to an itinerary you are comfortable with if you find that itinerary and ask for it.
USFlyerUS, jrm68, JPG3392 and 6 others like this.
Old Apr 30, 2024, 1:16 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
There will be no path to a refund of the historical price differential.

But you could get rerouted on BA metal and still credit miles to AA.

Not sure I get the insistance on remaining on AA.
bgasser, hhdl and npretnar like this.
Old Apr 30, 2024, 1:24 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by beachfan
But you could get rerouted on BA metal and still credit miles to AA.

Not sure I get the insistance on remaining on AA.
Without knowing the specific cities, this may or may not be an option or could result in a double connect. We're trying to help the OP (beyond his original question) to see if we can find a workable solution, but it's hard without specifics.
Happy, ksucats, wrp96 and 5 others like this.
Old Apr 30, 2024, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott LT Plat | Hyatt Discoverist
​​​​​​
Was simply asking if there was any other way to get American to compensate the extra $800 that was paid for the better connection.
There is not.

Unless you're here to rant and ignore everyone, do what several posters have asked and share your original and new flight. We can help propose alternatives that may work better for you.
Old Apr 30, 2024, 2:33 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by USFlyerUS
Without knowing the specific cities, this may or may not be an option or could result in a double connect. We're trying to help the OP (beyond his original question) to see if we can find a workable solution, but it's hard without specifics.
my point was around the seeming reluctance to fly another airline and I pointed out that if the appropriate alternative was on BA, everyone could still get their miles.

I didnt say BA was the best alternative, but there doesnt seem to be an interest in alternatives by OP
Antarius, hhdl and npretnar like this.
Old Apr 30, 2024, 3:44 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Regardless none of that was my point or the reason for this. I was simply asking it there is any other way to hold American accountable for charging us $800 more for a better connection and then cancel that one and put us on cheaper one with no compensation.​​​​
There is: request a full refund from AA (you should be eligible for one given the schedule change) and book with a different airline.
travelingdrsuz likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2024, 3:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP; SQ Gold
Originally Posted by ashill
There is: request a full refund from AA (you should be eligible for one given the schedule change) and book with a different airline.
But it is possible this will result in greater out of pocket cost for the OP than simply performing an exhaustive search of available OW itinerary, maintaining the current AA reservation and asking AA to put them on the alternative routing.

It's probably prudent for one to search all possible Oneworld routing options before canceling.
JPG3392 and Antarius like this.
Old Apr 30, 2024, 6:45 pm

Is there anything else we can do?
Fly the trip and worry about *if* you have problems with the connection.
LETTERBOY, lrdpenn, wrp96 and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 30, 2024, 7:44 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro
OP is either ghosting us or en route (unknown since they don't provide any routing or other details to allow others to assist. Oh well, their lose!

OP, we understand venting on FT, but help is also available when info is given. Many here have access to paid and other systems that can find you the info you want. We are friendly in general and like to help....we need airline, routing, cabin class and method of payment (miles or cas). With that info, alternative routes will be found by the brains on this forum and get you where you need to be!
apeortdz, GNRMatt, JPG3392 and 3 others like this.
Old Apr 30, 2024, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Bradhattan
OP is either ghosting us or en route (unknown since they don't provide any routing or other details to allow others to assist. Oh well, their lose!

OP, we understand venting on FT, but help is also available when info is given. Many here have access to paid and other systems that can find you the info you want. We are friendly in general and like to help....we need airline, routing, cabin class and method of payment (miles or cas). With that info, alternative routes will be found by the brains on this forum and get you where you need to be!
The OP is not the passenger, and he asked a specific question which has been answered. He apparently is not interested in pursuing other options at this point on FlyerTalk, and I think that we should respect his decision.

I think that it's time for this thread to be closed.
Happy, watson10 and hhdl like this.
Old Apr 30, 2024, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by Bradhattan
Read the original post - OP isnt traveling for a while.

We paid for 4 seats from the states to Europe for August.
OP - airlines generally dont refund the difference if you picked a more expensive flight and they put you on a cheaper flight due to a schedule change. As others have pointed out, the workaround would be to cancel and rebook, but that doesnt give you the original pricing, so often doesnt help. On the flip side, if you had booked a cheaper combination of flights and that was canceled, the airline would also put you on a more expensive set of flights without charging you the differential of the original higher price and what you paid. Its just how it works. If you fly enough, it probably evens out.
trooper and roadtriper like this.
Old Apr 30, 2024, 8:22 pm

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott
I’ll take a guess that OP is traveling through JFK, was on the late evening FCO frequency that was recently pulled (FTs favorite frequency reduction in the last week) and is coming from one of the Eagle JFK routes like Cincinnati or Cleveland
Old Apr 30, 2024, 8:53 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by lrdpenn
Ill take a guess that OP is traveling through JFK, was on the late evening FCO frequency that was recently pulled (FTs favorite frequency reduction in the last week) and is coming from one of the Eagle JFK routes like Cincinnati or Cleveland
Im pretty sure he said the flight to Europe didnt change, it was the domestic flight that got canceled. Its hard to tell with all the unnecessary cloak and dagger stuff though.
DiamondMile and hhdl like this.
Old Apr 30, 2024, 8:57 pm

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott
Originally Posted by Cledaybuck
Im pretty sure he said the flight to Europe didnt change, it was the domestic flight that got canceled. Its hard to tell with all the unnecessary cloak and dagger stuff though.
Ah I think you're right. Figuring out AAA BBB and CCC will be a lot harder now

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.