Why do people dislike CLT so much?

Old Mar 3, 2024, 2:39 pm

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott
Originally Posted by coke cans and winglets
Also just a side note, this is a walking oriented airport, so why is it that every time I go through there I come across multiple moving walkways that are shut off?
They are useless. I wouldn't be surprised if they are slower than average CLT walking speed and they are too narrow to pass on the left, and actually removing capacity of the walkways. Of course having a walkway that is off and blocked is the worse of both worlds. They make the PHX moving walkways seem functional and efficient in comparison
Old Mar 3, 2024, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
I knows CLT airport very well. Its very easy and very convenient to get to the gates. Never had any problems with it.
Old Mar 3, 2024, 4:33 pm

Programs: AA-EXP
Originally Posted by N830MH
I knows CLT airport very well. Its very easy and very convenient to get to the gates. Never had any problems with it.
Spoken as what I assume is a well-bodied and very patient person. My personal experience is a bit more frustrating, but I am not diminishing your individual experience.
Old Mar 3, 2024, 4:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by lrdpenn
They are useless. I wouldn't be surprised if they are slower than average CLT walking speed and they are too narrow to pass on the left, and actually removing capacity of the walkways. Of course having a walkway that is off and blocked is the worse of both worlds. They make the PHX moving walkways seem functional and efficient in comparison
Haven't been through CLT in years, but I do remember the crowded terminals. I can at least pass by people on the moving walkways at PHX.
Old Mar 3, 2024, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
My first business trip as a novice graduate researcher was ORD-CLT-HTS and back on Piedmont, in the spring of 1988. The B and C concourses really haven't changed that much in 35 years. We had to sit at the gate in the high Cs on the trip home to wait for a junior high class delayed from DCA at 10pm and it was just as miserable then as it would be today.

Add in silly short connection times, especially E->B or C, and not great concessions (although in the morning if you connect near Bojangles you are ok), and it's a mess. Fortunately for me, RDU-CLT has a lot of frequencies and I can often go for a longer connection, but all in all if my choices are CLT on AA and DTW on DL and price is the same, I will take DTW every time.
Old Mar 3, 2024, 8:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP. HH DIAMOND.

because of the walking path or lack thereof... there shouldnt be "traffic" in the terminal.
wrp96, Uzzar and prathetkrungthep like this.
Old Mar 4, 2024, 8:33 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by ElmhurstNick
My first business trip as a novice graduate researcher was ORD-CLT-HTS and back on Piedmont, in the spring of 1988. The B and C concourses really haven't changed that much in 35 years. We had to sit at the gate in the high Cs on the trip home to wait for a junior high class delayed from DCA at 10pm and it was just as miserable then as it would be today.
I've also been connecting in CLT since the late Piedmont years, and I will say one of the biggest differences in B/C to me is just the impact on the size of the planes, even if gate utilization is similar. It's just SO much more crowded than those gates were with mostly 732/3/4's, F28's, a few 727's and the occasional 767. The atrium connecting B & C and the C club moving off the concourse were huge improvements since though.

I'll say one thing though, as much as I hate the panic-inducing crowding, for all the comments in the thread about the amount of walking, the smaller scale of the terminal does save a lot of walking relative to the number of gates. I love the new(ish) SLC terminal, but the scale is so big, the gates are so large and so well spaced, that all the extra walking makes you appreciate the cost of spaciousness.
Old Mar 4, 2024, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Ill tell you why. I just walked up to Jersey mikes and counted 34 people stretched all the way down. I am now waiting in a smaller (12) line at potbelly. This place sucks.
Old Mar 4, 2024, 5:50 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Theres a lot of things I dont like about CLT (the narrow and crowded concourses for sure), but the one thing I cant STAND every time I fly through there is the constant traffic jam on the ramp. I promise Im not kidding when I say the taxi times are no less than 20 minutes, both arriving and departing. Its just constant stop-and-go all the way to the gate/runway. Maybe its just me, but thats always been my experience.

Yeah, at DFW you may land out in Shreveport and have to taxi to the gate, but at least youre always moving.
KBMIFlyer, Gerbs, stant and 3 others like this.
Old Mar 4, 2024, 5:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by arc727
Theres a lot of things I dont like about CLT (the narrow and crowded concourses for sure), but the one thing I cant STAND every time I fly through there is the constant traffic jam on the ramp. I promise Im not kidding when I say the taxi times are no less than 20 minutes, both arriving and departing. Its just constant stop-and-go all the way to the gate/runway. Maybe its just me, but thats always been my experience.

Yeah, at DFW you may land out in Shreveport and have to taxi to the gate, but at least youre always moving.
Especially when you are on a RJ and need to get to the E gates on the far side.
KBMIFlyer, wrp96, arc727 and 2 others like this.
Old Mar 5, 2024, 6:58 am

Programs: US CP, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by arc727
There’s a lot of things I don’t like about CLT (the narrow and crowded concourses for sure), but the one thing I can’t STAND every time I fly through there is the constant traffic jam on the ramp. I promise I’m not kidding when I say the taxi times are no less than 20 minutes, both arriving and departing. It’s just constant stop-and-go all the way to the gate/runway. Maybe it’s just me, but that’s always been my experience.

Yeah, at DFW you may land out in Shreveport and have to taxi to the gate, but at least you’re always moving.
I hate this too. Every time we land on 18R/36L you can count on a 30+ minute taxi/wait/stop/taxi/stop/wait/taxi and then inevitably you can't enter the ramp area because there are planes waiting for other planes that haven't left the gate.
I live in CLT and sometimes it takes me an hour from touchdown to being in the car exiting the parking garage. It sucks.
arc727 likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2024, 9:11 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
Interesting how little has changed since 2010. Food for thought. This ties in with the conversation about CLT, which is a pmUS hub, and AA's current identity issue—based on this linked post, looks like not much had really changed.
Old Mar 11, 2024, 3:23 pm

Landed 50 minutes ago and still mo gate. Rows of 2 planes behind each other waiting for Gates. Everytime it's like they're first time running an airport.

And we still havent had the pleasure of entering the s**t show that is the terminal. Can only pray an asteroid takes CLT out.
ConstellationClass likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2024, 5:27 pm

Barely survived the terminal now on our late connecting flight. F flight attendant addresses first class cabin: "I have a headache, will try to do beverage service, but I suggest you all go to sleep." ...?
Old Mar 11, 2024, 7:42 pm

Programs: AA GLD, AC
Originally Posted by FAA1996
Barely survived the terminal now on our late connecting flight. F flight attendant addresses first class cabin: "I have a headache, will try to do beverage service, but I suggest you all go to sleep." ...?
Interesting. Last night, on a rather delayed CLT-LGA flight (mechanical), the crew didn't do beverage service in coach at all, citing turbulence. The interesting thing about that: there was ZERO turbulence - absolutely none. The flight was perfectly smooth from start to finish. Not a good look at all.

As to the airport itself - WAY too crowded. Nowhere at all to sit. On the plus side, Bojangles has good biscuits.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.