Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Flying "Contour Airlines as Public Charter" on ERJ 135/145 through AA.com to PKB...?

Flying "Contour Airlines as Public Charter" on ERJ 135/145 through AA.com to PKB...?

Old Mar 22, 2024, 10:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP

I have an opportunity through work to travel CLT-BKW-PKB and back in order to work in an area close to PKB with booking through AA.com with Contour Airlines ERJ 135/145 as the aircraft and hopping through one small airport to get to another small airport. My other option is to fly to CMH through more standard bookings with American Eagle/PSA/AA mainline, though this would put me significantly further from my work site. I am hoping to find someone on here who has had reason to fly to PKB via CLT->BKW (or really anywhere through some Contour Airlines destination) and have some questions.....

1) As EXP would I get the same checked baggage allowance given I am booking through AA on the ERJ's? It appears that I would through Contour's website but want to make sure. Would bags check through both ways without much hassle? I would be bringing one checked bag well under 50 lbs along with a backpack as a carryon.
2) Would I get LP and AAdvantage miles (with multiplier for status) flying with Contour? I have never seen the "Contour Airlines as Public Charter" on the flight info when booking so have no idea about this.
3) The AA.com system has a 15 minute connection at BKW, also a very small regional airport, at least through what I see via aa.com. Is this doable? It may well be the exact same airplane flying CLT-BKW-PKB which would make sense, but not sure.
4) If anyone has flown this way, looking for info on the inflight service and seating. I believe they don't serve alcohol on the flights which is not a huge deal, but seats themselves appear to be much like domestic first class on AA mainline from what I can gather(?). Additional information or review of that product would be welcomed. If alcohol is served or can be brought on as minis I would be interested in knowing this, though again not crucial to know.
5) I cannot select a seat if booking through AA.com; would I be able to by calling Contour? All of the seats are effectively the same but I would want one on the left side of the plane so I would have window/aisle to myself ideally.
6) Any thoughts on rental car service at PKB? The booking would also get me into a car via corporate channels. I see Hertz connected to the airport but do not know if they actually service the airport and their official location is 15 minutes away via car. FWIW I have not flown into a small regional airport for work ever.

I love a beautiful drive and the idea of flying small craft to small airports, but not if the extra hassle would never make this whole idea worth it. I could call Contour to get more info on all of this but if it is all moot due to other factors I don't want to waste their time or mine with the call and queries.

Thanks for any thoughts from anyone who has travelled this sort of trip recently.
FlyingEgghead likes this.

Last edited by Rossodio; Mar 22, 2024 at 10:38 pm
Old Mar 23, 2024, 2:13 am

Originally Posted by Rossodio
I have an opportunity through work to travel CLT-BKW-PKB and back in order to work in an area close to PKB with booking through AA.com with Contour Airlines ERJ 135/145 as the aircraft and hopping through one small airport to get to another small airport. My other option is to fly to CMH through more standard bookings with American Eagle/PSA/AA mainline, though this would put me significantly further from my work site. I am hoping to find someone on here who has had reason to fly to PKB via CLT->BKW (or really anywhere through some Contour Airlines destination) and have some questions.....

1) As EXP would I get the same checked baggage allowance given I am booking through AA on the ERJ's? It appears that I would through Contour's website but want to make sure. Would bags check through both ways without much hassle? I would be bringing one checked bag well under 50 lbs along with a backpack as a carryon.
2) Would I get LP and AAdvantage miles (with multiplier for status) flying with Contour? I have never seen the "Contour Airlines as Public Charter" on the flight info when booking so have no idea about this.
3) The AA.com system has a 15 minute connection at BKW, also a very small regional airport, at least through what I see via aa.com. Is this doable? It may well be the exact same airplane flying CLT-BKW-PKB which would make sense, but not sure.
4) If anyone has flown this way, looking for info on the inflight service and seating. I believe they don't serve alcohol on the flights which is not a huge deal, but seats themselves appear to be much like domestic first class on AA mainline from what I can gather(?). Additional information or review of that product would be welcomed. If alcohol is served or can be brought on as minis I would be interested in knowing this, though again not crucial to know.
5) I cannot select a seat if booking through AA.com; would I be able to by calling Contour? All of the seats are effectively the same but I would want one on the left side of the plane so I would have window/aisle to myself ideally.
6) Any thoughts on rental car service at PKB? The booking would also get me into a car via corporate channels. I see Hertz connected to the airport but do not know if they actually service the airport and their official location is 15 minutes away via car. FWIW I have not flown into a small regional airport for work ever.

I love a beautiful drive and the idea of flying small craft to small airports, but not if the extra hassle would never make this whole idea worth it. I could call Contour to get more info on all of this but if it is all moot due to other factors I don't want to waste their time or mine with the call and queries.

Thanks for any thoughts from anyone who has travelled this sort of trip recently.
Very interesting! I have not done this (have only flown a directly booked, standalone LF flight), but it is an intriguing setup. I assume you are connecting in CLT from an AA flight, since I don't think AA sells the LF flights alone. Unfortunately, this is an interline agreement only (no codeshares, no mileage earning). Your checked bag allowance should be fine, especially because LF offers one free checked bag to all passengers. BKW is clearly a same-plane stop (hence the 15 minute "connection") -- you'll probably be told to just stay on the plane if you're continuing. I would expect that seat assignments can be made at ContourAirlines.com with your LF PNR. Here are a couple of reviews of flying LF.
Rossodio likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2024, 6:29 am

The airport website has a number for Hertz - I'd call and ask for the most definitive answer on that part: Hertz Car Rental | 304.428.4040

The plane will be similar to an EMB-145 (1-2 layout but domestic coach-sized seats), but with additional legroom (another 5-6" or so) as the 135s should have 37 seats but due to public charter restrictions it is limited to 30.
Rossodio likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 5:29 pm

Programs: Marriott LTP, Wyndham Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, Delta Plat, Hertz PC
So AA interlines with Contour, who flies as a public charter operator, but they are trying to shut down JSX, who flies as a public charter operator, because they claim there is a safety issue with JSX?
lowfareair likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 9:50 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro
Originally Posted by zdcatc12
So AA interlines with Contour, who flies as a public charter operator, but they are trying to shut down JSX, who flies as a public charter operator, because they claim there is a safety issue with JSX?
Lol, as I was reading this I had that same thought.
zdcatc12 and bchandler02 like this.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 1:19 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ExecPl, AT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, National
As others have said, no mileage earning on the Contour flight, and the seats are normal ERJ coach seats, but with extra legroom. There is no alcohol served onboard - not sure whether you can have them serve you your own minis. Whenever I check in at DCA for DCA-CLT-PAH, the system tries to charge a bag fee (even though I'm EXP), but the AA ticket agent always waives it. On the way home, Contour doesn't charge a first bag fee, so they check my bag through with no charge.

You can use your LF confirmation number to choose seats on Contour's website.
Rossodio likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.