Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Confirmed: AA to order new aircraft (85 B737 MAX 10, 85 A321NEO, 90 E175)

Confirmed: AA to order new aircraft (85 B737 MAX 10, 85 A321NEO, 90 E175)

Old Mar 6, 2024, 6:53 am

Programs: AA, Hertz, Hyatt, Hilton
Originally Posted by KDCAflyer
Maybe AA can finally install ovens on the E175s/get proper RJ catering. The meals in RJ first class are a joke and if AA is going all in on RJ flying that's something that needs to be fixed.
Agreed. If you're putting this much capital into your RJ platform, then you might as well do it right.
Old Mar 6, 2024, 9:31 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by KDCAflyer
Maybe AA can finally install ovens on the E175s/get proper RJ catering. The meals in RJ first class are a joke and if AA is going all in on RJ flying that's something that needs to be fixed.
Don't hold your breath on that one. They could have reverted back to the pre-covid plating of the cold meals, but instead, four years later, it's still box meals.
Also, I wouldn't say they're going all in on RJ flying. Due to scope clause that won't be possible.
Old Mar 6, 2024, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Hoi polloi
Agreed. If you're putting this much capital into your RJ platform, then you might as well do it right.
That's not the AA way.

Penny wise, pound foolish is the modus operandi - example, cheap out with Oasis then spend money redoing it with Kodiak.
Old Mar 6, 2024, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Make sure to drop a note to AA with your concerns about the RJ meals. It's easy to complain here, but if you want real change, write to AA and express your dissatisfaction.
AAway and GNRMatt like this.
Old Mar 6, 2024, 11:58 am

Programs: AA PP, UA 1K/MM, WoH Globalist, HH Gold
Originally Posted by AAway
Also, I wouldn't say they're going all in on RJ flying. Due to scope clause that won't be possible.
It seems AA strategy is that they want to go after the smaller markets. And so there wouldnt be a scope issue, since smaller planes would give frequency and accommodate the lower passenger volumes.

Brian has an excellent overview after listening to Vasu Raja at Americans Investor Day:

https://www.theairlineobserver.com/p...ium-airline-by
hhdl likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2024, 5:20 pm

Although I'd absolutely love to see AA diversify their WB fleet with the A350 (by far my favorite aircraft to fly), it makes little sense given AA's focus on connecting to partner hubs rather than building a wide intercontinental network. Just doesn't make sense for their crew given their all-Boeing WB fleet. The 787-10 would be a nice addition to their trans-Pacific fleet, and in addition to premium-heavy routes, I could see them using their new 789s for some hot and high stations in the future, such as JNB.

What kills me though is that they still continue to stick with the 737. It's a great aircraft...for 1970. The wider cabin in the 321 makes for a meaningfully better passenger experience. I cannot tolerate the window seat in the 737 for more than an hour due to the complete lack of shoulder and foot space - and I'm not a big guy at 6 ft. 180 lbs. I frequently fly from Reno to the Northeast and usually take a positioning flight on another carrier to SFO or LAX to get on the 321T instead of the shorter route on the 737 through DFW. Plus, confidence that the plane will remain airborne really does provide surprising peace of mind.
Old Mar 6, 2024, 8:07 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, UA LT Ag, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob, Avis PC, Busted-Knuckles Club Grand Poobah.
Originally Posted by gophish11
What kills me though is that they still continue to stick with the 737. It's a great aircraft...for 1970.
Yep. Had to fly to Halifax from ATL and the only option was AC. The YYZ/YHZ leg was originally an A320 but was subbed with a MAX8 the day before. I had a window bulkhead seat and was seriously cramped and I'm only 5'7". Takeoff roll was just as long and slow as an old -300.

Could not wait to get off that ScreamLiner...
Old Mar 6, 2024, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
What kills me though is that they still continue to stick with the 737. It's a great aircraft...for 1970. The wider cabin in the 321 makes for a meaningfully better passenger experience. I cannot tolerate the window seat in the 737 for more than an hour due to the complete lack of shoulder and foot space - and I'm not a big guy at 6 ft. 180 lbs. I frequently fly from Reno to the Northeast and usually take a positioning flight on another carrier to SFO or LAX to get on the 321T instead of the shorter route on the 737 through DFW. Plus, confidence that the plane will remain airborne really does provide surprising peace of mind.
half of the narrowbody fleet globally is 737s. Most people couldn't care less.

Also, the a321T is obviously nicer than any 737 AA has (or the other a320 series) - that has nothing to do with the aircraft and everything to do with the config AA chose.

Last edited by Antarius; Mar 6, 2024 at 10:37 pm
Old Mar 7, 2024, 8:39 am

Originally Posted by born sleepy
Yep. Had to fly to Halifax from ATL and the only option was AC. The YYZ/YHZ leg was originally an A320 but was subbed with a MAX8 the day before. I had a window bulkhead seat and was seriously cramped and I'm only 5'7". Takeoff roll was just as long and slow as an old -300.

Could not wait to get off that ScreamLiner...
The takeoff roll should be about the same as 90% or more of takeoffs are reduced power. You only use enough power to meet balanced field requirements.
Old Mar 7, 2024, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by Antarius
half of the narrowbody fleet globally is 737s. Most people couldn't care less.

Also, the a321T is obviously nicer than any 737 AA has (or the other a320 series) - that has nothing to do with the aircraft and everything to do with the config AA chose.
Yes, of course overall comfort will depend on the layout and the T is an outlier. Still, the A321 is superior to the 737 in that its cabin is marginally wider allowing for a more humane seat width.

Ill take AAs most dense config in the Airbus any day over the 737.
hhdl likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2024, 10:10 am

Programs: AA
Yes, of course overall comfort will depend on the layout and the T is an outlier. Still, the A321 is superior to the 737 in that its cabin is marginally wider allowing for a more humane seat width.

Ill take AAs most dense config in the Airbus any day over the 737.
I agree with you. I realize I'm an outlier but I actively book away from the 737 if possible. Luckily, that's not too hard from PHL, which is mostly Airbus.
born sleepy likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2024, 3:59 am

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Does anybody know what the configuration of the max 10 is likely to look like?
Old Mar 10, 2024, 4:38 am
S80

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, 1MM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by donotblink
Does anybody know what the configuration of the max 10 is likely to look like?
I think it's supposed to be 20F (which would align with the 321), but that's just a hunch. I don't believe anything else has been confirmed about it.
Old Mar 10, 2024, 8:03 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by bridge29
I agree with you. I realize I'm an outlier but I actively book away from the 737 if possible. Luckily, that's not too hard from PHL, which is mostly Airbus.
Considering AAs Oasis/Kodiak 737 is arguably the densest plane flown by any of the US4, and with limited MCE seating, youre not alone.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.