Why do people dislike CLT so much?

Old Feb 27, 2024, 8:58 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Admirals Club member
Originally Posted by CMTinPHL
I agree the food options are better in PHL than in CLT (though my son likes the Bojangles in CLT), but Iím rarely connecting in PHL. Coffee is definitely better in PHL.
I can't believe anyone would complain about the food in CLT, and the example they offer is a janky, non-descript fast food joint. CLT is fine, may be even above average for food. If you can't find good food there, you're committed to your narrative without doing any real research. There's perfectly adequate pizza, BBQ, sushi, non-chain burgers, Mexican, and plenty of everything else. Sorry they don't a cheesesteak every 50 feet...
aztimm and BWISkyGuy like this.
Old Feb 27, 2024, 9:20 am

Programs: AA, DL, WN, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott, Hyatt
This thread has been an interesting ready, as it's been a few years since I transited through CLT.

Looking at some award options to MUC on either AA or United for summer 2025.

Given award options that cost roughly the same number of miles (or cash price $), similar total travel time, layover time, etc...."Would you rather" transit through CLT on AA or ORD on United?

Originating from MCI, so just one stop to MUC.
Old Feb 27, 2024, 11:00 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by joeyE
I can't believe anyone would complain about the food in CLT, and the example they offer is a janky, non-descript fast food joint. CLT is fine, may be even above average for food. If you can't find good food there, you're committed to your narrative without doing any real research. There's perfectly adequate pizza, BBQ, sushi, non-chain burgers, Mexican, and plenty of everything else. Sorry they don't a cheesesteak every 50 feet...
I stated my opinion. Research? Iíve eaten at many places in CLT. I think PHL is better. And Iím not a cheesesteak aficionado. I think Phillyís roast pork sandwiches are much better than a cheesesteak. And the example I offered wasnít what I like, merely commenting my son likes it.
Old Feb 27, 2024, 11:31 am

I cannot stand CLT. I live in a minor Eagle market. That means I fly in and out of E but my connections tend to be in A or B. It's a freaking long way.
Old Feb 27, 2024, 2:58 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by chicagoflyer1976
to me, CLT represents US Air, which was an absolute trash airline. No one who was a legacy AA flyer wanted anything to with LUS. So anytime I hear CLT mentioned I think of the garbage airline that LUS was, and pretty much infiltrated AA with. LUS employees are notorious for upgrade shenanigans as well. Admirals Clubs are abysmal. They funnel traffic to Europe and don't have a flagship lounge. What a joke. LUS never had nice things, and that's basically what CLT is. An absolute dump. So CLT deserves every ounce of criticism.
Haha, I don't know about that 100%. US definitely had its share of issues, but Spirit and Frontier are much worse than what US ever was. I flew US many times prior to the merger, and they were generally pretty friendly and helpful. Their fees were a bit annoying, but those fees were pretty much in line with all the other legacies.

And, to be completely fair, and as I mentioned upthread, pmUS had a hub in DCA, and the DCA hub was/is very nice. And yes, TBF, the other pmUS hubs do need work. However, TBF as well, some of pmAA's hubs need work/modernization too. I honestly think it's a wash, but will concur that pmAA, on average, had somewhat nicer hubs.

From what I heard, original pmpmUS (prior to America West taking over) was a premium airline, while HP was definitely a local hometown, simple airline with no frills. The merged HP/original US formed an US that was kind of met "in the middle". That is the US I flew (never flew pmHP or pmpmUS, was too young), and they were fine. Got me where I needed. They might have not been as premium or "exciting" as the other legacies, and certainly not as premium as pmAA was, but I also flew pmAA and they had their own share of issues, too. pmUS (2010-2013) had some improvements done with their premium products, but one thing I wish pmUS had was showers in their lounges, and a true "Envoy" lounge that was replicated from PHL's version to CLT and perhaps PHX, while adding showers and dining options. US definitely could have done better with the lounges they had on offer, and maybe their premium products; however, they were a fine airline for getting from point A to point B, and were generally dependable, IME. I had a pretty harrowing IRROPS experience on pmAA which involved multiple changes in a day, miscommunications, and rude employees. I never experienced that level of IRROPS on US, but this is also my personal experience and not something I can really speak for others. One thing that does kind of stand out, though, is that current AA kind of has the "dull" feeling that US had — nothing exciting or truly premium about AA nowadays, compared to old pmAA. pmAA had the old Eagle logo, and seemed more invested in being a premium airline that had a lot of frills for their customers. I don't know if that makes any sense, but there you go.

Now, for the topic of this thread — I'm not fond of CLT. Too narrow, too crowded, kind of dirty, and somewhat rude employees. I actually prefer PHL.
lrdpenn, BWISkyGuy and Uzzar like this.

Last edited by MrAndy1369; Feb 27, 2024 at 3:05 pm
Old Feb 27, 2024, 4:37 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, HHonors Diamond,
Originally Posted by vasantn
Yep. I still hate the new LGA. But resistance is futile.
LGA is one of my home airports. I don't like all the going up and then going down to get to baggage claim. It almost makes Terminal 8 at JFK look easy in comparison.

CLT? Meh. Though Admirals Club reminds me of a bus terminal.
Old Feb 28, 2024, 5:20 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by ppwchess
Though Admirals Club reminds me of a bus terminal.
I will say that the Admirals Club under construction in terminal C is a great place to people watch. Its like watching a live episode of hoarders, where people are convinced that their lives will end without a backlog of as many free prepackaged snacks they can fit in their carry-ons.

Just get a bowl of Italian Wedding soup, and be done with it. You will survive without the 10 bags of beef jerky.
Old Feb 28, 2024, 6:56 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by WannaTheater
I will say that the Admirals Club under construction in terminal C is a great place to people watch. Its like watching a live episode of hoarders, where people are convinced that their lives will end without a backlog of as many free prepackaged snacks they can fit in their carry-ons.

Just get a bowl of Italian Wedding soup, and be done with it. You will survive without the 10 bags of beef jerky.
That is a trait that is not exclusive to the CLT clubs - I've seen it where the high-class folk hang out: LAX, MIA, DFW D, etc.
BWISkyGuy likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2024, 12:24 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, Lifetime Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
Having been a heavy pmUS flyer who went through CLT a lot, thereís nothing wrong with the facility per se. What it does seem like is that AA is shoving way too many flights thru it with extremely tight connections.

The concourses are wall to wall people trying to jam through to make flights. The facility itself seems fine just too many people being pushed thru it.

CLT has always been busy but itís at a new level these days.

Originally Posted by MrAndy1369
Haha, I don't know about that 100%. US definitely had its share of issues, but Spirit and Frontier are much worse than what US ever was. I flew US many times prior to the merger, and they were generally pretty friendly and helpful. Their fees were a bit annoying, but those fees were pretty much in line with all the other legacies.

And, to be completely fair, and as I mentioned upthread, pmUS had a hub in DCA, and the DCA hub was/is very nice. And yes, TBF, the other pmUS hubs do need work. However, TBF as well, some of pmAA's hubs need work/modernization too. I honestly think it's a wash, but will concur that pmAA, on average, had somewhat nicer hubs.

From what I heard, original pmpmUS (prior to America West taking over) was a premium airline, while HP was definitely a local hometown, simple airline with no frills. The merged HP/original US formed an US that was kind of met "in the middle". That is the US I flew (never flew pmHP or pmpmUS, was too young), and they were fine. Got me where I needed. They might have not been as premium or "exciting" as the other legacies, and certainly not as premium as pmAA was, but I also flew pmAA and they had their own share of issues, too. pmUS (2010-2013) had some improvements done with their premium products, but one thing I wish pmUS had was showers in their lounges, and a true "Envoy" lounge that was replicated from PHL's version to CLT and perhaps PHX, while adding showers and dining options. US definitely could have done better with the lounges they had on offer, and maybe their premium products; however, they were a fine airline for getting from point A to point B, and were generally dependable, IME. I had a pretty harrowing IRROPS experience on pmAA which involved multiple changes in a day, miscommunications, and rude employees. I never experienced that level of IRROPS on US, but this is also my personal experience and not something I can really speak for others. One thing that does kind of stand out, though, is that current AA kind of has the "dull" feeling that US had ó nothing exciting or truly premium about AA nowadays, compared to old pmAA. pmAA had the old Eagle logo, and seemed more invested in being a premium airline that had a lot of frills for their customers. I don't know if that makes any sense, but there you go.

Now, for the topic of this thread ó I'm not fond of CLT. Too narrow, too crowded, kind of dirty, and somewhat rude employees. I actually prefer PHL.
BWISkyGuy likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2024, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Literal text from a friend just now "CLT already sucked - it's worse when the worse when the walkways don't work"
Old Feb 28, 2024, 5:50 pm

Programs: AA 1MM/Gold, Marriott Gold
B & C at CLT remind me of C at STL in the heyday of TWA, with a seemingly never ended wall of people coming at you.

that being said, itís a really easy airport for O&D traffic. And there are some decent, local eats, just need to know where to look. Looking forward to the bridges from the hour garage opening to make that access even easier.
Old Feb 29, 2024, 4:26 am

Programs: DL PM, BA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Radisson Premium, Wyndham Gold, GE/CLEAR
Let's sum up my last few CLT layovers.

1) Day before Thanksgiving: Place was a madhouse and had a connection from A4 to the end of E, thankfully I didn't end up with one of those crappy 30 minute connections this time and had a couple hours. Decided to walk around a bit, and the B/C gates were absolutely disgusting. Both of them somehow REEKED of like dead animal. They smelled like something my dog would roll in outside and come in the house smelling rancid. Food options I'm not sure I'd call limited, but the options on hand just weren't all that great. I went to this place I think was called Salserito's or something in the atrium. Got an extremely mediocre burrito for $23 which is like JFK prices. It was like a Walmart brand version of Qdoba in terms of quality but double the price. Even Qdoba at ATL isn't that bad. Then my connection out of E, I don't even need to explain myself on that one, E is horrific.

2) Three nights before Christmas: Now this one was a real shocker to me. This was the night they had that one off bank of flights departing between 12-1AM. I gave myself a 2.5hr layover since I didn't trust things to be on time that late at night and my first flight was from EWR. The flight to CLT did indeed end up being delayed because they kept doing musical planes on our flight and kept giving our inbound (also coming from CLT) a plane that was supposed to land at CLT at the same time the CLT-EWR leg was supposed to depart. Ended up leaving 90 minutes late, and we made up a lot of time, landed at CLT at 10:50PM. My connection to JAX was at 12:25AM. Then I foolishly thought that at that hour we'd have no issues getting a gate and getting off very soon. Nope! Even at 11PM, this place is jam packed with a crap ton of AA jets waiting on gates in every corner. We had to wait for a gate til 11:35. Really glad I gave myself that big buffer or else I would've been screwed. Get in the terminal, this place is slam packed wall to wall with bodies like it's 8AM on a Monday morning. Only place I could breathe was the atrium, but my connection was from the end of B to the middle of C which isn't a bad one but both B and C were a complete cluster. Got to the gate as they were about to start boarding, and then was on my way.

3) Two nights after New Year's Day: Was coming in on an E145 so I got blessed with arriving in the E gates again. They were just as bad as they always are, don't worry. As usual too, wall to wall packed with bodies. People moving like sloths with zero urgency trying to make it as hard as possible to get around them. My connection was out of the end of C, C19. I finally get down there, and they have like 6 mainline gates all bunched up in the corner back there and of course all of them were being used and flights out of all 6 were going at around the same time. Not a single seat anywhere in sight. People standing everywhere, sitting in the middle of the floor, etc. There was nowhere you could go, and anywhere you went you were in the way of something. I hate gate lice more than anyone but these gates make it impossible to not be gate lice, there's nowhere to go to get out of the way of things. It reminded me of the north end of D at ATL, except the north end of D is only RJs on Delta, not 6 completely full A321s bunched in.

Also just a side note, this is a walking oriented airport, so why is it that every time I go through there I come across multiple moving walkways that are shut off?
wrp96, LAXJFKesq and beachmouse like this.
Old Mar 1, 2024, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by iplaybass
35 minute layovers, and it's crowded. It's also inconvenient for trips to the west coast. AA, in their infinite wisdom, would rather I book STL-CLT-SAN with the 35 minute/3 hour connection, or have me pay $300 or more to travel through any mid-continent hub. Of all the airports to choose a longer layover, CLT is the worst. I have Admiral's Club membership for that reason; I prefer long layovers to misconnects and being rebooked in a middle seat in E on the next flight. Domestic F may not be anything special, but my balky knees sure appreciate the extra room.

Oh, and A319s to the Caribbean with their limited F and packed seating.
We always pick the long layovers and time in the AC, no matter what and through where we book. Unfortunately, AA invariably has last-minute scheduling changes, and we end up with unmanageable, under-one hour connections. I have a mobility impairment and travel with my own wheelchair, something that is reflected in my travel record. The 40-minute connection times do not work for me (by the time everyone is off the plane, my wheelchair has been brought up, and the aisle chair is on board, a good fifteen to twenty minutes have usually elapsed). So I keep having to check my flights, and, when AA changes my connections, I have to call and have my flights changed to something more reasonable, with my class of service (domestic F, international J) available. I hate that they do this, but that's how it goes with AA. Very frustrating.
iplaybass likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2024, 8:53 am
S80

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA 1K, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ysolde
We always pick the long layovers and time in the AC, no matter what and through where we book. Unfortunately, AA invariably has last-minute scheduling changes, and we end up with unmanageable, under-one hour connections. I have a mobility impairment and travel with my own wheelchair, something that is reflected in my travel record. The 40-minute connection times do not work for me (by the time everyone is off the plane, my wheelchair has been brought up, and the aisle chair is on board, a good fifteen to twenty minutes have usually elapsed). So I keep having to check my flights, and, when AA changes my connections, I have to call and have my flights changed to something more reasonable, with my class of service (domestic F, international J) available. I hate that they do this, but that's how it goes with AA. Very frustrating.
Unfortunately it's like that with all airlines, not just AA. They don't understand that folks want longer connections for a whole variety of reasons (mobility, risk averse/middle seat avoidance, to relax instead of run, etc), so will rebook to the shortest connection possible.
BWISkyGuy likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2024, 2:10 pm

Programs: DL PM, BA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Radisson Premium, Wyndham Gold, GE/CLEAR
Sounds like AA is increasing to 400 flights a day through CLT on peak days in April, just what CLT needs, more flights!
N830MH and prathetkrungthep like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.