Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Will AA give me trouble about a $1300 hotel refund request?

Will AA give me trouble about a $1300 hotel refund request?

Old Mar 12, 2024, 11:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by enviroian
$1300 hotel room!? Wow I've never even heard of a hotel room that expensive. Were there no other lower priced options? Did you have travel insurance? I feel for you because AA is going to tell you to pound sand and reimburse you on some established "market rate". Good luck.
If the hotel was an acceptable abode to shack up the crew, obviously they'll approve the same place for paying customers.
Old Mar 12, 2024, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
$1300 hotel room!? Wow I've never even heard of a hotel room that expensive. Were there no other lower priced options? Did you have travel insurance? I feel for you because AA is going to tell you to pound sand and reimburse you on some established "market rate". Good luck.
It's ELH, we're talking about the outer islands in the Bahamas where 99% of the nightly hotel options are uber expensive resorts. It's not like there's an airport Hampton Inn the OP could've stayed at

Definitely interested to see how AA handles this.
Spiff, hurnik, TWA884 and 2 others like this.
Old Mar 12, 2024, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by moondog
If the hotel was an acceptable abode to shack up the crew, obviously they'll approve the same place for paying customers.
Never assume anything with AA these days.
Old Mar 12, 2024, 11:21 am

Never assume anything with AA these days.
The "that's too expensive" argument becomes toothless the moment they buy it for their own staff.
oopsz and TWA884 like this.
Old Mar 12, 2024, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The "that's too expensive" argument becomes toothless the moment they buy it for their own staff.
we dont know what rate the crew paid. Regardless of it being last minute Im sure they werent paying $1300 for a room. Id be shocked if AA pays. Hope they do OP and keep us posted!
Old Mar 12, 2024, 12:04 pm

we dont know what rate the crew paid. Regardless of it being last minute Im sure they werent paying $1300 for a room. Id be shocked if AA pays. Hope they do OP and keep us posted!
What they paid for the crew to stay there is irrelevant since they didn't offer to make the OP's booking. He merely needs to demonstrate that $1300 was the lowest rate available to him.
ksucats and TWA884 like this.

Last edited by moondog; Mar 12, 2024 at 12:10 pm
Old Mar 12, 2024, 12:32 pm

Programs: AA, WN
What they paid for the crew to stay there is irrelevant since they didn't offer to make the OP's booking. He merely needs to demonstrate that $1300 was the lowest rate available to him.
Even if OP demonstrates that this is the lowest price option available, is AA obligated to pay that price? Or as someone posted, there was no written authorization so AA is not paying? How on earth can anyone get an authorization in these chaotic situations?
BWISkyGuy likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2024, 12:38 pm

Well, they are seemingly obligated to put him somewhere, he tried to let them, and only took matters into his own hands after they failed to come through. Like others, I'm guessing they'll push back, but I predict he'll prevail if he stays the course. If it were me, I'd have no problem dropping $50 on an SCC filing, if push came to shove.
notquiteaff and bchandler02 like this.
Old Mar 12, 2024, 4:33 pm
Original Poster

We will be submitting expenses and I'll let everyone knows how it goes.
The crew took the same ferry and was eating dinner in the restaurant.

ELH airport staff said this has never happened before.
In high season they have 2X to MIA and 1X to CLT.
DL has a flight to ATL.
I'm assuming AA does not do layovers in ELH and all trips are flown as turns.
moondog, chrisny2, TWA884 and 2 others like this.
Old Mar 12, 2024, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
For what it's worth, if I were in such a situation, I'd take a print out of hotel booking pages showing that this was the lowest priced room available. All airlines will have notional limits of what is reasonable and the default amount will be vastly lower than this. It doesn't mean that their limit will always be reasonable, but I think that the prudent thing to do if you know the figure is likely to raise eyebrows is to "build a case" to make it harder for them to refuse the refund and IMHO, this starts by collecting evidence that this was the cheapest room available rather than just say that it was.
enviroian, wrp96 and Antarius like this.
Old Mar 12, 2024, 6:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT., Marriott LT GLD
Originally Posted by javabytes
You're likely in for a battle over the amount. The CoC is also not your friend here.

[/color]

https://www.aa.com/i18n/customer-ser...f-carriage.jsp

If they do offer reimbursement, it may be at their typical rate in that city.
This was my experience this week. Offered a Super 8 at the AC in DFW after 2 WX and a mechanical. Hard pass. Stayed at the Grand Hyatt and submitted a reimbursement request for $400+. Received a check for $122.68. They claim that is their local contract rate.
Old Mar 12, 2024, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by planecrashlaw
This was my experience this week. Offered a Super 8 at the AC in DFW after 2 WX and a mechanical. Hard pass. Stayed at the Grand Hyatt and submitted a reimbursement request for $400+. Received a check for $122.68. They claim that is their local contract rate.
If they were offering a super 8 I would know right away where the rate ceiling range is by their choice. I would have never picked a $400 a night room. Just saying.
moondog, TWA884, FAA1996 and 2 others like this.
Old Mar 12, 2024, 7:10 pm

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott
If they were offering a super 8 I would know right away where the rate ceiling range is by their choice. I would have never picked a $400 a night room. Just saying.
Yeah. It's also not a bad outcome to be reimbursed at least the same cost and pick your own hotel.
chrisny2, wrp96 and ZenFlyer like this.
Old Mar 12, 2024, 8:38 pm

Life is never great at Super 8!
hhdl likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2024, 10:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Always have credit card trip delay insurance for this. I just skip the rubbish AA offer and get whatever I want.

It's the Project Oasis of hotels.
hhdl likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.