Decline of Admirals clubs?

Old Mar 26, 2024, 11:56 am
  #16  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Programs: AA, UA, Marriott
Posts: 1,101
For me the value proposition was higher as a quieter space away from crowded gates, good IROPS support, coffee and soft drinks, continental breakfast in the AM, light snacks in the PM, and relatively low cost. I don’t need crappy food or low quality drinks I can do without - and I could certainly do without them and the significantly higher fee

Everyone wanted to copy delta because they offered higher quality food and drink. Well, I’d argue because so many delta people were AMEX cardholders and relatively infrequent flyers and therefore wanted a lounge to be more of an “experience.” I just want a quiet place away from the gates where I can get help when I need it and coffee and a banana in the morning.
lrdpenn is offline  
Old Mar 26, 2024, 12:35 pm
  #17  
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Programs: Bonvoy ambassador - lifetime plat / Hilton diamond / hyatt globalist / AA CK baby!
Posts: 872
Originally Posted by travelingdrsuz
Which DFW club? Because A and D are certainly not "tiny." I was in A today, and it was rather empty at 3 pm on Monday. The guacamole is pretty popular.
Is it the greatest food ever? Of course not. I don't go there for the food.
Also, the credit card, which I also have, is $595. Yes, it's a lot, but now that it has some travel coverage, that helps. Plus the AC access. You know when that AC access really mattered to me, crowded and all? Last Thursday in ORD when a delay of an hour turned into 19, and a wonderful AAngel interlined me on United--on about the only seat available the whole night--meaning I got to where I needed to be. That was a $709 walk up fare. That card paid for itself Thursday.
You can focus on the pork in STL or the fact that there are 5 ACs in DFW and the skytrain takes 5-10 minutes to take a tour of each.
I think this is really about perspective.
This.

Sme food is nice. a comfy chair and a less crowded environment than the terminal is great. clean bathrooms are a plus, but what you really pay for is support during travel disruptions. would you rather stand in line or be on hold for 6 hours, or 10 minutes? not to mention the agents in the AC will go above and beyond. I was once booked on BA I couldnt make my original flight, and once I was triple booked when weather was causing problems up and down the board. (as a lowly executive platinum)

if you are judging the AC b ythe food, then you likely dont fly enough to need it. drop the membership and spend your $ on food in the terminal.
travelingdrsuz likes this.
stant is online now  
Old Mar 26, 2024, 1:04 pm
  #18  
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Stilllwater OK (SWO)
Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
Posts: 1,844
Originally Posted by lrdpenn
For me the value proposition was higher as a quieter space away from crowded gates, good IROPS support, coffee and soft drinks, continental breakfast in the AM, light snacks in the PM, and relatively low cost. I don’t need crappy food or low quality drinks I can do without - and I could certainly do without them and the significantly higher fee

Everyone wanted to copy delta because they offered higher quality food and drink. Well, I’d argue because so many delta people were AMEX cardholders and relatively infrequent flyers and therefore wanted a lounge to be more of an “experience.” I just want a quiet place away from the gates where I can get help when I need it and coffee and a banana in the morning.
Agreed. And I do care about food, but I prefer just paying extra for what I want when I want it than just having access to a buffet line with some lackluster slop. "Back in the day" (i.e. 5 years ago), I really appreciated buying a "premium" bottle of wine, in a quiet and peaceful space to work, read, scroll, watch airplanes, close my eyes, and go to the bathroom. Sometimes I'd order one of the meals on the menu too. Staff was available and eager to help, and often provided tableside service. A couple workers in the old huge DFW D space (pre-FL days) got to know my wife's and I's wine preferences. It was somewhat glorious respite from the lines, crowds, and masses.

This last 6 months, it seems to be nearly always a zoo of people, dishes, bags, and even the bathrooms have lines. The food sometimes is okay for me (but not good, and my wife doesn't hardly ever like any of it). I am quite on the way out when my card is up for renewal after my busier summer travel season. The 450 was high enough for what I got out of it. The 695 (and kicking my wife off the card) and the crowds is definitely a no way.
MarkOK is offline  
Old Mar 26, 2024, 1:34 pm
  #19  
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: New York
Posts: 798
Originally Posted by gophish11
The experience will vary widely station to station, day to day. Not all clubs within a given airport will offer an equal experience, with DFW being probably the best example. I've had great experiences at some of my least favorite clubs, awful experiences at my usual favorites, and everything in between. Most folks like the new clubs at DCA, LGA, DEN, and SFO, everyone equally hates the clubs at PHX, CLT, MIA, MCO and PHL. Most of the rest offer a mixed bag.
whats wrong with MIA?
michael1023 is offline  
Old Mar 26, 2024, 1:45 pm
  #20  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: KHOU/KIAH
Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 11,228
Originally Posted by stant
This.

Sme food is nice. a comfy chair and a less crowded environment than the terminal is great. clean bathrooms are a plus, but what you really pay for is support during travel disruptions. would you rather stand in line or be on hold for 6 hours, or 10 minutes? not to mention the agents in the AC will go above and beyond. I was once booked on BA I couldnt make my original flight, and once I was triple booked when weather was causing problems up and down the board. (as a lowly executive platinum)

if you are judging the AC b ythe food, then you likely dont fly enough to need it. drop the membership and spend your $ on food in the terminal.
If you're on BA, you don't need a membership; you have access to the AC by virtue of status or class of service and a qualifying flight .
Antarius is online now  
Old Mar 26, 2024, 2:28 pm
  #21  
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Programs: Bonvoy ambassador - lifetime plat / Hilton diamond / hyatt globalist / AA CK baby!
Posts: 872
Originally Posted by Antarius
If you're on BA, you don't need a membership; you have access to the AC by virtue of status or class of service and a qualifying flight .
no. i was on american, a flight got canceled and the only other way to get me to where i was going was ba.
stant is online now  
Old Mar 26, 2024, 2:33 pm
  #22  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: KHOU/KIAH
Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 11,228
Originally Posted by stant
no. i was on american, a flight got canceled and the only other way to get me to where i was going was ba.
Point still stands- if you were on an AA flight that could have been replaced by BA, it would have been a route that grants access to the AC or FL by status or class of service.
Antarius is online now  
Old Mar 26, 2024, 2:51 pm
  #23  
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Programs: Bonvoy ambassador - lifetime plat / Hilton diamond / hyatt globalist / AA CK baby!
Posts: 872
Originally Posted by Antarius
Point still stands- if you were on an AA flight that could have been replaced by BA, it would have been a route that grants access to the AC or FL by status or class of service.
that has nothing to do with my comment.
aa wanted to put me on a flight (their metal) a few days later the agents in the AC put me on a ba flight that night.
the fact that i would have qualified for lounge access is not the point.
moth other example where I was triple booked - that was a domestic flight where I would not have had lounge access.

my point - and the point of the other fellow who I responded to - when you are in an AC, the service you get during irrops is worlds better. THAT is what you should be paying for.
chrisny2 likes this.
stant is online now  
Old Mar 26, 2024, 2:54 pm
  #24  
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Rolling Lakes Yacht Club
Posts: 4,984
Originally Posted by joeyE
I'd probably search for an alternate lounge like the Escape or Centurion.
IME, CLs are far worse than ACs. I don't even seek them out anymore
DataPlumber is offline  
Old Mar 26, 2024, 2:54 pm
  #25  
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Palm Beach/ New England
Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
Posts: 4,382
The lounges have gotten too crowded. But AA is already restricting access to those on AA (or codeshare) flights only. Not sure what else they can do to reduce the demand. The higher credit card fee is probably a good thing. It's probably also a good thing that many of the upthread posts indicate they will not renew. For the sake of the collective we, fewer users of the Admirals Clubs would be a net positive.

I have been a member since sometime in the 1990s. I remember the old, tiny upstairs AC at the (now demolished) KC terminal A. Yes you had to pay for drinks, but the agent basically poured four fingers of Scotch for something like five bucks, and that included a tip. It was enough for a two-hour departure delay. LOL I saw many storms come and go from those windows, basically by myself in the lounge. My other high-frequency O&D airport in those days was BDL and that tiny club never had more than four people in it (it was opened to AC members as soon as the US merger was announced).

I do miss the peace & quiet when there were multiple-hour delays.
fastflyer is offline  
Old Mar 26, 2024, 2:59 pm
  #26  
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Verdi, NV, SFO & Olympic (aka Squaw )Valley.
Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Posts: 3,823
Originally Posted by fastflyer
I do miss the peace & quiet when there were multiple-hour delays.
I'm in the vast minority here, but think it is great that more premium customers have a place at the airport. Agree it has been oversold, but think that things will eventually balance.
worldwidedreamer is offline  
Old Mar 26, 2024, 3:37 pm
  #27  
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Posts: 3,198
Originally Posted by DataPlumber
IME, CLs are far worse than ACs. I don't even seek them out anymore
Same. I gave up on CLs.
USFlyerUS is offline  
Old Mar 26, 2024, 3:56 pm
  #28  
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: PHL
Programs: AA EXP
Posts: 515
Originally Posted by DataPlumber
IME, CLs are far worse than ACs. I don't even seek them out anymore
C’mon…. CLs are much better - which is why they are more crowded. Much more crowded. If that is your criteria, fine. But CLs are better than ACs in all other ways.
Antarius likes this.
CMTinPHL is online now  
Old Mar 26, 2024, 4:59 pm
  #29  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Programs: AA, UA, Marriott
Posts: 1,101
Originally Posted by MarkOK
Agreed. And I do care about food, but I prefer just paying extra for what I want when I want it than just having access to a buffet line with some lackluster slop. "Back in the day" (i.e. 5 years ago), I really appreciated buying a "premium" bottle of wine, in a quiet and peaceful space to work, read, scroll, watch airplanes, close my eyes, and go to the bathroom. Sometimes I'd order one of the meals on the menu too.
Fully agree. $250+ buys a lot of food / drink of my choice off their menu. I'd prefer that anytime.
CMTinPHL and MarkOK like this.
lrdpenn is offline  
Old Mar 26, 2024, 5:33 pm
  #30  
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Mundelein, Il
Programs: Executive Platinum
Posts: 482
IMO the Admiral’s clubs are not going downhill. I would say they have improved. My experience is mostly with ORD, DFW, and MIA.
cjglick likes this.
jagoffee is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.