Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Will AA give me trouble about a $1300 hotel refund request?

Will AA give me trouble about a $1300 hotel refund request?

Old Mar 14, 2024, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by bchandler02
So if they claim nothing is available, they're off the hook and that's that?
Technically... yep.

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
How does one get written authorization from AA at an airport like ELH? Does customer service issue it via email if you phone them with a price quote? And what if they say no?
No idea. Never had to use it, AA has always found me a hotel. And if they didn't, I have travel insurance.
Old Mar 14, 2024, 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
How does one get written authorization from AA at an airport like ELH? Does customer service issue it via email if you phone them with a price quote? And what if they say no?
Its a contract provision AA intentionally makes it impossible for a pax to comply with under these sorts of circumstances.
Old Mar 14, 2024, 9:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by fly747first
You obviously have never worked for a hotel nor do you understand how airline contracts work.
This observation based on your extensive knowledge of my background, I presume. 🙄

I'm an attorney who has represented numerous AA employees and I have copies of a number of successive APFA contracts on my bookshelf, among other AA legal documentation.

The arrangement I was talking about (which I could have said more clearly) was one in which AA contracts with the hotel for, and pays for, a certain number of rooms every night whether they are used or not. Obviously these arrangements are limited to locations where the regular schedule calls for crew overnights most or all nights.
Kacee likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2024, 3:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
This observation based on your extensive knowledge of my background, I presume. 🙄

I'm an attorney who has represented numerous AA employees and I have copies of a number of successive APFA contracts on my bookshelf, among other AA legal documentation.

The arrangement I was talking about (which I could have said more clearly) was one in which AA contracts with the hotel for, and pays for, a certain number of rooms every night whether they are used or not. Obviously these arrangements are limited to locations where the regular schedule calls for crew overnights most or all nights.
But again, the hotel does not have to provide a higher number of discounted rooms than what was negotiated at the daily level. Having a contract doesn't mean that the hotel will give you the last room at the discounted contracted rate once you exceed your block unless that contract explicitly contains a clear LRA provision. AA has upset a lot of hotels and trust me, they don't have the leverage power of nicer airlines like EK or QR.

Last edited by fly747first; Mar 15, 2024 at 3:12 am
Old Mar 15, 2024, 5:49 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH

I guess that's where some people were going - in an airport like EHL which is an outstation and the scheduling is such that the expectation is that all flight and cabin crews fly an outbound segment and immediately turn around, does AA maintain a standing contract with a particular hotel at a given rate?

I'll guess a second question would have to be: is the contract different because its not AA per see that is the contracting party, but instead may be Republic Airways or PSA Airlines (since AA itself does not fly the route).
Old Mar 15, 2024, 6:06 am

Originally Posted by Antarius
Always have credit card trip delay insurance for this. I just skip the rubbish AA offer and get whatever I want.
I'm not aware of any credit card trip delay insurance that pays more than $500.
moondog and hurnik like this.
Old Mar 15, 2024, 9:43 am

Hi all. Out of curiousity, did a poster contact the website or does the website create a story out of flyertalk posts? (Or maybe these stories are unrelated.)

https://viewfromthewing.com/out-of-p...rew-times-out/
Old Mar 15, 2024, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by carla568
Hi all. Out of curiousity, did a poster contact the website or does the website create a story out of flyertalk posts? (Or maybe these stories are unrelated.)

https://viewfromthewing.com/out-of-p...rew-times-out/
Gary (who runs the VFTW blog) is a member on here, and I'm glad he picked up the story as it can't hurt to add some publicity around the situation to better the chances of the OP getting a satisfactory reimbursement.
vasantn, carla568, hurnik and 2 others like this.
Old Mar 15, 2024, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by fly747first
But again, the hotel does not have to provide a higher number of discounted rooms than what was negotiated at the daily level.
Agreed.
Old Mar 16, 2024, 8:30 pm
Original Poster

OP here.
I did not contact his website.
carla568 and Antarius like this.
Old Mar 16, 2024, 8:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by carla568
The latter.

Flyertalk as a source + Credit card shilling = These blogs
Old Apr 2, 2024, 10:21 pm
Original Poster

They replied and ignored everything mentioned in the email.
Their offer was to give 5,000 miles to the frequent flyer account.
Obviously that is not satisfactory so now replying to that email.
Spiff, moondog, CMTinPHL and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 3, 2024, 12:05 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by chuck1
They replied and ignored everything mentioned in the email.
Their offer was to give 5,000 miles to the frequent flyer account.
Obviously that is not satisfactory so now replying to that email.
That was the AI bot…. Hopefully your reply will be read by a human. Good luck.
Old Apr 3, 2024, 11:58 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by CMTinPHL
That was the AI bot…. Hopefully your reply will be read by a human. Good luck.
I agree that the response is "Artificial", but definitely nothing close to what qualifies as "intelligent".
moondog, CMTinPHL, lrdpenn and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 3, 2024, 12:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by PHL
I agree that the response is "Artificial", but definitely nothing close to what qualifies as "intelligent".
So what does that make the AA bot, “AD”? Artificially dense? Dumb?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.