AA Making WiFi Free on Domestic Flights

Old Mar 20, 2024, 12:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, AmEx Membership Rewards
AA Making WiFi Free on Domestic Flights

Just saw this on View From The Wing. A welcome and long overdue change.
SamirD and Hoi polloi like this.
Old Mar 20, 2024, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Time will tell whether it's free for the whole flight or just 20 minutes like periodically popping up.

I don't have a problem with paying for wifi. I do have a problem with AA charging 30 bucks for a flight. UA and WN have far more reasonable pricing.
dw, USFlyerUS, GVR Bill and 7 others like this.
Old Mar 20, 2024, 12:26 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Why not just offer free text/imessage service like AS and WN do? I rarely need internet access while in the air, but being able to message is important.
bchandler02, SamirD and Hoi polloi like this.
Old Mar 20, 2024, 12:43 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
I don't see this as a positive change, unless the bandwidth is sufficient to handle increased load. I'm also ok paying for Wi-Fi if it means I'll get a better quality service.
Old Mar 20, 2024, 12:54 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
I think Gary jumped to the free conclusion too quickly. If you read the press release, it doesnt actually say that sponsored wi-fi will be free for the duration of the flight. Rather, the news on that front is that it is going to be rolled out more broadly. I would expect it to same the same as it is now- 20-30 min sessions for free.

The fact that AA is going to offer the opportunity to pay for wi-fi with miles also implies that the sponsored wi-fi will be time limited, like it is currently.
Old Mar 20, 2024, 12:57 pm
dw

Originally Posted by Antarius
I don't have a problem with paying for wifi. I do have a problem with AA charging 30 bucks for a flight. UA and WN have far more reasonable pricing.
And AS. $29 for a transcon is ridiculous. If they charged $10 on Viasat equipped planes, there would probably be enough people who didnt partake (because its not free) for the bandwidth to keep up.
SamirD likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2024, 1:15 pm
formerly wchinchen

Programs: AA CK, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Antarius

When you see QR charging 10 USD for an entire 16-17 hour SFO-DOH flight that is much better and faster, AA's price of 38-39 USD Wifi for DFW-HNL that is spotty and slow is ridiculous.

AA doesn't even have real WIFI (other than their entertainment modules) on their narrow bodies to Hawaii. So behind the times.
SamirD likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2024, 1:16 pm

Programs: PriorityPass, AA EXP, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Gold
It'd be nice to have (longer) free Wifi benefits with higher levels of AA elite status that one may get...
One can still dream
SamirD likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2024, 1:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP / HH Diamond
A bigger item to me in the AA release (https://news.aa.com/news/news-detail...3/default.aspx) is high-speed coming to the regional fleet.
SamirD and funnyfarm299 like this.
Old Mar 20, 2024, 1:37 pm
dw

Originally Posted by Flyer78
A bigger item to me in the AA release (https://news.aa.com/news/news-detail...3/default.aspx) is high-speed coming to the regional fleet.
Well, that will be important to AA, considering how much they are going to be relying on their regional fleet for their new network strategy. They cant fly just 738s and A321neos out of their new El Paso focus city ;-)
CMTinPHL, SamirD and hhdl like this.
Old Mar 20, 2024, 1:55 pm

This is huge, because charging $28 for a domestic has been something that has really turned me off from booking work travel on them. It's not reimbursable.
SamirD likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2024, 2:13 pm
dw

TPG reports:

"That said, American is rolling out a limited free Wi-Fi offering for all Viasat-equipped flights. This timed service will be available for 20 minutes in exchange for watching a 15- or 30-second ad... This free, ad-supported Wi-Fi option was first rolled out in 2022, but it's historically been only available on select flights. It'll now be active across 100% of American's Viasat domestic narrow-body fleet. Just note that you can only get one free Wi-Fi package per device per flight."

https://thepointsguy.com/news/americ...s-wifi-update/

So basically AA is not making any concerted efforts currently to roll out truly free wi-fi a la Delta.
Old Mar 20, 2024, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Speaking of free wifi, last night on my jfk-clt flight I was looking forward to firing up my MS Surface (I never bring this with me) and utilizing my TMobile free wifi feature I enjoy on my Iphone every flight I take. Well, it's not available when you log on with a browser unfortunately but a free 20 minute option is available if you watch a commercial first.
SamirD likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2024, 3:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP
The per flight / segment pricing is nonsensical for frequent flyers, but AA has mentioned that they have a majority customer base that are occasional leisure travelers and it seems like they are squeezing them for cash with the segment pricing. They aren't going to subscribe to a monthly plan.

For me, it is a no brainer to pay the monthly fee - I fly mainly transcon and often during the work day. But, my expectation is that the WiFi is usable given the cost. I prefer this to the free internet that often doesn't work well enough for anything but text messages on many carriers.
USFlyerUS, CMTinPHL and SamirD like this.
Old Mar 20, 2024, 3:39 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat - some level of status in IHG, Marriot & HIlton
Originally Posted by dw
TPG reports:

"That said, American is rolling out a limited free Wi-Fi offering for all Viasat-equipped flights. This timed service will be available for 20 minutes in exchange for watching a 15- or 30-second ad... This free, ad-supported Wi-Fi option was first rolled out in 2022, but it's historically been only available on select flights. It'll now be active across 100% of American's Viasat domestic narrow-body fleet. Just note that you can only get one free Wi-Fi package per device per flight."

https://thepointsguy.com/news/americ...s-wifi-update/

So basically AA is not making any concerted efforts currently to roll out truly free wi-fi a la Delta.
Most of my flights are under 2 hours and 20 minutes is usually all that I need to catch up on what is going on in the world and read email so I don't have to worry about any of that when I land. I can either go straight to AC or my destination. In the rare instances where 20 minutes isn't enough (following a live sporting event or longer flight), I always have 4 devices on me that can connect.
SamirD likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.