Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

When will loyalty points start earning for upgrades?

When will loyalty points start earning for upgrades?

Old Mar 13, 2024, 1:23 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Programs: Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold, Mariott Gold, AMEX Plat, US CP
Posts: 274
When will loyalty points start earning for upgrades?

When AA rolled out the 2024 elite email it states earning loyalty points on cash upgrades (web / app) was coming soon. Do any of our AA insiders on this forum have an update as to when "coming soon" is?

Thanks

Will
william142 is offline  
Old Mar 13, 2024, 2:15 pm
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: RDU <|> MMX
Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Posts: 12,856
Nothing has been said other than what was in the original communications. Sometime in 2024.
JJeffrey is online now  
Old Mar 13, 2024, 10:30 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Midwest
Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond, BonVoy Platinum, BW Diamond, RR Premium
Posts: 465
Isn't that the best question? I think so. Like what is the deal with AA that makes them announce important changes like this but not announce when they will start? I am generally an AA defender when others make it the Cinderella (before the ball) of the airline industry, but this is the sort of ridiculous stuff that is hard to defend. Like just don't announce it if you don't know. This should have been live March 1. That would have been logical, but alas!
mxracer95 likes this.
travelingdrsuz is offline  
Old Mar 13, 2024, 10:44 pm
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: East Coast
Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Posts: 11,970
Originally Posted by travelingdrsuz
Isn't that the best question? I think so. Like what is the deal with AA that makes them announce important changes like this but not announce when they will start? I am generally an AA defender when others make it the Cinderella (before the ball) of the airline industry, but this is the sort of ridiculous stuff that is hard to defend. Like just don't announce it if you don't know. This should have been live March 1. That would have been logical, but alas!
Interesting. Cinderella is known for being beautiful and intelligent (I mean, she landed the prince at the end, that's a good strategy haha); AA is neither.
fly747first is offline  
Old Mar 13, 2024, 10:55 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Programs: AA, UA, Marriott
Posts: 1,312
Originally Posted by travelingdrsuz
ILike what is the deal with AA that makes them announce important changes like this but not announce when they will start?
Just like the AC improvements, right??

In seriousness - whenever AA comes around with updating their IT. I got the impression loyalty points were a hack on existing EQDs and EQM counters. And in-app buy-ups would earn neither.
lrdpenn is offline  
Old Mar 14, 2024, 12:00 am
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Programs: Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold, Mariott Gold, AMEX Plat, US CP
Posts: 274
I reread again today and it implies it starts(ed) March 1st, but I find that hard to believe. Hopefully it does I do a good amount of those app upgrades...
william142 is offline  
Old Mar 14, 2024, 7:26 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Feb 2022
Programs: AAdvantage
Posts: 1,008
Also, it's been pointed out that in the original communication it said miles, not specifically LPs. No one knows because AA hasn't clarified or updated. But you might end up getting RDMs for the cash upgrades but not LPs. Very poorly communicated and rolled out.
scoonee and TastyPlaneEats like this.
EXP100 is offline  
Old Mar 14, 2024, 7:40 am
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: East Coast
Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Posts: 11,970
Originally Posted by EXP100
Very poorly communicated and rolled out.
Yes, AA's product marketing team sure knows what they are doing... NOT lol
fly747first is offline  
Old Mar 14, 2024, 8:17 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Posts: 3,371
Originally Posted by EXP100
Also, it's been pointed out that in the original communication it said miles, not specifically LPs. No one knows because AA hasn't clarified or updated. But you might end up getting RDMs for the cash upgrades but not LPs. Very poorly communicated and rolled out.
But, other comms say anything that earns miles earns LPs, except for bonuses. I agree this was poorly communicated.
USFlyerUS is online now  
Old Mar 15, 2024, 12:44 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Midwest
Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond, BonVoy Platinum, BW Diamond, RR Premium
Posts: 465
Originally Posted by fly747first
Interesting. Cinderella is known for being beautiful and intelligent (I mean, she landed the prince at the end, that's a good strategy haha); AA is neither.
Indeed, you make excellent points. (But sorry, no Loyalty Points can be accrued on this post.)
travelingdrsuz is offline  
Old Mar 17, 2024, 1:51 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: SoCal to the rest of the world...
Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
Posts: 6,701
Had paid upgrades for two flights POST March 1st - nothing posted other than the standard LPs and standard miles.. So this is still work in progress. Would be nice if they activate and then do a retro calculation since March 1st. This being AA not sure they would even consider that, sadly.
NickP 1K is offline  
Old Mar 18, 2024, 6:38 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 115
I was really hopeful this would start with the new program year but definitely no luck yet. I buy these frequently so it will be a nice boost when it happens.
Dgosche is offline  
Old Mar 18, 2024, 7:19 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: CLT - daily decks
Programs: AA EXP
Posts: 193
Sorry to jump in sort of topic-adjacent - is there any info available as to whether miles&copay spend will be eligible?
EDnearJQF is offline  
Old Mar 18, 2024, 7:51 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 1,728
As has been stated many times, we only know what was stated in the initial communication

Originally Posted by EDnearJQF
Sorry to jump in sort of topic-adjacent - is there any info available as to whether miles&copay spend will be eligible?
777lover is offline  
Old Mar 18, 2024, 10:36 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Houston , TX
Programs: Platinum Pro. .Hilton Honors Gold,
Posts: 698
Originally Posted by NickP 1K
Had paid upgrades for two flights POST March 1st - nothing posted other than the standard LPs and standard miles.. So this is still work in progress. Would be nice if they activate and then do a retro calculation since March 1st. This being AA not sure they would even consider that, sadly.
How about retroactive to 2023? The expectations are that AA is going to give us LPs ; not our problem they are being vague in what is coming. I should be EXP.
D3Kingg is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.