Decline of Admirals clubs?

Old Apr 1, 2024, 11:30 am
  #61  
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Chicago
Programs: AA- EXP UA - Silver SPG- PLT Marriott- PLT
Posts: 755
Originally Posted by Antarius
That was your takeaway?

It's an old phrase.
must have been triggered! Good lord.

the point is that anything LUS related was, and remains an absolute dump. I'm not sure why they can't invest in those clubs and bring them up to the standards that the LAA clubs were/are.
I first joined the Admirals Clubs in 2010, and they had started offering some free alcohol drinks. Prior to that, you had to pay for any alcoholic drink. I don't remember what they offered for food, but don't think it much. The offerings are better today, but the clientele has become much more diverse. I miss the days when it was only business travelers. I don't think children under the age of 10 should be allowed. Sorry for all of you traveling with your brood who think the clubs are a day care center.
chicagoflyer1976 is offline  
Old Apr 1, 2024, 2:03 pm
  #62  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Austin
Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA *S, BA Fanboy
Posts: 414
Originally Posted by PWMTrav
They look a lot nicer, but don't worry, they're just as disappointing unless you're there for the pancake machine. I would not advise going out of your way for the Alaska lounges. I really do wonder how Alaska saw what Delta did with the SEA SkyClub and still decided they were doing enough. The Alaska lounge in the north satellite is really nice looking, but they just up and decided that hardboiled eggs, yogurt, cheese cubes, and soup are the kinds of food people really like and to not bother with anything substantial.
You're glossing over the barista made coffee, which for many, is the greatest single offering of any US airline lounge.
Red Raider LV is offline  
Old Apr 1, 2024, 10:12 pm
  #63  
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Midwest
Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond, BonVoy Gold, BW Diamond, RR Premium
Posts: 377
Originally Posted by Abidjan
I gave up ACs over five years ago and haven't missed it once. Twitter/the AA app give me all the customer support I need, in a pinch. Status gets me OW lounges when international and that works fine.
I mean no disrespect when I say that you must not have had any serious customer service needs in the past five years. While Twitter sometimes has assisted me, they have been useless when I have been stranded in airports. In the past 13 months that has happened twice: Once due to the incompetence of AUS airport ops. (NOT AA, but the usual airport shenanigans) and once 1.5 weeks ago when I was interlined and given the last seat available in the whole city to my destination that night. Absolutely worth it to me.

Meanwhile, I have been attempting for the past week to send an actual letter--like a real letter--of commendation regarding an employee, which you would think would be welcomed, and I am battling an AI bot that insists "she" is not. I don't doubt Twitter will be too.
travelingdrsuz is offline  
Old Apr 2, 2024, 11:12 am
  #64  
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Texas
Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
Posts: 2,667
Originally Posted by travelingdrsuz
. . . . .Meanwhile, I have been attempting for the past week to send an actual letter--like a real letter--of commendation regarding an employee, which you would think would be welcomed, and I am battling an AI bot that insists "she" is not. I don't doubt Twitter will be too.
I'm not sure I understand your meaning about an AI bot that is somehow frustrating the process, but, a mailing address is:

American Airlines Customer Relations
400 E. Sky Harbor Blvd.
Phoenix, AZ 85034


Last June a crew out of Nashville did an unusual, transparent job of handling a weather delay (that could have been avoided if the passengers had acted on repeated requests to shut up, sit down, and buckle in so we could get in line and leave on time. But that is a rant for another thread).

Especially the mid-cabin flight attendant, who did an outstanding job of relaying real information and personally charming 10 rows of frustrated people, some of whom were all but drunk and could have quickly gone the other way, to remain positive and fall in love with her. When we finally got home to Texas, the same flight attendant noticed we were giving up finding a lost old iPad with my airplane music on it. So she got down on her hands and knees, and felt along between the seat and cabin wall and found it. (Who knew there is a pocket on the far side of an Airbus window seat things can fall into? She did. Said it wasn't the first time she had retrieved something there).

I am negligent in almost never sending in deserved feedback, even when very appropriate. Even if it is very positive. But this time since I couldn't adopt her, she was at least getting a written compliment. (Like you I could not find an electronic way to send it). All I had was a first name, flight number and date, where she was seated, and a mailing address I don't remember how I found.

Received a semi-personalized mailed acknowledgement back in two or three weeks. I at least hope a copy of both letters made it into her file. She earned it.
jayer is offline  
Old Apr 2, 2024, 8:18 pm
  #65  
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,312
Originally Posted by enviroian
I'm at CLT B now . Total zoo--the club--the concourses--everywhere. Here in the club it's families all over the place little kids at the tables eating chicken out of bags, freestyle machine inop, only one working faucet in the men's room, bags and coats on seats "saving them", listening to drunk rednecks at the bar try to flirt with the bartender...the list is long and distinguished.
To be fair, it is peak Spring Break travel season to warmer vacation destinations, almost all of which on AA connect in CLT. Alcohol on spring break? I'm completely SHOCKED I tell you!

Originally Posted by Stripe
The clubs in the former US Air hubs are the poor stepchildren. Small and crowded and in a seemingly permanent state of construction or improvisation. AUS is a zoo in the late afternoon before the BA flight boards. I have never been to the STL club. Otherwise I think they are fine and overall worth the price of admission. I was in the ORD club about a week ago and there was plenty of space and the food was quite good. I do agree that too many families with kids can spoil things.
Originally Posted by jrosstx
A bit offensive to those of us who have raised stepchildren and loved them as our own, but whatever
Originally Posted by Antarius
That was your takeaway?

It's an old phrase.
not only is the expression quite common and old, it OFTEN is accompanied by "red-headed" and not unusual for it to be one step further: "ugly red-headed stepchild."
Even more triggering adjectives!
hhdl likes this.
LovePrunes is offline  
Old Apr 2, 2024, 9:25 pm
  #66  
 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Posts: 34
Originally Posted by PhillyPhlyer40
I love the pulled chicken and cheddar broc soup!!!
I got food poisoning from the chicken last week and don’t think I’ll be eating in the club for a bit
kyleclogan is online now  
Old Apr 2, 2024, 9:35 pm
  #67  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Wesley Chapel, FL
Programs: American Airlines
Posts: 29,970
Originally Posted by LovePrunes
To be fair, it is peak Spring Break travel season to warmer vacation destinations, almost all of which on AA connect in CLT. Alcohol on spring break? I'm completely SHOCKED I tell you!!
They were business men not college kids. Either way your point is taken--it was spring break so families everywhere.
enviroian is online now  
Old Apr 2, 2024, 11:09 pm
  #68  
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Midwest
Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond, BonVoy Gold, BW Diamond, RR Premium
Posts: 377
Originally Posted by jayer
I'm not sure I understand your meaning about an AI bot that is somehow frustrating the process, but, a mailing address is:

American Airlines Customer Relations
400 E. Sky Harbor Blvd.
Phoenix, AZ 85034


Last June a crew out of Nashville did an unusual, transparent job of handling a weather delay (that could have been avoided if the passengers had acted on repeated requests to shut up, sit down, and buckle in so we could get in line and leave on time. But that is a rant for another thread).

Especially the mid-cabin flight attendant, who did an outstanding job of relaying real information and personally charming 10 rows of frustrated people, some of whom were all but drunk and could have quickly gone the other way, to remain positive and fall in love with her. When we finally got home to Texas, the same flight attendant noticed we were giving up finding a lost old iPad with my airplane music on it. So she got down on her hands and knees, and felt along between the seat and cabin wall and found it. (Who knew there is a pocket on the far side of an Airbus window seat things can fall into? She did. Said it wasn't the first time she had retrieved something there).

I am negligent in almost never sending in deserved feedback, even when very appropriate. Even if it is very positive. But this time since I couldn't adopt her, she was at least getting a written compliment. (Like you I could not find an electronic way to send it). All I had was a first name, flight number and date, where she was seated, and a mailing address I don't remember how I found.

Received a semi-personalized mailed acknowledgement back in two or three weeks. I at least hope a copy of both letters made it into her file. She earned it.
I considered that, but I want it to go two places: the main customer relations office, but the ORD AC where she bent over backwards to help me. I want it in her file for AA and also for her direct supervisor to see it. I fly back out or ORD in 3 weeks and if I don't find a great solution, I am printing the letter and marching it right into that AC! At that point I will mail the other copy.

Last edited by travelingdrsuz; Apr 2, 2024 at 11:10 pm Reason: Left out quote
travelingdrsuz is offline  
Old Apr 3, 2024, 5:01 am
  #69  
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: DCA/IAD
Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Posts: 7,811
Originally Posted by Adelphos
AA also simply suffers from a lack of clubs compared to Delta. Here are some non-hub airports where I have flown recently where AA does not have a club, but Delta (for example) does. When flying from these airports back home, particularly on business, I am not considering AA because I may want to have access to a club at these locations:
New Orleans
Kansas City
Jacksonville
West Palm Beach
Fort Lauderdale
Seattle

AA has actual clubs in 32 cities; DL has actual clubs in 36 cities. Admirals club members can access the AS Lounge at SEA.

So there is a difference, but the difference isn't significant.

The biggest gaps in AA's club system (IMHO) are LAS and MSY and SAN (which is accessible to Admirals Club members but not authorized users). But DL doesn't have a LAS location either (they partner with the Centurion Lounge so its not a true DL Sky Club).

What I don't have via my Admirals membership is supplemented by Priority Pass and my Amex card.
travelingdrsuz likes this.
IADCAflyer is offline  
Old Apr 3, 2024, 5:03 am
  #70  
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: DCA/IAD
Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Posts: 7,811
Originally Posted by steveholt
You've listed almost entirely a series of locations in the Southeast, where DL is strongest. The MCI club is brand new and a wonderful addition to the network, and SEA is a DL hub (or quasi-hub). AA also has a club in Nashville.

If your list was:

Charlotte
Houston
Orange County
Pittsburgh
St. Louis
Toronto

You would have listed a bunch of places where AA has a club and DL does not.
How about London. That's a big hole.
IADCAflyer is offline  
Old Apr 3, 2024, 5:06 am
  #71  
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: DCA/IAD
Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Posts: 7,811
Originally Posted by Abidjan
I gave up ACs over five years ago and haven't missed it once. Twitter/the AA app give me all the customer support I need, in a pinch. Status gets me OW lounges when international and that works fine.
Your situation is a bit unique - the majority of passengers flying in the US have access to the USA located clubs only through a membership. I find the AA app a weak remedy compared to the ability of the AA agents when irrops situations come up.
LovePrunes and travelingdrsuz like this.
IADCAflyer is offline  
Old Apr 3, 2024, 6:27 pm
  #72  
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Programs: Some/Most/All
Posts: 235
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
The biggest gaps in AA's club system (IMHO) are [...] SAN (which is accessible to Admirals Club members but not authorized users).
SAN is planned to get an actual AC after DL moves to T1, as AA wants to take their space for an AC.
JBKettle is offline  
Old Apr 3, 2024, 7:42 pm
  #73  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: KHOU/KIAH
Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 11,214
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
Your situation is a bit unique - the majority of passengers flying in the US have access to the USA located clubs only through a membership. I find the AA app a weak remedy compared to the ability of the AA agents when irrops situations come up.
I took their post to mean that they have access to lounges when traveling internationally, not that they have non AA OW status to access lounges always.

I'm in the same boat as them regarding the lack of value. 10+ years of at least EXP and I've never carried an AC membership.
Antarius is online now  
Old Apr 4, 2024, 8:47 am
  #74  
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Dallas
Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Posts: 591
Originally Posted by JBKettle
SAN is planned to get an actual AC after DL moves to T1, as AA wants to take their space for an AC.
I didn't realize that ... I knew AS was supposedly taking over the Aspire space. Does this mean AA's gates will move to T2W? If so, that would be huge news as their current gates in T2E, that they've been in forever, are some of the worst in the AA system.
AAway is offline  
Old Apr 5, 2024, 7:44 am
  #75  
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Programs: Some/Most/All
Posts: 235
Originally Posted by AAway
I didn't realize that ... I knew AS was supposedly taking over the Aspire space.
AFAIK, AS taking over the Aspire Lounge is a done deal, but Swissport is continuing to operate it until AS rebrands it. The big question there is 'when are they going to rebrand it?' (And the more specific question inside of that question for AS & AA flyers is 'when will they cut down on access?) All of this info comes from an SDIA board meeting approving the AS takeover of the lounge lease, so we don't have full details, just what was mentioned within that meeting. It was mentioned there is some unoccupied space adjacent to the lounge, and that AS was considering leasing that space as well and expanding the lounge. It is unclear if they are going to do a quick rebrand and minor refresh soon, then expand and remodel the lounge at a later date, or wait to rebrand until that expansion and remodel is complete.
Does this mean AA's gates will move to T2W? If so, that would be huge news as their current gates in T2E, that they've been in forever, are some of the worst in the AA system.
AA moving to T2W was not explicitly mentioned, but that's a safe assumption if they are interested in the current DL lounge space. While I agree that T2E is not up to snuff, I would have thought that AA & AS would prefer to be neighbors as opposed to someone else moving in to the AA gates, but maybe this means that AS wants to take the AA gates for themselves. Another possibility would be that this gives T2E some breathing room for refurbishment. (Which I really hope means a full LAX-style rebuild-while-open.) Perhaps AA takes the gates closest to T2E (which IIRC are DL gates now, so that's a natural swap) and is still reasonably close to AS in T2E.
JBKettle is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.